League offers union zero preseason games

AFJF

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

When do they get to the scaling back of salaries talk is now the question.

They're already discussing how to handle 2021 guaranteed money.  Not sure they'll say much about this season.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Lots of concerns with this.

I don't think any of us are for 4 games.  But I think most of us see value in having at least one single preseason game before we potentially send a rookie out there to protect Sam Darnold's blind side.

Also, unless they dramatically expand the roster including the PS I think we can say goodbye to every valuable UDFA that Joe Douglas worked his tail off to sign.  Can we really keep a guy like Lawrence Cager over a Vyncint Smith without seeing some game time?  What about Bryce Huff over a Bashem, Luvu or Langi?

Do we risk putting QB James Morgan on the PS where he could be grabbed by another team for their QB3 or do we just cut Fales and White today since there's a 99.999% chance that Darnold, Flacco and Morgan are etched in stone?

This is going to be really, really tough on coaches and personnel guys....but I feel even more for rookies and UDFA's.  Imagine getting drafted or signed as a UDFA by a NFL team and never, ever once getting to put on the uniform in any sort of game before getting cut.  Kinda sucks.

Another reason in a LONG list of reasons why the NFL needs a 'minor league.'

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, RobR said:

I think you're overthinking this a bit. They've already done so much homework on these guys that I'm sure they have an idea of what they might bring to the team. Then factor in that NFL teams have a ridiculous amount of coaches (they have multiple coaches for each positional group) who are watching these players every single day, getting to know them personally, and seeing how they grasp the playbook and I can see how preseason is a bit meaningless.

The Jets didn't need a Hackenberg or Polite to suit up for a preseason game to know they were garbage players. Will a player here or there fall through the cracks...sure, but they do anyway even playing four preseason games.

Then you can also factor in how many players shine in preseason that eventually get cut. The coaches know who they want even without the games. 

Thanks for talking me off the ledge. lol

The other comforting thing to remember is that every team will be enduring the same lack of preseason evaluation games that the Jets will.  Who knows, perhaps the fact that we seem to finally have a true talent evaluator at the helm in JD will help the Jets take advantage of situations where other teams' players fall thru the cracks?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

People put way too much importance on preseason games as part of roster evaluation.

What these guy do every day in camp is what matters most. And if preseason games are eliminated you'll just see the Jets hold intrasquad scrimmages with the Eagles and Giants.  Fans and players are winners w no preseason.

17 hours ago, freestater said:

Doesn't bode well for an o-line that needs time to gel. 

Also , I wonder how many early season hamstrings and groin strains we see . Face it  these guys are not going to be practicing hard against each other in scrimmages and with the already soft CBA in terms of practices - I fear lots of soft tissue injuries. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No preseason games and mostly conditioning for first 3 weeks?

This kind of makes sense since there weren’t any OTA’s and mini camps either.   My guess is that a lot of these guys are going to be puking on the sidelines for the first week of practice.  God only knows how out of shape and fat some of these guys are right now.   

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They've tried it before.  Multiple times.  NFL Europe was one attempt.  The AAF was the most recent attempt.  It folded immediately.

AAF would have been successful with franchises but it ran short of cash and took a loan from a predatory investor that just wanted the gambling IP. Sad. It had a chance.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Plus college provides a free minor league to the nfl

But you need a system where players have a chance to hone their skills for a few years who, if given the chance, can become quality NFL players.  You might not get starters, but you sure can build great depth.

As the league continues with even more ridiculous contracts being handed out to single players, it is going to be even more important in the future to have quality depth players at multiple positions to draw from.

If you can't get a league to work (which I think they could if they did it right, especially by putting 'farm' teams in locations where there is no NFL), you could expand the practice squads to have at least 11 players, if not that many on each side of the ball.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Am I the only one that thinks this makes zero sense? They should keep it at 90, expand the rosters, and do away with the stupid rule that certain players have to be deactivated before a game. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

Am I the only one that thinks this makes zero sense? They should keep it at 90, expand the rosters, and do away with the stupid rule that certain players have to be deactivated before a game. 

Apparently that is not final.  Still pending approval.

2 hours ago, RobR said:

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Apparently that is not final.  Still pending approval.

My guess is they want less bodies in camp, not more, because of COVID?

Seems stupid though.  They should be expanding camp sizes, not shrinking them.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, slats said:

For the record, I enjoy preseason football, too. May not watch it as intently, but I especially enjoy seeing the younger, try-out guys getting their chanc

This. I don't have any real desire to see the final score favor the Jets but I really enjoy seeing the new guys and the long shots get their chance to see the field. 

I still remember Atari Bigby getting a few picks in a preseason game against the Eagles a few days before we cut him. Wait... maybe preseason games aren't good after all. 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, southtown24th said:

preseason sucks nuts.

literally NO ONE wants it.

I could understand the casual fan feeling this way. But someone who spends time on JN talking about all of this stuff like we do?? This just might be football blasphemy man.  

On 7/21/2020 at 11:13 AM, y2k8 said:

People put way too much importance on preseason games as part of roster evaluation.

What these guy do every day in camp is what matters most. And if preseason games are eliminated you'll just see the Jets hold intrasquad scrimmages with the Eagles and Giants.  Fans and players are winners w no preseason.

NFL preseason is way too overlong and a scam.  The owners made it 4 games because they don’t have to revenue share the tickets and tv money

there is no realistic way to evaluate nfl players facing guys who are otherwise flipping burgers that’s why Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff looked amazing