I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

22 minutes ago, KapLovesCastro said:

and why do you @Warfish feel so much desire to hear people crying over the name change.

Since you ask, I'll tell you.

It's basic human decency to me.  Basic human respect.  We should be beyond racial slurs and racial stereotypes of minorities as a form of entertainment for a white majority.  We should be better than that.  In my view, support for keeping the name exemplifies a massive lack of empathy for an oppressed minority, specifically a minority that WE all but exterminated in some of the worst crimes in modern human history.

I would recommend a visit the the National Museum of the American Indian here in DC for those who think the name is great.  You may find it enlightening.

That, and I cannot stand Redskins fans generally, and enjoy their suffering generally, lol.  Comes with the territory of being a Jets Fan-in-Exile down here for 35+ years.

You were one of whom started crying after not having a problem with the name for the majority of your life. 

dump/lock/I’m banned

3 2 1...

I've had a problem with the name since the day I was old enough to understand it, and most certainly since I moved down here.

Also, just curious, why is my being happy at the name change "crying"?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

1) Just because someone doesn't agree with you on what is racist or not, should not elicit a suggestion that they don't exist.

2) If someone who is part of the recognized culture being slandered, through the use of a generalized slur, is not offended, what does that tell us about the manufactured outrage by another culture?

When I hear a slur against any group, religion, nationality, race, I generally view the person using the invective as a mean spirited prick.  It's not manufactured it's something I feel in my gut.  Just because a minority group may have become numb or no longer has the energy to go against the majority doesn't make it any less of a slur.  The slur actually impacts the person using it along with the person it's against.  They both are demeaned by it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Strictly talking about the Jets, but if they changed name or location I’m out. Probably just about the only couple of things that could make me stop. 

Name change and youre out?  

Because?  Other than who cares you can convince yourself that youre rooting for the same team and players, right?

• WTF? 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Name change and youre out?  

Been listening to local radio all day, that is a common comment by many of the DC area callers calling in today.

They're done because of the name change.  Some plan (they say) to root for other teams in other cities.

Just now, Warfish said:

Been listening to local radio all day, that is a common comment by many of the DC area callers calling in today.

They're done because of the name change.  Some plan (they say) to root for other teams in other cities.

Just an emotional reaction.  They will calm down. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One thing, I've long heard the "If they do such and suck I'm done". line of threats.  

I agree, its an emotional response.   Never plays out, its one of those things we say thinking it makes a difference to anyone.  I kind of figure if a team changes their name and it moves you to stop rooting, you never really were a fan.  I didnt root as hard as I have, invested just shy of 40 years into season tickets to move on over a name change.  I can't imagine anyone in all the tailgate groups I've been a part of doing so either.

We'll see

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Just an emotional reaction.  They will calm down. 

Oh aye, I have no doubt.  A few will stay gone, like a few quit over the Kap kneeling, but most will be back.  Especially if the new name/logo is good, and ESPECIALLY if they win.  Winning cures all ills.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

even thinking of changing from New York to New Jersey would drop the value of the franchise at least 800 million dollars.

I don't think so.  New Jersey is where the Jets have been for 38 years, the fanbase is in New Jersey, and the valuation is based on its current New Jersey location.  I'm not feeling any outrage, but I'm sure there are some proud New Jerseyans out there who do.

SAR I

56 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Ok for anyone who doesn't see the name as racist in any way. How would you feel about a new team named the Yellowskins with this logo??

Yellowskins.jpg

Oh and btw, I'd be over the new name for the Jets in about 2 minutes

THIS.

Remember the quote, "when you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way" Do you root for the Jets because of the name or because of the team?

I'd root for the NYJ even if they'd change their name to the Green & White as an example.

People crying bloody murder over this issue need to put on their big boy pants and get over it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't think so.  New Jersey is where the Jets have been for 38 years, the fanbase is in New Jersey, and the valuation is based on its current New Jersey location.  I'm not feeling any outrage, but I'm sure there are some proud New Jerseyans out there who do.

SAR I

Jenni 'JWoww' Farley Pretended To Be Asleep During This Hilarious ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We look nothing like that in Bergen County, FYI.

SAR I

The New Jersey Cugines? Think Italians (good chunk of neighbors, friends and relatives by marriage) and Irish mostly don't care. Can't speak for other groups."The Sopranos" was largely set in Bergen County. 

Cleveland Indians is odd. Franchises back then ran through nicknames all the time.Yankees were the Highlanders, Dodgers were the Bs and the Robins, Red Sox were the Beaneaters, Indians were the Spiders. They became the Indians to honor a player, Napoleon Lajoie, who was himself Native American. Cultural norms change, so be it. Don't think the Braves or Chiefs or names of specific tribes like the Seminoles or the Sioux or the Blackhawks are disrespectful, but that's one guy's opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The New Jersey Cugines? Think Italians (good chunk of neighbors, friends and relatives by marriage) and Irish mostly don't care. Can't speak for other groups."The Sopranos" was largely set in Bergen County. 

Cleveland Indians is odd. Franchises back then ran through nicknames all the time.Yankees were the Highlanders, Dodgers were the Bs and the Robins, Red Sox were the Beaneaters, Indians were the Spiders. They became the Indians to honor a player, Napoleon Lajoie, who was himself Native American. Cultural norms change, so be it. Don't think the Braves or Chiefs or names of specific tribes like the Seminoles or the Sioux or the Blackhawks are disrespectful, but that's one guy's opinion. 

I don't think any of this matters.  If a 90 year old nickname is deemed offensive, just pick another one.  The NFL team from Washington wears burgundy and yellow uniforms.  The name can change, the identity isn't lost because it lives in the fans.  Just like the Jets.  Didn't matter if we played in the Mets stadium, the Giants stadium, or our own stadium.  Wherever 80,000 Jets fans congregate is Jets stadium.

SAR I

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Ok for anyone who doesn't see the name as racist in any way. How would you feel about a new team named the Yellowskins with this logo??

Yellowskins.jpg

Oh and btw, I'd be over the new name for the Jets in about 2 minutes

That’s a term of honor Dammit!

Just waiting for Toronto to get a team anyways... 

no but really I think as long as they keep the green and white colors scheme.. I’d be fine with it. 

The Jets is not a great name, I prefer names that have a connection with the community and the area. 

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

Exactly right. 

Not that it's a perfect comparison but when Miami University (Ohio) changed from the Redskins to the RedHawks, people threw a fit for about an hour after it happened. 

20+ years later nobody even remembers. 

I never even knew they used to be anything but the RedHawks.  And given that my Dad went to grad school at Kent State, we do a pretty good job of following the MAC.  

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Don't think the Braves or Chiefs or names of specific tribes like the Seminoles or the Sioux or the Blackhawks are disrespectful, but that's one guy's opinion. 

Of course not, as long as they get permission from that particular tribe, like FSU did.  THAT is a way to truly honor them, as opposed to what Washington was doing all those years.

Most indigenous people would strongly prefer being called by their tribe than being called "Native Americans" or "Indigenous People".  Because the Sioux, Algonquins, Seminoles, Cherokees....they're all very different from each other.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I never even knew they used to be anything but the RedHawks.  And given that my Dad went to grad school at Kent State, we do a pretty good job of following the MAC.  

Which pretty much proves the point I was making lol. 

In their situation, Roethlisberger played just a couple years after they changed the name and it was the most relevance the school ever had, so they all quickly forgot about the Skins name. 

Randomly, I went to one of the games during his time there when he played against an Urban Meyer led Bowling Green team, the entire game was ******* pouring down, the stadium was a lake and they kept playing, no exaggeration my feet were in about a foot of water while sitting on the bench.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

You must be from brooklyn. Cugine is a word I've only heard in brooklyn. When I would use the word here in NJ I'd have to explain its meaning. They call them guidos here

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Imagine spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to build your perfect man cave spending decades to collecting the right pieces then having all of that ruined because some 19 year old college girl read an article about native Americans and feels like she can save the world by accusing everyone else of racism and making them change everything?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What about the Jetskins?

Remember a few years back Snyder was obsessed with getting all our players (Coles, Thomas).  That was their new nickname for a year