Mogglez

Le'Veon Bell speaks on Adam Gase, Sam Darnold. Spoiler Alert: GASE MAN NOT BAD.

I really needed to know what rapper LeVeon Bell had to say

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

For a guy that held out, Bell is pretty much the opposite of what you would expect. He seems a dedicated, intelligent team first guy with shockingly almost no hint of diva. Maybe he is diva behind the scenes but Manish would be all over that. Make you wonder how poorly he was treated by Pittsburgh. 

P.S. Not in love with the "toughest offense I've ever played in" concept for Sam

I thought he would be a total self centered A hole, but he's a great teammate and a lot of fun, his coaches and teammates loved him in Pittsburg, the steelers tried to acquire him at the trade deadline last year and he would have been traded if not for the dead money in his contract, foolish Gase mis used him last year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Riggins said:

I thought he would be a total self centered A hole, but he's a great teammate and a lot of fun, his coaches and teammates loved him in Pittsburg, the steelers tried to acquire him at the trade deadline last year and he would have been traded if not for the dead money in his contract, foolish Gase mis used him last year.

Maybe the turnaround in Bell's personality has to do with how Adam Gase has developed a relationship with him.

Maybe we went 6-2 after 1-7 because Adam Gase has great people skills that he chooses to withhold from the media.

Maybe everything you think about Adam Gase is wrong.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:32 PM, Warfish said:

Is it wrong of me that I could care less about this melodrama?

Here is what I care about:  Offensive production, scoring points, and winning.

I don;t care if Bell and Gase go out for tea and hold each others hands and dress each other up in frilly dresses.

I care if Bell produces, and if Gase calls plays that help Bell produce.

That's all.

I'm thinking this melodrama is more important to most Jets fans than the Washington Redskins naming melodrama that was put up a couple of days ago.

Come on, you laughed.

Seriously, I think that he has a good relationship with his HC, if he isnt the douch, hard ass that no one likes, it can be important.  That a player like Bell who was a top of the league player respects Gase and has open communication with him thats not a good thing.  There sure were enough threads cry about the opposite view 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

“I know you watched last year. Sam and I looked really bad, but he’s only 23, and this offense is really, really hard.”

Rah. Rah.

Boo hoo

Not even close

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DLJ said:

I really needed to know what rapper LeVeon Bell had to say

What were your thoughts when he spoke in this instance?

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Maybe the turnaround in Bell's personality has to do with how Adam Gase has developed a relationship with him.

Maybe we went 6-2 after 1-7 because Adam Gase has great people skills that he chooses to withhold from the media.

Maybe everything you think about Adam Gase is wrong.

SAR I

Not impressed with Gase, he's rich as hell, that's about it.

33 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Imagine unironically believing a Manish Mehta story.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/15/2020 at 2:13 PM, Mogglez said:

Kristian Dyer

Jul 14, 2020

Rumors of the demise of the relationship between New York Jets running back Le’Veon Bell and head coach Adam Gase are just that – rumors. So says Bell in a recent and candid interview with Hot 97.

Last season, there was speculation that Bell, the prize signing of the Jets offseason in 2019, had a rocky relationship with his head coach. In fact, the rumor mill said that part of the reason why then general manager Mike Maccagnan was let go by the Jets was due to his signing of Bell, which Gase reportedly was not in on board with.

But Bell, set now to enter his second season with the Jets, said that there are no issues with Gase. In fact, the All-Pro running back said that despite a down year statistically, he never communicated more with a head coach than he did with Gase.

“OK I’ve never played for an offensive-minded coach. So I’ve talked to him more than any other coach that I’ve ever talked to in my life,” Bell told Hot 97.

“So I don’t get how people get that relationship thing – it must have been a rumor before I got there. But since I got there, me and him don’t have no problems (sic).”

Last year was a difficult first season in New York for Bell. After signing a big contract with the Jets that included $35 million in guarantees, he put up statistically some of the worst numbers of his career.

Bell is hopeful, however, that the offense can turn things around now with a full year in Gase’s system. If quarterback Sam Darnold can take the next step in his development, than the whole offense, including Bell, can and will benefit.

“I love Sam – Sam just came down here with a couple of the receivers to Miami – we got two good workouts in. We hung out and talked, we got some food,” Bell said in the Hot 97 interview.

“He’s still a young player so he’s got a lot to learn. But I think this second year in this offense is really going to help him. This is his third year total in the NFL and he’s already had two different coaches. Rookie year, he comes in, different coach. Second year, he has to learn a whole new offense.

“This offense is not easy to learn, I’ve been playing football for a long time and this is the toughest offense I’ve ever played in.”

Toughest because he has never in his career been asked to do so much stupid stuff and he is just the rb. Love he has been great speaker for the team and always takes high road, but at some point we have to admit the obvious. Gase and his system suck. Even the most basic  concepts of the game escape him and his plays. It's going to be a long year.

54 minutes ago, Riggins said:

Maybe we went 6 and 2 at the end of the season cause we played terrible teams 

Posted (edited)

Give Bell credit for taking the high road here.  Dude has been a total pro from the day he arrived.  If Gase is paying attention he might learn a thing or two and find a way to get that career record closer to .500 and get his offense to climb all the way up to 30th.   Baby steps.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So just like that you're gonna' write of Pittsburgh's QB3 and every bench player on the Bills roster?  Haterz gonna' hate.

• Upvote 2

On 7/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Grandy said:

tzi6mxa34v951.png?width=600&auto=webp&s=80edd5b8486c746a3811cd18a45be96a35199bb6

Don't forget the screens carried over from Miami.

Ever care to check what looks the defenses were giving us? With a terrible OL I would beg the offense to run on 2nd 10... you want to pass the ball with 7 DBs in the field?

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, Warfish said:

Do you think players always tell their innermost feelings to the press?  Especially before a season he is contractually obligated to play for the Coach in question?  This stuff means very little, it's PR. 

So cool.  Lets see Bell go for 120 week 1.  That will tell me something.

You think Bell saying he has no problem with Gase, saying they communicate well will go even 1% toward whether he sticks or not after this season if he doesn't have a break out season?

And on the hells of Manishs article?  Yeah, I think could have skirted the issue if he wanted to, if there really is a problem.  Bell could just simply answered that he doesnt know where the report came from, that he doesnt have any problems with Gase.  He didn't have to go into it as deep as he did here and as detailed as he did.

What I love best is that Manish tweets that some unnamed, unknown insider has said there is a problem and the usual group of fans fall over themselves with the "see" or "just like Miami" posts and when the source himself says those reports are fiction and nonsense the same fans cry bullshlt and its a PR move.

11 hours ago, Riggins said:

At least Gase said at his exit meeting with Bell that he would. view Bell's Pittsburg tape to see howhe might able to incorporate some of that stuff next season, you can't make this stuff up.

Maybe if the Jets paid Gase another several mil he would have reviewed Bells Pittsburg Highligts before last season, not sure how anyone can defend this, but I very much look forward to any responses.

Glad to hear Bell had something positive to say about the coach. Listening to the pundits bash him unmercifully on Locked-on Jets makes me wonder why Douglas kept him at all. I know the talk about Sam needing continuity but if the guy is that miserable both as a coach and as a person why stay with him? I totally trust Douglas, his judgement and his smarts. If he thinks Gase is worth a second chance so will I.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Gase is a friggin weirdo 

sixandtwo.jpg

SAR I

• Haha 2

On 7/15/2020 at 5:32 PM, Warfish said:

Is it wrong of me that I could care less about this melodrama?

Here is what I care about:  Offensive production, scoring points, and winning.

I don;t care if Bell and Gase go out for tea and hold each others hands and dress each other up in frilly dresses.

I care if Bell produces, and if Gase calls plays that help Bell produce.

That's all.

I agree, but think there is merit in his statement.  His problem last season had less to do with Gase, then the rust from a year off, a horrible offensive line that opened few holes and inexperienced quarterback experiencing additional growing pains in his second season.   I expect him to play a lot better this year and really serve as security blanket for Darnold out of the backfield.    I'm looking forward to seeing him running behind Mekhi Becton with a head of steam... :-)

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 2:24 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We were a terrible team too.   

• Upvote 2

On 7/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, SAR I said:
  • Cleans out the malcontents.
  • Gets Maccagnan fired.
  • Recruits and hires Gregg Williams.
  • Recruits and hires Joe Douglas.
  • Handles 0-4 and airplane banners brilliantly.
  • Hangs tough and rallies team after 1-7 start.
  • Adjusts offense and makes Darnold a Top 10 QB when healthy.
  • Resounding 6-2 finish among the best turnarounds in team history.
  • No coaches want out.  No players backstab and bolt.
  • Broken Florham Park culture finally addressed and corrected.

Perhaps its time to get off the guy's back and recognize the fact that we finally have a grown-up head coach who knows what the f--- he's doing.

SAR I

you've been spot on since the start man. Gase is exactly what we need...a guy who has a plan and knows how to execute it. you can agree or disagree, but the point is he knows what he wants.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, SAR I said:
  • Cleans out the malcontents.
  • Gets Maccagnan fired.
  • Recruits and hires Gregg Williams.
  • Recruits and hires Joe Douglas.
  • Handles 0-4 and airplane banners brilliantly.
  • Hangs tough and rallies team after 1-7 start.
  • Adjusts offense and makes Darnold a Top 10 QB when healthy.
  • Resounding 6-2 finish among the best turnarounds in team history.
  • No coaches want out.  No players backstab and bolt.
  • Broken Florham Park culture finally addressed and corrected.

Perhaps its time to get off the guy's back and recognize the fact that we finally have a grown-up head coach who knows what the f--- he's doing.

SAR I

Cool story bro. 

Highlight the most meaningful part, the part that effectively ended our season and mast most of what followed meaningless garbage time.

Let me ask you this:

Will we be a winning team in 2020?

Will we compete for a playoff spot right up till the final week?

Will we have a top-15 producing offense?

If the answer is "yes" to all three, you're perhaps right, we should (at that point) "get off Gase's back".

If any answer is "no".....

Show me.  Don't tell me.

Bell strikes me as an articulate guy who obviously has visions of life after football. Regardless of what happens on the field this year he’s set up for life financially. He’s going to toe the company line and try to have one more good season to squeeze out another seven figure salary next year. If the Jets suck again and he isn’t effective look for him to check out and go quietly into the night.

Bell would play for the Edmonton Eskimos if they offered him the most money. 

On 7/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, Samtorobby47 said:

Why’s it the toughest offense to play in? A good coach would make it easy.

let george bush GIF

The offensive line last year inspire the NFL to rename the position group the Maginot line 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Let me ask you this:

Let me respond to your question with a question.

Do you really believe that this roster is a roster that should produce a winning record in 2020?

Do you really believe that this roster should compete for a playoff sport right up to the final week of 2020?

Do you really believe that this roster, the offense, should be rated as a top-15 producing offense?

If the answer is "yes" to all three, then yes he absolutely could be questioned as to why they came up short. 

If any answer is "no" then its a whole lot more complicated than its the HCs fault.  You cant blame a HC for having 8-8 talent and not winning.  So what do you think this roster is.  Thats the moving target he should hit.

How did this thread go from Manish is wrong, Bell likes Gase, they communicate and have no issues to Gase sucks?  

On 7/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, Riggins said:

Did that happen? I don't remember it. 

I never wanted Bell, and expect this to be his last year with the team, but I've been impressed with his professionalism here. He could've lashed out -fairly, IMHO- at the coaches or the OL or even Sam, but he's instead been nothing but a complete team player. 

This is a huge year for Bell. He's playing either to earn the rest of his contract with the Jets (highly unlikely), or another nice contract with his next team. I hope he plays well enough to make it a tough decision for JD, but I doubt it will be. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Did that happen? I don't remember it.

According to Bell it did.  He said the Texans, Packers, Chiefs and Steelers inquired at the deadline, but the Jets were "really asking a high price."  He said he got it from his agent. Conner and the others were banged up, so it isn't super farfetched.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Highlight the most meaningful part, the part that effectively ended our season and mast most of what followed meaningless garbage time.

7-DFC653-B-17-DD-474-C-B5-FA-59306-EB6-E

Let me ask you this:

Yes.

Yes.

No.  And it's not an indictment on Gase but rather years of neglect on the offensive side of the ball by numerous GM's and head coaches.  Gase's clever gameplans and Darnold's raw ability overcomes many deficiencies, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

If the answer is "yes" to all three, you're perhaps right, we should (at that point) "get off Gase's back".

If any answer is "no".....

Show me.  Don't tell me.

Gase is a head coach, not an offensive coordinator.  As a head coach, the 6-2 finish after the 1-7 start plagued by illness, injuries, and a third-string quarterback was a great job, couldn't have asked a head coach to do more.  Most had the Jets at 6-10 and we finished at 7-9.  Most demanded that Darnold show growth, and he had a 7-5 record as a starter on a crippled team.  Most demanded that our defense show flashes of dominance and they did.

Adam gets an A for last season.  I expect the same this season.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you really believe that this roster is a roster that should produce a winning record in 2020?

Yes, absolutely.

Do you really believe that this roster should compete for a playoff sport right up to the final week of 2020?

Yes, absolutely.

Do you really believe that this roster, the offense, should be rated as a top-15 producing offense?

Yes, absolutely.

If the answer is "yes" to all three, then yes he absolutely could be questioned as to why they came up short.

My answer is yes to all the above.

What I find interesting is it's the biggest "OMG we're so great, Darnold is great, Gase is great, Mims is great, etc." folks who, when asked about actual results, always default back to "well, we can;t expect wins or playoffs or passing TD's or rankings, we're not very good".

Our roster is absolutely on-par, talent wise, with other middle-level AFC East teams.  We're not the Chiefs, true.  But we are the equal of most other teams, talent wise.

If any answer is "no" then its a whole lot more complicated than its the HCs fault.  You cant blame a HC for having 8-8 talent and not winning.  So what do you think this roster is.  Thats the moving target he should hit.

All due respect, I don't want to hear about how great Gase is as a Head Coach or how great Darnold is as a QB from the same folks who won;t hold Gase to a minimal 8-8 expectation or Darnold to a 15-rated QB expectation.  That kind of cake and eat it to lack of accountability is IMO one of the worst aspects of fandom. 

If Gase and Darnold are great, this team should absolutely be competitive in 2020, especially given our specific division.  A year of "Buffalo and Allen sucks" and "Patriots without Brady sucks" and "Miami, lol, worst team in AFC" and "Gase is the best Coach in the AFC" and "Darnold is a Superstar about to breakout" threads would seem to indicate, by logical extension, that we should in fact be competitive in 2020.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Yes.

Yes.

Great, so we agree on these two.  That's a start.

No.  And it's not an indictment on Gase but rather years of neglect on the offensive side of the ball by numerous GM's and head coaches.  Gase's clever gameplans and Darnold's raw ability overcomes many deficiencies, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

There is more than enough talent on this offense to be average.

Darnold, Bell, Gore, Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Herndon, Griffin, with this materially upgraded O-line including a top elite pick in Becton?

There is no talent deficientcy here.  The RB's are old, but there are two of them which should limit that weakness.

again, more than enough talent to be AVERAGE.

Gase is a head coach, not an offensive coordinator.

I beg to differ.  His title is Head Coach.  His actual function is both Head Coach AND Offensive Coordinator. 

Please, save us both the embarrassment of trying to argue that we're running the "Dowell Loggains Offensive System" or that Loggains is calling all the plays, lol.

The production of the Offense is 100% tied to Adam Gase and Adam Gase alone.

Adam gets an A for last season.  I expect the same this season.

SAR I

Last season was a losing season that started 1-7 with a record setting loss to the 0-forever Dolphins and 0-forever Bengals.  It's a F in every objective book, salvaging garbage time when nothing mattered aside.

An "A" in 2020 is a playoff berth and top 15 offense with Darnold producing to at least a 15th rated level.  Anything less is not an "A".

So good, lets see that happen.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Great, so we agree on these two.  That's a start.

All we are saying is give peace a chance.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is more than enough talent on this offense to be average.

Darnold, Bell, Gore, Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Herndon, Griffin, with this materially upgraded O-line including a top elite pick in Becton?

There is no talent deficientcy here.  The RB's are old, but there are two of them which should limit that weakness.

again, more than enough talent to be AVERAGE.

If we finish 10-6 and win the AFC East and host a home playoff game, I'm not going to complain if we're #18 in offense.  I'd love for Air Coryell to appear in Florham Park, but we don't have those kind of weapons yet.  What we have is a quarterback who can overcome deficiencies in the roster.  That's more important.  Ask me this question in 2022 and my expectations will be very different.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The production of the Offense is 100% tied to Adam Gase and Adam Gase alone.

Then so is the production on Defense.  Adam had a great defensive year in 2019.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Last season was a losing season that started 1-7 with a record setting loss to the 0-forever Dolphins and 0-forever Bengals.  It's a F in every objective book, salvaging garbage time when nothing mattered aside.

Darnold clearly wasn't himself the first few games back from mono.  Trevor Simeon beats the Dolphins and Bengals, and the Jets make the playoffs.  Darnold doesn't get mono, the Jets make the playoffs.  

The only area that we really differ is on metrics.  I don't think being just below average on offensive stats is a poor expectation considering the state of the roster on the offensive side of the ball.  This is a 5-11 offense led by a 10-6 quarterback.  In a few years, we can have a great set of WR's and a Top 5 RB.  This year, not so much.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

How did this thread go from Manish is wrong, Bell likes Gase, they communicate and have no issues to Gase sucks?  

mccarthy.jpg

The "I'm With Him" crowd is still sore that they lost.

SAR I

• Upvote 1