I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

28 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I understand your point but it was never a problem until the cancel culture started.

No Sav, it was always a problem, it was always a slur, and Native Americans have protested it for many decades.  But for a loooooong time, no one cared to listen. 

It amazed me that people think "woke", "Cancel culture" and similar are actually insults or bad things.

Was is being woke and engaging in cancel culture when the Nazis tore down swistikas and Nazi imagery post war?  Were there Germans bitching about "erasing history" when that sh*t was destroyed?  

Cancel culture isn't new.  Society has always engaged in ostracizing individuals for various reasons.  It used to be that minorities were canceled and their accomplishments ignored in the teaching of American history.  Read up on how the UK treated the guy who cracked the enigma, for example.  Without him, we may not win WWII in the west.  

People who engage in behaviors society finds reprehensible are "cancelled", a less educated word for being dislike, persecuted, excluded, ostracized, for the reprehensible thing they did or think or promote.  Pedophiles, for example, are cancelled and always have been.  Rightfully so.  

We are seeing a movement to even the scales in society, to finally have equality work in both directions.  Where racism is cause for cancellation, instead being a minority being a cause for cancellation.  And yes, that means some things the majority felt were not bad, but were, will be lost.  What we will gain is worlds better.  Unless having the Redskins means more to you than respecting another culture we all but exterminated, of course.  It hurts my brain that so many people fail to understand this, and think losing a name like Redskins makes THEM the oppressed party in society.....

.I'm most likely twice your age (Or Close) but when I grew up redskin wasn't racist to me nor was the Indians calling whites Pale faces.  We saw the Indians wearing red dye so we figured it all made sense at the time..

No Sav, it was always racist.  White people,  by and large, just didn't give a ****. 

That is the concept your generation (and much of mine) seem to having so much trouble with.  That so many things we thought, wrongly, was just innocent or fun, was only innocent and fun if you were a white man.  Calling black men the N-word was always racist, even when it was widely done.  Calling women broads and telling them could only be secretaries was always sexist, even when it was widely done.  Beating up homosexuals was always bigotry, even when it was widely done.  It's just that being a member of the majority in possession of almost universal social and political power in the United States, and never facing any of the above, near-completely sheltered you (and I too) from most of that.  

We know better today.  We're better educated today, and more sensitive to how minority and long-oppressed groups feel when their culture is turned into a joke for the amusement of the peoples who slaughtered them and kicked them off their land in what would today be an unquestionable genocide.  The least we can collectively do after that genocide is to respect their culture a little, and not use them as mascots or Halloween costumes.

But I agree with your thoughts on freedom of speech too bad institutions of higher learning don't.. 

No disagreement from me on that one.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It amazed me that people think "woke", "Cancel culture" and similar are actually insults or bad things.

Was is being woke and engaging in cancel culture when the Nazis tore down swistikas and Nazi imagery post war?  Were there Germans bitching about "erasing history" when that sh*t was destroyed?  

Cancel culture isn't new.  Society has always engaged in ostracizing individuals for various reasons.  It used to be that minorities were canceled and their accomplishments ignored in the teaching of American history.  Read up on how the UK treated the guy who cracked the enigma, for example.  Without him, we may not win WWII in the west.  

People who engage in behaviors society finds reprehensible are "cancelled", a less educated word for being dislike, persecuted, excluded, ostracized, for the reprehensible thing they did or think or promote.  Pedophiles, for example, are cancelled and always have been.  Rightfully so.  

We are seeing a movement to even the scales in society, to finally have equality work in both directions.  and yes, that means some things the majority felt were not bad, but were, will be lost.  What we will gain is worlds better.  Unless having the Redskins means more to you than respecting another culture we all but exterminated, of course.  It hurts my brain that so many people fail to understand this, and think losing a name like Redskins makes THEM the oppressed party in society.....

No Sav, it was always racist.  White people,  by and large, just didn't give a ****. 

That is the concept your generation (and much of mine) seem to having so much trouble with.  That so many things we thought, wrongly, was just innocent or fun, was only innocent and fun if you were a white man.  Calling black men the N-word was always racist, even when it was widely done.  Calling women broads and telling them could only be secretaries was always sexist, even when it was widely done.  Beating in homosexuals was always bigotry, even when it was widely done.  It's just that being a member of the majority in possession of almost universal social and political power in the United States near-completely sheltered you (and I too) from most of that.  

We know better today.  We're better educated today, and more sensitive to how minority and long-oppressed groups feel when their culture is turned into a joke for the amusement of the peoples who slaughtered them and kicked them off their land in what would today be an unquestionable genocide.  The least we can collectively do after that genocide is to respect their culture a little, and not use them as mascots or Halloween costumes.

I can agree with not giving somethings that could be racist or distressing to others a second thought years ago was wrong, but the force behind most (Not All) of today's changes is Marxist not just to right some wrongs.. As far as Halloween costumes go I don't see most of that as harmful(depending on the costume) no dressing up like the Canadian prime minister did for a example..B) 

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

.....most (Not All) of today's changes is Marxist not just to right some wrongs.

I can't respond to this without breaking Max's rules, and this thread is already right up against those rules since the OP anyway.  So I have to stop here.

Trust me on this....it's not Marxist.  Marx himself was a bigot and a racist.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No Sav, it was always a problem, it was always a slur, and Native Americans have protested it for many decades.  But for a loooooong time, no one cared to listen. 

We are seeing a movement to even the scales in society, to finally have equality work in both directions.  and yes, that means some things the majority felt were not bad, but were, will be lost.  What we will gain is worlds better.  Unless having the Redskins means more to you than respecting another culture we all but exterminated, of course.  It hurts my brain that so many people fail to understand this, and think losing a name like Redskins makes THEM the oppressed party in society.....

That is the concept your generation (and much of mine) seem to having so much trouble with.  That so many things we thought, wrongly, was just innocent or fun, was only innocent and fun if you were a white man.  Calling black men the N-word was always racist, even when it was widely done.  Calling women broads and telling them could only be secretaries was always sexist, even when it was widely done.  Beating up homosexuals was always bigotry, even when it was widely done.  It's just that being a member of the majority in possession of almost universal social and political power in the United States, and never facing any of the above, near-completely sheltered you (and I too) from most of that.  

Better "educated" by the factories disguised as pillars of higher education that want to keep brainwashing our youth.

Keep them angry , make them feel thy're oppressed so that they'll revolt against capitalism and the betterment of themselves all the while reaping the rewards of the chaos by promising them they have the chance to re-write history.  Genocide is happening but not at the hands of the so called racists, its happening because the so so called leaders are allowing people  to murder each other and cities to go up in flames to protect their own self interests. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can't respond to this without breaking Max's rules, and this thread is already right up against those rules since the OP anyway.  So I have to stop here.

Trust me on this....it's not Marxist.  Marx himself was a bigot and a racist.  

Hmmm They didn't rip down the statue of Lenin in Seattle I presume..

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Better "educated" by the factories disguised as pillars of higher education that want to keep brainwashing our youth.

As someone who goes to one of those institutions, I can tell you, you have no earthly idea what you're talking about.  

When was the last time you attended a University class Mehl?

9 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Ah, the classic "but what about...."defense.  

Usually the next line is "why should we take down statues of our brave and wonderful Confederates when we have a statue of Lenin".  I certainly hope you're not one of those Sav.

Of course, those going that way don't generally know the history of the statue, or the bohemian hippie neighborhood it's in where it's one of several oddities, or the fact the statue is on private (not public) property, or the fact that is vandalized and painted up on an almost daily basis for this, that or the other cause or protest, or that people have in fact been asking to have it removed, or the fact that the owner is looking to sell it and have it moves, etc, etc, etc, etc......

35 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It was ripped down.  In the former Czechoslovakia.  It was found in a scrapyard.  It was a private purchase and I believe displayed on private property.  It's for sale if you want to buy it and melt it down.  

FYI there are plenty of people in the legislature who want to get rid of it.  Tough one to rip down.  It weighs 7 tons.  

On 7/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, slats said:

When I finally get TV service in Mexico, I'll probably be connected to a Cincinnati feed. Don't ask me why, that's what the guy told me. If I want NY in HD, I need bigger, more expensive equipment. So the Bengals will probably be a team I follow a bit. Probably see quite a bit of the Cleveland Mayfields, too. 

But yeah, if Washington changed the name to the Glass Onions, it would probably peak my interest. 

Have you finally relocated? I thought you were targeting South America, in any event.. congrats !!

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As someone who goes to one of those institutions, I can tell you, you have no earthly idea what you're talking about.  

When was the last time you attended a University class Mehl?

When I graduated college is irrelevant  . Today's institutions are breeding grounds for leftist propaganda , follow the "corporate" money that gets dumped into these bastions of higher learning - then tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

When I graduated college is irrelevant  . Today's institutions are breeding grounds for leftist propaganda , follow the "corporate" money that gets dumped into these bastions of higher learning - then tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Why would corporate money go into leftists institutions?  Patents on communes ran out a long time ago.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Have you finally relocated? I thought you were targeting South America, in any event.. congrats !!

I’m actually up in NY visiting this month but, yeah, I’ve been in Mexico for the last six months and I’m already looking forward to getting back. It’s been great. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m actually up in NY visiting this month but, yeah, I’ve been in Mexico for the last six months and I’m already looking forward to getting back. It’s been great. 

Whereabouts? I'm thinking of expat and was considering costa rico but really only started my research.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Translation, you either never went to University, or you haven't been in a Uni classroom in multiple decades.

I will tell you, as an actual adult student in an actual institution of higher learning, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And let me ASK YOU.............,,,who has all the (((money)))???????!?

Clearly it’s the professors driving their used Kias that they halfway live out of in their parking spots they can barely afford that are indoctrinating the youths with all that Google money. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Whereabouts? I'm thinking of expat and was considering costa rico but really only started my research.

I’m in Puerto Morelos on the Riviera Maya. About a half hour from the Cancun airport. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Translation, you either never went to University, or you haven't been in a Uni classroom in multiple decades.

I will tell you, as an actual adult student in an actual institution of higher learning, that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sheep be sheep . You can believe whatever you want its a free country - at least for now. 

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its not so much who has the money but where the money comes from. 

For the vast majority of universities, money comes from state and local support plus tuition, it’s not nearly enough and teachers see absolute dick of it. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about and quite frankly it’s ******* insulting. We are underpaid and overworked to the point where indoctrinating someone doesn’t even cross my mind because of how tired I am literally all of the time. It’s a thankless job especially in this current climate and reading bullsh*t like this makes me question my career decisions. So thanks for your expertise on the matter that you clearly acquired with about 30 minutes of googling, conspiracy thinking, and zero firsthand experience, but maybe next time perhaps consider thinking about the words coming out of your mouth and how ridiculous you sound. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

For the vast majority of universities, money comes from state and local support plus tuition, it’s not nearly enough and teachers see absolute dick of it. You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about and quite frankly it’s ******* insulting. We are underpaid and overworked to the point where indoctrinating someone doesn’t even cross my mind because of how tired I am literally all of the time. It’s a thankless job especially in this current climate and reading bullsh*t like this makes me question my career decisions. So thanks for your expertise on the matter that you clearly acquired with about 30 minutes of googling, conspiracy thinking, and zero firsthand experience, but maybe next time perhaps consider thinking about the words coming out of your mouth and perhaps how ridiculous you sound. 

You think it goes to teachers - that's hilarious . Maybe you should be outraged at the people not paying you than at me for pointing it out. 

And sure all the money comes from state / local support and tuition ?. Take a look at the endowments and special interest groups and see where decisions really get made.