Who Are Some Underrated Players You Think Deserve The HOF?

PCP63

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Nick Mangold 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Is he even eligible yet?

If so, hell yeah.

He's not eligible yet, as players have to be retired for 5+ years, but I think the odds are high he'll get serious consideration when the time comes.  Maybe not first ballot, but he'll probably get in eventually, and it would seem the Jets are betting on that considering they've held his number, expecting a future retirement.  He'll probably get in quicker than Mawae did, considering we all know it's really NFLPA politics that kept him waiting as long as he did.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ljr said:

these 2 both should make it ... are they just not eligible yet?

The only other deserving names on that list would be Herman Moore and John Lynch. Lots of great players on that list but you need too be elite for a long time to be HOF worthy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, ljr said:

these 2 both should make it ... are they just not eligible yet?

Faneca retired in 2011.  He's been getting snubbed from the Hall since 2016.

Andre Johnson retired more recently than I thought (2016).  He isn't eligible until 2022.  Though given how many HOF-caliber WRs have had to wait a long time to get in the Hall, or gotten snubbed altogether, I doubt he'll be a First Ballot guy.  

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, RobR said:

The only other deserving names on that list would be Herman Moore and John Lynch. Lots of great players on that list but you need too be elite for a long time to be HOF worthy.  

The bold is fair.  But Leslie O'Neal had a 9-year period where he collected 106 sacks (about 12 per year in that span).  He was the very definition of being elite for a long time.

Meanwhile, if the bold matters, then Herman Moore should NOT get in.  He had a very short-lived peak, albeit an outstanding one.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Faneca retired in 2011.  He's been getting snubbed from the Hall since 2016.

Andre Johnson retired more recently than I thought (2016).  He isn't eligible until 2022.  Though given how many HOF-caliber WRs have had to wait a long time to get in the Hall, or gotten snubbed altogether, I doubt he'll be a First Ballot guy.  

Terrell Owens got snubbed because the hack writers who vote all hate him.

Andre Johnson doesn’t have that issue everyone likes him

There are so many players more deserving than Eli Manning yet we see this campaign for Eli because his D led him to 2 SBs.  Read some of the names in this thread and go look up their resumes compared to Eli.  Eli doesn't even deserve to be considered.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Chrebet, really for the path he took as an undrafted player and became one of the best slot WR's in the league. 

maybe if his career wasn't followed on by guys like welker and edelman.  chrebet's was a great story and any team would be very lucky to have players like him but his overall careers numbers aren't there.

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Chrebet, really for the path he took as an undrafted player and became one of the best slot WR's in the league. 

If we are going to pick an underrated Jet receiver who should garner HOF consideration, I would support Wesley Walker rather than Chrebet (and I love Chrebet).  Walker's numbers may not compate well with guys from the past 20 years, but he was such a great big play guy.  I think he is one of about 4 or 5 70s/80s era WRs who don't get much respect today -- along with Stanley Morgan, Harold Jackson, & Cliff Branch who immediately come to mind.

Really good WRs, but probably short of HOF resumes, especiallly compared to the ridiculous nubmers some guys put up today.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Klecko obviously 

Randy Gradishar: 7 time pro bowler, 2 time all pro, AP Defensive POY 1978

Ken Riley: 68 career interceptions.

I always felt that Riley and Gradishar were overshadowed by Lambert and Mel Blount.

There has been mention of Riley since he died.  He's interesting, 2nd team all decade, 1 time 1st team all pro (in his final season) but never made a pro bowl (I know all pro means more).  Also, 2 time 2nd team all pro.  Is that Enough in a 15 year career?  2nd team all decade may eventually get him in.

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Both Barbers

Tiki was on his way, his last few years he was ridiculous. If he just played a couple more seasons he would have made it.  I don't think he'll get in.

I always felt Ronde was more a product of great players around him but 3 1st team all pros will get him in.

14 hours ago, Hael said:

Wes Welker.  There’s a logjam of better wrs and he’ll never get in, but he is the best slot wr of all time and completely revolutionized the position.  His stats are crazy.

Eric Metcalf.  Same reason as above.  He didn’t play a primary position, but is the definition of a multipurpose jack of all trades/st threat/3rd down back, and is the best to ever do that.

To me welker was very overrated and a product if Brady.  He struggled in big moments (cost them a SB) but he put up ridiculous numbers.  I don't think he belongs but he'll make it.

Metcalf has no shot.  His All Pros were as KR and while he was a good receiver his career is defined by STs and there's a STs bias for the hall.

13 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Leslie O'Neal. 

How he's not in is beyond me.

Very good player but was he great?  He was consistent.  He had 1 season with more than 13.5 sacks(17). He was rookie of the year but never won any other awards, he only made 2nd team all pro one time.

I think good, consistent player but for me the hall is for the best of the best and I think he falls short of that.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe if his career wasn't followed on by guys like welker and edelman.  chrebet's was a great story and any team would be very lucky to have players like him but his overall careers numbers aren't there.

Regardless what welker and others did Chrebet never had any shot at the Hall.  He was never a top WR, nice player that was a fan favorite but overrated by Jet fans.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Because being afraid to throw to the WR Revis was covering should be held against him?

OK

Anyone who thinks Antonio Cromartie was better than Darrelle Revis should stop watching football(these are the same folks that think Aaron Glenn was as good or better than revis?).  I assumed that post was a joke.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

If we are going to pick an underrated Jet receiver who should garner HOF consideration, I would support Wesley Walker rather than Chrebet (and I love Chrebet).  Walker's numbers may not compate well with guys from the past 20 years, but he was such a great big play guy.  I think he is one of about 4 or 5 70s/80s era WRs who don't get much respect today -- along with Stanley Morgan, Harold Jackson, & Cliff Branch who immediately come to mind.

Really good WRs, but probably short of HOF resumes, especiallly compared to the ridiculous nubmers some guys put up today.

I think Toon was on a Hall of Fame path before all the concussions. Walker was really good for a while but he doesn't deserve any Hall of Fame consideration.

• Upvote 1

Klecko is too easy and not really underrated, never heard anyone say he isnt good enough to be in the HOF, doesnt deserve it.  Actually all his contemporaries say the opposite

Marvin Powell.

Was a first round draft pick.  Was a five-time Pro Bowler between 1977 and 1983.  He was better than more than a few in the hall like Dierdorf, who got in because he was on TV, like too many

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Regardless what welker and others did Chrebet never had any shot at the Hall.  He was never a top WR, nice player that was a fan favorite but overrated by Jet fans.  

You were fine until you said he was overrated by Jet fans.  They loved him for his underdog who made it persona.  For how hard he played with limited talent compared to a Keyshwan Johnson.  

No one was putting him in the HOF when he played.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Klecko is too easy and not really underrated, never heard anyone say he isnt good enough to be in the HOF, doesnt deserve it.  Actually all his contemporaries say the opposite

Marvin Powell.

Was a first round draft pick.  Was a five-time Pro Bowler between 1977 and 1983.  He was better than more than a few in the hall

A couple of things hurt Klecko, sacks not being official until 1982 and the Jets not going to/winning a SB.

Powell is interesting, we never hear about him but we should. He was a top OT for a long time. 3 time 1st team all pro, 1 time 2nd team should be enough to get consideration.

• Upvote 2

John Lynch   (From Sports Illustrated) “ ... a Super Bowl champion, who was named to the Rings of Honor of two franchises (Tampa Bay and Denver), who was chosen to as many Pro Bowls (9) as Hall-of-Famers Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins and who was as important to Tampa Bay’s 2002 Super Bowl defense as Hall-of-Famers Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks.“.     He was a great player IMHO who belongs in the Hall. 

4AA571B9-D408-4FF1-A095-F115AF291F4E.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You were fine until you said he was overrated by Jet fans.  They loved him for his underdog who made it persona.  For how hard he played with limited talent compared to a Keyshwan Johnson.  

No one was putting him in the HOF when he played.

I think Jet fans think he was much better than he actually was.  He was a very important player who was good for a long time but he wasn't anywhere near Key, Coles and others and I see many fans trying to tell me he was.

Wayne had a lot more talent than he was given credit for.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Could you imagine the damage Walker would do to teams with the defensive rule changes implemented by the NFL? Added to the rule changes to the offense?  

13 years in the league and retired averaging 19 per catch?  LOL

Youre right the rest of his numbers dont look as good compared to todays Madden numbers but back then, when he retired?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

A couple of things hurt Klecko, sacks not being official until 1982 and the Jets not going to/winning a SB.

Powell is interesting, we never hear about him but we should. He was a top OT for a long time. 3 time 1st team all pro, 1 time 2nd team should be enough to get consideration.

Powell never comes up.

Shame, he was a great player for us

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think Jet fans think he was much better than he actually was.  He was a very important player who was good for a long time but he wasn't anywhere near Key, Coles and others and I see many fans trying to tell me he was.

Wayne had a lot more talent than he was given credit for.

I think your wrong in the thinking.  I think people just loved the guy.  More than the player.  The every day man, common man who made it through hard work and determination.  

I think if he was a diva like Keyshawn it would have been a different story.  Which btw I think added to it.  Keyshawn going after him only helped pump up Chrebet as a fan favorite.  There was a whole lot of outrage when he called him Coaches Pet

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think Toon was on a Hall of Fame path before all the concussions. Walker was really good for a while but he doesn't deserve any Hall of Fame consideration.

He is not going to get in the Hall, and he probably shouldn't.  But when he retired in 1989, Walker was top 20 All Time in Receiving Yards and Receiving TDs.  His numbers have been dwarfed by guys who have come after him.

There are 6 players in NFL history to had had 70+ TDs, 8,000+ yards and >18 yard per catch average.  Wesley Walker is one of the 6.  4 of the other 5 are in the Hall.: Lance Alworth, James Lofton, Don Maynard and Paul Warfield.  Stanley Morgan is the 6th guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think your wrong in the thinking.  I think people just loved the guy.  More than the player.  The every day man, common man who made it through hard work and determination.  

I think if he was a diva like Keyshawn it would have been a different story.  Which btw I think added to it.  Keyshawn going after him only helped pump up Chrebet as a fan favorite.  There was a whole lot of outrage when he called him Coaches Pet

I understand why he was and still is beloved.  He earned that respect from the fans, my point is because of how much he is loved he gets a bit overrated.  I loved him too, I appreciate everything he did but he was never considered a great player, he was never among the best in the league.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

He is not going to get in the Hall, and he probably shouldn't.  But when he retired in 1989, Walker was top 20 All Time in Receiving Yards and Receiving TDs.  His numbers have been dwarfed by guys who have come after him.

There are 6 players in NFL history to had had 70+ TDs, 8,000+ yards and >18 yard per catch average.  Wesley Walker is one of the 6.  4 of the other 5 are in the Hall.: Lance Alworth, James Lofton, Don Maynard and Paul Warfield.  Stanley Morgan is the 6th guy.

He scored a lot of TDs, he was a great deep threat but he did only have 2 1000 yard seasons and one of them was barely over 1000. He had 50 or more recs one time (61) in his career, only led one major category(yards in 78).  Only 2 top 10 seasons in yards, zero in receptions.

That's just not Hall worthy.

Alworth led in recs 3 times, yards 3 times, TDs 3 times, league player of the year, 1st team all decade.

Maynard led in yards and TDs, was 1st team all decade, 6 top 5s in recs, 3 top 5s in rec yards, 6 top 5s in rec TDs.

Warfield led in TDs twice, 2nd team all decade, 3 top 5s in yards, 5 top 5s in TDs, 2 1st team and 2 2nd team all pros.

Lofton is best comparison. He didn't lead in any major category but he was 2nd team all decade, 3 time 2nd team all pro, 1 time 1st team all pro, 2 top 10s in recs, 8 top 10s in yards, 4 top 10s in TDs and was an important member of bills AFC dynasty along with playing longer accumulating more numbers.

He is similar to Morgan but Morgan had higher yards per reception (19.2 to 19.0), over 2000 more yards, 1 more TD.  Morgan played longer which helped separate him.  Very good players just not Hall of Famers.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Terrell Owens got snubbed because the hack writers who vote all hate him.

Andre Johnson doesn’t have that issue everyone likes him

TO was hurt by TO

He thought it was fun being a diva, destroying teams and QBs he played with.

Bit him in the ass and delayed the inevitable.  Good for him.  

Some people get riled up over Adams but actually defend TO 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I absolutely loved Harold Jackson.  When he went all scab and suited up for the Replacement Patriots it broke my heart.  Probably contributes to keeping him out.  Not sure why I liked him, but I think it is because I hated the Cowboys and when I was like 5 he went for like 250 and 4 TDs against them.  Pretty sure it was on TV.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He scored a lot of TDs, he was a great deep threat but he did only have 2 1000 yard seasons and one of them was barely over 1000. He had 50 or more recs one time (61) in his career, only led one major category(yards in 78).  Only 2 top 10 seasons in yards, zero in receptions.

That's just not Hall worthy.

Alworth led in recs 3 times, yards 3 times, TDs 3 times, league player of the year, 1st team all decade.

Maynard led in yards and TDs, was 1st team all decade, 6 top 5s in recs, 3 top 5s in rec yards, 6 top 5s in rec TDs.

Warfield led in TDs twice, 2nd team all decade, 3 top 5s in yards, 5 top 5s in TDs, 2 1st team and 2 2nd team all pros.

Lofton is best comparison. He didn't lead in any major category but he was 2nd team all decade, 3 time 2nd team all pro, 1 time 1st team all pro, 2 top 10s in recs, 8 top 10s in yards, 4 top 10s in TDs and was an important member of bills AFC dynasty along with playing longer accumulating more numbers.

He is similar to Morgan but Morgan had higher yards per reception (19.2 to 19.0), over 2000 more yards, 1 more TD.  Morgan played longer which helped separate him.  Very good players just not Hall of Famers.

Yes, but you are kind of punishing him for the era.   In 1975 only 1 player had 1,000 yard receiving.  One of my all-time favorites, #00 Ken Burrough.  Isaac Curtis never had 1,000 yard season and he doesn't have to apologize to anybody. In 1977 there were zero 1,000 yard receivers.  In 1978, Walker led the league.  Things picked up as the 80s rolled around, but in the strike year, Walker was 8th in yards with only 612 or so, and 4th in TDs.

Personally, I think receptions are an overrated stats.  I care more about yards and TDs.  Yes, it is nice when you need a 1st down, but you win with points and yards and TDs are how you get those.  Otherwise, Larry Centers and Chuck Foreman would be considered all time studs.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Hael said:

Wes Welker.  There’s a logjam of better wrs and he’ll never get in, but he is the best slot wr of all time and completely revolutionized the position.  His stats are crazy.

Eric Metcalf.  Same reason as above.  He didn’t play a primary position, but is the definition of a multipurpose jack of all trades/st threat/3rd down back, and is the best to ever do that.

As much as I hate Edelman, at the end of the day I would put him in ahead of Welker.   Tougher and a big play player in the clutch.