League offers union zero preseason games

AFJF

Could be tough on the UDFA and rooks who would have seen a ton of reps vs a variety of players.  Now they'll face the same teammates for a month.

Have to imagine restriction on hitting in practice will be sereiously altered.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Could be tough on the UDFA and rooks who would have seen a ton of reps vs a variety of players.  Now they'll face the same teammates for a month.

Have to imagine restriction on hitting in practice will be sereiously altered.

Going to be tough to pick the right players to remain on rosters with only real games starting supposedly in Spet. There likely will be a lot of players coming and going in that month since it is not ideal to fully evaluate draft picks, FAs, UDFAs, etc. without any preseason games.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Where in the CBA does it say the union has a right to renegotiate certain things based on a pandemic?  I have to work per my CBA whether I like it, or not.

Granted I think this is/was a bit of a play by the high profile players to eliminate things they never liked doing anways....a show of good faith by the league here isnt a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

Lots of concerns with this.

I don't think any of us are for 4 games.  But I think most of us see value in having at least one single preseason game before we potentially send a rookie out there to protect Sam Darnold's blind side.

Also, unless they dramatically expand the roster including the PS I think we can say goodbye to every valuable UDFA that Joe Douglas worked his tail off to sign.  Can we really keep a guy like Lawrence Cager over a Vyncint Smith without seeing some game time?  What about Bryce Huff over a Bashem, Luvu or Langi?

Do we risk putting QB James Morgan on the PS where he could be grabbed by another team for their QB3 or do we just cut Fales and White today since there's a 99.999% chance that Darnold, Flacco and Morgan are etched in stone?

This is going to be really, really tough on coaches and personnel guys....but I feel even more for rookies and UDFA's.  Imagine getting drafted or signed as a UDFA by a NFL team and never, ever once getting to put on the uniform in any sort of game before getting cut.  Kinda sucks.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think any of us are for 4 games.  But I think most of us see value in having at least one single preseason game before we potentially send a rookie out there to protect Sam Darnold's blind side.

Also, unless they dramatically expand the roster including the PS I think we can say goodbye to every valuable UDFA that Joe Douglas worked his tail off to sign.  Can we really keep a guy like Lawrence Cager over a Vyncint Smith without seeing some game time?  What about Bryce Huff over a Bashem, Luvu or Langi?

Do we risk putting QB James Morgan on the PS where he could be grabbed by another team for their QB3 or do we just cut Fales and White today since there's a 99.999% chance that Darnold, Flacco and Morgan are etched in stone?

This is going to be really, really tough on coaches and personnel guys....but I feel even more for rookies and UDFA's.  Imagine getting drafted or signed as a UDFA by a NFL team and never, ever once getting to put on the uniform in any sort of game before getting cut.  Kinda sucks.

Coaches will really need to get a good look at UDFAs and other fringe guys in practice.  I don't think UDFAs will get cut outright just because they couldn't perform in a preseason game.  

It certainly doesn't help but it's not the only route to a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Coaches will really need to get a good look at UDFAs and other fringe guys in practice.  I don't think UDFAs will get cut outright just because they couldn't perform in a preseason game.  

It certainly doesn't help but it's not the only route to a roster spot.

I agree, but for some guys that one opportunity makes a big difference.

"Hey Chevette!!!  CHEVETTE!!!  Get out there!!"

575d9680-quote-card-chrebet.thumb.jpg.7b487bb9e03d8839a09049f0ad01d3e3.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Where in the CBA does it say the union has a right to renegotiate certain things based on a pandemic?  I have to work per my CBA whether I like it, or not.

The part that says the league can only take the economic downturn out of the next year's cap, and the fact that a huge chunk of teams wouldn't be able to be cap compliant. As a practical matter, they need to come to some agreement on how they are going to handle the changed economics as a result of Coronavirus, and that means the league has to give something to the players. 

• Upvote 1

This is a major concession. Once they play a single game, all player salaries are guaranteed against the season being shut down. The preseason game(s) would've given the owners a chance to shut things down before the regular season started. 

51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think you're overthinking this a bit. They've already done so much homework on these guys that I'm sure they have an idea of what they might bring to the team. Then factor in that NFL teams have a ridiculous amount of coaches (they have multiple coaches for each positional group) who are watching these players every single day, getting to know them personally, and seeing how they grasp the playbook and I can see how preseason is a bit meaningless.

The Jets didn't need a Hackenberg or Polite to suit up for a preseason game to know they were garbage players. Will a player here or there fall through the cracks...sure, but they do anyway even playing four preseason games.

Then you can also factor in how many players shine in preseason that eventually get cut. The coaches know who they want even without the games. 

• Upvote 3

How are rookies supposed to he able to show what they can do?

Will be much harder to fill out the bottom half of the roster.  If a team released a player, no one would have any tape on him to see what he cam or cant do.

I could also see a huge number of muscle pulls the first few weeks of the season as player adjust to getting  hit and actually playing.

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

How are rookies supposed to he able to show what they can do?

Will be much harder to fill out the bottom half of the roster.  If a team released a player, no one would have any tape on him to see what he cam or cant do.

It's no different when they cut these bottom of the roster players and bring someone else in that was in another teams camp and got the ax on the final cut.

They're essentially letting a guy go based on one of their scouts scouting report, not what they did in preseason games. 

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think we are going to be in for some sh!!t football if there are no preseason games (at least in the beginning of the year). 

We already have been when they did away with two a days and all but limited full contact two CBA's ago. It's always the veterans having their input into the CBA while completely disregarding what is good for the younger guys.....that's never going to change.

• Upvote 2

Pre-season or not, I’m stoked there’s going to be a season. 

Having no exhibition games means a potentially richer free agent pool —since the Victor Cruzes and Raheem Mosterts won’t be able to show off their goods, they’ll just be sitting there, waiting for a phone call. 

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

hopefully forever.

really?  It's not like the season is going to start 4-5 weeks earlier. We just get less football.  Sounds like a big bummer to me. 

I get it this year but I wouldn't want to see them gone forever. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Going to be tough to pick the right players to remain on rosters with only real games starting supposedly in Spet. There likely will be a lot of players coming and going in that month since it is not ideal to fully evaluate draft picks, FAs, UDFAs, etc. without any preseason games.

the solution is expanded rosters for the 2020 season.  Keep the rookies along with some UDFAs.  If there are numbers of players who get sidelined from exposure, then it will come in handy having the cadets.  

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

really?  It's not like the season is going to start 4-5 weeks earlier. We just get less football.  Sounds like a big bummer to me. 

I get it this year but I wouldn't want to see them gone forever. 

preseason sucks nuts.

literally NO ONE wants it.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Morgan wouldn't last 30 seconds on the PS...

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Most likely the roster will be expanded like baseball did.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Now you know how @GREENBEAN feels being limited to JetNation video clips. The guy coulda been up there with the greats like, Warner Wolf!!! If he only had a legitimate shot.

dj khaled yes GIF by TikTok

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, southtown24th said:

preseason sucks nuts.

literally NO ONE wants it.

It can't be "literally NO ONE," if @GREENBEAN wants it. For the record, I enjoy preseason football, too. May not watch it as intently, but I especially enjoy seeing the younger, try-out guys getting their chances. 

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Everybody always complains about pre-season games but they are a
necessity and people are going to see that this year.  Front offices
and coaching staffs need to see their draft picks/UDFA's in live
situations for evaluation purposes.  In addition the team as a whole
need live reps to get ready for the season.  If you thought early
football has been a slopfest in previous years wait until September.
The amount of penalties, fumbles, missed tackles and dropped passes
are going to be ridiculous   

I've been saying all along that this virus hit the Jets at a bad time, trying to fix their OL, WR, and CB groups with bailing wire and duct tape Having the offseason rookie/mini camps would've been helpful. Losing the entire preseason just makes things that much harder. Hard to find those diamonds in the rough without the semi-live reps.