Beachum signs with Cards

slats

Some folks here were hoping the Jets might bring him back as insurance. 

Cardinals announce Kelvin Beachum signing

Posted by Josh Alper on July 17, 2020, 2:52 PM EDT

GettyImages-1197000400-e1595011910633.jp
Getty Images

The Cardinals announced the signing of veteran offensive tackle Kelvin Beachum on Friday.

Word that a deal with Beachum was close surfaced on Thursday and the one-year deal is now official.

Beachum spent the last three seasons with the Jets and started 45 games at left tackle for the AFC East club over that time. The 2012 Steelers seventh-round pick opened his career with four seasons in Pittsburgh and moved on to Jacksonville for one year before joining the Jets.

Cardinals offensive line coach Sean Kugler had the same job in Pittsburgh when Beachum was with the Steelers, so they have a relationship in place heading into training camp despite the timing of the move.

D.J. Humphries is set to start at left tackle in Arizona. Marcus Gilbert, Justin Murray and third-rounder Josh Jones are expected to be in the mix to start at the other tackle spot.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wish he'd been signed earlier so we could have maybe snagged a comp pick.

I don't know what kind of contract he got. Looks like he's gonna compete for the RT spot... ? 

Just now, Hael said:

I dont think we qualify for comp picks this year.  As usual, we are net beggars in free agency.

I think we added one more free agent than we lost.  7-6 or something.  Beachum + one other UFA leaving would have given us a shot at a comp pick.

Next year will be a different story, I think.  Douglas is going to turn the tide and start winning comp picks every offseason.  Just like his old boss Ozzie Newsome used to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

It isn't that straight forward. They look at additions subtractions salaries and a whole bunch of crap. To sum it up the pats* the get a 3rd each year regardless.

Oh I know.  You have to lose more UFA's than you gain AND those UFA's have to essentially get paid (and perform?) better than the ones you added.  Whatever that complicated algorithm is.

Just saying that losing Beachum during the traditional UFA period would have maybe helped us TOWARD that end.  We were pretty close to being eligbile.

• Upvote 1

Honestly shocked it took this long.  He's no Anthony Munoz and he'll get beat by the elite guys as many OT's do, but he's a solid player and you probably won't have a better person in your  locker room.

• Upvote 1

I had some hope the Jets would find a way to add an older, solid veteran as a backup at LT.  Thought either Beachum or Jason Peters would be a good fit depending on the price tag.  I also saw a bit of a Josh McCown role that both of those guys are suited to play with Becton as a mentor.  A little bummed that both Beachum and Peters are gone.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good for him, quality man who served the NYC community

Did anyone see him on that HGTV show? My wife showed me when she saw it was Beachum. Loving son who takes care of his folks in a practical way. 

Fixer Upper: A Son's Generosity Expands the Scope of a Reno

Chip and Joanna face a big challenge in the form of a limited budget for a ranch home remodel in Mexia, Texas. But when the clients' son Kelvin Beachum Jr., offensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, comes through with a surprise addition to the budget, the renovation takes on a grander scale.

Keep in mind: Price and stock could change after publish date, and we may make money from these links.
January 24, 2017
  •  

Advertis1485204374562.jpegement

The Beachum Project

For this project, Chip and Joanna worked with clients Kelvin and Culetta Beachum who live in Mexia, Texas, about 40 miles outside Waco. The Beachums were looking for a house big enough to accommodate family gatherings, including grandkids, and their budget including renovations was $160,000. The house they purchased for $130,000 left a renovation budget that would essentially just allow for some basic cosmetic changes.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Was a quiet good signing by Mac who was pretty underrated in his time here.

Good player, even better person.

Fantastic leader, was definitely one of the guys who got us up off the 1-7 carpet.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I had some hope the Jets would find a way to add an older, solid veteran as a backup at LT.  Thought either Beachum or Jason Peters would be a good fit depending on the price tag.  I also saw a bit of a Josh McCown role that both of those guys are suited to play with Becton as a mentor.  A little bummed that both Beachum and Peters are gone.

I was hoping Beachum would be back on a cheap 1-year deal, but as the nicest dude in the world, I knew he wasn't coming back when he took a shot the way the Jets ran their offense.  Tweeted something during the SB or playoffs along the lines of "run the ball?  must be nice".  A misguided quote IMO as the Jets didn't run it more because they weren't good enough to run it more, but Beachum clearly wasn't very happy here.

Edited by AFJF

Always gonna have love for Beachum.  Dude was a great locker room/culture guy.  Cardinals are getting a good one in that regard.  He's definitely not what he once was though.  He can't run block and was beat like a drum multiple times a game this year.  Even when he didn't give up the sack, the pressure off the left side was painfully noticeable.  The guy only had 4 sacks credited against him, but this was a common occurrence.  Of all people, Luke Falk made sure this wasn't a sack: 786D6BC0-01D5-40FD-BB0C-F9FD136F9CB6.jpeg.8f624e529f0cd500faa1861999cb413f.jpeg

3A15931F-A509-4270-9121-771D68B3F82E.jpeg.d70c54beaff2e2ec1970032cf02c90bd.jpeg

470FA620-F970-44E9-92A9-21F6F62D3653.jpeg.6329aeb09fe56d09e74351b97494b1b1.jpeg

CC389535-7EAF-4634-9151-A6D64986CE0B.jpeg.514464e714e138d659e662906d6fce58.jpeg

He's much better off as a back-up nowadays, which I believe he will be in Arizona.

• Upvote 2

Beachum is a good microcosm of the Jets issues the past however many years.  Beachum himself is a solid, unspectacular player.  You can win with guys like him at LT or somewhere along your OL.  He just can't be your best OL otherwise you are in trouble.  Same for Jordan Jenkins.

Good luck to him.

• Upvote 4