Some love for Terry Bradway?

AFJF

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember that draft well.  Anyone could have scouted Revis, his talent was known to all and he was the top pick if you were looking for a DB

Bullsh*t.  Everybody had us taking Ross and after the draft people were complaining that we should have taken Ross or Leon Hall.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Next to McCaganan (and Idzik) Bradway and Tanny look like freaking geniuses.

The Jolley, Mike Nugent thing was pretty bad.

That trade ended him.  He had a really bad offseason in 2005 that resulted in the jets 4-12 season

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bullsh*t.  Everybody had us taking Ross and after the draft people were complaining that we should have taken Ross or Leon Hall.

Yeah, that draft was considered to be crazy heavy at DB and there were definitely questions at the time about why the Jets would opt to trade up for Revis despite that.  Revis was never some widely-known sure thing, otherwise he wouldn't have made it to even #14.

• Upvote 1

Terry Bradway was a scapegoat, he did a good job as GM and his later role in front office.  He came on board in 2001 and was fired after the 2014 season.

From 2001-2014 the Jets made the playoffs 6 times, won a division title, won 6 playoff games and reached 2 AFC Championship Games and never saw 2 consecutive losing seasons.

From 2015-2019 we haven't made the playoffs and are currently on a streak of 4 consecutive losing seasons.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember that draft well.  Anyone could have scouted Revis, his talent was known to all and he was the top pick if you were looking for a DB

But he last until #16, so Bradway gets credit for that.  In the second round of that draft, he picked up Harris, our starting linebacker for the next like 10 years.  2 for 2.  Very nice!

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

**** Bradway. He did pound the tables for Russel Wilson tho but even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

Yeah, but had we gotten Russel Wilson, we wouldn't of had to give up 3- 2nd round picks, and we wouldn't have wasted picks on QB's that never materialized.

Bradway would have set into motion a change of events that would have ended up making the Jets a much better team and organization.  

If you're going to equate Bradway with a broken clock, then I want that broken clock and hang it front and center in my living room.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Terry Bradway was a scapegoat, he did a good job as GM and his later role in front office.  He came on board in 2001 and was fired after the 2014 season.

From 2001-2014 the Jets made the playoffs 6 times, won a division title, won 6 playoff games and reached 2 AFC Championship Games and never saw 2 consecutive losing seasons.

From 2015-2019 we haven't made the playoffs and are currently on a streak of 4 consecutive losing seasons.

You can’t give Bradway much credit. The Jets made the playoffs in 2001,2002,and 2004 under his watch. Who did Bradway acquire on those teams? Parcells left him a great young core and he proceeded to run it into the ground. 

I think Broadway was the worst GM in franchise history. 

Panic stricken. Reactive. Never planned ahead. Perhaps worse than iDzik because he was allowed to do it for so long.

the reach for victor Hobson in the 2nd because we had zero LBers and a run on them had happened just before our pick there.

the ridiculousness of not planning for Sean Ellis and Abe’s contracts coming up at the same time and offering them the same contract and whoever took it first got the deal.

it was Busch league all day every day for years

leon Hess letting him work from home because he didn’t want to commute to the building

Ineptness personified

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that draft was considered to be crazy heavy at DB and there were definitely questions at the time about why the Jets would opt to trade up for Revis despite that.  Revis was never some widely-known sure thing, otherwise he wouldn't have made it to even #14.

Hall was the chalk pick at CB, but Revis was a late riser and took the #1 spot just leading up to the draft.  There were 4 safeties taken in that first round Landry, Griffin, Nelson, and Merriweather.  At #6 overall, Landry went ahead of all the CBs.  Who does that?!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember people saying Revis was better.  I liked him better, I wanted him.  By the time of the draft lots of people had Revis 1.  Bullshlt, hardly

BTW, those that had Revis 1, they were right.  

55 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Panic stricken. Reactive. Never planned ahead. Perhaps worse than iDzik because he was allowed to do it for so long.

the reach for victor Hobson in the 2nd because we had zero LBers and a run on them had happened just before our pick there.

the ridiculousness of not planning for Sean Ellis and Abe’s contracts coming up at the same time and offering them the same contract and whoever took it first got the deal.

leon Hess letting him work from home because he didn’t want to commute to the building

Ineptness personified

All great points but for one.

Leon Hess died 2 years before Terry Bradway was hired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Bradway got a lot of heat when he was GM, but in hindsight he wasn't all that bad compared to the other personnel execs we've had since Parcells.  Not great.  But somewhat competent.  For my money he was better than Tanny (when he didn't have Mangini talking in his ear), Idzik, and Maccagnan.

He was responsible for getting Revis.  And he was apparently banging his fist on the table to Tannenbaum when Russell Wilson was on the board, but Tanny refused.  Dewayne Robertson was a bad pick and letting Coles leave for DC after 2002 was a terrible move, as was trading away Santana Moss who had a lot more production left in the tank than Coles at that point, but other than that the drafting wasn't horrible I guess.  Pennington's nonstop injuries obviously doomed whatever team he was trying to build.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

You can’t give Bradway much credit. The Jets made the playoffs in 2001,2002,and 2004 under his watch. Who did Bradway acquire on those teams? Parcells left him a great young core and he proceeded to run it into the ground. 

Under BP/Groh the Jets made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years and they inherited a ton of young talent.

The 2001 team was basically the 2000 team with a new coach.

In 2002 because of the cap hell BP left us in the team was gutted and reassembled.

In 2004 it was retooled.

Parcells left him some young talent but his drafts were mostly brutal from 1997-1999 and he left us with a bad cap situation.  Bradway did a tremendous job filling in the gaps and then maneuvering out of cap hell (though the expansion draft really helped).

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Under BP/Groh the Jets made the playoffs 1 time in 4 years and they inherited a ton of young talent.

The 2001 team was basically the 2000 team with a new coach.

In 2002 because of the cap hell BP left us in the team was gutted and reassembled.

In 2004 it was retooled.

Parcells left him some young talent but his drafts were mostly brutal from 1997-1999 and he left us with a bad cap situation.  Bradway did a tremendous job filling in the gaps and then maneuvering out of cap hell (though the expansion draft really helped).

It was the 2000 draft that produced the core of those teams (along with Curtis Martin). Who did Terry acquire?

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Bradway got a lot of heat when he was GM, but in hindsight he wasn't all that bad compared to the other personnel execs we've had since Parcells.  Not great.  But somewhat competent.  For my money he was better than Tanny (when he didn't have Mangini talking in his ear), Idzik, and Maccagnan.

He was responsible for getting Revis.  And he was apparently banging his fist on the table to Tannenbaum when Russell Wilson was on the board, but Tanny refused.  Dewayne Robertson was a bad pick and letting Coles leave for DC after 2002 was a terrible move, as was trading away Santana Moss who had a lot more production left in the tank than Coles at that point, but other than that the drafting wasn't horrible I guess.  Pennington's nonstop injuries obviously doomed whatever team he was trying to build.

Trying to build.. exactly the last two decades of the New York Jets. The sad part is they scrap the plan every 2 or 3 years.

I've said this before but I think Chris Johnson, Joe Douglas,  Rex Hogan, Phil Savage , Adam Gase, Greg Williams and Joe vitt  are a really decent starting point.

I really think there's a plan this time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Ineptness personified

He wasn't great, but nowhere even close to worst in franchise history.  The 2003 draft was an absolute dumpster fire without question, but bottom line is that every other draft he had was far better than any of those ever gotten out of either Idzik or Maccagnan.  Even with the complete mess of the first 2 rounds of the 2005 draft, he still got more out of the mid-to-late rounds that year than those 2 bums got from all their years combined.  Hell, Pouha alone gave a better return than any of the endless stream of high first round DTs those idiots kept taking.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Yeah, but had we gotten Russel Wilson, we wouldn't of had to give up 3- 2nd round picks, and we wouldn't have wasted picks on QB's that never materialized.

Bradway would have set into motion a change of events that would have ended up making the Jets a much better team and organization.  

If you're going to equate Bradway with a broken clock, then I want that broken clock and hang it front and center in my living room.

If we had drafted Wilson instead of trading for Tebow and drafting Stephen Hill last 10 years is completely different 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Trying to build.. exactly the last two decades of the New York Jets. The sad part is they scrap the plan every 2 or 3 years.

I've said this before but I think Chris Johnson, Joe Douglas,  Rex Hogan, Phil Savage , Adam Gase, Greg Williams and Joe vitt  are a really decent starting point.

I really think there's a plan this time.

Idzik and Macc both had plans but they got punched in the mouth.