Maher and Mann

AFJF

56 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Combined, these two probably have the strongest legs of any K/P duo in the NFL.  If Boyer can get them right, it might be the most fun we've ever had watching special teams.  Should be able to flip the field and have a guy who can consistently hit from 60 yards out.  Problem is, can he hit from inside 50?

In today's NFL, this statement simply cannot happen. We will never relive the prime Westhoff days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not even sure Maher will be the guy.

Hes going up against Ficken for the job.

Hes the guy.  Ficken scares me not just on FGs but extra points, Maher has missed over the last two seasons.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Maher, Mann, and Hennessy have actually been working out together in the off-season.  Maher was drilling it from 65+.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd feel extra confident about it, considering our long snapper is Thomas Hennessy.

Quite a unit we have here

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mann has done some placekicking too.  This kid has always had it.

Take a look at some video from 2015 just as he was committing to Texas A&M.  You can just tell he's a complete natural.

He was about 17 or 18 years old here.

mood erection GIF

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You know your team sucks when the happiest part of the offseason is the kickers and long snapper

Let's take it a step further.  Our two very best players might just very well be a Punter and a Strong Safety.

I'm not saying it would be better if it was our QB and a DE.....but yeah....I kinda am.

Short video.  Two punts in college vs. Clemson.

Field flipper!

And for people who have a hard time seeing the value in a Punter being Drafted, I think of it this way.  Would you rather force your opponent to drive 50 yards or 70 yards in order to score against you?  Would you rather make them need to convert 4 first downs or 5 first downs in order to get into field goal range?  Punting is the ultimate "hidden yardage" in the game of football that Bill Parcells used to talk about.  It doesn't show up predominately in statistics.  Everyone looks at whether the QB threw for 300 yards, did your RB rush for 100 yards, etc.  But netting an extra 10 or 15 yards in field position forces your opponent to complete that one extra 1st down or those two extra passes....and that gives your Defense more opportunities to make a stop, sack the QB or intercept a pass.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

yeah and Ficken replaced Kaare Vedvik or whoever

the Jets sorted out the Punter position 

the PK position is still a huge ??? 

Agreed.

I'm not sold one Maher as much as I dont like Ficken as our PK 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

yeah and Ficken replaced Kaare Vedvik or whoever

the Jets sorted out the Punter position 

the PK position is still a huge ??? 

What about having Mann do kickoffs and attempting those long 55+ yard kicks as time is expiring, while signing a very accurate but shorter yardage kicker?  Give me a guy who is money from inside 45 and on XPs....and I'll roll the dice on the longer FGs with our guy with the big leg.

It's the approach you'd take if you had tag-team golf.  Get me the guy who kills it off the tee and practically hits the green on a 350 yard hole, and pair him with a guy who has a great short game and drains every putt.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What about having Mann do kickoffs and attempting those long 55+ yard kicks as time is expiring, while signing a very accurate but shorter yardage kicker? 

The proof that Mann can handle those long 55+ yard kicks better than even Ficken is what a Youtube video on him kicking as a HS player in a practice?  

Over a guy who has made kicks in the NFL?  

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The proof that Mann can handle those long 55+ yard kicks better than even Ficken is what a Youtube video on him kicking as a HS player in a practice?  

Over a guy who has made kicks in the NFL?  

Nope.  The proof of whether Mann can handle those long 55+ yard kicks better than a veteran NFL kicker will be determined in training camp.  

If you can make an argument that Ficken has made NFL kicks (true) then I can say Mann has never missed an NFL kick (also true).  A video doesn't tell us anything.  But, Brant Boyer will tell us everything. ;) 

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Nope.  The proof of whether Mann can handle those long 55+ yard kicks better than a veteran NFL kicker will be determined in training camp.  

If you can make an argument that Ficken has made NFL kicks (true) then I can say Mann has never missed an NFL kick (also true).  A video doesn't tell us anything.  But, Brant Boyer will tell us everything. ;) 

Problem with this is there are only two games to prove this.  Kicking on a practice field without the 11 players lined up trying their best to intimidate you and coming within inches of blocking those kicks isnt the same thing.  If Maher is making kicks in practice its his job.  Even at his worst a year ago hes a better choice than Ficken.  Especially given hes missed one XTRA Pt in the last two seasons.  

\I've never missed a NFL kick (true).  You, I think, have never missed an NFL kick (true?).  We arent kicking for anyone this or any year (VERY true) ?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem with this is there are only two games to prove this.  Kicking on a practice field without the 11 players lined up trying their best to intimidate you and coming within inches of blocking those kicks isnt the same thing.  If Maher is making kicks in practice its his job.  Even at his worst a year ago hes a better choice than Ficken.  Especially given hes missed one XTRA Pt in the last two seasons.  

\I've never missed a NFL kick (true).  You, I think, have never missed an NFL kick (true?).  We arent kicking for anyone this or any year (VERY true) ?

I pulled a hammy on the approach to the ball.  Never truly got my shot! :P

charlie brown football pull GIF

@Charlie Brown 

• Haha 2