Jamal Adams ranked #1 in ESPNs top 10 Safteys

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I assume these same folks will be willing to hand Braden Mann $16M a season when he proves to be the game's best Punter.  

That’s a bit of a stretch. You’re comparing a punter to a DB. 
The current going rate for top safeties is $14M a season. If Adams gets $15/16 a season that’s about right for the market. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The GM is not Mike Maccagnan. 

Or did the same people demanding we pay Jamal already forget that its "All about building around Sam"?

Take that up with our GM.

If “it’s all about building around Sam” why were we drafting Safeties, backup QBs and Punters this year?

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know why it's so hard for so many Adams fans to accept that he's still just a Strong Safety.

It like they don't understand what the premium positions are in the NFL and care more about having a "star" than about winning.

nailed it

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That’s a bit of a stretch. You’re comparing a punter to a DB. 
The current going rate for top safeties is $14M a season. If Adams gets $15/16 a season that’s about right for the market. 

The only SS that gets $14M per is Landon Collins, and we all know how that worked out for the Redskins.

Other "$14M club" Safeties Eddie Jackson, Kevin Byard and Mathieu are not really SS's, even if they occasionally are listed at that spot on the field.  

You have to go all the way down to Harrison Smith to find the next true SS.  Salary:  $10.25M per.

Kareem Jackson makes $11M per if you want to count him.  Up until last year he was playing Corner for the Texans.  He moved to SS for the Broncos at the age of 31.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only SS that gets $14M per is Landon Collins, and we all know how that worked out for the Redskins.

Other "$14M club" Safeties Eddie Jackson, Kevin Byard and Mathieu are not really SS's, even if they occasionally are listed at that spot on the field.  

You have to go all the way down to Harrison Smith to find the next true SS.  Salary:  $10.25M per.

Mathieu plays hybrid FS/SS

Adams plays hybrid SS/LB 

Adams gets more tackles and sacks HB gets more INTs. Both are valuable. Once Adams rookie contract is up his price and S price in general will be higher so they need to either pay him after this season or move on. If he has a great year (if there is a year) he’s going to want even more. 

• Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Mathieu plays hybrid FS/SS

Adams plays hybrid SS/LB 

Adams gets more tackles and sacks HB gets more INTs. Both are valuable. Once Adams rookie contract is up his price and S price in general will be higher so they need to either pay him after this season or move on. If he has a great year (if there is a year) he’s going to want even more. 

FS/SS hybrid is definitely more valuable than a SS/LB hybrid.  Mathieu gets INTs (17 for his career, or 2.4 per season), Pass Deflections (61; 12 last year) and even a few Sacks (5.0 over the last 2 seasons since being used as a SS) that people love to use to defend Adams.  I dare say he's as effective on the blitz as Adams is, if not moreso, given the infrequency with which he is used in that role.

The closer to the LOS a DB is used, the less valuable he is to a team.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

FS/SS hybrid is definitely more valuable than a SS/LB hybrid.  Mathieu gets INTs (17 for his career, or 2.4 per season), Pass Deflections (61; 12 last year) and even a few Sacks (5.0 over the last 2 seasons since being used as a SS) that people love to use to defend Adams.  I dare say he's as effective on the blitz as Adams is, if not moreso, given the infrequency with which he is used in that role.

The closer to the LOS a DB is used, the less valuable he is to a team.  

He still valuable. It’s not his fault the team sucked and he was asked to play the way he did.

Adams 3 years 12 sacks, 2 ints, PD 25. 

HB 3 years 6 sacks, 8 ints, 27 PDs. 

And I’m adding Adams rookie numbers into this. HB rookie year 2 ints, 1 sack, 9 PD and he’s been to 2 pro bowls (the same as Adams in less then half the time). Including playing on a SB winning team that get up huge every game so the other team had to throw against them and he had a pass rush. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t know why it’s so hard for so many Jet fans to accept we have a good player on our team.

It’s like they would prefer we don’t have anyone good so they can be miserable.

Like Stranger Katie and her "G-d Damn Jets" t-shirt?

Stranger Katie.JPG

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

3115373.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

1. Jamal Adams, New York Jets

This wasn't all that close for some.

"He's the second-best defensive player in football," said an NFC exec, placing Adams behind Aaron Donald in the pantheon.

But Adams didn't dominate the voting in all sectors, with Vikings safety Harrison Smith pushing him for No. 1 until Adams pulled away over the final few votes.

pay him!

Now we know what the "Keep it Playa" tweet was about. 

50 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Take that up with our GM.

If “it’s all about building around Sam” why were we drafting Safeties, backup QBs and Punters this year?

Gee, someone must have forgot that our first round pick was a LT, and our second round pick was a WR. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, RobR said:

Gee, someone must have forgot that our first round pick was a LT, and our second round pick was a WR. 

No, I would’ve liked to have seen more like those two.

I think another OL and WR would’ve helped more this year than a Punter and a backup QB.

Not to mention a safety, who although I’m rooting for him to work out was just a really ironic pick... Leo for a safety just strikes me as funny, sorry.

I’m not knocking those other picks, but we had more pressing needs, and I’m just pointing out they “weren’t about Sam.”

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

No, I would’ve liked to have seen more like those two.

I think another OL and WR would’ve helped more this year than a Punter and a backup QB.

Not to mention a safety, who although I’m rooting for him to work out was just a really ironic pick... Leo for a safety just strikes me as funny, sorry.

I’m not knocking those other picks, but we had more pressing needs, and I’m just pointing out they “weren’t about Sam.”

Davis is a FS, Adams is a SS. We didn't have a FS on the roster because neither Maye or Adams are true FS's. Nothing about this is ironic.

There is a massive difference between the 2 positions. A FS in most cases is more valuable than a SS. Having a FS that has the range to cover half the field and the instincts to make a play on the ball is tough, much tougher than the LoS SS. 

It's like saying a 3/4 DE and 4/3 DE are the same thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

What is our record the past two years if we didn't have Adams?

What does that have to do with having good players on your roster?

I cant figure this comment out.  22 starters on O & D plus STs and pointing fingers at your best player last season for what reason?  

Hey, who cares, maybe we would be a 4-12 team instead of a 7-9 team.  

Really?

2 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

2 OL, WR, RB, a possible backup QB and a P who can flip the field isnt about Sam?
Are we watching the same game?

Jets paid Wilkerson. Jets paid Trumaine Johnson. Jets paid Enunwa. Jets paid these stiffs and nobody wants them to pay the #1 ranked safety? I don't get it. If Adams was on another team and was a free agent we would be begging the Jets to sign him. He makes our whole defense that more effective. Pay the man.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

Jets paid Wilkerson. Jets paid Trumaine Johnson. Jets paid Enunwa. Jets paid these stiffs and nobody wants them to pay the #1 ranked safety? I don't get it. 

It's insane that people don't want the Jets to repeat the same mistakes of the past. I don't even think they're fans of the team. 

5 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

What’s really funny is the same guys who bash Adams, adore Douglas.

You know, the guy who fleeced Gettleman in the Leo trade? The one where we got the 4th pick in the 3rd round, and drafted, wait for it.... a SAFETY!!! ?

1.  The 3rd-4th round is where Safeties should be picked.  

Kam Chancellor, who is Adams's best comparison as a player (he was actually better than Adams) was a 5th round pick.  You know what his most lucrative contract was?  3 years 36 million dollars, 25 million guaranteed in 2017.

Eddie Jackson?  The player that Jamal would need to surpass to become the highest paid Safety?  4th round pick in the same class as Jamal.  Plays FS, the more "premium" position of the two Safety slots.  His 2018 season is better than any season Jamal has put together so far in the pros.  He makes 14.6 million dollars per year.

2.  As someone above me said, Ashtyn Davis is a true FS, which we didn't have.  Either Adams will get traded and Maye will slide to SS, or Ashtyn will replace Maye entirely after this year, maybe even sooner, at FS.

3.  Yeah.  Gettleman, in hindsight, should have never given up a 3rd round pick for a player like Leo.  I don't know how anyone could think otherwise.  Even Giants fans are still upset with that trade.  They're currently paying Leo 16 million dollars this year for his 46 tackles (only 26 were as a Giants player) and 0.5 sacks from last year.  He also wants 2-4 more per year in a long-term deal.  Oh, and Gettleman did it while they were 2-6 and heading nowhere fast.  The cherry on top?  Our run defense got better without him. Folorunso Fatukasi got more playing time and for peanuts on the dollar, we got the same (actually better) production.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

40 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

He makes our whole defense that more effective. Pay the man.

We played Daryl Roberts at FS, slipped Maye down to the box/SS week 14 and the defense, literally, didn't skip a beat.  They were very stout against the run, the secondary played well, occasionally getting beat underneath or by Fitzpatrick's legs because there is no true pass rusher so we have to blitz a ton, leaving gaps in space, and Maye + Roberts combined for 10 solo tackles and 1 assisted tackle.

The Jets beat the Dolphins and won the game.

Is Jamal a better Safety than Roberts or Maye?  Yeah.  Is the drop off in play bad enough to the point where it would be worth paying Adams 18-20 million dollars per year?  Absolutely not.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

These comments are nauseating. The Jets can’t pay the best player on the team because he is a “box safety”? Again what are the Jets doing with the cap space? Who are they going to pay? 

LeVeon Bell, CJ Mosley, and Quincy Enunwa are making $40MM this year. Adams for $20MM is a bargain compared to that. 

If a team ponied up a Khalil Mack type package for Jamal I’d move him, but overall I have no issue paying him-it’s a no brainer honestly. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jets paid Wilkerson. Jets paid Trumaine Johnson. Jets paid Enunwa. Jets paid these stiffs and nobody wants them to pay the #1 ranked safety? I don't get it. If Adams was on another team and was a free agent we would be begging the Jets to sign him. He makes our whole defense that more effective. Pay the man.

Three mistakes made by the NFL’s worst GM - whose bad:smart transaction ratio was probably north of 10:1 - are not compelling reasons for a different GM to extend Adams now, any more than two wrongs make a right. 

Pay the man, lol.

The only reason to “pay the man” is: if the team would never consider trading him and if they fell locking him up early would result in a steep discount over the cost of extending him later. Neither of those reasons exist between the Jets and Adams, let alone both reasons.

And speak for yourself that “we would be begging the Jets to sign” Adams at his demand rate of over $20MM/year, after sitting out what would’ve been an oft-blitzing box safety’s only challenging game last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

20 hours ago, GreekJet said:

These comments are nauseating. The Jets can’t pay the best player on the team because he is a “box safety”? Again what are the Jets doing with the cap space? Who are they going to pay? 

LeVeon Bell, CJ Mosley, and Quincy Enunwa are making $40MM this year. Adams for $20MM is a bargain compared to that. 

If a team ponied up a Khalil Mack type package for Jamal I’d move him, but overall I have no issue paying him-it’s a no brainer honestly. 

I agree on the no-brain part:

Paying Adams his purported demands of “well over $20MM” ($22-23MM?) now and 

Bypassing whatever trade value he has for that privilege and

Realizing there is no monetary benefit for getting him locked up early — the cost of waiting to lock him up in a year or two (or even three) will not significantly rise above his current, silly demand number and

Realizing the cap ceiling may drop by as much as 25% ($60MM) in 2021, plus possibly some 8-figure amount in 2022 if COVID is still a significant issue, and

While they’ve already got him locked in for $13MM over the upcoming 2 seasons combined, followed by 2 more franchise tag seasons that would average millions less than $20MM/year...

Yes I agree that extending him now, at anywhere near his ~$22MM-ish demands = a display of no brains. ;) 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

39 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

You don't pay a player 20 million dollars per year, when it's very clear that he isn't worth that, because the last GM was stupid enough to spend money like it didn't matter on positions of little importance.

"What else are they going to do with the cap space?".  What an absolutely weak, attrocious, and ridiculous counter argument.  Sperm's right.  The only way "no brainer" fits into this equation is you'd have to have no brain to want to pay a SS 20 million dollars per year simply because your thought process is "who are they going to pay?".  

Lastly, since when is paying a guy 6.4 million dollars more per year than the next highest paid player at his position considered a "bargain".  Since when is paying one player 50% of what 3 PLAYERS are making considered a "bargain".  What type of friggin' bizarro land is this?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t know why it’s so hard for so many Jet fans to accept we have a good player on our team.

It’s like they would prefer we don’t have anyone good so they can be miserable.

Fidelio, I have some news. We have a good player *and* we’re miserable *and* ???BONUS???, that good player is miserable, too!

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Just a quick reminder to everyone, 100% of Jamal Adams' career interceptions came in garbage time of games, when the opponents brought in their backup QBs for mop-up duty.

Carry on.

"AHEM, I made a big play!"

_J. Adams

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

the same ESPN who recently wrote an article saying Darnold was not good? So do we believe them now?

Does anyone here read?  ESPN polled NFL executives and put together a list based on the average vote.  All they did was math, this isnt an ESPN writer's opinion.

NFL executives believe Adams is a top 3 safety in the league, and the average vote happened to turn out to have him as #1 overall.  Thats how the actual NFL values him, but sure - lets trade him for Michael Gallup and a 3rd round pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's insane that people don't want the Jets to repeat the same mistakes of the past. I don't even think they're fans of the team. 

I can name players who got paid and afterwards there wasn't a drop-off in their hustle or play.  Nothing about Adams, the way he plays says that once he gets paid he'll become a do.

But hey, 2 players dogged it, never, ever pay anyone again.  Lets become the Bengals