Jamal expected to report to camp

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Of course he is. He loves playing football and being in the spotlight he just wants to get paid as much as he can as fast as he can. Every play could be his last. 
You can’t blame players for acting the way he is when it gets them what they want sometimes. Blame the owners, GMs and coaches for giving in. 

True he really has no choice. What’s he gonna do holdout for the next 3 years?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

True he really has no choice. What’s he gonna do holdout for the next 3 years?

Serious question.

Do you really think that’s Adams’ only option? 

The worst case scenario for him is they tag him, and by then he’ll be getting about 15 per anyway...

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Serious question.

Do you really think that’s Adams’ only option? 

The worst case scenario for him is they tag him, and by then he’ll be getting 15 per anyway...

What other option does he have besides holding out? He either plays or doesn’t 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

What other option does he have besides holding out? He either plays or doesn’t 

If he wanted to, he could make things so miserable for the team he forces their hand to either suspend or trade him.

The suspension probably wouldn’t hold up, and he’ll end up getting his way, the same way the other athletes in a similar position always seem to.

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

If he wanted to, he could make things so miserable for the team he forces their hand to either suspend or trade him.

The suspension probably wouldn’t hold up, and he’ll end up getting his way, the same way the other athletes in a similar position always seem to.

What? So you think his other option is to force the Jets to suspend him? How would that benefit him exactly, maybe I’m missing something

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

What? So you think his other option is to force the Jets to suspend him? How would that benefit him exactly, maybe I’m missing something

He wants out of here, no?

Unless they pay him, what’s his incentive to tow the company line? Other teams already know how good he is, know how unhappy he is here, I don’t see them holding it against him for trying to shoot his way out of town...

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Trolly McTrollface said:

He wants out of here, no?

Unless they pay him, what’s his incentive to tow the company line? Other teams already know how good he is, know how unhappy he is here, I don’t see them holding it against him for trying to shoot his way out of town...

So why not just holdout then. Either way he won’t be getting paid. Looks like he’s reporting to camp and maybe putting this drama behind him for the time being.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So why not just holdout then. Either way he won’t be getting paid. Looks like he’s reporting to camp and maybe putting this drama behind him for the time being.

Because once he reports to camp, he gets almost his entire 2020 salary, just for showing up. The only money he’s owed after that is about $850,000 for the entire year. If he doesn’t report, he’s out millions.

Wouldnt you show up for that much (about 7 mil I think) money? And once you got it, how much would you care?

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh so he is going to report!  Thank god!  We are so lucky to have a leader like him!  Get out the rose petals and palm leaves!

He can ask for a raise in 2023.  Contract, contract, tag. 

Established veterans get paid a kings ransom; young players work on the cheap.  That's how the CBA is set up.  Those are the rules that benefit the players and the owners.  Getting paid early isn't part of the plan.  Especially when one behaves like a child in public and tries to shame the organization and its fans.  "Give me a lollipop dad, or I'm going to live with Uncle Joey".

F-U, Jamal.  $3.5M (salary)+ $2.8M (training camp reporting bonus) will have to suffice.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

If he goes out of his way to earn a suspension, the team will mark it as "conduct detrimental to the team". 

That would absolutely hold up.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It would almost be better if he showed up 10 days before opening Sunday to avoid the distraction early in camp

Jamal gets a $2.8M bonus on Day 5 of training camp so look for the grumbling and the holdout on Day 6.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Because once he reports to camp, he gets almost his entire 2020 salary, just for showing up. The only money he’s owed after that is about $850,000 for the entire year. If he doesn’t report, he’s out millions.

Wouldnt you show up for that much (about 7 mil I think) money? And once you got it, how much would you care?

Where did you hear Adams gets a big bonus just for reporting to camp?

That $7MM is the cap number; but he got paid about half of it in 2017 and the other half is paid in 2020:

• The $3.6MM is the amortized amount of his $14MM signing bonus paid in 2017; it’s not new 2020 money.
  • He got his $2.8MM roster bonus way back on or about March 22, 2020.
  • That leaves just $850K in base salary left this year (which he’s already started receiving).

According to the new CBA the Jets have already started paying $25K/week installments on that $850K. Game checks under the new CBA are paid over 34* weeks not just on the 16 game days over the 17-week season. $850K / 34 weeks = $25K/week. So calculate what date is 17 weeks prior to week 1, and that’s when the base salary payments started. (*That 34 weeks will change to 36 weeks when the 17-game seasons begin).

If Adams fails to show up he will be fined $40K/day (and I’m pretty sure he can’t merely just show up and then do nothing, nor would anyone expect him to do so). Once a player holds out for 5+ days he must pay it; the team can no longer agree to tear up the fine as a term of an extension. Therefore Adams is not holding out to accrue $280,000/week in must-pay-it fines.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, MykePM said:

Here comes the “hamstring injury”.

The Jets still wouldn't have to do anything with him.  He could either sit on the bench with the longest hamstring injury in the history of league and watch his value plummet as the Jets move Maye to the box/SS and play Ashtyn Davis at FS, not skipping a beat, or he can play and hope that some team is stupid enough to pay a King's Ransom for him in a trade + give him a lucrative contract right away.

This isn't like Jalen Ramsey, who plays a premium position and who the Jaguars never should have traded.  Jamal isn't going to bring in a haul like that and Douglas doesn't strike me as a pushover who will cave to a player and their demands.  If he pulls a Ramsey, he will rot away for however long he is willing to sit and fake an injury.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Wouldn't he lose money from holing out then? I guess he could always fake an injury or something like that.

Yes he most certainly would lose a bunch from holding out.

I don’t think guys can fake injuries so easily anymore. Maybe they can fake something to get off the field in a game, or even a given practice, but not for an extended period of time to get out of weeks of preseason with doctors and MRIs able to show it’s bull****.

Plus he already got that $2.8MM in March so I don’t know what training camp bonus some of these guys are talking about. Maybe there’s another bonus I’m not aware of, but I don’t see anywhere listing two $2.8MM bonuses in 2020.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes he most certainly would lose a bunch from holding out.

I don’t think guys can fake injuries so easily anymore. Maybe they can fake something to get off the field in a game, or even a given practice, but not for an extended period of time to get out of weeks of preseason with doctors and MRIs able to show it’s bull****.

Plus he already got that $2.8MM in March so I don’t know what training camp bonus some of these guys are talking about. Maybe there’s another bonus I’m not aware of, but I don’t see anywhere listing two $2.8MM bonuses in 2020.

I'd be interested to see how something like this would hold up in court if it got to that point.  Doc says a player can go and player insists he's in too much pain. 

I've seen several cases of patients complaining of symptoms that show no root cause through physical exam/testing but the doc will still sometimes provide them with documentation for their supervisors to say they can't do x, y, or z.  Some docs don't want to say "yeah, he's fine" and then have the injury get worse and find out something was missed, putting him at risk of getting in hot water with a medical board.  As one doc I worked for always used to say "disease doens't read the textbooks" as in, not every condition presents how you would expect it to.

Imagine a guy saying his knee hurts, diagnostics miss something and he goes out and blows out the same knee?  That'd could be your job.

All of that being said, I think Jamal shows up and plays but acts passive aggressive with the CS through the media.  Similar to Pete Kendall thanking Mangini through the media for "letting me stay with the varsity" after they'd put him in the rookie dorms because he'd asked for a pay raise (which he did deserve).

I don’t think that would do much to help his market value.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He can ask for a raise in 2023.  Contract, contract, tag. 
Established veterans get paid a kings ransom; young players work on the cheap.  That's how the CBA is set up.  Those are the rules that benefit the players and the owners.  Getting paid early isn't part of the plan.  Especially when one behaves like a child in public and tries to shame the organization and its fans.  "Give me a lollipop dad, or I'm going to live with Uncle Joey".
F-U, Jamal.  $3.5M (salary)+ $2.8M (training camp reporting bonus) will have to suffice.
SAR I

I guess he’s just going to have to try to scrape by on that, poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd be interested to see how something like this would hold up in court if it got to that point.  Doc says a player can go and player insists he's in too much pain. 

I've seen several cases of patients complaining of symptoms that show no root cause through physical exam/testing but the doc will still sometimes provide them with documentation for their supervisors to say they can't do x, y, or z.  Some docs don't want to say "yeah, he's fine" and then have the injury get worse and find out something was missed, putting him at risk of getting in hot water with a medical board.  As one doc I worked for always used to say "disease doens't read the textbooks" as in, not every condition presents how you would expect it to.

Imagine a guy saying his knee hurts, diagnostics miss something and he goes out and blows out the same knee?  That'd could be your job.

All of that being said, I think Jamal shows up and plays but acts passive aggressive with the CS through the media.  Similar to Pete Kendall thanking Mangini through the media for "letting me stay with the varsity" after they'd put him in the rookie dorms because he'd asked for a pay raise (which he did deserve).

Teams deem a player medically cleared to play with regularity. If he’s in an obvious contract dispute and is saying his knee is in such pain he can’t participate, in the face of repeated, perfectly clean scans, I don’t think it’d take much. But it wouldn’t happen because JA’s goal is to make more $ whether it’s from the Jets or his next team and faking an injury is just terrible marketing. Pure holdout, sure teams don’t read into that; but faking injuries? No one wants you; not at 35% higher than the 2nd-highest $ guy.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Teams deem a player medically cleared to play with regularity. If he’s in an obvious contract dispute and is saying his knee is in such pain he can’t participate, in the face of repeated, perfectly clean scans, I don’t think it’d take much. But it wouldn’t happen because JA’s goal is to make more $ whether it’s from the Jets or his next team and faking an injury is just terrible marketing. Pure holdout, sure teams don’t read into that; but faking injuries? No one wants you; not at 35% higher than the 2nd-highest $ guy.

All valid points, but these are uncharted waters.  New CBA means bigger fines that teams can't always give back if they want to.  That means harsher penalties for holding out, which means incentive to try to get away with faking an injury.  This was why I was thinking out loud about how it might play out of a player took a team to court.  "I say I can't play, an 'independent' doctor says I can't play and you're trying to force me to".

It's a leap for sure, but as I said, was just thinking out loud and wouldn't put faking an injury past a player trying to shoot his way out of town with no leverage.  No just Jamal, but any guy in his situation.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Exactly.  The immensely more talented and valuable 2010 Revis tried to pull the fake injury move for just a day during mini-camp, and was still widely criticized for it, to the point he publicly admitted to it and apologized, before of course simply holding out when camp came around.  The idea Adams would get away with this move, and long term throughout camp and the season no less, is really without any basis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

All valid points, but these are uncharted waters.  New CBA means bigger fines that teams can't always give back if they want to.  That means harsher penalties for holding out, which means incentive to try to get away with faking an injury.  This was why I was thinking out loud about how it might play out of a player took a team to court.  "I say I can't play, an 'independent' doctor says I can't play and you're trying to force me to".

It's a leap for sure, but as I said, was just thinking out loud and wouldn't put faking an injury past a player trying to shoot his way out of town with no leverage.  No just Jamal, but any guy in his situation.

If Adams took it to court his NFL career would essentially be over.  The league wouldn't allow any player to get away with something like that, and it would undoubtedly get dragged on for a very long time.  The NFLPA's history also shows that while they would not come out against him, they would also simply be silent on the matter and not support him if he were believed to be faking an injury.  There's no evidence anywhere to suggest such a move would work out in his favor.

Just look at last year's situation with Osmele.  He tried to use a real, but long pre-existing injury he had always played with, as an excuse for a refusal to play.  The Jets cut him for it, and as much as the local media tried to make a big deal out of it, no one came out to support him and his career is now over.  Even if Adams' age and talent level would keep it from getting that bad, there's no reason to believe it would net a positive result.

• Upvote 1