The Bell Gase Dynamic

Rumors of the demise of the relationship between New York Jets running back Le’Veon Bell and head coach Adam Gase are just that – rumors. So says Bell in a recent and candid interview with Hot 97.

Last season, there was speculation that Bell, the prize signing of the Jets offseason in 2019, had a rocky relationship with his head coach. In fact, the rumor mill said that part of the reason why then general manager Mike Maccagnan was let go by the Jets was due to his signing of Bell, which Gase reportedly was not in on board with.

But Bell, set now to enter his second season with the Jets, said that there are no issues with Gase. In fact, the All-Pro running back said that despite a down year statistically, he never communicated more with a head coach than he did with Gase.

“OK I’ve never played for an offensive-minded coach. So I’ve talked to him more than any other coach that I’ve ever talked to in my life,” Bell told Hot 97.

“So I don’t get how people get that relationship thing – it must have been a rumor before I got there. But since I got there, me and him don’t have no problems (sic).”

Last year was a difficult first season in New York for Bell. After signing a big contract with the Jets that included $35 million in guarantees, he put up statistically some of the worst numbers of his career.

Bell is hopeful, however, that the offense can turn things around now with a full year in Gase’s system. If quarterback Sam Darnold can take the next step in his development, than the whole offense, including Bell, can and will benefit.

“I love Sam – Sam just came down here with a couple of the receivers to Miami – we got two good workouts in. We hung out and talked, we got some food,” Bell said in the Hot 97 interview.

“He’s still a young player so he’s got a lot to learn. But I think this second year in this offense is really going to help him. This is his third year total in the NFL and he’s already had two different coaches. Rookie year, he comes in, different coach. Second year, he has to learn a whole new offense.

“This offense is not easy to learn, I’ve been playing football for a long time and this is the toughest offense I’ve ever played in"

I didn't really want Bell. I think he's ridiculously overpaid. However I will give him props for playing the role of Ambassador pretty well.

It would be nice if he physically showed up to training camp this year like he's just one of the guys. I'd like him even more if he bitched slapped Jamal Adams and told him to shut the F*** up!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I didn't really want Bell. I think he's ridiculously overpaid. However I will give him props for playing the role of Ambassador pretty well.

It would be nice if he physically showed up to training camp this year like he's just one of the guys. I'd like him even more if he bitched slapped Jamal Adams and told him to shut the F*** up!!

I can definitely say I did not want him but I had a feeling we would do the Jetsy thing and pick him up (for more money than we needed to).

I was cautiously optimistic about him last year and was moderately disappointed with the on the field result. I do cut him slack due to line play and play calling, but I can't let him off the hook completely.

Off the field he has been a gentleman and has bought himself additional slack with such actions on my ledger.

• Sympathy 1

I wanted Bell, just not at that price, and also not knowing that he could be a square peg in the round hole of Gase's offense.  Before we knew about the real relationship dysfunction (between Gase and Maccagnan) I figured that if Bell was coming here it meant Gase wanted him and had a great plan for him to be successful.  My only real gripe was with overpaying Bell.  His attitude has been great IMO, and the train wreck of the OLine isn't on him either.

Le'Veon Bell on Adam Gase:   "He's the coach I've talked to most in my career"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Game over.  No more "Mr. He Hate Me".  Adam's a good communicator.  Adam's good for Le'veon.  Adam's good for Gore.  Adam's good for Peyton.

Shut up now, peeps.

SAR I

I don't see why Bell wouldn't have a big year. We've revamped the line and even if Gase hates him you might as well run him 400 times this year since we're paying him anyway. He's still hands down the best RB on the roster. We can cut him next year regardless. We already paid for the car, might as well put some miles on it

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Le'Veon Bell on Adam Gase:   "He's the coach I've talked to most in my career"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Game over.  No more "Mr. He Hate Me".  Adam's a good communicator.  Adam's good for Le'veon.  Adam's good for Gore.  Adam's good for Peyton.

Shut up now, peeps.

SAR I

I'm convinced.  Adam Gase is the best coach in the NFL!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm convinced.  Adam Gase is the best coach in the NFL!

Not a fan, but I still say let's give him a year with the improved roster. There was zero to work with last year. Plus even if he sucks he got Mac fired and brought us Douglas. He's OK in my book just for that