The best Johnson for the job!?

The best Johnson for the job!?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Okay so who's the better head man?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I didn't say any of them leaving had anything to do with Woody, I said the opposite actually.  My point was about all the "talent" Woody inherited.  I said if the talent was so great there's no way 3-4 HCs walk out on us.

I think Woody did a mostly good job as owner (great when you compare to Leon Hess), I think fans are crazy with their Woody hate.

OK, then we at least partially agree.

Fans hate owners, its what some do.  Hes the man, the guy with money.  Hes been called an idiot as a fact, not just to call him names.  One is insistent that he was kept from a high level J&J position because he wasn't trusted as opposed to the company went public when WJ was a little boy.  Some dont even reaLize that the company isnt owned by the Johnson family.  New "debacle" in a post, MetLife.  As if there is an actual problem other than the look of the outside and if it wasn't built with concessions to the co tenants.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Woody inherited a solid, aging roster that was on the verge of cap hell and if not for the 2002 expansion draft who knows how long it would have taken us to get out of cap hell and compete again.

Remember that Parcells (twice), Belichick and Groh all abandoned that "very good roster".  Parcells was desperate to win another SB and he left, BB had one more chance to make it as a HC and he left, Groh would never get another chance as an NFL HC and he left.  Not to mention Dom capers didn't even want to interview.

That's how great the roster was.

Woody didn't get to a SB but he always spent money and tried to win.  Unfortunately for him some guy named Tom Brady became a starting QB in 2001 and dominated the division (and league) for 2 decades.

Woody bought the team and was focused on stealing a stadium from NYS and City.  He allowed Bob Kraft, the owner of another team to steal the most valuable assets of the actual football team.  With BB at the helm the Jets at the time Woody bought them had arguably the best coaching staff in the NFL.  It moved to NE a direct divisional competitor.  

Woody may have been doing the best thing to add dollar value to his team.  From a football point of view, mine as a fan, he's an incompetent and should never be forgiving for letting Bob Kraft turn him upside down and take our lunch money for 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Woody put the total rebuild into motion.  It was already underway when Woody stepped aside.

You mean after going 10-6 in 2015?  You mean like the $12M 2016 contract extension for Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Those weren't rebuilding times.  Woody mumbled a few words out the door in early 2017 when it was already decided that he was going to the UK and Christopher Johnson was going to take over.  That aside, everyone knew that 10-6 was a mirage and Fitzpatrick was a mistake and the Jets needed to rebuild in 2017. 

Thing is, the pile of steaming feces was thrown into Christopher's lap.  What matters is what became of the Jets since then.  And we've got a franchise QB, we've got a strong HC, we have a young and respected GM, and we're on the precipice of winning the division.  Mr. Christopher Johnson, we thank you sir.

SAR I

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Woody inherited a solid, aging roster that was on the verge of cap hell and if not for the 2002 expansion draft who knows how long it would have taken us to get out of cap hell and compete again.

Remember that Parcells (twice), Belichick and Groh all abandoned that "very good roster".  Parcells was desperate to win another SB and he left, BB had one more chance to make it as a HC and he left, Groh would never get another chance as an NFL HC and he left.  Not to mention Dom capers didn't even want to interview.

That's how great the roster was.

Woody didn't get to a SB but he always spent money and tried to win.  Unfortunately for him some guy named Tom Brady became a starting QB in 2001 and dominated the division (and league) for 2 decades.

Parcells, Groh and Belichick didn’t abandon the roster they abandoned Woody Johnson

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And Chris loved the guy and 100% bought into his 'we have a plan' nonsense.

Woody made the hire, Chris loved the guy as much as woody and kept him on, only firing him atfer his coach (who sucks) back stabbed the gm.

Chris is just as bad as woody, if not worse.

Woody and Chrissy both suck

See if that Cohen guy also wants a NFL team he has the money

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells, Groh and Belichick didn’t abandon the roster they abandoned Woody Johnson

They didn't know Woody Johnson.  Who, by the way, turned out to be better than Leon Hess and Parcells, Groh, and Belichick worked for him.

Hess died at the wrong time.  If he could have held on for another year or two, history is re-written.

SAR I

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Wha?  Woody Johnson was named Ambassador in January 2017:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/politics/woody-johnson-trump-ambassador.html

Christopher Johnson was announced as new Jets CEO.  In his first press conference in September 2017, he announced a rebuild:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ceo-christopher-johnson-hopes-fans-will-stick-around-after-rebuild-1.14257810

Sticking with Bowles and clearing out the weed malcontents gets him a 5-11 season in 2017 and the ability to be in position to trade up in the best QB draft in decades.  Jets get Darnold.  Good first step, but the Jets still aren't a good looking job, still a broken culture, still too many problems in the locker room.  Retains Maccagnan and Bowles, lame duck season for both, more housecleaning necessary.  Jets go 4-12 in 2018 but Darnold shows potential.

Now with a true FQB in place, Christopher Johnson is in a position to attract top NFL talent, he gets the best available HC, DC, and GM in the league heading in to 2019.  Jets thrown many obstacles with illness and injury, still finish at 7-9 where most predicted, would have been 10-6 and a playoff team if perfectly healthy.  Rebuild is 5 years ahead of schedule.

Christopher Johnson has a plan and has executed it perfectly.  We're about to win the division for the first time in 18 years.  Show a little gratitude.

SAR I

Actually Woody was nominated in June, approved in July, and took over in August, not January.

They both are terrible.  A president of football operations, with a football background, should have been named from the start.  We have trust fund babies who come in with no clue how to run a football team and that is why the Jets have been a mess for years.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joejet said:

They both are terrible.  A president of football operations, with a football background, should have been named from the start.  We have trust fund babies who come in with no clue how to run a football team and that is why the Jets have been a mess for years.

Instead we have Woody trading draft picks for Tim Tebow and saying let’s take a pass on that Russell Wilson guy

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

They didn't know Woody Johnson.  Who, by the way, turned out to be better than Leon Hess and Parcells, Groh, and Belichick worked for him.

Hess died at the wrong time.  If he could have held on for another year or two, history is re-written.

SAR I

Belichick quit right after having an interview with Woody who was at the time in the process of selling the team. Groh quit a year later.  Parcells quit immediately after Groh which was right after Woody officially bought the team

No one good wants to work for Woody

17 hours ago, Biggs said:

Woody bought the team and was focused on stealing a stadium from NYS and City.  He allowed Bob Kraft, the owner of another team to steal the most valuable assets of the actual football team.  With BB at the helm the Jets at the time Woody bought them had arguably the best coaching staff in the NFL.  It moved to NE a direct divisional competitor.  

Woody may have been doing the best thing to add dollar value to his team.  From a football point of view, mine as a fan, he's an incompetent and should never be forgiving for letting Bob Kraft turn him upside down and take our lunch money for 20 years. 

Damn that guy for wanting a NYC stadium!

He wasn't the owner when Belichick walked out, that was all on Parcells.

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

You mean after going 10-6 in 2015?  You mean like the $12M 2016 contract extension for Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Those weren't rebuilding times.  Woody mumbled a few words out the door in early 2017 when it was already decided that he was going to the UK and Christopher Johnson was going to take over.  That aside, everyone knew that 10-6 was a mirage and Fitzpatrick was a mistake and the Jets needed to rebuild in 2017. 

Thing is, the pile of steaming feces was thrown into Christopher's lap.  What matters is what became of the Jets since then.  And we've got a franchise QB, we've got a strong HC, we have a young and respected GM, and we're on the precipice of winning the division.  Mr. Christopher Johnson, we thank you sir.

SAR I

He gave the green light for the complete rebuild.  It didn't work as planned but we got the most important piece because if it in Sam.

The 2005 and 2007 Jets were worse than anything Chris Johnson has overseen and in one offseason they added pieces to compete immediately.  This will be year 4 of Chris and they haven't even been in a playoff race by Halloween.

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Belichick left before Woody became the owner

Parcells stepped down from coaching before Woody became the owner then after Woody was named owner he stayed on as President.

Groh is the only one to leave Woody as a HC and Groh ruined what should have been a playoff team in 2000.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Damn that guy for wanting a NYC stadium!

He wasn't the owner when Belichick walked out, that was all on Parcells.

He gave the green light for the complete rebuild.  It didn't work as planned but we got the most important piece because if it in Sam.

The 2005 and 2007 Jets were worse than anything Chris Johnson has overseen and in one offseason they added pieces to compete immediately.  This will be year 4 of Chris and they haven't even been in a playoff race by Halloween.

Belichick left before Woody became the owner

Parcells stepped down from coaching before Woody became the owner then after Woody was named owner he stayed on as President.

Groh is the only one to leave Woody as a HC and Groh ruined what should have been a playoff team in 2000.

You defend mediocrity like no one I have ever seen.  But Woody isn't even mediocre. He's documented and proven below average.  As was REX, your other hero. Yes compared to HESS, YOU or I would be a good owner.  Woody has failed miserably at hiring the right people.  Just look at @SAR I sig pic of the coaches under Woody.  Mediocre GM's, below average coaches and a record well below 500 to show for it.  I am with @Philc1, I fully believe BB knew of Woody and wanted no part of him. He was attracted to a businessman in NE that would give him some rope.     Look at our hiring..  all rookie HC's and GM's.  Real football men won't work for Woody.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Instead we have Woody trading draft picks for Tim Tebow and saying let’s take a pass on that Russell Wilson guy

Really?

1. Show me proof that Tanny has lied and it wasn't his call to sign Tebow

2. Find anything that says A. Bradway pushed hard for Wilson B. Woody turned drafting a QB in the 3rd down for some reason that you've made up.  The Bradway liked Wilson story has now turned into Bradway wanted him and Woody shot it down?  When did Woody become a GM drafting players?  

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Belichick quit right after having an interview with Woody who was at the time in the process of selling the team. Groh quit a year later.  Parcells quit immediately after Groh which was right after Woody officially bought the team

No one good wants to work for Woody

More fantasy.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:08 AM, southparkcpa said:

You defend mediocrity like no one I have ever seen.  But Woody isn't even mediocre. He's documented and proven below average.  As was REX, your other hero. Yes compared to HESS, YOU or I would be a good owner.  Woody has failed miserably at hiring the right people.  Just look at @SAR I sig pic of the coaches under Woody.  Mediocre GM's, below average coaches and a record well below 500 to show for it.  I am with @Philc1, I fully believe BB knew of Woody and wanted no part of him. He was attracted to a businessman in NE that would give him some rope.     Look at our hiring..  all rookie HC's and GM's.  Real football men won't work for Woody.

I defend what is right.  What made mistakes but we've had more sustained success under Woody than at any other time in franchise history.  It's not his fault that during our best stretch ever was during the peak Brady era.

BB didn't know a damn thing, he left because he didn't want Parcells hovering over him and Jets but forget how mediocre BB has been without the greatest QB of all time.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I defend what is right.  What made mistakes but we've had more sustained success under Woody than at any other time in franchise history.  It's not his fault that during our best stretch ever was during the peak Brady era.

BB didn't know a damn thing, he left because he didn't want Parcells hovering over him and Jets but forget how mediocre BB has been without the greatest QB of all time.

Stats aren't with you.  Woody can't hire well and that is his first responsibility.  You believe what you want about BB , I'll believe BB in addition to the Parcells deal didn't want to work for Woody.  But this is about Woody, not BB.  No REAL football, fully experienced man has accepted a job with Woody.  JD appears to be the first.

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Stats aren't with you.  Woody can't hire well and that is his first responsibility.  You believe what you want about BB , I'll believe BB in addition to the Parcells deal didn't want to work for Woody.  But this is about Woody, not BB.  No REAL football, fully experienced man has accepted a job with Woody.  JD appears to be the first.

BB and BP have always been honest ?

If BP didn't want to work for Woody then why did he start as had of football oops for 2000?

Stats are with me.  In 17 years under Woody we have 6 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins without ever having back to back losing seasons.

In 43 years with everyone else we have 8 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins.

Was Woody perfect? Of course not, he did a poor job this past decade until he left in 2017 but he did an excellent job the first decade.  Unfortunately Brady came along.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

BB and BP have always been honest ?

If BP didn't want to work for Woody then why did he start as had of football oops for 2000?

Stats are with me.  In 17 years under Woody we have 6 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins without ever having back to back losing seasons.

In 43 years with everyone else we have 8 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins.

Was Woody perfect? Of course not, he did a poor job this past decade until he left in 2017 but he did an excellent job the first decade.  Unfortunately Brady came along.

We're not comparing the JETS of today to the past... . Compare the Jets of today with other teams of today.  I used the expansion Panthers as an example.  But there really are only about 10 teams in the league worse than us the last 20 years. Under Woody and we are WELL in the bottom third. I stated that YOU could do better than Hess.   A computer model could have done better than Woody.

We are a bottom 3rd franchise under Woody.  That is a fact.   

On 7/26/2020 at 9:05 AM, southparkcpa said:

We're not comparing the JETS of today to the past... . Compare the Jets of today with other teams of today.  I used the expansion Panthers as an example.  But there really are only about 10 teams in the league worse than us the last 20 years. Under Woody and we are WELL in the bottom third. I stated that YOU could do better than Hess.   A computer model could have done better than Woody.

We are a bottom 3rd franchise under Woody.  That is a fact.   

The last 10 years? Id agree, the last 20 years we are a top half franchise and from 2000-2011 we were a top 10 franchise.

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The last 10 years? Id agree, the last 20 years we are a top half franchise and from 2000-2011 we were a top 10 franchise.

Prove it.....   I imagine we are bottom third in wins, playoff appearances etc. 20 years is his ownership period.  That's the time frame.

Woody is a below average owner based on his 20 year track record.  We won more than 10 games ONCE in 20 years, 

We won 10 games 4 times. 

Less than 8 games 10 times.  

6 playoff wins, 6 playoff appearances

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Prove it.....   I imagine we are bottom third in wins, playoff appearances etc. 20 years is his ownership period.  That's the time frame.

Woody is a below average owner based on his 20 year track record.  We won more than 10 games ONCE in 20 years, 

We won 10 games 4 times. 

Less than 8 games 10 times.  

6 playoff wins, 6 playoff appearances

Playoff wins 2000-2010

Only 6 teams had more playoff wins

New England 14

Pittsburgh 12

Philadelphia 10

Indianapolis 9

Baltimore 9

Green Bay 7

NYJ 6

NYG 6

Seattle 5

Carolina 5

New Orleans 5

Oakland 4

Arizona 4

San Diego 3

St. Louis 3

Tampa Bay 3

Minnesota 3

Chicago 3

Tennessee 2

Atlanta 2

San Francisco 1

Dallas 1

Washington 1

Denver 1

Jacksonville 1

Kansas City 0

Buffalo 0

Miami 0

Cleveland 0

Cincinnati 0

Houston 0

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Woody hands downs. Christopher is a wuss who will let the players kneel for some bs.

Ah yes.  Because the kneeling is what matters most here when evaluating an owner.  Not hiring GM's and stuff.  

Woody saying racist and misogynistic stuff?  Totally cool.  As long as he doesn't allow kneeling.  The horror.

This is not even debatable. Chris Johnson is a good owner. The dude called every single player to talk through the Woody comments. Regardless of what you think of the Woody comments, it speaks volumes to the level of communication Chris brings to the table when he literally has spoken to every player over the last two weeks. And he’s obviously letting football folks make football decisions. That’s key. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Playoff wins 2000-2010

Only 6 teams had more playoff wins

New England 14

Pittsburgh 12

Philadelphia 10

Indianapolis 9

Baltimore 9

Green Bay 7

NYJ 6

NYG 6

Seattle 5

Carolina 5

New Orleans 5

Oakland 4

Arizona 4

San Diego 3

St. Louis 3

Tampa Bay 3

Minnesota 3

Chicago 3

Tennessee 2

Atlanta 2

San Francisco 1

Dallas 1

Washington 1

Denver 1

Jacksonville 1

Kansas City 0

Buffalo 0

Miami 0

Cleveland 0

Cincinnati 0

Houston 0

Do it in just 2009. That will really make you look smart.  Woody has owned the team 20 years......    not 10.   

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This is not even debatable. Chris Johnson is a good owner. The dude called every single player to talk through the Woody comments. Regardless of what you think of the Woody comments, it speaks volumes to the level of communication Chris brings to the table when he literally has spoken to every player over the last two weeks. And he’s obviously letting football folks make football decisions. That’s key. 

Exactly what a good owner does.  Leave the football decisions to football people and don't meddle, but show the players know you care even a modicum about them from time to time.  That's it.

• Upvote 1