Dak Prescott, Cowboys unlikely to reach long-term deal by deadline

https://www.nfl.com/news/dak-prescott-cowboys-unlikely-to-reach-long-term-deal-by-deadline

Dak Prescott, Cowboys unlikely to reach long-term deal by deadline

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign a long-term contract sits directly ahead, on Wednesday, July 15. Given the uncertainties surrounding the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it doesn't sound like there will be much action in the way of extensions this season, including Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott.

NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Monday there is not a lot of optimism a deal between Dallas and the signal-caller gets done before the deadline, per a source informed of the situation.

Slater did note that things could always change in the two days -- and as always deadlines spur action in the NFL -- but at this point, it sounds like it would be a semi-surprise if sides reached a multi-year pact.

If the July 15 deadline passes without a deal, Dak would play on the one-year, $31.4 million franchise tender. Dallas would then have to decide next year whether to tag the QB again for an even greater sum (120 percent of the previous season's tag amount).

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL NOW that there hasn't been a lot of dialogue between Prescott's agent and the Cowboys in recent days.

The biggest issue between the sides has been the length of the contract. The Cowboys are seeking a 5-year deal, while Prescott's camp prefers a 4-year pact. We'll see if either side is willing to bend in the next couple of days.

Shocker. To be quite honest, I think that Dak is such a product of his surrounding cast that if I were the Cowboys I would have seriously considered trading him and then selecting a new QB in the draft. We already have seen a version of that with Rosen and we will see it again, especially if Covid causes a flattening or recession in the cap over the new couple years.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Shocker. To be quite honest, I think that Dak is such a product of his surrounding cast that if I were the Cowboys I would have seriously considered trading him and then selecting a new QB in the draft. We already have seen a version of that with Rosen and we will see it again, especially if Covid causes a flattening or recession in the cap over the new couple years.

• Step 1:  Cowboys trade Dak Prescott to the Bears for multiple 1st rounders.
  • Step 2:  Cowboys trade one of their extra 2021 1st rounders plus a 3rd rounder to Jets for Jamal Adams.
  • Step 3:  Welcome to the Andy Dalton show, baby!
  • Step 4:  Profit.
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

the lion king no GIF

And I'm one of the few people here who's ok with Dak trying to get as much money possible.

Just don't want that us to be that team that gives it to him

• Upvote 2

Dak should absolutely do what’s in his best interest and to earn as much as he possibly can.

I just think his demands are not in line with the realities of his situation. He’s going to regret not taking 35m/year for 5 years, because I firmly believe that’ll be the best offer he ever sees.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dallas will dodge a huge bullet if he blasts his way out of town.

No team should be dumb enough to trade for that player and then pay him an outrageous salary.

They should have traded him to a team like the Colts earlier in the offseason 

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dak should absolutely do what’s in his best interest and to earn as much as he possibly can.

I just think his demands are not in line with the realities of his situation. He’s going to regret not taking 35m/year for 5 years, because I firmly believe that’ll be the best offer he ever sees.

Dak could have a $120 million contract now but he and his agent are so deluded he thinks that would be him getting ripped off

Cowboys are doing the right thing with Dak as the jets are doing with Adams

1 hour ago, King P said:

the lion king no GIF

And I'm one of the few people here who's ok with Dak trying to get as much money possible.

Just don't want that us to be that team that gives it to him

I feel ya.  That being said, is slightly overpaying the proven commodity better or worse than blowing a top 15 pick on an awful prospect and commiting a minimum of 3-4 years to him, ala Trubisky??

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll be the first to ask it.

If Sam flops this year and Dak tests the market....but we don't suck enough to get one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance....would you give Prescott the Kirk Cousins deal??

No way.  Dak is currently trying to gouge the team that drafted him for every cent he can get, thus potentially hurting his chances of returning to a team that has provided him with a pretty perfect set of circumstances.

If he's willing to do that to Dallas, imagine what kind of money he'd be looking for from a team like ours?

No mercenaries at QB.  Outside of a few rare instances in NFL history, it's not a good idea.  Draft your QB.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I feel ya.  That being said, is slightly overpaying the proven commodity better or worse than blowing a top 15 pick on an awful prospect and commiting a minimum of 3-4 years to him, ala Trubisky??

Of course you'd rather pay Dak than draft the next Trubisky.  But you can't just assume that when you draft a QB high that he'll end up the next Trubisky. 

I'd much rather take my chances than massively overpay the "known" product.  The upside of potentially having an exciting young franchise QB under a cheap rookie deal strongly outweighs the cost of a mercenary QB.  Paying Dak, much like Minnesota paying Cousins, puts you in QB purgatory.  Because even if the QB is good, you're paying well above true market value and sacrificing the rest of the roster.

At least with a homegrown QB, there's a CHANCE you might be able to get a team-friendly contract out of it when the rookie deal ends.  After all, Mahomes' deal, despite its flashy big numbers, is very team-friendly.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No way.  Dak is currently trying to gouge the team that drafted him for every cent he can get, thus potentially hurting his chances of returning to a team that has provided him with a pretty perfect set of circumstances.

If he's willing to do that to Dallas, imagine what kind of money he'd be looking for from a team like ours?

No mercenaries at QB.  Outside of a few rare instances in NFL history, it's not a good idea.  Draft your QB.

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course you'd rather pay Dak than draft the next Trubisky.  But you can't just assume that when you draft a QB high that he'll end up the next Trubisky. 

I'd much rather take my chances than massively overpay the "known" product.  The upside of potentially having an exciting young franchise QB under a cheap rookie deal strongly outweighs the cost of a mercenary QB.  Paying Dak, much like Minnesota paying Cousins, puts you in QB purgatory.  Because even if the QB is good, you're paying well above true market value and sacrificing the rest of the roster.

At least with a homegrown QB, there's a CHANCE you might be able to get a team-friendly contract out of it when the rookie deal ends.  After all, Mahomes' deal, despite its flashy big numbers, is very team-friendly.

All fair points.  For the record, I'm not for signing Dak.  I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

That being said, and maybe this is my ego talking, I am not a gigantic fan of the next few QB draft classes (Outside of Lawrence, Fields, and Lance).  Sam Howell?  Kedon Slovis?  I don't know man.  Maybe Slovis, but it would take some massive convincing unless he pulls a Joe Burrow...and that's not even taking into account the amount of convincing the rest of this fanbase would need to draft another USC QB after, in this hypothetical, 2 busts (Personally, I think this is a BS point).

It also depends on where our roster is at.  If after 1-2 years Douglas has us in contention, but we're a QB away, do you go all in?  I guess it depends on who you ask.  It doesn't strike me as something Douglas would do...but again...for the sake of discussion I'm just throwing it out there.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

All fair points.  For the record, I'm not for signing Dak.  I'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion.

That being said, and maybe this is my ego talking, I am not a gigantic fan of the next few QB draft classes (Outside of Lawrence, Fields, and Lance).  Sam Howell?  Kedon Slovis?  I don't know man.  Maybe Slovis, but it would take some massive convincing unless he pulls a Joe Burrow...and that's not even taking into account the amount of convincing the rest of this fanbase would need to draft another USC QB after, in this hypothetical, 2 busts (Personally, I think this is a BS point).

It also depends on where our roster is at.  If after 1-2 years Douglas has us in contention, but we're a QB away, do you go all in?  I guess it depends on who you ask.  It doesn't strike me as something Douglas would do...but again...for the sake of discussion I'm just throwing it out there.

The college QB market is so volatile.  You never know which QB's will "rise up" with strong performances/testing well/etc.  Or which QB's who were thought to be "sure bets" will fall off.  I don't even bother much thinking about future QB classes.  I just look at the one that's coming up in any given year.  Scouts and front offices can worry 2 QB classes ahead.

Going "all in" on a QB is something every franchise who does NOT have their QB has to do.  It's not even a question.  Whether the roster is ready or not, the moment we decide Darnold is NOT the guy is the moment we need to start looking for our new QB.  But even if Darnold fails next season, we don't absolutely HAVE to draft our QB of the future in the 2021 class.  We can bring in a veteran to compete and push the decision to 2022.  Take advantage of the QB rookie deal for as long as it allows us to do so.

In short....please, please ball out this year, Darnold.  Make it an easy decision for Douglas on what to do going forward.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'd rather draft my QB and have him on a rookie de as lthen overpay for a guy like Dak, who is good, but you get the get the feeling he's being carried.

I'd rather take a shot at a Winston if he's available over giving Dak a monster deal if I'm being completely honest

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The college QB market is so volatile.  You never know which QB's will "rise up" with strong performances/testing well/etc.  Or which QB's who were thought to be "sure bets" will fall off.  I don't even bother much thinking about future QB classes.  I just look at the one that's coming up in any given year.  Scouts and front offices can worry 2 QB classes ahead.

Going "all in" on a QB is something every franchise who does NOT have their QB has to do.  It's not even a question.  Whether the roster is ready or not, the moment we decide Darnold is NOT the guy is the moment we need to start looking for our new QB.  But even if Darnold fails next season, we don't absolutely HAVE to draft our QB of the future in the 2021 class.  We can bring in a veteran to compete and push the decision to 2022.  Take advantage of the QB rookie deal for as long as it allows us to do so.

In short....please, please ball out this year, Darnold.  Make it an easy decision for Douglas on what to do going forward.

5 minutes ago, King P said:

I'd rather draft my QB and have him on a rookie de as lthen overpay for a guy like Dak, who is good, but you get the get the feeling he's being carried.

I'd rather take a shot at a Winston if he's available over giving Dak a monster deal if I'm being completely honest

Pretty much agree with you both regarding all of this on a personal level.

One more curveball for you both though, lol.

Deshaun Watson, a much better QB than Dak, wants out in Houston, pulls the same thing as Prescott, and we still don't have a QB.  Do you make an exception?  Is a young QB of that level worth an exception in your eyes?  

Honestly, I'd say no to Dak...but yes to Watson.  I just think that it's an interesting talking point with both guys potentially hitting FA, even if Watson's chance is much smaller.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty much agree with you both regarding all of this on a personal level.

One more curveball for you both though, lol.

Deshaun Watson, a much better QB than Dak, wants out in Houston, pulls the same thing as Prescott, and we still don't have a QB.  Do you make an exception?  Is a young QB of that level worth an exception in your eyes?  

Honestly, I'd say no to Dak...but yes to Watson.

kelly rowland yes GIF

That would be a COMPLETELY different story.  I'd give up our next 10 first round picks + Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson. 

And if Houston counter-offered demanding our next 10 second rounders + David Putney as well, I'd still do it.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

kelly rowland yes GIF

That would be a COMPLETELY different story.  I'd give up our next 10 first round picks + Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson. 

And if Houston counter-offered demanding our next 10 second rounders + David Putney as well, I'd still do it.

Feel ya on that.  

However, just like you said, hopefully Sam makes all this discussion irrelevant ??.

• Upvote 1

@Mogglez

If Darnold poops the bed this year, we'll definitely have a Top 10 pick.

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT. As a prospect I like him much more than Wentz

Lawrence and Fields are pipe dreams, but if Darnold fails and Lance fails, he's the guy I want!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, King P said:

@Mogglez

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT.

Lawrence and Fields are pipe dreams, but if Darnold fails and Lance fails, he's the guy I want!

I loveeeeee me some Lance.  Is he perfect?  Absolutely not.  That being said, he has all the traits you want out of a QB and his decision making is excellent.  I want to see him come off his first read more often, as I saw him lock on a little bit too much in the tape I watched.  However, that will come with more reps and natural progression.  If he puts up another season like last year?  He'll be pushing Lawrence for first overall.  That game against Oregon, if we get a college season, will be a must watch for me.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, King P said:

@Mogglez

Funny you mentioned Trey Lance, because I was watching tape of him recently. Holy crap, I'm completely sold. The arm, the poise, the footwork. This kid has IT. As a prospect I like him much more than Wentz

If Sam sucks this year Trevor is ours.  Did you watch this team last year when Sam wasn’t starting and playing well?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If Sam sucks this year Trevor is ours.  Did you watch this team last year when Sam wasn’t starting and playing well?

I don't think we're worse than Carolina or Jacksonville, whom both are just looking like they're trying to tank

3 hours ago, King P said:

I don't think we're worse than Carolina or Jacksonville, whom both are just looking like they're trying to tank

Jacksonville perhaps.  Carolina?  Nah.  Why hand Teddy Bridgewater 63 million dollars and extend Christian McCaffrey now if the plan is to tank in 2020?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jacksonville perhaps.  Carolina?  Nah.  Why hand Teddy Bridgewater 63 million dollars and extend Christian McCaffrey now if the plan is to tank in 2020?

Fair point, maybe tanking isn't the right word in the traditional sense. But looking at their team, I don't think that team is very good overall. I think they'll be in contention for 1 of the top QBs

• Upvote 1

Just now, King P said:

Fair point, maybe tanking isn't the right word in the traditional sense. But looking at their team, I don't think that team is very good overall. I think they'll be in contention for 1 of the top QBs

Yes, I think they might accidentally tank.  Even though I like Teddy and Rhule.

• Upvote 1