Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Dak Prescott, Cowboys unlikely to reach long-term deal by deadline

Recommended Posts

https://www.nfl.com/news/dak-prescott-cowboys-unlikely-to-reach-long-term-deal-by-deadline

 

Dak Prescott, Cowboys unlikely to reach long-term deal by deadline

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

 

The deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign a long-term contract sits directly ahead, on Wednesday, July 15. Given the uncertainties surrounding the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it doesn't sound like there will be much action in the way of extensions this season, including Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott.

NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Monday there is not a lot of optimism a deal between Dallas and the signal-caller gets done before the deadline, per a source informed of the situation.

Slater did note that things could always change in the two days -- and as always deadlines spur action in the NFL -- but at this point, it sounds like it would be a semi-surprise if sides reached a multi-year pact.

If the July 15 deadline passes without a deal, Dak would play on the one-year, $31.4 million franchise tender. Dallas would then have to decide next year whether to tag the QB again for an even greater sum (120 percent of the previous season's tag amount).

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL NOW that there hasn't been a lot of dialogue between Prescott's agent and the Cowboys in recent days.

The biggest issue between the sides has been the length of the contract. The Cowboys are seeking a 5-year deal, while Prescott's camp prefers a 4-year pact. We'll see if either side is willing to bend in the next couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocker. To be quite honest, I think that Dak is such a product of his surrounding cast that if I were the Cowboys I would have seriously considered trading him and then selecting a new QB in the draft. We already have seen a version of that with Rosen and we will see it again, especially if Covid causes a flattening or recession in the cap over the new couple years.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Shocker. To be quite honest, I think that Dak is such a product of his surrounding cast that if I were the Cowboys I would have seriously considered trading him and then selecting a new QB in the draft. We already have seen a version of that with Rosen and we will see it again, especially if Covid causes a flattening or recession in the cap over the new couple years.

  • Step 1:  Cowboys trade Dak Prescott to the Bears for multiple 1st rounders.
  • Step 2:  Cowboys trade one of their extra 2021 1st rounders plus a 3rd rounder to Jets for Jamal Adams.
  • Step 3:  Welcome to the Andy Dalton show, baby!
  • Step 4:  Profit.
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Rosen might be a good guy for them to take a chance on.  He can probably be acquired on the cheap and he'd be working with an excellent supporting cast in Dallas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Josh Rosen might be a good guy for them to take a chance on.  He can probably be acquired on the cheap and he'd be working with an excellent supporting cast in Dallas.

They already have Andy Dalton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is depressing news for anyone who wanted Adams dumped on the Cowboys anytime soon. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

the lion king no GIF

And I'm one of the few people here who's ok with Dak trying to get as much money possible.

Just don't want that us to be that team that gives it to him

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas will dodge a huge bullet if he blasts his way out of town.

No team should be dumb enough to trade for that player and then pay him an outrageous salary.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry Jones is actually doing the right thing and not being a starf cker like usual

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dak should absolutely do what’s in his best interest and to earn as much as he possibly can.

I just think his demands are not in line with the realities of his situation. He’s going to regret not taking 35m/year for 5 years, because I firmly believe that’ll be the best offer he ever sees.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dallas will dodge a huge bullet if he blasts his way out of town.

No team should be dumb enough to trade for that player and then pay him an outrageous salary.

They should have traded him to a team like the Colts earlier in the offseason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dak should absolutely do what’s in his best interest and to earn as much as he possibly can.

I just think his demands are not in line with the realities of his situation. He’s going to regret not taking 35m/year for 5 years, because I firmly believe that’ll be the best offer he ever sees.

Dak could have a $120 million contract now but he and his agent are so deluded he thinks that would be him getting ripped off

 

Cowboys are doing the right thing with Dak as the jets are doing with Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be calling Washington about a Jamal for Scherff swap. They couldn’t agree either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Should be calling Washington about a Jamal for Scherff swap. They couldn’t agree either 

I’d do that in a heartbeat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King P said:

the lion king no GIF

And I'm one of the few people here who's ok with Dak trying to get as much money possible.

Just don't want that us to be that team that gives it to him

I feel ya.  That being said, is slightly overpaying the proven commodity better or worse than blowing a top 15 pick on an awful prospect and commiting a minimum of 3-4 years to him, ala Trubisky??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

No way.  Dak is currently trying to gouge the team that drafted him for every cent he can get, thus potentially hurting his chances of returning to a team that has provided him with a pretty perfect set of circumstances.

If he's willing to do that to Dallas, imagine what kind of money he'd be looking for from a team like ours?

No mercenaries at QB.  Outside of a few rare instances in NFL history, it's not a good idea.  Draft your QB.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I feel ya.  That being said, is slightly overpaying the proven commodity better or worse than blowing a top 15 pick on an awful prospect and commiting a minimum of 3-4 years to him, ala Trubisky??

Of course you'd rather pay Dak than draft the next Trubisky.  But you can't just assume that when you draft a QB high that he'll end up the next Trubisky. 

I'd much rather take my chances than massively overpay the "known" product.  The upside of potentially having an exciting young franchise QB under a cheap rookie deal strongly outweighs the cost of a mercenary QB.  Paying Dak, much like Minnesota paying Cousins, puts you in QB purgatory.  Because even if the QB is good, you're paying well above true market value and sacrificing the rest of the roster.

At least with a homegrown QB, there's a CHANCE you might be able to get a team-friendly contract out of it when the rookie deal ends.  After all, Mahomes' deal, despite its flashy big numbers, is very team-friendly.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No way.  Dak is currently trying to gouge the team that drafted him for every cent he can get, thus potentially hurting his chances of returning to a team that has provided him with a pretty perfect set of circumstances.

If he's willing to do that to Dallas, imagine what kind of money he'd be looking for from a team like ours?

No mercenaries at QB.  Outside of a few rare instances in NFL history, it's not a good idea.  Draft your QB.

 

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course you'd rather pay Dak than draft the next Trubisky.  But you can't just assume that when you draft a QB high that he'll end up the next Trubisky. 

I'd much rather take my chances than massively overpay the "known" product.  The upside of potentially having an exciting young franchise QB under a cheap rookie deal strongly outweighs the cost of a mercenary QB.  Paying Dak, much like Minnesota paying Cousins, puts you in QB purgatory.  Because even if the QB is good, you're paying well above true market value and sacrificing the rest of the roster.

At least with a homegrown QB, there's a CHANCE you might be able to get a team-friendly contract out of it when the rookie deal ends.  After all, Mahomes' deal, despite its flashy big numbers, is very team-friendly.

All fair points.  For the record, I'm not for signing Dak.  I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

That being said, and maybe this is my ego talking, I am not a gigantic fan of the next few QB draft classes (Outside of Lawrence, Fields, and Lance).  Sam Howell?  Kedon Slovis?  I don't know man.  Maybe Slovis, but it would take some massive convincing unless he pulls a Joe Burrow...and that's not even taking into account the amount of convincing the rest of this fanbase would need to draft another USC QB after, in this hypothetical, 2 busts (Personally, I think this is a BS point).

It also depends on where our roster is at.  If after 1-2 years Douglas has us in contention, but we're a QB away, do you go all in?  I guess it depends on who you ask.  It doesn't strike me as something Douglas would do...but again...for the sake of discussion I'm just throwing it out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

 

All fair points.  For the record, I'm not for signing Dak.  I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

That being said, and maybe this is my ego talking, I am not a gigantic fan of the next few QB draft classes (Outside of Lawrence, Fields, and Lance).  Sam Howell?  Kedon Slovis?  I don't know man.  Maybe Slovis, but it would take some massive convincing unless he pulls a Joe Burrow...and that's not even taking into account the amount of convincing the rest of this fanbase would need to draft another USC QB after, in this hypothetical, 2 busts (Personally, I think this is a BS point).

It also depends on where our roster is at.  If after 1-2 years Douglas has us in contention, but we're a QB away, do you go all in?  I guess it depends on who you ask.  It doesn't strike me as something Douglas would do...but again...for the sake of discussion I'm just throwing it out there.

 

The college QB market is so volatile.  You never know which QB's will "rise up" with strong performances/testing well/etc.  Or which QB's who were thought to be "sure bets" will fall off.  I don't even bother much thinking about future QB classes.  I just look at the one that's coming up in any given year.  Scouts and front offices can worry 2 QB classes ahead.

Going "all in" on a QB is something every franchise who does NOT have their QB has to do.  It's not even a question.  Whether the roster is ready or not, the moment we decide Darnold is NOT the guy is the moment we need to start looking for our new QB.  But even if Darnold fails next season, we don't absolutely HAVE to draft our QB of the future in the 2021 class.  We can bring in a veteran to compete and push the decision to 2022.  Take advantage of the QB rookie deal for as long as it allows us to do so.

In short....please, please ball out this year, Darnold.  Make it an easy decision for Douglas on what to do going forward.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I feel ya.  That being said, is slightly overpaying the proven commodity better or worse than blowing a top 15 pick on an awful prospect and commiting a minimum of 3-4 years to him, ala Trubisky??

I'd rather draft my QB and have him on a rookie de as lthen overpay for a guy like Dak, who is good, but you get the get the feeling he's being carried.

I'd rather take a shot at a Winston if he's available over giving Dak a monster deal if I'm being completely honest

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

The college QB market is so volatile.  You never know which QB's will "rise up" with strong performances/testing well/etc.  Or which QB's who were thought to be "sure bets" will fall off.  I don't even bother much thinking about future QB classes.  I just look at the one that's coming up in any given year.  Scouts and front offices can worry 2 QB classes ahead.

Going "all in" on a QB is something every franchise who does NOT have their QB has to do.  It's not even a question.  Whether the roster is ready or not, the moment we decide Darnold is NOT the guy is the moment we need to start looking for our new QB.  But even if Darnold fails next season, we don't absolutely HAVE to draft our QB of the future in the 2021 class.  We can bring in a veteran to compete and push the decision to 2022.  Take advantage of the QB rookie deal for as long as it allows us to do so.

In short....please, please ball out this year, Darnold.  Make it an easy decision for Douglas on what to do going forward.

 

5 minutes ago, King P said:

I'd rather draft my QB and have him on a rookie de as lthen overpay for a guy like Dak, who is good, but you get the get the feeling he's being carried.

I'd rather take a shot at a Winston if he's available over giving Dak a monster deal if I'm being completely honest

Pretty much agree with you both regarding all of this on a personal level.

One more curveball for you both though, lol.

Deshaun Watson, a much better QB than Dak, wants out in Houston, pulls the same thing as Prescott, and we still don't have a QB.  Do you make an exception?  Is a young QB of that level worth an exception in your eyes?  

Honestly, I'd say no to Dak...but yes to Watson.  I just think that it's an interesting talking point with both guys potentially hitting FA, even if Watson's chance is much smaller.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

 

Pretty much agree with you both regarding all of this on a personal level.

One more curveball for you both though, lol.

Deshaun Watson, a much better QB than Dak, wants out in Houston, pulls the same thing as Prescott, and we still don't have a QB.  Do you make an exception?  Is a young QB of that level worth an exception in your eyes?  

Honestly, I'd say no to Dak...but yes to Watson.

 

kelly rowland yes GIF

 

That would be a COMPLETELY different story.  I'd give up our next 10 first round picks + Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson. 

And if Houston counter-offered demanding our next 10 second rounders + David Putney as well, I'd still do it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

kelly rowland yes GIF

 

That would be a COMPLETELY different story.  I'd give up our next 10 first round picks + Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson. 

And if Houston counter-offered demanding our next 10 second rounders + David Putney as well, I'd still do it.

Feel ya on that.  

However, just like you said, hopefully Sam makes all this discussion irrelevant 🤞🏼.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mogglez

If Darnold poops the bed this year, we'll definitely have a Top 10 pick.

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT. As a prospect I like him much more than Wentz

Lawrence and Fields are pipe dreams, but if Darnold fails and Lance fails, he's the guy I want!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, King P said:

@Mogglez

If Darnold poops the bed this year, we'll definitely have a Top 10 pick.

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT.

Lawrence and Fields are pipe dreams, but if Darnold fails and Lance fails, he's the guy I want!

I loveeeeee me some Lance.  Is he perfect?  Absolutely not.  That being said, he has all the traits you want out of a QB and his decision making is excellent.  I want to see him come off his first read more often, as I saw him lock on a little bit too much in the tape I watched.  However, that will come with more reps and natural progression.  If he puts up another season like last year?  He'll be pushing Lawrence for first overall.  That game against Oregon, if we get a college season, will be a must watch for me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, King P said:

@Mogglez

If Darnold poops the bed this year, we'll definitely have a Top 10 pick.

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT. As a prospect I like him much more than Wentz

Lawrence and Fields are pipe dreams, but if Darnold fails and Lance fails, he's the guy I want!

If Sam sucks this year Trevor is ours.  Did you watch this team last year when Sam wasn’t starting and playing well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If Sam sucks this year Trevor is ours.  Did you watch this team last year when Sam wasn’t starting and playing well?

I don't think we're worse than Carolina or Jacksonville, whom both are just looking like they're trying to tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, King P said:

I don't think we're worse than Carolina or Jacksonville, whom both are just looking like they're trying to tank

Jacksonville perhaps.  Carolina?  Nah.  Why hand Teddy Bridgewater 63 million dollars and extend Christian McCaffrey now if the plan is to tank in 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jacksonville perhaps.  Carolina?  Nah.  Why hand Teddy Bridgewater 63 million dollars and extend Christian McCaffrey now if the plan is to tank in 2020?

Fair point, maybe tanking isn't the right word in the traditional sense. But looking at their team, I don't think that team is very good overall. I think they'll be in contention for 1 of the top QBs

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King P said:

Fair point, maybe tanking isn't the right word in the traditional sense. But looking at their team, I don't think that team is very good overall. I think they'll be in contention for 1 of the top QBs

Yes, I think they might accidentally tank.  Even though I like Teddy and Rhule.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is nuts to pay this much to Dak, but also we’re going to have to pay Darnold this much, too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, King P said:

I don't think we're worse than Carolina or Jacksonville, whom both are just looking like they're trying to tank

I think the Pats get Lawrence tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is nuts to pay this much to Dak, but also we’re going to have to pay Darnold this much, too

Dak is out of his mind to reject that.  He’s not that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...