The best Johnson for the job!?

The best Johnson for the job!?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Okay so who's the better head man?

On 7/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, southparkcpa said:

Do it in just 2009. That will really make you look smart.  Woody has owned the team 20 years......    not 10.   

I said they were top 10 2000-2010 you asked for evidence, I provided it.  12-16 they mostly sucked but still never had back to back losing seasons.  Last 3 years under Chris we haven't even competed.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I said they were top 10 2000-2010 you asked for evidence, I provided it.  12-16 they mostly sucked but still never had back to back losing seasons.  Last 3 years under Chris we haven't even competed.

I did not say that.... read that quote, I always mentioned 20 years..   you said 10 I said I don’t care about 10.  

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, and no one cares what success that Jets had in 2000-2010 under Woody Johnson.  His reputation has clearly taken a nosedive.  Making bad hire after bad hire at GM and HC tends to do that to an owner.  The latest news coming from jolly old England is only making it worse.

Chris Johnson, whether you like it or not, is the future.  I'd love for him to sell the team but its not happening.  But either way, you shouldn't be pining for Woody to come back.  Chris is very clearly the lesser of 2 evils.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, and no one cares what success that Jets had in 2000-2010 under Woody Johnson.  His reputation has clearly taken a nosedive.  Making bad hire after bad hire at GM and HC tends to do that to an owner.  The latest news coming from jolly old England is only making it worse.

Chris Johnson, whether you like it or not, is the future.  I'd love for him to sell the team but its not happening.  But either way, you shouldn't be pining for Woody to come back.  Chris is very clearly the lesser of 2 evils.

Are you disagreeing with junk science?  He will change the facts if he has to?.  In Woodys 20 years as owner we are a bottom 10 team.  It’s that simple.   Any attempt to limit the sample size is pure fantasy.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Are you disagreeing with junk science?  He will change the facts if he has to?.  In Woodys 20 years as owner we are a bottom 10 team.  It’s that simple.   Any attempt to limit the sample size is pure fantasy.  

I wonder what JN think...  saying bottom 10...in  32 team league?  is weird, to me...

I thiknk in terms of either quarters or thirds, quarters being simplest 32/4 =8

top 8, 2nd 8, bottom half 8, worst 8 

On 7/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree but he even during his worst times from 2011-2016 we never saw consecutive losing seasons.  Under Chris we have seen 3 straight, take your political opinions of Woody away so you can discuss him fairly.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I agree but he even during his worst times from 2011-2016 we never saw consecutive losing seasons.  Under Chris we have seen 3 straight, take your political opinions of Woody away so you can discuss him fairly.

The lack of competitiveness of the last three years' teams is directly tied to Woody's last two GM hires, Idzik Mac. What was Chris Johnson supposed to do, upend his brother's team the moment he walks thru the door? He basically learned the business from Mac and Bowles and then fired them one at a time. 

These hires we have right now are different. Whatever you think of Gase, he's the first coach with NFL head coaching experience that the Jets have hired since Bill Parcells. In other words, Woody Johnson never once hired a coach with top level experience in his 20 years at the helm. The Joe Douglas hire is also very different. This is a guy that you heard about around the league when GM jobs opened up. And the Jets made the -again- unusual move for them to give him a six-year deal and what appears to be a free reign. This is probably the best management the Jets have had since Leon Hess' last hire. Chris has changed the culture -at least he's started to- and I hope he convinces Woody to not meddle with it. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, southparkcpa said:

Woody ran things from 2000-2016, that's 17 seasons.  Even including the 3 awful Chris Johnson years we are 6th of 16 teams in the AFC in playoff wins and 13th out of 32 teams in the NFL.  

Playoff wins 2000-2020

Pats 30

Baltimore 15

Pittsburgh 15

Philadelphia 14

Seattle 14

Indianapolis 13

Green Bay 13

Giants 10

New Orleans 9

Carolina 8

San Francisco 8

Denver 7

Jets 6 

Atlanta 6

Rams 5

Arizona 5

Tennessee 5

Minnesota 5

Kansas City 5

Chargers 5

Raiders 4

Houston 4

Jacksonville 3

Tampa Bay 3

Chicago 3

Dallas 3

Miami 1

Washington 1

Detroit 0

Buffalo 0

Cleveland 0

Cincinnati 0

1 minute ago, slats said:

The lack of competitiveness of the last three years' teams is directly tied to Woody's last two GM hires, Idzik Mac. What was Chris Johnson supposed to do, upend his brother's team the moment he walks thru the door? He basically learned the business from Mac and Bowles and then fired them one at a time. 

These hires we have right now are different. Whatever you think of Gase, he's the first coach with NFL head coaching experience that the Jets have hired since Bill Parcells. In other words, Woody Johnson never once hired a coach with top level experience in his 20 years at the helm. The Joe Douglas hire is also very different. This is a guy that you heard about around the league when GM jobs opened up. And the Jets made the -again- unusual move for them to give him a six-year deal and what appears to be a free reign. This is probably the best management the Jets have had since Leon Hess' last hire. Chris has changed the culture -at least he's started to- and I hope he convinces Woody to not meddle with it. 

Woody made moves to help us win, Chris sat back and did nothing.  When we had bad seasons he made sure to go out and get players or change coaches.  There's a reason we never saw back to back losing seasons under Woody.  Chris does absolutely nothing.

What culture has Chris changed?  The only good move he made was Joe Douglas and the only reason Joe came here was because of Adam Gase who everyone hates.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Woody made moves to help us win, Chris sat back and did nothing.  When we had bad seasons he made sure to go out and get players or change coaches.  There's a reason we never saw back to back losing seasons under Woody.  Chris does absolutely nothing.

What culture has Chris changed?  The only good move he made was Joe Douglas and the only reason Joe came here was because of Adam Gase who everyone hates.

Woody tried to fix the ceiling with duct tape. Joe Douglas, under Chris, is doing a complete renovation. Jets have made a lot of flashy moves over the last two decades that were more effective as spring headlines than they ever were on the field. I don't want the team to be bobbing between 6 and 10 win seasons and calling that success, I want a team built to win 12+ games every year. Your Tim Tebows don't make that happen. 

I'm unconcerned about the the two losing years under Bowles, and Gase's 7-9 in the mono year. Joe D's first year on the job has been a gust of fresh air. I know it made a couple people here sad and angry, but I absolutely loved the lack of high priced names coming in in favor of pragmatism and depth. I believe something's being built the right way under this GM, and I really, really hope Woody has the will power to stay out of his way. 

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Woody ran things from 2000-2016, that's 17 seasons.  Even including the 3 awful Chris Johnson years we are 6th of 16 teams in the AFC in playoff wins and 13th out of 32 teams in the NFL.  

Playoff wins 2000-2020

Pats 30

Baltimore 15

Pittsburgh 15

Philadelphia 14

Seattle 14

Indianapolis 13

Green Bay 13

Giants 10

New Orleans 9

Carolina 8

San Francisco 8

Denver 7

Jets 6 

Atlanta 6

Rams 5

Arizona 5

Tennessee 5

Minnesota 5

Kansas City 5

Chargers 5

Raiders 4

Houston 4

Jacksonville 3

Tampa Bay 3

Chicago 3

Dallas 3

Miami 1

Washington 1

Detroit 0

Buffalo 0

Cleveland 0

Cincinnati 0

Not bad but that is a very poor barometer in my view as division winners do not have to play as many games as we do but I digress.

W-L is the barometer I would use and I simply don't care enough to put in the work.  

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Woody tried to fix the ceiling with duct tape. Joe Douglas, under Chris, is doing a complete renovation. Jets have made a lot of flashy moves over the last two decades that were more effective as spring headlines than they ever were on the field. I don't want the team to be bobbing between 6 and 10 win seasons and calling that success, I want a team built to win 12+ games every year. Your Tim Tebows don't make that happen. 

I'm unconcerned about the the two losing years under Bowles, and Gase's 7-9 in the mono year. Joe D's first year on the job has been a gust of fresh air. I know it made a couple people here sad and angry, but I absolutely loved the lack of high priced names coming in in favor of pragmatism and depth. I believe something's being built the right way under this GM, and I really, really hope Woody has the will power to stay out of his way. 

You do realize it was Woody who started the complete rebuild, right?

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Not bad but that is a very poor barometer in my view as division winners do not have to play as many games as we do but I digress.

W-L is the barometer I would use and I simply don't care enough to put in the work.  

I can use playoff appearances too and the results will be similar.  The bottom line is we have been bad 2011-current but the overall results have not been.  It look worse with NE dominating (which cost us many division titles) and the Giants going on 2 SB runs but Woody did a good job while running our team.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You do realize it was Woody who started the complete rebuild, right?

This is not Woody's rebuild. It's not Maccagnan's, either. This is Joe Douglas cleaning up the huge mess left by the two previous incompetent GMs and their incompetent boss. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, slats said:

This is not Woody's rebuild. It's not Maccagnan's, either. This is Joe Douglas cleaning up the huge mess left by the two previous incompetent GMs and their incompetent boss. 

Macc got us a franchise QB, the rebuild means nothing without that.

Douglas looks great but he's here because of Gase not Chris.

Let's not forget when Woody was buying the team he thought he was inheriting Belichick then when BB quit he tried to get Parcells back.  Parcells didn't want to coach and he allowed BP to hire Groh.

After Groh quit he tried again to hire BP as HC, he didn't want to coach.  He then hired Bradway who hired Herm.  Herm was a good coach.

After herm left he elevated Tannenbaum and hired mangini who had 2 winning seasons in 3 years.  He then made a tough decision to fire Mangini and hired Rex which was a home run.

His biggest mistake was firing tannenbaum and hiring idzik but he quickly fired Idzik.  He then allowed 2 pros to run the search for GM and HC.  Unfortunately they didn't work out but hard to blame Woody for that.

In 17 seasons we made the playoffs 6 times, won an AFC East title (one of only 2 in our history), made 2 AFC Championship Games, never had back to back losing seasons and only had 7 losing seasons overall.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I can use playoff appearances too and the results will be similar.  The bottom line is we have been bad 2011-current but the overall results have not been.  It look worse with NE dominating (which cost us many division titles) and the Giants going on 2 SB runs but Woody did a good job while running our team.

Understood.. we had a nice playoff run in the 2001 to 2010 era... VERY inconsistent.  Seemed under Chad we skipped the playoffs every other year.

I simply think in terms of W/L and Superbowls.    I could also argue that remove 2009-2010 and the results are SO different.  But your stats were good...  have the time to do W/L?  I certainly don't.

Go Heels!!!  

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

His biggest mistake was firing tannenbaum and hiring idzik but he quickly fired Idzik.  He then allowed 2 pros to run the search for GM and HC.  Unfortunately they didn't work out but hard to blame Woody for that.

Tannenbaum also sucked. And yeah, tough to blame the owner who stuck the team with seven straight years of absolute incompetence at the GM position. 

I also believe in Darnold, and believe both Gase and Douglas are here largely because of him. But Joe D is a smart dude who's set up next year to either finish building around Sam or replace him if need be. They want Sam to work out, but they're not completely dependent on anything Mac did here to build their own success. 

Feel free to reply, but I'm out. Your takes are just too far out there for me. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/3/2020 at 9:15 AM, southparkcpa said:

Understood.. we had a nice playoff run in the 2001 to 2010 era... VERY inconsistent.  Seemed under Chad we skipped the playoffs every other year.

I simply think in terms of W/L and Superbowls.    I could also argue that remove 2009-2010 and the results are SO different.  But your stats were good...  have the time to do W/L?  I certainly don't.

Go Heels!!!  

When Chad played at least 12 games he made the playoffs every time.  His issue was durability, he just couldn't stay healthy.

I think overall W/L would be in the same ballpark.  The problem is we lost so many seasons to QB injuries- 2003, 2004, 2007, 2013.  That skews the record.

We had a nice run from about 1997-2011, post 2011 is like pre 1997.  Hopefully better days are ahead.  I'm an optimist but I really feel Joe Douglas is going to do big things here.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, slats said:

Tannenbaum also sucked. And yeah, tough to blame the owner who stuck the team with seven straight years of absolute incompetence at the GM position. 

I also believe in Darnold, and believe both Gase and Douglas are here largely because of him. But Joe D is a smart dude who's set up next year to either finish building around Sam or replace him if need be. They want Sam to work out, but they're not completely dependent on anything Mac did here to build their own success. 

Feel free to reply, but I'm out. Your takes are just too far out there for me. 

Tannenbaum built 2 AFC Championship Game teams, his teams made the playoffs with 2 different HCs, they only had 3 losing seasons,he drafted the best player in Jets history (having to trade up to get him) but yeah he sucked.

Remember when everyone used to bash Terry Bradway?  Isn't it along how with TB in the organization from 2001-2014 the Jets made the playoffs 6 times, won a division title, made the divisional round 4 times and made 2 AFC Championship Games yet since he was let go we've seen 3 losing seasons and zero playoff apps in 4 years.

People need to understand during this time we faced the greatest dynasty in sports with the Brady Pats.  It was just bad luck to have our longest stretch of success in the Brady era and despite this we did beat Brady in the biggest game the two teams ever played against each other.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

When Chad played at least 12 games he made the playoffs every time.  His issue was durability, he just couldn't stay healthy.

I think overall W/L would be in the same ballpark.  The problem is we lost so many seasons to QB injuries- 2003, 2004, 2007, 2013.  That skews the record.

We had a nice run from about 1997-2011, post 2011 is like pre 1997.  Hopefully better days are ahead.  I'm an optimist but I really feel Joe Douglas is going to do big things here.

Tannenbaum built 2 AFC Championship Game teams, his teams made the playoffs with 2 different HCs, they only had 3 losing seasons,he drafted the best player in Jets history (having to trade up to get him) but yeah he sucked.

Remember when everyone used to bash Terry Bradway?  Isn't it along how with TB in the organization from 2001-2014 the Jets made the playoffs 6 times, won a division title, made the divisional round 4 times and made 2 AFC Championship Games yet since he was let go we've seen 3 losing seasons and zero playoff apps in 4 years.

People need to understand during this time we faced the greatest dynasty in sports with the Brady Pats.  It was just bad luck to have our longest stretch of success in the Brady era and despite this we did beat Brady in the biggest game the two teams ever played against each other.

We are what our records says we are....  I believe most top 10 teams would never have stood pat with Chad.  We did ...THAT reflects on ownership.  Same as passing on a QB when Mahommes and Watson were available and you’re playing McCown.  ONLY a poorly run team drafts a safety when they have a journeyman QB and GOOD QBs are on the board.  

Woodys teams are poorly run and poorly managed. 

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We are what our records says we are....  I believe most top 10 teams would never have stood pat with Chad.  We did ...THAT reflects on ownership.  Same as passing on a QB when Mahommes and Watson were available and you’re playing McCown.  ONLY a poorly run team drafts a safety when they have a journeyman QB and GOOD QBs are on the board.  

Woodys teams are poorly run and poorly managed. 

Chad was a top 10 QB when healthy, any team would have held onto him to see if he could get healthy.

Mahomes and Watson were not sure things, if they were they would have selected them.  It's easy to look back now but the highest rated QB was Trubisky.  Not to mention neither Mahomes or Watson would be the same player here that they are in KC and Houston.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad was a top 10 QB when healthy, any team would have held onto him to see if he could get healthy.

So I guess he wasn't healthy for that Raiders' playoff game, and never recovered after that? 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mahomes and Watson were not sure things, if they were they would have selected them.  It's easy to look back now but the highest rated QB was Trubisky.  Not to mention neither Mahomes or Watson would be the same player here that they are in KC and Houston.

We are a profesional football team... we need a QB every year not every other.  Woody liked Chad because he looked the part.  LOVED a healthy Chad but that person wasn’t available.  we never won more than 10 games with him.    He had 3 good seasons.  NONE consecutively.   Good teams don’t tolerate that.   

On 8/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, nyjunc said:

Chad was a one year wonder in 2002.  His body immediately began falling apart after that season 

Woody gushed like a schoolgirl anytime a qb we drafted had any success in the playoffs and couldn’t wait to overpay.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:39 AM, southparkcpa said:

Stats aren't with you.  Woody can't hire well and that is his first responsibility.  You believe what you want about BB , I'll believe BB in addition to the Parcells deal didn't want to work for Woody.  But this is about Woody, not BB.  No REAL football, fully experienced man has accepted a job with Woody.  JD appears to be the first.

You cant turn further away from what was reported at the time of Belichicks deal with the Pats.  

Parcells was going to be retained and Belichick didnt want to coach under his shadow.

Kraft gave Belichick the keys to the city and couldn't pass that deal up.

After the Belichick fiasco Parcells offered to stay as HC, at his price and Woody decided to move on, the ship had sailed.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:01 PM, southparkcpa said:

We are a profesional football team... we need a QB every year not every other.  Woody liked Chad because he looked the part.  LOVED a healthy Chad but that person wasn’t available.  we never won more than 10 games with him.    He had 3 good seasons.  NONE consecutively.   Good teams don’t tolerate that.   

What team do you root for?
We made the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons at one point and then 2 straight AFCCGs.  

Yes, its been one bad year after another for too long but dont make it into only 3 good seasons.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, its been one bad year after another for too long but dont make it into only 3 good seasons.

He's talking about Pennington. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You cant turn further away from what was reported at the time of Belichicks deal with the Pats.  

Parcells was going to be retained and Belichick didnt want to coach under his shadow.

Kraft gave Belichick the keys to the city and couldn't pass that deal up.

After the Belichick fiasco Parcells offered to stay as HC, at his price and Woody decided to move on, the ship had sailed.

Watch the Two Bills documentary.  Belichick explicitly says he had a phone interview with Woody and “had reservations” about working for him.  Literally the next day he wrote his resignation letter on a beverage napkin

I know you like Woody and think he’s this great owner so I’ll be fair Belichick said the same exact thing about Dolan who was the other person trying to buy the jets at that time

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Watch the Two Bills documentary.  Belichick explicitly says he had a phone interview with Woody and “had reservations” about working for him.  Literally the next day he wrote his resignation letter on a beverage napkin

I know you like Woody and think he’s this great owner so I’ll be fair Belichick said the same exact thing about Dolan who was the other person trying to buy the jets at that time

You think for a second, after all the shlt Belichick took for running out on his mentor, with Parcells sitting right in front of him, I believe a word he says about why he left.

Had reservations about the job, not about working for Woody. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Chad was here in2009 2010 ????  Hmmm. Must have missed that. 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've said it before that they both look like aliens! They're almost as bad as Cellino & Barnes! Kind of reminds me of the Cockroach guy from Men In Black when the human skin doesn't fit right.

I need sugar!!!

That scene ruined my childhood. 

• Haha 1