Jump to content

Jags writer suggests Jamal for Ngakoue swap


AFJF

Recommended Posts

I know it's been discussed a few times on here but would you do this deal straight up?  I know many feel Jamal has more value due to his versatility so it should be Ngakoue and a pick, but his recent antics make him a guy that some people just want to wash their hands of.  Jags may not even want a safety who is going to demand at least $17 mil per year as soon as he shows up, but if Jax calls and offers the one-for-one deal, do you do it?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So swap players that are unhappy with a losing franchise and want to paid more then the going rated for their position or talent level. Why the **** would they do that?

Because neither guy wants to be with their current team and both are good enough to help their new team?  It would all boil down to what Jamal is asking.  If it's $16 mil, a team may bite.  If it's $20 mil, as some have speculated, nobody is trading for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So swap players that are unhappy with a losing franchise and want to paid more then the going rated for their position or talent level. Why the **** would they do that?

I don't like negotiating with terrorists. If I didn't think he was as childish as Jamal I'd happily make the trade. He plays a position that matters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jags aren't this stupid! You think they want to pay a safety 20 million? They dont even want to pay a more important position (pass rusher). 

1) We don't know that it's $20 million as that is just speculation at this point.

2) If they want rid of Ngakoue as badly as the Jets probably want rid of Jamal, they may bite the bullet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ngakuoe is much more expensive now. He is franchised and only option is another franchise.  

Adams is under contract 2 more years, then can be franchised.

But if Ngakuoe can be extended reasonably as part of the trade it could work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

So swap players that are unhappy with a losing franchise and want to paid more then the going rated for their position or talent level. Why the **** would they do that?

Word. I’d rather have Ngakoue, but he might be more insane than Jamal. I’d need an additional pick (or two) from the Jags to cover my ass in case Ngakoue goes psycho on my coaches, but I’d be motivated to do this because it’d annoy Jamal so much

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Because neither guy wants to be with their current team and both are good enough to help their new team?  It would all boil down to what Jamal is asking.  If it's $16 mil, a team may bite.  If it's $20 mil, as some have speculated, nobody is trading for him.

The take-home pay after state taxes might make a lower salary more amenable to Jamal. 
NJ: $20M -> $9.98M take home 

FL: $16.3M-> $9.98M take home 

This is all provided he really wants the “20” and that isn’t just posturing.
 

*before a tax guy jumps down my throat, these are loose estimates based on bad math, and if all 16 games were played in these respective states. 
 

TL;DR: Jamal might ask for less money if traded to a state without income taxes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Word. I’d rather have Ngakoue, but he might be more insane than Jamal. I’d need an additional pick (or two) from the Jags to cover my ass in case Ngakoue goes psycho on my coaches, but I’d be motivated to do this because it’d annoy Jamal so much

Are you such a spiteful human being that you'd hope the Jets retain Jamal and franchise him twice, choosing to send him home to sit on the couch for the next four years?  Because, I kinda' think I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather wait and see what kind of player Davis is before dumping Jamal.  We can dump him before the end of October or keep him at a very low salary for the entire year.  There is zero pressure to move him now.   There may be much better oportunities once the season is under way.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Are you such a spiteful human being that you'd hope the Jets retain Jamal and franchise him twice, choosing to send him home to sit on the couch for the next four years?  Because, I kinda' think I am.

I’d prefer to convince someone to jump off the bridge as opposed to being the person to throw them off the bridge. I’d bring him to camp, let Ashtyn Davis take incrementally more snaps at SS in practice, let him get dragged by the media for two weeks, then I’d trade him to Jacksonville or Detroit for whatever I could squeeze out of them. Then I’d re-sign Rontez Miles and hand him #33. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’d prefer to convince someone to jump off the bridge as opposed to being the person to throw them off the bridge. I’d bring him to camp, let Ashtyn Davis take incrementally more snaps at SS in practice, let him get dragged by the media for two weeks, then I’d trade him to Jacksonville or Detroit for whatever I could squeeze out of them. Then I’d re-sign Rontez Miles and hand him #33. 

#33 and a "C".

  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I get the fact that its disgruntled player for disgruntled player.  But in both teams cases, if you didn’t want one guy who was unhappy, why would you trade him for another guy who is not happy?  What makes you think the Jets or Jags can make either of these guys happy?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

The take-home pay after state taxes might make a lower salary more amenable to Jamal. 
NJ: $20M -> $9.98M take home 

FL: $16.3M-> $9.98M take home 

This is all provided he really wants the “20” and that isn’t just posturing.
 

*before a tax guy jumps down my throat, these are loose estimates based on bad math, and if all 16 games were played in these respective states. 
 

TL;DR: Jamal might ask for less money if traded to a state without income taxes. 

Just a little bit of cleanup here.  I'm not a CPA but I think this math is a lot closer.

NJ effective tax rate at these numbers is around 10%.  FL is 0%.

So 10% of $20M is $2M off the top.  That's if all 16 games were played in the state as you mentioned.  In reality, It's a 7-game difference.  8 home games in NJ vs. 1 in FL as opposed to the opposite.  The other games should even out over multiple seasons.  I'm ignoring SALT because the cap makes it somewhat meaningless at these numbers but it would help the NJ number a little more.

So 7/16 * $2M = $875,000.  That's a lot closer to the real impact of playing in NJ vs. FL on a $20M salary.  So while it absolutely hurts the NY/NJ guys, it may not be a huge factor in their decision.  Especially right now when FL is not exactly putting their best foot forward as a state :)

 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I guess I get the fact that its disgruntled player for disgruntled player.  But in both teams cases, if you didn’t want one guy who was unhappy, why would you trade him for another guy who is not happy?  What makes you think the Jets or Jags can make either of these guys happy?  

Because sometimes these guys are SO happy to get out of what they perceive as a terrible situation, they are all glowy about the new team.  Not always, but a simple conversation with the agent (with the other team's permission) could establish if they will be happier here than there.  If not, don't touch.

 

It'll almost be fun to see Jamal shouting how much better JAX is than NY at the same time that Ngakoue is shouting the exact opposite.  Kinda makes everyone look stupid, which is back page gold for a day or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Because sometimes these guys are SO happy to get out of what they perceive as a terrible situation, they are all glowy about the new team.  Not always, but a simple conversation with the agent (with the other team's permission) could establish if they will be happier here than there.  If not, don't touch.

 

It'll almost be fun to see Jamal shouting how much better JAX is than NY at the same time that Ngakoue is shouting the exact opposite.  Kinda makes everyone look stupid, which is back page gold for a day or two.

I guess so, if the new team wants to sign them for the contracts they are looking for.

 

Which brings up the question, why would either team want to sign the one guy for the same amount they weren’t willing to sign the other guy for?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The take-home pay after state taxes might make a lower salary more amenable to Jamal. 

NJ: $20M -> $9.98M take home 

FL: $16.3M-> $9.98M take home 

This is all provided he really wants the “20” and that isn’t just posturing.

 

*before a tax guy jumps down my throat, these are loose estimates based on bad math, and if all 16 games were played in these respective states. 

 

TL;DR: Jamal might ask for less money if traded to a state without income taxes. 

..income tax is calculated based on where u play ... The away games are taxed. I know you pointed it out ... But clarifying

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Because neither guy wants to be with their current team and both are good enough to help their new team?  It would all boil down to what Jamal is asking.  If it's $16 mil, a team may bite.  If it's $20 mil, as some have speculated, nobody is trading for him.

FWIW I read that he wanted to be the highest paid Jet which means more than 17 million a year.  Id seen reports that he wanted 20 mill per year and assumed they were BS but now Im not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I'd rather pay an elite pass rusher than an elite safety.

He is a pretty good pass rusher but is such a poor run defender though.  I mentioned this trade to the lone jags fan I know and he was all over it.  Has said there has been no interest in anyone trading for Ngokoue.  He has previously stated he hoped to get a high 2nd and 5th round picks for the guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...