1. 1. Pick a starter

• Winters
    • GVR
    • Conor McDermott
    • Cameron Clark
    • Ben Braden
    • James Murray

11 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

GVR played LG in Carolina, why does everyone assume he’ll be moved to the right?

I ASSume because Alex Lewis was not one of his choices.  

The starting guards will be Lewis and GVR.  I'd agree GVR will probably be on the left side and Lewis on the right, but you never know. 

I'd send Winter off.  You save a LOT of cap and the Jets now have better options for 2nd string interior lineman. 

Just want to add.  If Becton does not work out... OH BOY... Bad, BAD news... 

52 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Here is the Jets starting offensive line for 2020

LT: George Fant

LG: Alex Lewis

C Connor McGovern

RG: Greg Van Roten

RT: Mekhi Becton

And yes... I will be shocked if Becton starts at LT.  It is not an easy position for a former college guy to start at even if he played on a team that had a lot of passing sets.  Becton was a steam roller for sure, but he comes with very little pass blocking experience.  He may surprise, but convention says he has a ways to go before he can handle NFL edge rushers on the left side.

I agree.  Even more so considering we don't know what the off season will look like, and there will be less pre season games for him to work at.

18 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I would not dump Winters in this new Covid sensitive environment.

This year we're going to need as much depth as possible.

Dunno...   I think it comes down to how Winters can perform.  If his bad to awful performance as of late was due to injury and that injury has improved and thus his performance, yeah... I agree.  But if we'd get the same Winters... Ug... Just about any interior lineman on the roster would be a better choice to keep around and at a much lesser price...

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Dunno...   I think it comes down to how Winters can perform.  If his bad to awful performance as of late was due to injury and that injury has improved and thus his performance, yeah... I agree.  But if we'd get the same Winters... Ug... Just about any interior lineman on the roster would be a better choice to keep around and at a much lesser price...

This is how I feel, but the proof is in the pudding. He was a free cap cut and yet he’s still on roster.  I thought for sure they’d let him go. 

• Upvote 1

I voted Winters.

When healthy he is good, not great...but good.  The Jets are not a team that should be saying goodbye to good OLinemen even if they believe they have an adequate replacement.  As we saw last year, depth is important. Joe D would lose his mind (and some of his credibility) if the Jets somehow got stuck in a situation where they were patching up the OLine again in the middle of the season.

Keepers:  McGovern, Becton, Fant, Lewis, Winters, GVR, Edoga, Andrews, Clark (although he could be PS).  This assumes 9 OLinemen kept.

Notables I've leaving out - Harrison, who loses out because GVR and Andrews can back-up at Center. McDermott, who I think loses out to 2nd year Edoga because Chuma has shown potential as a swing tackle.  Ben Braden, who probably loses out because Clark is considered the guy they want to develop and hope he becomes either an adequate starter or high-end backup.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Continuity is key given limited practice time and so many new faces.

I think Winters will be starting Week 1, with the hope that he doesn't end up keeping that job throughout the season.

Yeah, I think they'll start with Winters for a bit of continuity with 3 other new starters highly likely, and to buy some time for (hopefully), a young guy to step up eventually and take the job. Of course, Winters could get hurt at any time...

I still like Lewis as a backup all along the line, so start GVR at LG.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I voted Winters.

When healthy he is good, not great...but good.  The Jets are not a team that should be saying goodbye to good OLinemen even if they believe they have an adequate replacement.  As we saw last year, depth is important. Joe D would lose his mind (and some of his credibility) if the Jets somehow got stuck in a situation where they were patching up the OLine again in the middle of the season.

Keepers:  McGovern, Becton, Fant, Lewis, Winters, GVR, Edoga, Andrews, Clark (although he could be PS).  This assumes 9 OLinemen kept.

Notables I've leaving out - Harrison, who loses out because GVR and Andrews can back-up at Center. McDermott, who I think loses out to 2nd year Edoga because Chuma has shown potential as a swing tackle.  Ben Braden, who probably loses out because Clark is considered the guy they want to develop and hope he becomes either an adequate starter or high-end backup.

With Lewis and GVR on the roster. I will be very surprised if Winters starts.  If JD is the smart fellow I think he is, Winters is gone

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

With Lewis and GVR on the roster. I will be very surprised if Winters starts.  If JD is the smart fellow I think he is, Winters is gone

I understand that perspective.  I simply think the importance (and history from last year) with the OLine factors in here.  We have a young QB whose development has been hampered because of OLine deficiencies.

I have no problem if Winters loses out on a starting job to GVR in camp, that might actually be a good thing.  But I disagree that we should send him packing if he's healthy.  Last year's expected starting OGs were Brian Winters and Kelechi Osemele.  Both got hurt.  If Lewis and GVR start as you suggest, and they get hurt, who is stepping in and what does that do for the chances of the offense to function adequately?

I'm not completely sold on Josh Andrews and Ben Braden.  Winters isn't cheap, but he's affordable with where the Jets are right now Cap-wise.  I'd hang on to that insurance policy.

It's going to be Winters for the following reasons 

-he's the only RG with RG experience on the roster. Alex Lewis has LG/RT experience, and Clark projects similarly.  Van Roten has LG/C experience. Andrews and Harrison are backup C types. 

-Winters has 80 games of AFC East experience, again all at RG 

-they could have cut him ages ago, but chose not to 

-his contract dictates he and Lewis will start

-as I whine about constantly, the Jets are actually under the cap floor at the moment, cutting Winters and Williamson worsens a problem only spending money can fix. They no likey spendy money. 

but - and this is a huge caveat- Winters and Lewis are both injury prone and while Winters will start the year he certainly won't finish it. 

with this whole COVID IR situation teams are going to need as many bodies as possible along the line

where's there no way to socially distance  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's going to be Winters for the following reasons 

-he's the only RG with RG experience on the roster. Alex Lewis has LG/RT experience, and Clark projects similarly.  Van Roten has LG/C experience. Andrews and Harrison are backup C types. 

-Winters has 80 games of AFC East experience, again all at RG 

-they could have cut him ages ago, but chose not to 

-his contract dictates he and Lewis will start

-as I whine about constantly, the Jets are actually under the cap floor at the moment, cutting Winters and Williamson worsens a problem only spending money can fix. They no likey spendy money. 

but - and this is a huge caveat- Winters and Lewis are both injury prone and while Winters will start the year he certainly won't finish it. 

with this whole COVID IR situation teams are going to need as many bodies as possible along the line

where's there no way to socially distance  

Good post.  My only retort......Wide Splits!

:D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.  My only retort......Wide Splits!

:D

yeah the Jets have the widest splits in the league ;)

it's the potted plants on the other side of the line I'm worried about

suspect the linemen will have to wear those mouth attachment masks, even if the WR/DB can't/won't

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Also, interesting preliminary Depth Chart from the guys at Our Lads.

Both Winters and Chuma penciled in as starters...

1308501225_ScreenShot2020-07-17at10_29_18AM.thumb.png.9650bce0e91187fda362e47bb81b29be.png

If Wesco is our fullback...why not sign an actual fullback?  A big, thudding, headcracking, inside-linebacker-hunting fullback.  Wesco isn't a TE and he isn't a fullback.  He was a nice experiment.  He either puts on 30 pounds of muscle and turns into Mike Alstott, or you let him walk.

51 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

If Wesco is our fullback...why not sign an actual fullback?  A big, thudding, headcracking, inside-linebacker-hunting fullback.  Wesco isn't a TE and he isn't a fullback.  He was a nice experiment.  He either puts on 30 pounds of muscle and turns into Mike Alstott, or you let him walk.

Here we are with Wesco listed as the TE3/Fullback and meanwhile the 49ers got George Kittle with a 5th round pick two years prior.

I want to fire Mike Maccagnan over and over again.

58 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Alstott was 6’1, 247.

Wesco is listed at 6’3, 267... if he gained 30 lbs as you suggest, he’d be slower than he currently is. 

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Do you mean lose 30lbs? He’s already 30lbs heavier. If he gains 30lbs he’d be an OG. 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, THE BARON said:

Here is the Jets starting offensive line for 2020

LT: George Fant

LG: Alex Lewis

C Connor McGovern

RG: Greg Van Roten

RT: Mekhi Becton

And yes... I will be shocked if Becton starts at LT.  It is not an easy position for a former college guy to start at even if he played on a team that had a lot of passing sets.  Becton was a steam roller for sure, but he comes with very little pass blocking experience.  He may surprise, but convention says he has a ways to go before he can handle NFL edge rushers on the left side.

That’s a bottom tier o-line again.  
Gotta really feel bad for Sam. 

11 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Alstott was 6’1, 247.

Wesco is listed at 6’3, 267... if he gained 30 lbs as you suggest, he’d be slower than he currently is. 

This is what I was gonna say. Wesco is a few inches shorter and about 15 lbs heavier than the Jets other TEs. I don't need a fulltime fullback, I prefer someone with the versatility to play traditional TE, Flanker, or FB. He's an offensive 'tweener who's also a solid special teamer. I just like the kid and hope he sticks, regardless of who drafted him. Herndon and Griffin are locks, putting Wesco in a battle with Brown and Travis for the #3 job. Maybe they'd keep four if they thought the value was there over the WR position... ? I don't know. I think Wesco's ability to do a lot of things helps him, though. 

I'd like to see the ball in his hands more. I know he's slow, but he's still fun to watch. He's not easy to take down. 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, Greenseed4 said:

Alstott was 6’1, 247.

Alstott was 6’1, 247.

Oh. My bad. 

On 7/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, Philc1 said:

Unfortunately we are stuck with Winters.  He knows the plays already and we have a very shortened TC and preseason 

The truth is Winters has been a good player for three years when healthy, he's just always injured and always plays through it because our depth has been so bad that awful-injured-Winters was still a better player that healthy-backup-dude. That's no longer the case this year; if Winters starts and gets injured, they can plug in a backup OG (Lewis or GVR, whichever wasn't starting) without hesitation.  That makes a difference

• Upvote 1

If Winters is healthy he is starting.  Becton should and will start camp as LT1 and should be given every chance to secure that spot.  Unless he struggles mightily, he needs to play LT this year.   IMO I think he’ll be fine there from day 1, just give him as many reps as possible.  

Alstott was 6’1, 247.

todd christensen started out as a fullback.  how'd he turn out?  i think a lot of fans think that just because a guy is big he can plow through defenders.  it just depends on so much.  alstott had the balance and technique to hit the defenders at the right angles to make them miss tackles.  we'll see where wesco is this season.