We are a worse team today then we were yesterday

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This. 

Also, as a corollary to this, what are we realistically expecting Adams to do to Seattle's W/L record? Seattle was 11-5 last year. How much better does Adams make them? Are they a 13 win team now? Are they clearly the best team in the NFC? 

The reality is, as good as Adams is, it's hard to say anything definitive about what a top strong safety even does for you, in comparison to an average/slightly above average one. 

It will be VERY interesting to see what they do with Adams moving forward.  It's all fine and good to make a splashy trade for a guy still on his rookie deal in an effort to "win now".  But if it doesn't work in the next year or 2 (and I see no reason to believe Adams will play a huge role in a title run), now you're staring at paying him $18-20M a year OR letting him walk after giving up all that draft capital. 

I imagine they'll franchise him twice if need be, given the bargain price a franchised Safety makes compared to all positions other than TE.  But he'll cause a lot of problems in that span, just like he did here.

• Upvote 1

Comparing 2020 Jets defense to 2019 Jets defense.  No doubt losing Adams is a big downgrade.  Somewhat mitigated by the combination of Davis the rookie and McDougald, but still a big loss.

However...

If (and this is a big if) C.J. Mosely is healthy, we have seen that he is a huge disruptive force in just a few quarters. If he is that guy again, that will be a huge uptick.  

If (an even bigger if) QW plays to his potential, then we have another huge uptick.

If both of those things happen, and we get at least average CB play as opposed to what we had last season, this year's defense should be better than last year.  Not as good as it would have been with Jamal, but I'll take just as good or better and the draft picks.  And I'm not even addressing the possibility we get some additional improvement from the other defensive draft picks.  Just looking for those two guys to be healthy and step it up this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Comparing 2020 Jets defense to 2019 Jets defense.  No doubt losing Adams is a big downgrade.  Somewhat mitigated by the combination of Davis the rookie and McDougald, but still a big loss.

However...

If (and this is a big if) C.J. Mosely is healthy, we have seen that he is a huge disruptive force in just a few quarters. If he is that guy again, that will be a huge uptick.  

If (an even bigger if) QW plays to his potential, then we have another huge uptick.

If both of those things happen, and we get at least average CB play as opposed to what we had last season, this year's defense should be better than last year.  Not as good as it would have been with Jamal, but I'll take just as good or better and the draft picks.  And I'm not even addressing the possibility we get some additional improvement from the other defensive draft picks.  Just looking for those two guys to be healthy and step it up this year.

See what Greg Williams thinks of Mosely..

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/what-does-gregg-williams-like-about-the-jets-defense-heading-into-2020

• Sympathy 1

Not as much worse as you would think.  I like Davis plus McDougal.  Add two number 1's and a third round pick.  Adams was a excellent safety but I think we have made up for his loss somewhat but with the additional draft picks I think we could be a better team going forward.  Plus paying a safety that kind of money is crazy.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Listen guys, we get it. You didn’t like jamals twitter feed or that he danced or whatever other Booomer trigger you had. 

Lol not liking Jamals D**chebag routine makes me a 31 year old Boomer.

monty python GIF

I guess being an annoying d-bag with crappy "personality" is just an acceptable young millennial/ Zoomer trait then.

It's like you missed the last 10 months on this board where this asinine dialogue already took place ad nauseum and devolved into what you see before you....

I'm glad he's gone I would have happily taken less.

It will be a couple more weeks of people crying over or celebrating the move and we can finally be done wasting board space on that safety that used to play for the Jets. Someone will Bring it up every once and awhile but it will mostly fade into obscurity. I can only hope the same for Jamal in Seattle... May they roast him eternally for not being worthy of the ransom they paid.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Listen guys, we get it. You didn’t like jamals twitter feed or that he danced or whatever other Booomer trigger you had. You can celebrate getting two first rounders but what you can’t do is somehow make this fantasy land argument that the defense is “better” now due to this move. Many rational posters who disagree with me this is a bad move at least concede hands down we have downgraded the 2020 defense. Please stop trying to justify the move with insane arguments and stick with the coherent draft capital, money etc argument.

Dang...

You are a fool who is obviously delusional. There was no way that he was going to be on this team this year. Put the bottle or the pipe down and think rationally . You are doing nothing but making an ass of  yourself.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Anyone else find it hilarious the Prez didn't finish out his first term in office.?

As if a guy that gives himself the nickname THE PREZ wasn't the first warning this guy was a grade A douche. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

However...

Mosely + Williamson = Adams (Presssure)

The reason Adams was sent after the QB so aggressively is because we were missing two of our best ILB's.  With Mosely and Williamson we should be okay, and with McDougal a known cover-safety, we should be okay.  Same (or more) pressure, same (or more) coverage.

In the end we are better '20 vs. '19 on the strength of a healthy roster plus nice FA and draft moves, and we've got 4 first rounders in the next 2 drafts.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ljr said:

"Team Reporter Olivia Landis"

---

Greg Williams is incredibly well spoken. People may not realize the benefit this defense will get from all the playing time our young players had on defense last year. It was a masterful job. We can be dominant on defense this year.

15 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Pretty sure that's the point.

Exactly! We could take 2 first round wide receivers over the next two years, AND still get 2 first rounders at other positions of need. Or, we now have the draft capital to move up in the draft and get the stud pass rusher we have been missing for decades.

Or, we could have paid a safety $100m.

Imagine if JD had pulled this deal off before this year's draft. In addition to Mims we could have had one of the top receivers. We would have had two new stud receivers.

Glad the hemorrhoid is gone. Can't wait to see the team after JD uses those 3 new picks!

19 hours ago, slats said:

The one year deals are all part of the building thru the draft strategy. Joe watched Ozzie collect comp picks year after year, and he’ll be looking to start adding them as soon as next offseason. 

I’d expect JD to offer extensions to players during the year he wants to retain, and let the players go who he doesn’t want to pay. Heading into the draft with five top 100 picks, the Jets can sit back a little in free agency next year. Sign one or two impact guys, but overall lose more guys than they sign and it’s a couple extra picks in 2022, too (to go along with their extra first that year!). 

Chess baby. Chess. 

Love this post, seems like good insight into JD's approach.