Bad news supposedly coming out of Washington eventually

10 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Nope, it's going to be something about racism. Specifically black racism, with a possibility it was a bad native American joke during this fiasco. That's what's hot right now. Nobody cared about Kraft and the underground Asian sex trade going on(Not saying he knew, just got a handy). You gotta give the mob what they want, even if the thing Kraft was involved with(Sex trafficking basicaly) is worse than a tasteless joke

This would be my guess as well. Santos and Mann were probably heard/reported saying some very un PC things... 

1 minute ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Can owners sue or are we forced into arbitration? I kind of feel like cheating given the precedent on punishment

The Saints didn't sue after Bountygate.  So my guess is no, the owners agree to the same thing the NFLPA does:  Let Goodell's will be done.  Great system!

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

If you want to run down the situation with Woody in depth, we can. 

I can go earlier, but this will be more my adult life when I understood what was happening

He elevated Tanny to GM when he hired Mangini. Mangini was brought in to be like Belichick. Tanny was a a cap guy. Mangini actually built us a good team, just failed as a coach and got fired.

Next we hired Rex, or Woody did. We kept the cap guy and let the world's biggest kid make personnel decisions. It devastated the roster he inherited. Tanny the penny pusher got fired. 

Next he hired Korn Ferry and because the man you credit with reaching out cause it was him being smart and knowing it was outside his lane, kept Rex as a contingency for the GM hire. He spent over 6 figures on the search and we got Idzik because we're dysfunctional.

Fast forward. We hired Todd Bowles and made Mac the GM independent of each other, cause we're still dysfunctional. That was a failure as well.

Fast forward once again. We hired Adam Gase who ******* hated Mac, rightfully so. Again, this is dysfunction and sh*t rolls downhill from Woody. We let Mac run the draft and spend 100 million in FA before canning him a week later. Seems like him and the coach wherent even talking. Somehow we got a desirable GM to come in after that cause his relationship with Gase. Going forward I hope Dougles is in charge, but history tells me the dude you're defending will F it up

Pretty good summary.  All driven by Woody's absolute lack of experience in doing anything.  Woody is not a despicable person nor is he a cheap person.  He pumps plenty of money into the Jets.  Problem is, he is badly limited as an administrator due to his lack of experience and training.  He was handed a lot of money and that's the extent of what he brings to the table.   The Jets are a toy for him,  One he does not know how to play with.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Saints didn't sue after Bountygate.  So my guess is no, the owners agree to the same thing the NFLPA does:  Let Goodell's will be done.  Great system!

I mean we know he's incompetent, but watching him uncomfortably host the draft from his basement made me wonder what I did wrong with my life. This guy makes 40 million dollars a year. I can confidently say I could bumble every major issue brought to my desk as good as him 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

It'll be an upgrade. Whatever it is has to be better than the segment I just heard flipping through channels on the radio about Ivanka being in hot water over a pro Goya post. I had to stop and listen. We've hit peak retard as a country. We're fighting over beans and the worlds most delicious seasoning, lol. In put Adobo on everything

Yes, the Goya issue is over beans.  Ignorance must be bliss

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I'm not a huge Woody Johnson fan but he's been the owner for 20 years and under him the Jets have had a winning record 9 times.  Previous to that the Jets had 9 winning seasons in their first 40 years of existence. Every owner makes bad decisions.

5 of those 9 winning seasons can be attributed to the roster/culture Bill Parcells (Hess hire) developed.  Herm lived off the coattails of that era for years.

The Johnson's have hired a GM quartet of Bradway, Tannenbaum, Idzik and Macc and HC's Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles and Gase.  All of those were, at best, Peter Principle'd and at worst were some of the worst at their jobs in NFL history (especially Macc).  None were qualified to do the jobs they were hired for.

That's an awful track record no matter how you want to view it.

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Pretty good summary.  All driven by Woody's absolute lack of experience in doing anything.  Woody is not a despicable person nor is he a cheap person.  He pumps plenty of money into the Jets.  Problem is, he is badly limited as an administrator due to his lack of experience and training.  He was handed a lot of money and that's the extent of what he brings to the table.   The Jets are a toy for him,  One he does not know how to play with.

I think he knows he's just a rich kid nobody loves. Its why he fell in love with Rex. The big, brash dude who was his best buddy. Most popular guy in class. Woody wants to win and I don't doubt he's willing to spend. He's just a weak person who can't seem to make a tough and definitive decision by himself. Hes doesnt want to upset anyone in his close orbit

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I think he knows he's just a rich kid nobody loves. Its why he fell in love with Rex. The big, brash dude who was his best buddy. Most popular guy in class. Woody wants to win and I don't doubt he's willing to spend. He's just a weak person who can't seem to make a tough and definitive decision by himself

Successful people know their limitations and seek guidance when necessary.  That shows more strength than arbitrarily making a decision you're not qualified to make. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

If you want to run down the situation with Woody in depth, we can. 

I can go earlier, but this will be more my adult life when I understood what was happening

He elevated Tanny to GM when he hired Mangini. Mangini was brought in to be like Belichick. Tanny was a a cap guy. Mangini actually built us a good team, just failed as a coach and got fired.

Next we hired Rex, or Woody did. We kept the cap guy and let the world's biggest kid make personnel decisions. It devastated the roster he inherited. Tanny the penny pusher got fired. 

Next he hired Korn Ferry and because the man you credit with reaching out cause it was him being smart and knowing it was outside his lane, kept Rex as a contingency for the GM hire. He spent over 6 figures on the search and we got Idzik because we're dysfunctional.

Fast forward. We hired Todd Bowles and made Mac the GM independent of each other, cause we're still dysfunctional. That was a failure as well.

Fast forward once again. We hired Adam Gase who ******* hated Mac, rightfully so. Again, this is dysfunction and sh*t rolls downhill from Woody. We let Mac run the draft and spend 100 million in FA before canning him a week later. Seems like him and the coach wherent even talking. Somehow we got a desirable GM to come in after that cause his relationship with Gase. Going forward I hope Dougles is in charge, but history tells me the dude you're defending will F it up

^This. 100%

But you left out something:  Woody is a silent meddler.  He doesn't operate as the bold meddlers do (i.e. Snyder).  Certain guys are the boss and not meddlers at all (Jerry Jones).  Woody is neither.  But rest assured, he is a control freak. But behind the scenes.  I trust what I have heard from not one, but two people who have worked in that building on different levels.  Woody was always there.  Always involved. And always aloof to most.  There were a handful of "decisions" made by Tanny and undoubtedly Idzik and Mac as well, that were, in actuality, mandates from Woody.   To this day, Tanny has defended Woody and the people I mentioned say he is lying.

Chris Johnson has been better at letting the GM do his job without interference.  But I expect that will end by spring 2021 when Woody returns.  I'll keep a lookout for that day.  I'll post lanterns.  One, if Woody returns by land, two, if by sea, and three if by air.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I think he knows he's just a rich kid nobody loves. Its why he fell in love with Rex. The big, brash dude who was his best buddy. Most popular guy in class. Woody wants to win and I don't doubt he's willing to spend. He's just a weak person who can't seem to make a tough and definitive decision by himself. Hes doesnt want to upset anyone in his close orbit

I think Woody will gladly spend money for the Jets.  They have excellent facilities and one of the highest paid coaching and medical staffs in the league.  He just has no clue about running an organization effectively.  

I remember a sports radio show where commentary was coming from Damian Woody.   It was from 2012, I think.  All the fans wanted Brian Schottenheimer axed,  One fan called in and asked Damian Woody "WHY DOES BRIAN SHOTTEHHEIMER HAVE A JOB ???" And then the caller hung up.  Damian Woody went on to explain that there was a particular NFL owner who likes to feel he is hobnobbing with big, special people.  And.... This owner likes to hobnob with daddy Marty Schottenheimer so he can feel like he is in with the big NFL crowd... 

I was surprised Damian Woody actually came out with it, but there it was...

Woody is just a rich kid with little in his resume' but he still wants to look like he's a big man pissing with other big men.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^This. 100%

But you left out something:  Woody is a silent meddler.  He doesn't operate as the bold meddlers do (i.e. Snyder).  Certain guys are the boss and not meddlers at all (Jerry Jones).  Woody is neither.  But rest assured, he is a control freak. But behind the scenes.  I trust what I have heard from not one, but two people who have worked in that building on different levels.  Woody was always there.  Always involved. And always aloof to most.  There were a handful of "decisions" made by Tanny and undoubtedly Idzik and Mac as well, that were, in actuality, mandates from Woody.   To this day, Tanny has defended Woody and the people I mentioned say he is lying.

Chris Johnson has been better at letting the GM do his job without interference.  But I expect that to might end by spring 2021 when Woody returns.  I'll keep a lookout for that day.  I'll post lanterns.  One, if Woody returns by land, two, if by sea, and three if by air.

YES !  At least CJ seems like he will stay out of JD's way so long as JD has the golden touch.  

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Successful people know their limitations and seek guidance when necessary.  That shows more strength than arbitrarily making a decision you're not qualified to make. 

Yes... Absolutely.  That pertains to Woody....

And just as importantly, successful administrators know the strengths and limitations of the people in their charge.  They use their understanding of their staff to place individuals in positions that will take advantage of their strengths and limit exposure of their limitations.   

THAT one is for GASE who knows nothing about the golden rule of management.  

Good old Adam "Square Peg In Round Hole" Gase

Someone posted a pretty good timeline of recent events on reddit. They think the entire name change drama stems from whatever the reporter found out. They believe the reporter went to FedEx CEO and told them and FedEx then went to all the minority owners with said information:

On July 2nd 2020 Fed Ex CEO and Skins minority owner Fred Smith made it known he would like a name change.

On July 5th 2020 it was reported that all minority owners were looking to sell their shares, which raised quite a few eyebrows. Everyone was caught up in the change to the fact they thought this was the minority owners trying to prove a point to Dan, but they stated their reasoning as being unhappy and unwilling to do business with Dan Snyder.

Hold the effing phone. One or two minority owners, I might understand, but for all of them to do this at the same time? I thought something was up.

July 12th 2020, the Redskins leak they are officially changing their name, and quietly fire two members of their personnel department.

That same evening as celebration and disbelief were felt over the name change, a reporter tweeted that some really bad things were about to come out of Redskins Park (the location of the business side of the Washington football team) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Someone posted a pretty good timeline of recent events on reddit. They think the entire name change drama stems from whatever the reporter found out. They believe the reporter went to FedEx CEO and told them and FedEx then went to all the minority owners with said information:

On July 2nd 2020 Fed Ex CEO and Skins minority owner Fred Smith made it known he would like a name change.

On July 5th 2020 it was reported that all minority owners were looking to sell their shares, which raised quite a few eyebrows. Everyone was caught up in the change to the fact they thought this was the minority owners trying to prove a point to Dan, but they stated their reasoning as being unhappy and unwilling to do business with Dan Snyder.

Hold the effing phone. One or two minority owners, I might understand, but for all of them to do this at the same time? I thought something was up.

July 12th 2020, the Redskins leak they are officially changing their name, and quietly fire two members of their personnel department.

That same evening as celebration and disbelief were felt over the name change, a reporter tweeted that some really bad things were about to come out of Redskins Park (the location of the business side of the Washington football team) 

Sounds too me that there were a few very un-PC utterings and the sudden reversal in direction over the name change by Snyder is damage control. 

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Sounds too me that there were a few very un-PC utterings and the sudden reversal in direction over the name change by Snyder is damage control. 

Whatever it is that happened (I guess we'll find out on Friday?), it will be interesting to see if the NFL forces Snyder to sell the team.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Whatever it is that happened (I guess we'll find out on Friday?), it will be interesting to see if the NFL forces Snyder to sell the team.

Well, if Jeff Bezos all of a sudden buys the team after Snyder is forced out, then I call shenanigans. 

It's not all that unrealistic to think that Bezos is intentionally having the Washington Post go after Snyder hard to force him to sell for that very reason. 

More unrealistic sh*t has happened in the business world. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I'm not a huge Woody Johnson fan but he's been the owner for 20 years and under him the Jets have had a winning record 9 times.  Previous to that the Jets had 9 winning seasons in their first 40 years of existence. Every owner makes bad decisions.

The Jets have not made the playoffs for a decade

there was a time that Woody cared, it's true

that time has come and gone 

at the current juncture he literally lent the team to his little brother and left the country

honest question: 

how many of us, given control of an NFL football team, would take an ambassador job to a foreign country rather than ya know, hang out and watch the team you own? 

he literally doesn't care at all 

as long as there's no big checks to sign Woody has this thing on autopilot 

Chris borrowed the car keys that doesn't mean he has the title 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Well, if Jeff Bezos all of a sudden buys the team after Snyder is forced out, then I call shenanigans. 

It's not all that unrealistic to think that Bezos is intentionally having the Washington Post go after Snyder hard to force him to sell for that very reason. 

Bezos / Amazon is the most ruthlessly ambitious company maybe in history. Wouldn't put anything past them. They are skynet

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

he's up 5x in value since he bought it in 2000.  the S&P 500 index is 2.5x i think (roughly).  i'd love a toy that makes me 5x my money, gets me into a cool club and an ambassadorship to the UK.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

i'd say it's a lot more likely that he buys the seahawks if and when the go for sale.  

• Upvote 1