If I Told You The Jets Were Going To Open 5-0 Would You Call Me Crazy?

SAR I

On 7/21/2020 at 10:45 AM, Bruce Harper said:

The Bills are not going to be good because their QB isn't good.  They peaked last year.

Suuure.

So they peaked before adding Stefon Diggs, dumping the fossil of Frank Gore in favor of Zack Moss, and came into the season with a QB who at that point only had 2 years of D1 starting experience at a low tier program and a rookie season with Zay Jones as his top receiver.  So in other words he was still developing. 

On 7/21/2020 at 11:02 AM, SAR I said:

The Jets played well enough in Week 1 to beat the Bills.  If not for Darnold and Mosely, we had that game won, in fact.

In Week 17 the Bills were so scared of losing to the hot 5-2 Jets and further mind-screwing a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1995 that they rested their starters.

This Bills fear is irrational.  

SAR I

Ha, I needed a laugh.  Thanks.

But sometimes you slip up and say something so stupidly crazy like that it just outs you as an obvious troll.  As if people don't know that playoff bound teams with nothing to gain rest their starters.  I love how the loss to the Bills doesn't count cuz reasons but barely topping 2nd/3rd stringers in week 17 still absolutely counts as a quality win to you.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, SAR I said:

Certainly, I would be disappointed if that happened.

And, remember, all those illnesses and all those injuries last year were not excuses; they were reasons.  And I believe that without those circumstances we would have been a 10-6 playoff team, the talk of the NFL.  So that's my personal starting point for this season.

SAR I

On 7/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, SAR I said:

Bills have no quarterback.  Doesn't matter if their 52 is better than our 52.  Our 1 is better than their 1 and that matters far more.

And look at their record in the McDermott era, they've beaten exactly 1 team with a winning record-  the Titans, twice.  And last year they wouldn't have been 10-6 if the Jets were healthy.  And the year before they were 6-10.  This Bills hype is silly. 

SAR I

Conveniently ignoring the reasons and circumstances of being a rebuild year with a raw rookie QB with only 2 years at a crap college program, a bottom tier O-line they hadn't revamped yet, and their top WR being Zay Freaking Jones who may not even make a roster this year.

This troll is the living embodiment of a book of logical fallacies. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

As if people don't know that playoff bound teams with nothing to gain rest their starters.  I love how the loss to the Bills doesn't count cuz reasons but barely topping 2nd/3rd stringers in week 17 still absolutely counts as a quality win to you.

SmIH.gif
SAR I

On 7/21/2020 at 12:57 AM, SAR I said:

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

A 5-0 start is looking more likely. 

You've got the Bills, who we beat twice last year, and the Colts with a new and ancient QB in a new system with no preseason. 

Then you've got three West Coast teams coming East early in the season, and that travel and that lack of a preseason is a challenge.  For the 49ers that's a 10AM start and for the Broncos it's the Thursday night road curse.  For the Cards its a 10AM start and their second consecutive East coast trip and the Jets having 10 days rest coming off of TNF.

Boom.

SAR I

Star Trek GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

didntknow.jpg

SAR I

Hmm. No, it's actually the inverse. You're the one that disappears from this board every season as soon as adversity hits and your inane "predictions" disintegrate from reality. You left for, what, 8 weeks last year after the "1-5 gets us to 10-6" insanity turned into a punchline? Yeah. 

I'd be THRILLED with a competent 8-8 this season (same bar I set for last year), but even without a pandemic and all the other insanity, I have low expectations of this team, if they even play. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hmm. No, it's actually the inverse. You're the one that disappears from this board every season as soon as adversity hits and your inane "predictions" disintegrate from reality. You left for, what, 8 weeks last year after the "1-5 gets us to 10-6" insanity turned into a punchline? Yeah. 

sarpost.jpg

This nonsense again?  

Print this out, Eeyore.  Hang it on your refrigerator. 

SAR I

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

You've got the Bills, who we beat twice last year, and the Colts with a new and ancient QB in a new system with no preseason. 

Then you've got three West Coast teams coming East early in the season, and that travel and that lack of a preseason is a challenge.  For the 49ers that's a 10AM start and for the Broncos it's the Thursday night road curse.  For the Cards its a 10AM start and their second consecutive East coast trip and the Jets having 10 days rest coming off of TNF.

Boom.

SAR I

On 7/21/2020 at 11:02 AM, SAR I said:

The Jets played well enough in Week 1 to beat the Bills.  If not for Darnold and Mosely, we had that game won, in fact.

In Week 17 the Bills were so scared of losing to the hot 5-2 Jets and further mind-screwing a franchise that hasn't won a playoff game since 1995 that they rested their starters.

This Bills fear is irrational.  

SAR I

We also rested 22 players on IR for that game against the Bills.....they won't have that advantage this time around .We shut them out in game one until a rash of 4th quarter injuries let them steal one.

• Post of the Week 1

No fans is a huge advantage for the Jets. In every other city their fans support their home team. At MetLife the players usually just hear mocking & derogatory heckling. No fans will be tremendous for our teams self esteem. 

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2020 at 9:57 PM, SAR I said:

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

Boom.

SAR I

Honestly, I think its more likely we go 0-5 than 5-0. The schedule is just brutal this year. I don't care about all of those factors. Yes they matter but once it comes down to it a lot of these are pretty darn good teams. The niners were in the SB last year and probably only improved their roster since. I think the Jets will have their hands full with the Cardinals offense. The Bills defense is dominant on paper and should be really, really good.  apart from Allen, who is their only unproven critical starter, they have a really good team all around. Probably the best team in the AFCE. The Broncos have a newly revamped offense, albeit young and unproven. 

I think the Jets are most likely to beat the Broncos and Colts because those are teams I think the Jets can hold in check defensively and therefore score enough points against to win. But even that is a toss up. 

I'd say odds are they go 2-3 in that stretch with wins against the Broncos and Colts. Maybe 3-2 if they can pull off a win against the Cards. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Honestly, I think its more likely we go 0-5 than 5-0. The schedule is just brutal this year. I don't care about all of those factors.

The schedule is not brutal this year, never was.  And it has been made easier by factors we weren't aware of when it was first announced.

3 of our 4 visiting West coast teams are coming in the first 5 weeks of a season without full training camps, with practice limitations, with roster limitations, and no preseason games.  

And 6 of our games are against teams with brand new quarterbacks whose offenses will suffer mightily by those same practice and preseason limitations.

In the context of seasons impacted by covid, the Jets got a break.  We can get out to a much faster start than anyone forecasted, and the middle of our schedule is soft.  The division is ours.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The schedule is not brutal this year, never was.  And it has been made easier by factors we weren't aware of when it was first announced.

3 of our 4 visiting West coast teams are coming in the first 5 weeks of a season without full training camps, with practice limitations, with roster limitations, and no preseason games.  

And 6 of our games are against teams with brand new quarterbacks whose offenses will suffer mightily by those same practice and preseason limitations.

In the context of seasons impacted by covid, the Jets got a break.  We can get out to a much faster start than anyone forecasted, and the middle of our schedule is soft.  The division is ours.

SAR I

I sort of agree about the schedule.  The NFL is such a fluid league that teams are over rated and under rated based on past results having little to do with the current team.  On the West to East coast, no question it's a factor.  If those games are 1:00 it will give us an edge.  If the games are flexed it reduces that edge a little.  

In what's likely to be a very sloppy start to the season the special teams are going to be a huge factor in wins in what's likely to be poorly played and officiated games where field position and good place kicking becomes a bigger factor.  I love the punter we drafted.  Could be a game changer.  We better make the field goals and cover the kicks.  Early in the season that could be very big factor in wins and losses. 

No reason not to be optimistic right now.  Personally I will be very happy if we get to watch NFL football good, bad or ugly.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I sort of agree about the schedule.  The NFL is such a fluid league that teams are over rated and under rated based on past results having little to do with the current team.  On the West to East coast, no question it's a factor.  If those games are 1:00 it will give us an edge.  If the games are flexed it reduces that edge a little.  

In what's likely to be a very sloppy start to the season the special teams are going to be a huge factor in wins in what's likely to be poorly played and officiated games where field position and good place kicking becomes a bigger factor.  I love the punter we drafted.  Could be a game changer.  We better make the field goals and cover the kicks.  Early in the season that could be very big factor in wins and losses. 

No reason not to be optimistic right now.  Personally I will be very happy if we get to watch NFL football good, bad or ugly.  

Great point about special teams & there won't be much turnover for Boyer to work with & we upgraded our place kicker & our punter. Berrios will probably be an even better punt returner this year with NFL experience. 

39 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Great point about special teams & there won't be much turnover for Boyer to work with & we upgraded our place kicker & our punter. Berrios will probably be an even better punt returner this year with NFL experience. 

If we had no mono and no injuries, finished 10-6, and beat the Texans in the playoffs last year, how would you feel about this year?

Because that's what would have happened.  So you view this year through that lens.  And we are the AFC East frontrunners.  

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Agree to disagree.

The Jets are going in without a full training camp or preseason just like everyone else. They may not have a new QB but they have 2 new WRs on the outside one of which is a rookie and a completely rebuilt O-line which hasn't really played together. 

Some of those brand new QBs are definitely going to stabilize the team they are on- like the Colts getting Rivers. I don't care that he's missing cam and pre-season, he will still be a more stabilizing QB for them than Brissett. 

The rest of the schedule may seem soft because we are playing the Phins twice and the Chargers. But we are also playing the Seahawks, Rams, Chiefs, Bills, Patriots x2. 

I'm not saying we CAN'T win the division. I'm just saying its unlikely, the schedule is brutal and it will be very, very tough. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Agree to disagree.

The Jets are going in without a full training camp or preseason just like everyone else. They may not have a new QB but they have 2 new WRs on the outside one of which is a rookie and a completely rebuilt O-line which hasn't really played together. 

Some of those brand new QBs are definitely going to stabilize the team they are on- like the Colts getting Rivers. I don't care that he's missing cam and pre-season, he will still be a more stabilizing QB for them than Brissett. 

The rest of the schedule may seem soft because we are playing the Phins twice and the Chargers. But we are also playing the Seahawks, Rams, Chiefs, Bills, Patriots x2. 

I'm not saying we CAN'T win the division. I'm just saying its unlikely, the schedule is brutal and it will be very, very tough. 

We will agree to disagree.  I believe that an OL can gel and play at a competent level faster than a QB can pick up a system and thrive, but I can see the other side of the argument.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

If we had no mono and no injuries, finished 10-6, and beat the Texans in the playoffs last year, how would you feel about this year?

Because that's what would have happened.  So you view this year through that lens.  And we are the AFC East frontrunners.  

SAR I

No injuries, Darnold without Mono, the Dline with a year under their belt. GW with a deep group of CBs to push, bigger more physical WRs, Herndons return, QW in 2nd year, completely revamped oline, better punter & place kicker, same offensive coaches, same defensive coaches, same Special team coaches! BAM! Totally under the radar. 
Jets shock the NFL in 2020. 

• Post of the Week 1

Jamal's antics over and Jets galvanizing behind Gase.  Darnold undefeated in Buffalo.  Old Man Rivers in Indy.  Three West coast teams coming East in the first five weeks.   

5-0 feels pretty good right now.

SAR I

at Bills
49ers
at Colts
Broncos
Cardinals

Boom.

SAR I

4-1 and be grateful.

• Upvote 1