Jump to content

Leonard Williams to play out franchise tag with Giants


Recommended Posts

Just now, slats said:

We're both right. The Giants paid the balance of his salary, but the Jets had a big dead money hit. 

Getting a 3rd and a 5th was a great deal on it's own. You're talking about money, the reality is that the Jets paid Williams @ $18M for three and a half years of service and the jints will pay him just about the same amount for for one and a half years. Jets didn't get much out of their high first round pick, but the jints are now looking at giving up a high third for a year and a half of play and maybe hoping to get 3rd round comp pick back? It's either that, or paying a good DT/DE premium DL money. 

I'm happy about the picks before I see how Davis performs, and I'm feeling pretty good about Davis. 

I agree. The way the deal looks now, the Jets got something back for a good player they didn't want to give a second contract to.

The Giants didn't want to wait the half year until he came onto the FA market for some reason. They gave up the two picks, wanting the chance to sign him to a new deal, obviously that hasn't worked out yet.

I like everything I've heard about Davis also, but we'll see how he works out. My point was this hasn't yet become the steal everyone here thinks it is. Yet. (and, oh yeah... 80's claim the deal proved JD is a better GM is laughable.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

That’s 14 million more than what Leo would get in the open market if Dave Gettleman didn’t exist

Someone will pay him more because he still has the first round selection attached to his name but I cant see anyone paying remotely close to what the tag is. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KRL said:

Amazing to think Williams is going to pocket $29 million over 2019-2020 for doing nothing

I still don’t get how the guy thinks who he is.

i still don’t get how the Giants not only let themselves get heisted for not only a few draft picks but most importantly would be stuck paying this guy.

Any team can get virtually the SAME production from lots of street Free Agents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Someone will pay him more because he still has the first round selection attached to his name but I cant see anyone paying remotely close to what the tag is. 

Dave Gettleman is bidding against himself 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I still don’t get how the guy thinks who he is.

i still don’t get how the Giants not only let themselves get heisted for not only a few draft picks but most importantly would be stuck paying this guy.

Any team can get virtually the SAME production from lots of street Free Agents.

By virtue of getting the money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I agree. The way the deal looks now, the Jets got something back for a good player they didn't want to give a second contract to.

The Giants didn't want to wait the half year until he came onto the FA market for some reason. They gave up the two picks, wanting the chance to sign him to a new deal, obviously that hasn't worked out yet.

I like everything I've heard about Davis also, but we'll see how he works out. My point was this hasn't yet become the steal everyone here thinks it is. Yet. (and, oh yeah... 80's claim the deal proved JD is a better GM is laughable.)

I don't know, man, that was a pretty good get by Douglas for a player he was just gonna let walk at the end of the year. The jints inability to get him under contract is not a good look for them, either. Right now, they're looking at giving up a high 3rd and a 5th for a year and a half of service at $18M, then hoping for -at best- a comp 3rd rounder in 2022? 

Williams needs to have the best season of his career, and Gettleman has to get him signed long term, for the deal to possibly look good for them. It already looks very, very good for Douglas. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Williams enjoys what may be his one and only big-pay year in the NFL.  I wonder what the Giants offer was?  So Leo turns out to be an expensive 2-year Jag that cost a 5th rounder. Yikes. That's downright Maccagnanesque. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

My point was this hasn't yet become the steal everyone here thinks it is. Yet.

The deal is a total steal for JD and the Jets.  They were talking about what a negative mark on Gettlemans resume the deal was on TV a week ago.  

He gave away a prime pick and another pick for a player they could have had by waiting for the end of the season.  We used the 3rd on a prospect who when Williams is playing somewhere else will have some experience behind him.  

Theres no excuse.  That he got nothing out of the extra half season they bought by making a trade makes it worse.  At least if he were playing up to the level of a couple of years ago, when he was contributing something if not sacks but last season?  Nothing.  And why would it get better?  To let him walk and maybe get a comp pick?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...