I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

15 hours ago, Biggs said:

When I hear a slur against any group, religion, nationality, race, I generally view the person using the invective as a mean spirited prick.  It's not manufactured it's something I feel in my gut.  Just because a minority group may have become numb or no longer has the energy to go against the majority doesn't make it any less of a slur.  The slur actually impacts the person using it along with the person it's against.  They both are demeaned by it.  

Person says something you don't agree with, you feel in your gut they are a prick.  There is only one reaction for all people.  Sounds about right.  

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Person says something you don't agree with, you feel in your gut they are a prick.  There is only one reaction for all people.  Sounds about right.  

Steve, do you think the name Redskins and the logo should be retained?

If so, why?

If not, why not?

@CanadaSteve

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

The New Jersey Cugines? Think Italians (good chunk of neighbors, friends and relatives by marriage) and Irish mostly don't care. Can't speak for other groups."The Sopranos" was largely set in Bergen County. 

Cleveland Indians is odd. Franchises back then ran through nicknames all the time.Yankees were the Highlanders, Dodgers were the Bs and the Robins, Red Sox were the Beaneaters, Indians were the Spiders. They became the Indians to honor a player, Napoleon Lajoie, who was himself Native American. Cultural norms change, so be it. Don't think the Braves or Chiefs or names of specific tribes like the Seminoles or the Sioux or the Blackhawks are disrespectful, but that's one guy's opinion. 

Didn't the Redskins say they took the name to "honor" their coach, who was supposedly Sioux?  That and because they were playing at Fenway and wanted to distance themselves from the Braves.  Red Sox, Redskins.  Of course, the guy turned out to be a phony trying to dodge the draft.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?  Who would they be booing?  FedEx and Nike?

I am booing them right now from the comfort of my living room

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think it will be Redtails

Honor the Tuskegee Airmen?  Two birds, one stone.  I met some of those guys at a Knicks game way back when.  It'll be a little late, but they were a great group of guys.

• Upvote 1

the name isn't really up to me so i don't think i'd care that much.  however, i would also find it very hard to believe that anyone can find some sort of cultural appropriation with the name "jets".  as far as i know the only time the name "jets" ever had even a hint of prejudice is when it was used as the nemesis of the sharks in west side story.  and the jets were the white gang.

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

You must be from brooklyn. Cugine is a word I've only heard in brooklyn. When I would use the word here in NJ I'd have to explain its meaning. They call them guidos here

Cugine works fine in Monmouth County.  

Though they spell it Cuzine

Not my team. Don't care how their fans are reacting or what they wind up being called. That team, its ownership and the fan base can kiss my ass. 

This change has been inevitable, shocked it took this long, tbh. 

What does frighten me, though, is the weaponization of accusations of racism in every aspect of our society, and judging the past through a postmodern context. There is no "unity" on the horizon, and I worry about what the next step in this "culture war" will be...

Oh, any opinions on this gentleman,  or do we ignore? I see a lot of hot takes and moral grandstanding in this thread,  anyone care to excoriate or virtue signal?

636045471570783752-C03-CHRISTINE-12-53486685.jpeg.10a07af734f0275dcdaaf9e5a75e0ba9.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the name isn't really up to me so i don't think i'd care that much.  however, i would also find it very hard to believe that anyone can find some sort of cultural appropriation with the name "jets".  as far as i know the only time the name "jets" ever had even a hint of prejudice is when it was used as the nemesis of the sharks in west side story.  and the jets were the white gang.

They are coming for the Rangers next your user name may become ous..B)

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Cugine works fine in Monmouth County.  

Though they spell it Cuzines

maybe in manalapan......which is basically brooklyn in new jersey, lol

edit: i just looked back and see your location is manalapan.......that was a great guess huh? lol

14 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Texas Rangers are in trouble as that was a group of wranglers with a bigoted history.

The New York Rangers are named after the original owner, "Tex" Rickard, as a cute play on words.  Tex's Rangers as in, "they were owned by a guy named Tex".  Not the same thing.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

maybe in manalapan......which is basically brooklyn in new jersey, lol

edit: i just looked back and see your location is manalapan.......that was a great guess huh? lol

Very true.  Whole lot of NY'rs running around.

LOL

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

By "they" you mean a single opinion writer at the Washington Post, whose article has been near-universally mocked on Twitter when she tweeted a link to it?

The hysteria of what's next, but what about, slippery slope is truly in overdrive now.

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

A person or group of people that can engage without racial or ethnic invective I can engage with.  When it gets into ethnic and racial slurs I realize I'm dealing with a low life and it's useless to engage.  Those people in my eyes clearly lack self respect and have an agenda that's simply not worth engaging.  

If you're comfortable around people who use racial and ethnic slurs and you think it doesn't demean them or you have it.   I don't pretend sucking up to pricks is my job.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Texas Rangers are in trouble as that was a group of wranglers with a bigoted history.

The New York Rangers are named after the original owner, "Tex" Rickard, as a cute play on words.  Tex's Rangers as in, "they were owned by a guy named Tex".  Not the same thing.

SAR I

So, the New York Rangers are not the same thing because they were not named after the Texas Rangers?  They were named after the owner Tex?  How is Tex's Rangers a cute play on words and Texas Rangers not the same thing?  If the Redskins were named after Red Schoendiest would that make it a cute play on words? 

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By "they" you mean a single opinion writer at the Washington Post, whose article has been near-universally mocked on Twitter when she tweeted a link to it?

The hysteria of what's next, but what about, slippery slope is truly in overdrive now.

Near-universally mocked on twitter should not make one shred of difference here.  If we took a vote and the majority said that Redskins should stay, would that change your opinion of right and wrong? 

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Imagine spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to build your perfect man cave spending decades to collecting the right pieces then having all of that ruined because some 19 year old college girl read an article about native Americans and feels like she can save the world by accusing everyone else of racism and making them change everything?

Such hardship.  Such suffering.

If only the outrage over systemic racism matched the outrage over changing a team name.  If only.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

So, the New York Rangers are not the same thing because they were not named after the Texas Rangers?  They were named after the owner Tex?  How is Tex's Rangers a cute play on words and Texas Rangers not the same thing?  If the Redskins were named after Red Schoendiest would that make it a cute play on words? 

First off, we are the New York Rangers.  Texas has nothing to do with us  

Tex Rickard was neither from Texas nor a Texas Ranger. He was a businessman. “Rangers” is just a name like the Army Rangers or Forest Rangers or any other type of Ranger.  Tex was our owner. So we are Tex’s Rangers.  Well, the New York Rangers owned by some guy named Tex.  The NY sportswriters coined that phrase. 

We are named after a decent man. So we good.

SAR I

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The New York Rangers were named after Army Rangers that’s why their colors are red, white and blue

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The New York Rangers were named after Army Rangers that’s why their colors are red, white and blue

New-York-Americans-Jersey-1941.jpg

Its a good thing the Rangers won the NHL battle of New York back in the 20’s or we’d be forced to change our name this week.  Clearly this is about as awful a name as any sports team could ever have these days.  

Hmm....Washington Americans. That has an interesting ring to it.  

SAR I

7 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Imagine spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to build your perfect man cave spending decades to collecting the right pieces then having all of that ruined because some 19 year old college girl read an article about native Americans and feels like she can save the world by accusing everyone else of racism and making them change everything?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

having a "man cave" is kinda corny anyway

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Imagine thinking that your "man cave" is more important the the multi-century systemic oppression, abuse and outright murder of entire populations (plural) of native peoples.  Imagine hating some kid because she thinks she can do something good.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/13/2020 at 9:48 AM, Warfish said:

I've been closely following the Redskins name issue (full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the pending name-change,  no matter what the new name turns out to be).

I am absolutely LOVING how pissed off so many Redskins fans are over this issue.  Especially today, they are in full blown outrage mode, claiming they'll drop the team and never watch again (despite claiming to be Skins fans for 30, 40, 50 years, etc.)

Doesn't seem to matter that it's just a name.  Doesn't seem to matter that the team is the same team (this isn't the Ravens/Browns issue).  Doesn't seem to matter that it's still the home town Washington Team (I'm in the DC area, hence why I hear this all day not Jets stuff, lol).  And winning/losing is rarely cited as a reason, this is 100% the name.  Seems the colors will stay the same, so it's literally just a name and logo.

I got to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying this.  

With that said, how would YOU, as a Jets Fan, feel is next year Woody Johnson comes back to the States and says "the name Jets is old fashioned and boring and outdated, it was cool in the 60's when Jets were the new thing, now, it's old tech.  We're going to change the name in 2021".

Would you be like the Redskins fans and be in full outrage?

Would you stop being a Jets/New Name Fan and seek out a new team?

Would you no longer see the new named team as "your team"?

Would you (as some of the pissed off callers today) start rooting for the Bills, the Patriots, the Phins?  Some of these guys are saying they'll start being Philly fans, lol.

And do you think it would be different because of the socio-political aspects of the Skins name change (i.e. the pressure, the political correctness, etc.) vs. "just changing it" in my scenario above?

What do you think?

I'd be annoyed but would survive. But that's just for a random name change. For "your team name is a literal racial slur" is be just fine, because that would be a reasonable reason

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

1) Not sure why you think it would be ruined

2) not sure why you think that matters even a little bit. The name was a slur. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Fish if a Indian reservation had a baseball team and called themselves the Redskins would that be allowed or should only white people decide what they can call themselves?? B)

Is this relevant to the Washington NFL football team?

Lets look at other examples, African American music artists frequently refer to themselves as the N-word.  Some LGBTQ folks call themselves Queer, a historic slur.  And that is considered acceptable by social scientists, a form of taking ownership of terms that were previously used by/to oppress them. 

Personally, I prefer that ethnic/racial slurs like the N-word simply go away and stop being used by everyone.  But it's their choice, same as it would be the Native Americans choice.  Same as it's your choice to use them too.  

Freedom of speech isn't a one-way street.  You (the royal you) have the right to say and think anything you want.  And everyone else has the same freedom to think of you what they wish for you having said or thought it.  It's amazing to me how often some folks forget the other side of freedom of speech, it's not freedom from criticism or social repercussions.

If you, or Dan Snyder, wanted to name YOUR NFL team after an ethnic/racial slur for your own racial/ethnic group......ok, I guess, good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is this relevant to the Washington NFL football team?

Lets look at other examples, African American music artists frequently refer to themselves as the N-word.  And that is called "taking ownership of the word".  Personally, I prefer that ethnic/racial slurs like the N-word simply go away and stop being used by everyone.  But it's their choice, same as it would be the Native Americans choice.  Note, Indians live in India.  Native Americans are the aboriginal peoples of North America.  

And if you, or Dan Snyder, wanted to name YOUR NFL team after an ethnic/racial slur for your own racial/ethnic group......ok, I guess, if being ignorant and not making money is your plan.

Freedom of speech isn't a one-way street.  You (the royal you) have the right to say and think anything you want.  And everyone else has the same freedom to think of you what they wish for you having said or thought it.  It's amazing to me how often some folks forget the other side of freedom of speech, it's not freedom from criticism or social repercussions.

I understand your point but it was never a problem until the cancel culture started..I'm most likely twice your age (Or Close) but when I grew up redskin wasn't racist to me nor was the Indians calling whites Pale faces.. We saw the Indians wearing red dye so we figured it all made sense at the time.. But I agree with your thoughts on freedom of speech too bad institutions of higher learning don't..