We are a worse team today then we were yesterday

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Jd wanted to play hardball so we sent a all pro generational talent at his prime packing. Our roster has been immediately downgraded.

These picks better turn out to be pro bowlers like Jamal or this was a bone head move. JD got fleeced 

No one who gets 2 1s and a 3rd and throws in a 4th 2 years from now for a starting safery got "fleeced" for any position other than maybe QB.

So you think Darnold stinks and Jamal is the reason we won games. Nothing really bears that out.

Maye, Davis, McDougald, Farley, and Owanusor playing the Jamal role  is arguably stronger than 2019 with

Adams, Maye, Miles, and Farley

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Depends on your definition of worse.  I include future capital in the evaluation and future cap issues and chronic clubhouse issues.  We are far better today, looking towards the future, than we were yesterday.  I trust Maye, the rookie and Mcdougald to do just fine.  We won't miss a beat.  You greatly overstate what Adams brought in terms of W-L.  Adams matters way less than most people claim.

The tape says otherwise. Man was everywhere. We will see how less effective the defense is this year. Why on earth do you trust Maye? Man can’t stay healthy. Seems like you all are working extra hard to justify this move based on comments on Twitter not actual football skills

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No one who gets 2 1s and a 3rd and throws in a 4th 2 years from now for a starting safery got "fleeced" for any position other than maybe QB.

So you think Darnold stinks and Jamal is the reason we won games. Nothing really bears that out.

Maye, Davis, McDougald, Farley, and Owanusor playing the Jamal role  is arguably stronger than 2019 with

Adams, Maye, Miles, and Farley

Maye can’t stay healthy. McDougald is an ok player but not a pro bowler. Farley lol do you even watch any tape 

• Thumb Down 3

7 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You do when he wants 17 mil a year(for a safety) with 2 years left on his contract and became a malcontent and whiner after declaring himself a leader. You do when the return is 2 1's plus a 3rd plus a hold the fort safety. Joe D did a great job given the circumstances. 

That’s fine....but we downgraded for 2020. Rookies take years to pan out so downgraded for 2021 to. When do you guys actually want a talented roster? Man you are some cheap folks 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

We lost to the Bengals & Dolphins because we couldn’t stop Dalton or Fitzpatrick from converting 3rd downs. 
Here’s how the scale works for most important players on a team.

1-QB, 2- LT, 3-Pass Rusher, 4- CB, 5- WR, 6- Center (would you rather have Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold or Adams?), 7- LBs, 8- RB, 9- RT, 10-FS, 11-  SS (Box safety). 

Go Jets! Look at the Patriots. Belichick gave Devin McCourty 1/2 of what Adams is looking for. McCourty will make way more plays in coverage than Adams ever will. We’re getting both Mosely & Williamson back to do what GW asked Adams to do last year in their absence. 

Ashtyn davis and mcdougald aren't as big a downgrade as you think. 

I agree on your point about the picks though, he has to nail them. If he does, you're looking at a team that could potentially contend for a Super bowl in the short to medium term. I'm more interested in what could go right than what could go wrong.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Generational

The new over used term of the 2,000's

How many generational player can there be in a generation?

Zeke is generational, now Barkley is generational, Gurley was generational.  But in my generation I saw BSanders, Sweetness, OJ, Dickerson, LT, etc, etc.  So how are these guys generational?  Barkleys had one season and one eh season but hes generational?  

Why don't y'all f-f-f-fade away,

Talkin' bout my generation. 

Don't try to dig what we all say.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The tape says otherwise. Man was everywhere. We will see how less effective the defense is this year. Why on earth do you trust Maye? Man can’t stay healthy. Seems like you all are working extra hard to justify this move based on comments on Twitter not actual football skills

Not working hard at all.  Adams was very good at certain things but was NOT GOOD in coverage at all, despite what so many here claim.  The numbers prove it.  A fking safety is just not worth all this.  He thinks his importance to the team was as much as an all pro CB or something.  Thank God this is over and we can move on.

Get over it.  Adams was good but nowheere near the hype as far as helping the team win games.  We basically raped Pete Carroll, who should know better having gone through this before with a diva safety whose absence made little difference to the outcomes of games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not working hard at all.  Adams was very good at certain things but was NOT GOOD in coverage at all, despite what so many here claim.  The numbers prove it.  A fking safety is just not worth all this.  He thinks his importance to the team was as much as an all pro CB or something.  Thank God this is over and we can move on.

Get over it.  Adams was good but nowheere near the hype as far as helping the team win games.  We basically raped Pete Carroll, who should know better having gone through this before with a diva safety whose absence made little difference to the outcomes of games.

100%

2 firsts for a safety is ******* robbery. Regardless of whether they hit or not, the value is ******* immense. JD's jaw must have hit the floor when the Seahawks agreed. Team made out like bandits on this one.

Seahawks probably think they're close to a Super Bowl. I don't blame them, Russel wilson is in his prime, they have a strong offense and Jamal improves a crappy defense. If they reach another SB, it'd probably be worth the effort to them. Much like it was to the Rams, who took on a huge contract w/ Gurley, over-paid for Cooks, and so on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

saddest thing is that the trade proves that Jets brass doe not believe this team is capable of winning. Major vote of no confidence by mangement.

It wasn't a playoff calibre team, with or without Adams. This is a rebuilding phase. 

Adams is excellent and the better player when compared to McDougald,
there's no debating that.  Therefore the team "on paper" is worse
than before the trade.  But a couple of things have to be remembered:

- Adams numbers were generated because Gregg Williams shifted the 
focus of the defense to him once Mosley was lost.  The BUF game
showed that Mosley was going to be the centerpiece of the defense
and they dominated (TD, safety, 4 turnovers, 0 points allowed) until
he got hurt.  Then they collapsed and gave up 17 points in a quarter
(while Adams was on the field, by the way)

- McDougald is a durable, productive safety who seems to be good in
coverage based on his Passes Defensed numbers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16269/bradley-mcdougald

- With Adams now gone I expect Williams to deploy Maye into the Adams
"hybrid" role.  I believe McDougald will play FS and Davis will get
moved around as a "chess piece" as he learns.  Maye now has a terrific
opportunity to put up numbers and get an extension from the team

- Finally the defense will be put back into the hands of Mosley and 
his "DC gifts".  With a healthy Mosley, Quinnen Williams producing
at an Alabama level (he better) and more talent at the CB position
this defense can be better even without Adams

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Adams numbers were generated because Gregg Williams shifted the 
focus of the defense to him once Mosley was lost.  The BUF game
showed that Mosley was going to be the centerpiece of the defense
and they dominated (TD, safety, 4 turnovers, 0 points allowed) until
he got hurt.  Then they collapsed and gave up 17 points in a quarter
(while Adams was on the field, by the way)

- McDougald is a durable, productive safety who seems to be good in
coverage based on his Passes Defensed numbers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16269/bradley-mcdougald

- With Adams now gone I expect Williams to deploy Maye into the Adams
"hybrid" role.  I believe McDougald will play FS and Davis will get
moved around as a "chess piece" as he learns.  Maye now has a terrific
opportunity to put up numbers and get an extension from the team

Agreed on all points. I'd also add that although I wanted Avery WIlliamson cut for the extra cap room, his return (along with Mosely) will help make up for the loss of Adams in the run game. 

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Jd wanted to play hardball so we sent a all pro generational talent at his prime packing. Our roster has been immediately downgraded.

These picks better turn out to be pro bowlers like Jamal or this was a bone head move. JD got fleeced 

I was a big fan of Adams, but he shot off his mouth. Also picture this, he reports to camp and comes down with some mysterious back injury and he doesn't practice etc. In the end it was all about him and he's a selfish bitch. He had to go.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Glad someone said this.

Defense won't miss a beat without Adams if the LBs play well.

its not as if the team lacks the personnel to make adjustments. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

You don't build teams to win games, you build teams to win championships. Who cares if we went from 8-8 to 7-9 for 1 season. The dradt picks, if used correctly, are building blocks.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The team is marginally worse at SS.

Ashtyn Davis will have MORE picks than Adams this year, book it.  Not saying he’ll be a better player just that to pay a Safety close to QB money he better “do it all”.  Adams does not deserve to be paid like a Ronnie Lott or Troy Palumalu would rightfully be paid...yet that is what Adams demands.

Besides all the picks Douglas scored you don’t have to pay this loud mouth close to 20mill a year which translates into even more roster upgrades.

Joe Douglas just pulled off a “mini Herschel Walker” trade.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Adams was used very wisely by jet coaches for 2 reasons:  1) out of pure necessity, b/c they had no other pass rushers, and 2) to mask deficiencies in coverage.  When he did drop back in coverage he was average at best as noted here often.  He has eh speed and isn’t a great athlete so these coverage flaws are not unexpected.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Just for argument's sake let's say we downgraded 1 position on the field by approx 30%.  Off the field and in the locker room and team culture counts too, doesn't it? 

Answer me this, would you have paid Jamal at this point in his contract?  I surely wouldn't have.  So IMHO all that followed was going to follow.  

So the only thing you're really saying is we should have paid Jamal his ransom.  My glass is half full and yours is half empty so it seems.  Carry on.         

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Just for argument's sake let's say we downgraded 1 position on the field by approx 30%.  Off the field and in the locker room and team culture counts too, doesn't it? 

Answer me this, would you have paid Jamal at this point in his contract?  I surely wouldn't have.  So IMHO all that followed was going to follow.  

So the only thing you're really saying is we should have paid Jamal his random.  My glass is half full and yours is half empty so it seems.  Carry on.         

Yes I would of paid him....just like another team will gladly do and reap the rewards of it 

This is a crap year, so not sure loosing Jamal is going to hurt that much. This is how you build a championship team with a ton of picks - We can use our 3 1sts in next two years to grab an LT, WR, whomever.

Jamal was gone sooner or later. You can't keep a guy long term who not only wants to rip up his contract 2 years early but also wants to be the highest paid player to boot - normally you either give up to get new contract or wait until you are a free agent.

Jamal did neither and insisted on being traded and only to certain teams. This guy was gone sooner or later; getting two 1st round picks (3rd for 4th is pretty even) and a player plus a ton of salary cap next year is a great deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Hate to lose JAs talent, but his antic were not conducive to a tight locker room. In the end, he was a lame duck by way of his ego here. Losing his talent added to losing his distractions probably equals out in the long run.

Hope GW can scheme up a good D with what he has at his disposal now.