So Mayes to SS and AD to FS

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Maybe.  I think McDougald gets a shot too.  

Who is this McDougald guy. Was he pushed on us by Seattle to take his contract? Seems like it as we really have no need for him. Anyways he can have Jamal’s number. 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Who is this McDougald guy. Was he pushed on us by Seattle to take his contract? Seems like it as we really have no need for him. Anyways he can have Jamal’s number. 

A decent journeyman player.  Is he special?  No, but he is a low level starter who can fill in for now.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Maye is garbage.

But I’m sure you ALL LOVE ASHTYN...

He has potential as a safety with range and coverage skills. We'll see if he's any good, but scouts had him as a potential first round pick if not injured. I think Maye has been alright when not injured. He's never seemed like a liability when on the field.

54 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Now that it is official and Adams is gone I would imagine Mayes goes to SS and AD to FS as I believe Mayes was a SS originally. Thoughts?

Yup, I think it's his natural position in the first place, I don't think it's a huge hit to the defense if Davis is as good as advertised in center field

59 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

He costs ~2.6M a season, it's manageable cost.  Doesn;t seem like a salary dump.

Outside sacks and TFL (nog stats, no doubt), he produces about the same as Adams, a little bit less vs. run, a little more vs. pass.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Might've been Joe's plan all along. 

He has an Average to Good grouping at Safety now and just reallocated resources (both $$ and draft picks) to other parts of the team.

This is an A+ approach to longterm roster building.  I can see Joe D investing those resources in places they'll matter....DE, WR, CB, etc. over the coming years.  And the $$ probably go to Darnold eventually.  

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He has an Average to Good grouping at Safety now and just reallocated resources (both $$ and draft picks) to other parts of the team.

This is an A+ approach to longterm roster building.  I can see Joe D investing those resources in places they'll matter....DE, WR, CB, etc. over the coming years.  And the $$ probably go to Darnold eventually.  

It makes the Davis pick incredible value in hindsight too

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

It makes the Davis pick incredible value in hindsight too

Absolutely.

Had the Jets pulled off a Draft Day trade of Adams, getting some other teams 1st round pick, then everyone in the NFL would know the Jets were looking for a Safety and we may not have gotten Davis.  Or, the Jets would have had to trade up to get him (or someone else).

This is honestly working out almost as well as it possibly could in terms of the timing, the value, the roster planning before making this move, etc.

I'm impressed.  Other teams do this kind of stuff.  The Jets typically don't.  We've been the ones trading up, overpaying, signing guys to completely asinine contracts, etc.

The Jets look like they've finally stepped up from JV to Varsity with this new GM.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Move Maye into Adams role, let McDougald play FS and use Davis as
a "chess piece" as he learns the pro game

Seems like the best lineup to me too

McDougald and his coverage skills to FS and Maye was a SS in college.  

Leaves Davis time to learn the NFL instead of being a target

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He was also projected as a SS by a lot of people and plays well at the line. It’s 50/50. They have 3 players that can play SS/FS but might be more suited at SS. Either way it’s going to be interesting to see how it turns out. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Seems like the best lineup to me too

McDougald and his coverage skills to FS and Maye was a SS in college.  

Leaves Davis time to learn the NFL instead of being a target

Well this just goes to show how little I know! Never knew Maye was a SS in college! Jets must be the only team in the history of the NFL to draft two SS in the two first rounds. Now I am upset! Why weren’t you guys more upset?! Oh wait...

A3DEC72A-AD0A-4ACC-B77E-3CBBE60B6C63.gif

• Upvote 1