If I Told You The Jets Were Going To Open 5-0 Would You Call Me Crazy?

SAR I

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Bills are the best of the 5 teams, by a lot. Could see 4-1.

Bills have no quarterback.  Doesn't matter if their 52 is better than our 52.  Our 1 is better than their 1 and that matters far more.

And look at their record in the McDermott era, they've beaten exactly 1 team with a winning record-  the Titans, twice.  And last year they wouldn't have been 10-6 if the Jets were healthy.  And the year before they were 6-10.  This Bills hype is silly. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I think its fairly crazy. Looking through, its not as crazy as I thought it would be though.

Bills- The Jets are probably the worse team, but I dont think its crazy the Jets win

49ers- Don't see the Jets winning this. I could easily see Bosa dismantle the OL. I think the defense can slow down Garrapolo, but I dont know how they'd do against that 49er D

Colts- Jets always seem to play them well. I would be disappointed if they lost.

Broncos- A very winnable game that would probably disappoint me if they lost.

Cardinals- Jets wouldnt be the favorite by any stretch, but I dont think a win here is all that farfetched.

Chargers- Rookie QB, could definitely see a win here.

Bills- Same as above. They'll probably split

Chiefs- Jets lose. 

Patriots- I have no clue. If Cam is good, NE is probably the favorite.

Dolphins- Usually play the Jets hard. Probably a worse team, but wouldnt be shocked if the Jets dropped one.

Dolphins- See above

Raiders- Always seem to play the Jets well, but the Jets have a shot since its at home

Seahawks- Road game in Seattle against a better team. This looks like a loss.

Rams- Road game against an OK team. If Goff is as bad as he looked last year, Jets can win. But I wouldnt be comfortable betting on it.

Browns- They're good, but I think the Jets could potentially win. Depends on what Baker is.

Patriots- See above.

I can see anywhere from 6 to 10 wins. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

A year that we have to watch from home would be the year that the Jets start out 5-0 and end up 14-2.  

Add in the average Jets fan potentially caring less and totally Jetsy

All depends.  If we are talking about games in which we actually end the game with more points than the opponent, I think 5-0 is a stretch.  However, if we are talking about games such as the opener against Buffalo last year where we may have fewer points than the other team, but an optmistic fan chooses to declare us a winner, maybe we have a shot.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, jcass10 said:

I think its fairly crazy. Looking through, its not as crazy as I thought it would be though.

I can see anywhere from 6 to 10 wins. 

Untitled.jpg

If you break the season into chunks, to make the playoffs the Jets need:

2-2 Open
6-2 Middle
2-2 Finish

But now we need to re-look at the schedule in terms of the virus, limited practice contact, no preseason, and travel restrictions and what's interesting about the Jets schedule is that we have 3 of our 4 West coast games coming to play us in the first few weeks of the season.  That's a definite advantage.  That Niners game is not impossible and the Broncos and Cardinals games just became easier.

Let's also look at teams with brand new quarterbacks and how there's going to be a learning curve with, again, limited practices and no preseason games.  The Jets have 6 games against teams with new quarterbacks new to their squads and we play 5 of them before Thanksgiving.

Translation:  We should be able to get off to a faster start than most pundits imagined.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

All depends.  If we are talking about games in which we actually end the game with more points than the opponent, I think 5-0 is a stretch.  However, if we are talking about games such as the opener against Buffalo last year where we may have fewer points than the other team, but an optmistic fan chooses to declare us a winner, maybe we have a shot

The Jets played well enough in Week 1 to beat the Bills.  If not for Darnold and Mosely, we had that game won, in fact.

In Week 17 the Bills were so scared of losing to the hot 5-2 Jets and further mind-screwing a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1995 that they rested their starters.

This Bills fear is irrational.  

SAR I

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

A 5-0 start is looking more likely. 

You've got the Bills, who we beat twice last year, and the Colts with a new and ancient QB in a new system with no preseason. 

Then you've got three West Coast teams coming East early in the season, and that travel and that lack of a preseason is a challenge.  For the 49ers that's a 10AM start and for the Broncos it's the Thursday night road curse.  For the Cards its a 10AM start and their second consecutive East coast trip and the Jets having 10 days rest coming off of TNF.

Boom.

SAR I

Comic relief is so essential in this crazy world.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Jets played well enough in Week 1 to beat the Bills.  If not for Darnold and Mosely, we had that game won, in fact.

In Week 17 the Bills were so scared of losing to the hot 5-2 Jets and further mind-screwing a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1995 that they rested their starters.

This Bills fear is irrational.  

SAR I

I have no fear of the Bills.  I think they are an 8 or 9 win team  They catch a couple of breaks (like they did last year) and they can win 10.  They are beatable.  But after 9 years without a playoff appearance, I am past the point of moral victories.  Either you win the game or you don't.

10 wins and playoffs this year.  No excuses.  No moral victories.

• Upvote 1

This will come down to 2 things necessary for a 5-0 start, #1- The defense dominates with Mosely back, Williamson back, Adams out to prove he's the best safety to ever play the game, the Big boys up front even better, Shep, Foley, Phillips progressing even more, QW in his 2nd year, and GW getting really aggressive with that group of CBs. I actually think our defense is going to be really tough. 

#2- SAM DARNOLD PROTECTS THE BALL! If Gase can drill into his head the Belichick principle of not turning the ball over this team can beat anyone. No TOs in Buffalo & we're in it to win it in the 4th quarter. Let Allen be the QB to make the dumb mistake forcing something. 

I think Garrapolo blows. He's the check down master & we have a top 5 front 7 because of our LBs & Adams versatility. Early start, no preseason, home game, why not us? 

We have the Colts number. Broncos? New offense vs Jet aggressive defense? Like our chances. Cards? I think our defense & GWs aggressive ways wreaks havoc on Cards Oline. 

5-0? Looks more doable than I thought, even though I won't be watching. 

• Upvote 1

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

A 5-0 start is looking more likely. 

You've got the Bills, who we beat twice last year, and the Colts with a new and ancient QB in a new system with no preseason. 

Then you've got three West Coast teams coming East early in the season, and that travel and that lack of a preseason is a challenge.  For the 49ers that's a 10AM start and for the Broncos it's the Thursday night road curse.  For the Cards its a 10AM start and their second consecutive East coast trip and the Jets having 10 days rest coming off of TNF.

Boom.

SAR I

In what alternate universe do you think the jets even have a possibility of meeting the 49ers this year???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

In what alternate universe do you think the jets even have a possibility of meeting the 49ers this year???

Up until this week I thought the NFL would become the most innovative league in the world when it came to covid mitigation.  So far, no good.  But I still have hope.

The NFL being an all-weather sport, it can start the season in December and end in May if need be.  I still believe the full season will be played.

SAR I

Up until this week I thought the NFL would become the most innovative league in the world when it came to covid mitigation.  So far, no good.  But I still have hope.
The NFL being an all-weather sport, it can start the season in December and end in May if need be.  I still believe the full season will be played.
SAR I
Agreed ..and good response to my failed attempt at a post I was trying to say in what alternate university do you think the 49ers would not beat the Jets not meet hahaha... Nice response though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:34 AM, SAR I said:

Bills have no quarterback.  Doesn't matter if their 52 is better than our 52.  Our 1 is better than their 1 and that matters far more.

And look at their record in the McDermott era, they've beaten exactly 1 team with a winning record-  the Titans, twice.  And last year they wouldn't have been 10-6 if the Jets were healthy.  And the year before they were 6-10.  This Bills hype is silly. 

SAR I

The Titans, Cowboys, and Steelers all had winning records when the Bills played them. And, of course, the Bills, and Jets were both 0-0 when the Bills beat the Jets in week one. And, the Bills would have been 11-5 if they had played their starters in wee 17. The Jets barely squeaked by playing the Bills third string.

As far as QBs go, I'll take 20TD/9INT over 19TD/13INT any season.

All that being said, I don't think the Jets should be taken lightly. Loved the Becton pick. They may even be one of this season's sleeper teams (assuming Darnold can stay healthy, lol). But, at the outset, the Bills are clearly better team with a superior defense.

• Upvote 1

I like our chances against the Bills, Colts and Denver.  Rivers looked like toast last year.   I think both AZ and SF are much better than we are and the game without fans will neutralize home field.  That could work both ways.    4 and 1 would be incredible.  3 and 2 would be a nice start.  I suspect the games early in the season are going to be a penalty fest.