Jamal Adams ranked #1 in ESPNs top 10 Safteys

People really need to get their heads out of their collective butts.

Let's look at some facts:

1. The Jets not paying Adams NOW is not the same at all as not paying him

2. Very very few 1st round players even with exceptional performance get paid in year 3. It is not common at all

3. The salary cap next year will be at best flat and possible significantly lower so "paying" Adams is much more risky

4. Sometimes both sides of an argument can be CORRECT. Adams is an ELITE safety and SS is one of the least impactful positions in football are both correct. Both are true.

5. The Jets are never ever ever going to pay Jamal 1/3 more than the current highest paid safety. Will not happen. EVER

6. The Jets will likely offer him a contract/salary maybe next year to be highest paid safety but it will be safety money not best defensive player money

7. The Jets own Adams for 3 years and he has close to zero leverage with the new CBA

8. Neither side will sway the other 1 cunny hair

Stop all the arguing. Both sides are correct. Adams is not getting paid this year, he is an elite player

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People really need to get their heads out of their collective butts.

Let's look at some facts:

1. The Jets not paying Adams NOW is not the same at all as not paying him

2. Very very few 1st round players even with exceptional performance get paid in year 3. It is not common at all

3. The salary cap next year will be at best flat and possible significantly lower so "paying" Adams is much more risky

4. Sometimes both sides of an argument can be CORRECT. Adams is an ELITE safety and SS is one of the least impactful positions in football are both correct. Both are true.

5. The Jets are never ever ever going to pay Jamal 1/3 more than the current highest paid safety. Will not happen. EVER

6. The Jets will likely offer him a contract/salary maybe next year to be highest paid safety but it will be safety money not best defensive player money

7. The Jets own Adams for 3 years and he has close to zero leverage with the new CBA

8. Neither side will sway the other 1 cunny hair

Stop all the arguing. Both sides are correct. Adams is not getting paid this year, he is an elite player

The bolded is completely correct (not just about Adams but about most things these days - 2 sides of an argument can both have truth to it).

As far as price, I agree with the earlier post that the roster management stuff is overblown.  Who exactly are we paying on this team that should preclude us from signing an all-pro player, regardless of position?  We dont have an elite LT, edge or QB making elite money at their position.  We have mosley who is here for 2-3 years, Bell who could be off the books in 2021, and not a single other player who makes good money on a long term, player friendly deal.

We can afford a good player, regardless of position and since Bell is only 28, if he has a good season, we can keep him with Sam for another year while we groom another young RB to pair with Perine, and then use that cap space to (hopefully) help offset a huge raise for Sam

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Why would we renegotiate with Mims after 2 seasons or Quinnen after 3?  isn't Jamal looking for a new deal  after 3 part of what is setting so many people off here?  I think both are likely to happen in 2023.  By then any contract we do with Jamal will be 3 years in and probably open to redoing or cutting.

I believe this is the new norm, talented guys in their 2nd or 3rd season making noise and wanting the big money prematurely.

So in that context if we're going to get strapped to a player, I'd rather it be the DL or the WR.  Maybe Becton if he beasts.  Spend that money on important positions.  S just isn't it unfortunately.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I believe this is the new norm, talented guys in their 2nd or 3rd season making noise and wanting the big money prematurely.

So in that context if we're going to get strapped to a player, I'd rather it be the DL or the WR.  Maybe Becton if he beasts.  Spend that money on important positions.  S just isn't it unfortunately.

SAR I

You can't renegotiate a contract until after you have played three seasons per the CBA. 

On 7/17/2020 at 7:03 PM, GreekJet said:

3115373.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

1. Jamal Adams, New York Jets

This wasn't all that close for some.

"He's the second-best defensive player in football," said an NFC exec, placing Adams behind Aaron Donald in the pantheon.

But Adams didn't dominate the voting in all sectors, with Vikings safety Harrison Smith pushing him for No. 1 until Adams pulled away over the final few votes.

pay him!

Unfortunately Covid-19 has infiltrated ESPN HQ. 

On 7/17/2020 at 7:32 PM, FidelioJet said:

I don’t know why it’s so hard for so many Jet fans to accept we have a good player on our team.

It’s like they would prefer we don’t have anyone good so they can be miserable.

You tell em FidelioJet. Many of us here know Sam is da man. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, GreekJet said:

Also if the Jets don’t pay Jamal who do they pay?

The next Trumaine Johnson? Landon Collins?

The Jets should focus on accumulating talent not cap space. 

Duh. That’s why JD is not going to cripple his cap space by signing a box safety to a 5 year 80-100 M contract. By signing Adams to his desired demands, it would affect numerous, more vital positions like edge, OL, WR. It’s all about the Benjis.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

That's a wide spectrum right there. Fitzgerald the studious choir boy and a psycho. I'd think 99. 9% of the NFL carry themselves between those two.

Yes ..exactly my point.

I wouldn't really call Fitzgerald a studious choirboy though. To me it's more being professional. The guy carried himself the way you're supposed to. He understood how lucky and special he was and treated it as such.

Brown showing up in a hot air balloon with burning feet shows no respect for anyone at all around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:21 PM, New York Mick said:

That’s a bit of a stretch. You’re comparing a punter to a DB. 
The current going rate for top safeties is $14M a season. If Adams gets $15/16 a season that’s about right for the market. 

Who says he’s a ‘top’ safety, ESPN ?He doesn’t create TO’s like Jackson, Smith, Hyde, James, Honey Badger. All he does is makes tackles off the LOS cause he’s ALWAYS in the box. 3 DL, 4 LB’s and he gets to clean up while compromising our pass defense. I wouldn’t pay him jack. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Who says he’s a ‘top’ safety, ESPN ?He doesn’t create TO’s like Jackson, Smith, Hyde, James, Honey Badger. All he does is makes tackles off the LOS cause he’s ALWAYS in the box. 3 DL, 4 LB’s and he gets to clean up while compromising our pass defense. I wouldn’t pay him jack. 

Everyone outside of a handful of jet fans. 

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

ESPN didnt rate anyone or say he was the top safety.  30 NFL GMs did.

Apparently none are Jets fans so they dont hate Jamal and think hes like the 10th best S

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

ESPN didnt rate anyone or say he was the top safety.  30 NFL GMs did.

Apparently none are Jets fans so they dont hate Jamal and think hes like the 10th best S

If they really thought he was the best safety, they’d have traded for him by now.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they really thought he was the best safety, they’d have traded for him by now.

Or they subscribe to the widely held belief that safeties don't carry much value.  If Patrick Mahomes wanted out of KC, teams would be lining up to give up picks to get him.  Same goes for Aaron Donald.  Same goes for whoever the best CB is, or whoever the best LT is.  Jamal, whether he's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th best safety doesn't matter.  What matters is that up to now, nobody has been willing to give up whatever it is the Jets are asking for in trade.  This may have come as a shock to Jamal who almost certainly expected teams to give up whatever it took to get his services.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Or they subscribe to the widely held belief that safeties don't carry much value.  If Patrick Mahomes wanted out of KC, teams would be lining up to give up picks to get him.  Same goes for Aaron Donald.  Same goes for whoever the best CB is, or whoever the best LT is.  Jamal, whether he's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th best safety doesn't matter.  What matters is that up to now, nobody has been willing to give up whatever it is the Jets are asking for in trade.  This may have come as a shock to Jamal who almost certainly expected teams to give up whatever it took to get his services.

100% Also worth noting that the one recorded trade discussion we saw involved Jerry Jones not willing to part with a (projected at the time) first round pick in the twenties and a third rounder, and that was during a realistic Super Bowl run for the Cowboys. And you know what? Jones was right because he ended up with CeeDee Lamb and Haha Clinton Dix, who will give him the same production as Jamal for a quarter of the cost. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Lol, right? What's the second best defensive player in the game worth in a trade? I'm sure Joe Douglas will pick up the phone to see what you have to offer. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Right.

Not giving up assets in a deal, not being able to fit a player under your cap, means you dont think hes the best.

Kind of like like with Ferraris.  If I really thought they were the best, I would have two in my driveway today.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Right.

Not giving up assets in a deal, not being able to fit a player under your cap, means you dont think hes the best.

Kind of like like with Ferraris.  If I really thought they were the best, I would have two in my driveway today.

GMs: Jamal is the best safety!

Also GMs: He’s not worth a first rounder at this point and I’m not paying him either. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

GMs: Jamal is the best safety!

Also GMs: He’s not worth a first rounder at this point and I’m not paying him either. 

1.  You think that all JD is asking for is a 1st?  

2.  Not wanting to give up multiple picks or an all pro player means Jamal isnt as good as everyone says he is?  

3.  Why did they lie and rank him higher than they actually thought he should be ranked?

4.  Why cant any of you in the anti Jamal crowd just say you want the picks or dont want him instead of trying to prove the whole world doesnt understand how good he is.  Not his coaches, not his FO, not the majority of fans, not opponents fans, not NFL players, not ex NFL players, not sports writers, not NFL  GMs.   Only a handful of Jets fans do?  Because just wanting him gone would be a smarter argument given the fact of the matter

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

4.  Why cant any of you in the anti Jamal crowd just say you want the picks or dont want him instead of trying to prove the whole world doesnt understand how good he is.  

The evidence leads to the conclusion that Jamal is a good safety and that’s not worth a whole lot on the open market. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The evidence leads to the conclusion that Jamal is a good safety and that’s not worth a whole lot on the open market. 

There isnt a shred of evidence that says because you cant afford something, or arent willing to buy something is isnt really good.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lol, right? What's the second best defensive player in the game worth in a trade? I'm sure Joe Douglas will pick up the phone to see what you have to offer. 

By all means, let this NFC executive step up and hand over 2 1st rounders for this great player, today.  Don't think it will happens because talk is cheap and plentiful. There are a lot of dumb people working for NFL teams,  and it's also possible said NFC executive is entirely imaginary.ANYONE working for an NFL team in 2020 who values ANY safety that high is  a MORON. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There isnt a shred of evidence that says because you cant afford something, or arent willing to buy something is isnt   really good.  

Literally every team has the available resources to “buy” Jamal Adams, especially when you consider the fact that he marked himself down by not requiring the re-up this offseason to facilitate a trade. Any team could buy the “best safety in the game” for a couple of draft picks and ~$5 million bucks.