• B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-
  2. 2. What is your agreement with this statement: "Joe Douglass got the absolute best deal he could have reasonably been expected to get in the Adams trade"

• Strong Agree
    • Agree
    • Somewhat Agree
    • Somewhat Disagree
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That trade the Jets pulled off for Jamal Adams was A + .     They receive a lot for non premier position.    How well the Jets draft with those picks will eventually determine that trade grade.      Jets nail the next two drafts they can set up their franchise for the next decade.

Call me cynical, but I've heard this said for almost as many years as I've heard about a ripe pig ... ;-) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

16-32 with Jamal Adams.  Whatever will we do without him?

Technically we could say that about any player on our team.

And much of the league could say it too about their players.

Why don't Dallas just trade Dak for what they can get? Haven't won anything with him.

And so on ...

The only thing I’ll ding JD on is he didn’t get this done before the draft this year. Considering we have zero idea what the future looks like with the draft (and the college season) and how deep some positions of need were in the 2020 draft, I think he did well to set the team up for the future, but hamstrings the present. Also gives Gase another built in excuse. 

• WTF? 1

The trade was so good that even Manish will have begrudgingly write a good article about the trade.

We lost a great player. Hopefully Douglas can hit on draft picks these next few years. It’s all about the draft. The pandemic has really thrown a wrench in the prospect valuation process. 

IMO, JD gets a solid A for this trade. I'd always said ANY deal for Jamal starts with two 1st round draft picks. Way too many dingbats on this site that wanted to deal him the very second they heard they could get a 1st and a 3rd. Honestly, this just proves that so many on this site are thoroughly incompetent when it comes to being a GM. Those people have no concept of value. Those are the people that should keep quiet when discussions of Mac or JD come up - they're clearly worse than Mac. Lol

This deal is ONLY a good deal if JD gets equivalent or better value out of the picks. If he squanders those picks like so many Jets GM's would have. This team has to endure being a laughingstock like they already have been for years. Whether JD likes it or not his career is forever linked to the Jamal Adams trade. If he f*cks this up? He gets fired and he'll NEVER get another GM job. If he picks excellent players and the Jets win the SB? He looks like a genius for making that trade. My point is only the future will tell us if trading Jamal was a wise choice.

11 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

A+

I would've taken a first and a third for him.  TWO firsts and a third?  And a decent "hold the fort
safety for the 4th rounder!

I’m happy to see him gone, but not quite as thrilled with the haul as some here.  The first rders will be late first rders and one is a 2022 pick meaning it is equal to a late second in draft currency. The third will be late in exchange for a mid fourth.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well sure there was a reason. He was already unhappy, vocal about it, outright publicly calling the GM a liar, and frankly the Jets already seemed resigned to not spending $20MM+/year on a friggin' box safety (let alone after just 3 seasons when they had him locked up for about that amount for the upcoming three; presumably Douglas can add and multiply).

Beyond that you can certainly believe what you like. Your personal preference aside, a current mid-teen 1st rounder carries a higher trade value than a pick in the mid-20s a year later plus another in the mid-20s a year after that. Expecting them to be lower-half 20s picks because of adding future HOFer Jamal Adams. 

And it's good to see you more yourself, other than the lack of insults hurled my way. You're allowed ;).

In Feb JD said he wanted to make Jamal a Jet for life.  He would open contract talks.  After is when the real conflict started when those talks didnt lead to a deal and Jamal for some reason felt slighted.  I assume as the best player on the team, a 2x pro bowl and and all pro who is viewed as the best at his position, they knew he was going to want $15-$20 mi.  $20 mil is the perfect match to the Dallas conversation, makes it two subjects talked about as if they were facts, two that no one knows was fact.  

Youre right, I dont agree that a 17 is worth more than 2 !'s in the 20s.  And the draft value chart on pro football reference doesnt agree with your statement that the 1y is worth more.  Dallas 17 is worth 950.  Seatttles pick is 680.  Quick math is around 1360 to 950.  Then add is a pretty decent player with starting ability to the trade.  Hardly the case of Dallas's pick was far superior as you stated.  And no matter the #s, I take two players who as 1st should start over one.  Every day, all day.

Its the new me, the post COVID-19 redo.  No insults, just football talk, for fun.  All the youre lucky to be alive talk by doctors puts a different perspective on things.  Hope your not disappointed, LOL ?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The only thing I’ll ding JD on is he didn’t get this done before the draft this year. Considering we have zero idea what the future looks like with the draft (and the college season) and how deep some positions of need were in the 2020 draft, I think he did well to set the team up for the future, but hamstrings the present. Also gives Gase another built in excuse. 

Wait the haters case was that Adams doesnt move the needle.  That hes a glorified LB who's sacks were schemed, anyone could do what Adams did for the Jets.  That S's dont move the needle.  That McDougalds numbers are so similar.  That Davis is a capable replacement.

Now its different, we're hamstrung?  And Gase gets an excuse because if we dont win its because of that S?  LOL

Also no one knows what the draft will look like in the offseason, every draft changes from what we think in July to April.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No you wouldn't. No one would. You're just (understandably) excited about the trade.

You absolutely would not trade pick #17 this year - in a draft with no evaluation disadvantages, which is further stacked up top at our top positional needs - for presumed pick around #27 next year and another in the same range the year after that.

You'd do it - maybe, depending on how the board looks at that time - if you were getting back #27 this year plus #27 next year. But not #27 next year plus #27 in year 3. No way.

I understand the value aspect, how next year’s picks are generally graded down a round. The Jets are downgraded this season. That’s a fact. Also a fact is that not many people see the Jets as a playoff team this year. People were happy with JD’s first draft, but generally felt we were another year away. 

Now next year, the Jets have extra 1st & 3rd round picks. Seattle may have a deep playoff run, but the Jets will still have five picks in the top 100. And Seattle is in a very tough division. Anything could happen there. 

The following year, the Jets get Seattle’s #1 again while the Jets send them a 4th rounder. Seattle will be paying Adams at least $10M, with a huge extension on the way, while the Jets are free and clear. 

So yeah, the paper value is lower. We don’t have CeeDee Lamb right now. But the Jets are set up for the long haul. This is the beauty of a six-year contract and a patient executive. The next two years, those aren’t going to feel like “future picks,” they’re gonna feel like, “holy **** that’s right, we got another first rounder for Jamal coming!” 

The team would be better today with the ‘Boys trade, but they’ll almost certainly be better over the next three years with this one. 

• Upvote 3

I don't know man. How did it get out of control?  Seems to me the Jets were in complete control the entire time.  Said all of the right things throughout the whole offseason.  Never responded to any of Jamals attempts to bait them into a pissing match.  Even the coaches came out and supported him after he asked for a trade.  
If they didn't get a deal like this one, Jamal was going to have to play for the Jets for a minimum of 2 more seasons. The Jets had every single chip in this one.  I think the Jets played this masterfully and any doubt that we have a legitimate NFL GM should be dashed on the rocks after today. 
I like JD alot and am certainly not saying he did not get us more than fair compensation for this trade. What we did wrong was allow Jamal to keep going to social media and making our team look bad. I don't know what triggered him to do so but it was more than just money, we will never know what went on behind the scenes but I do find it concerning that this is not the first player to blast our new regime publicly over what they believe was the mishandling of whatever their situation was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait the haters case was that Adams doesnt move the needle.  That hes a glorified LB who's sacks were schemed, anyone could do what Adams did for the Jets.  That S's dont move the needle.  That McDougalds numbers are so similar.  That Davis is a capable replacement.

Now its different, we're hamstrung?  And Gase gets an excuse because if we dont win its because of that S?  LOL

Also no one knows what the draft will look like in the offseason, every draft changes from what we think in July to April.

Okay but you’re applying arguments I didn’t make to try to bring mine down. Adams was a key piece in making the Greg Williams defense work. The trade hamstrings the defense a bit in what they’re able to do because of how versatile he was. That said, yes he doesn’t win or lose you games on his own but he was a solid piece on an otherwise average defense. You hope the rookie and the replacement can get some things done but schematically they won’t be able to do all he did. But they may benefit from better coverage, even if there is less of a pass rush. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Okay but you’re applying arguments I didn’t make to try to bring mine down. Adams was a key piece in making the Greg Williams defense work. The trade hamstrings the defense a bit in what they’re able to do because of how versatile he was. That said, yes he doesn’t win or lose you games on his own but he was a solid piece on an otherwise average defense. You hope the rookie and the replacement can get some things done but schematically they won’t be able to do all he did. But they may benefit from better coverage, even if there is less of a pass rush. 

I said haters said....

58 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I like JD alot and am certainly not saying he did not get us more than fair compensation for this trade. What we did wrong was allow Jamal to keep going to social media and making our team look bad. I don't know what triggered him to do so but it was more than just money, we will never know what went on behind the scenes but I do find it concerning that this is not the first player to blast our new regime publicly over what they believe was the mishandling of whatever their situation was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I hear ya but I respectfully disagree. 

The problems here were simple and petty. It all started when Jamal got asked to take a seat at the end of the Cleveland game. That's how stuck this young man is. He's still upset about that. Then the trade deadline stuff where he went around the GM to complain to the owner because his feelings were hurt.  That was who most likely promised him an extension in January by the way.  Not Douglas. Chris Johnson made nicey nice with Jamal and made promises without talking to JD.  

The Jets allowed him to show his true character these past months. Think about if a first time GM traded Adams at the trade deadline. The fan base would have turned on them in a hard way. Maybe a banner or two? lol

Instead 80%, if not more, of the fan base is really saying good riddance after trading our one superstar.  It's really quite beautiful actually.  Then to get the value we just received is unbelievable. 

The other players you mention are KO and Enunwa. Two guys  who really shouldn't be talking. Enunwa got the gift of gifts and would Do well to show some gratitude, but instead pulled a no call no show. The Jets let him know that wouldn't fly. KO quit on the team. Period.  Unless I'm forgetting something I don't see either of those issues as a problem. The Jets come out of this squeaky clean Imo. And I am excited to have a top notch GM who is already proving to be the most talented we've ever had. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

Technically we could say that about any player on our team.

And much of the league could say it too about their players.

Why don't Dallas just trade Dak for what they can get? Haven't won anything with him.

And so on ...

The Cowboys have won 2 division titles and a playoff game with Dak Prescott, including a 13-3 season.

Not a very good analogy. 

10 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The Jets finally recouped the draft capital they lost in the Darnold up. Ideally the previous GM could have used the 3rd overall pick to trade down and put some pieces around him.

Sucks that this trade really doesn’t do much help Darnold/Gase in critical years. 

Sure it does.  We just freed up the cap space to go out and spend big on a free agent WR this offseason, if we so choose.  Like Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Kenny Golladay, T.Y. Hilton or Cooper Kupp (all scheduled FA's after 2020), among others.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

In Feb JD said he wanted to make Jamal a Jet for life.  He would open contract talks.  After is when the real conflict started when those talks didnt lead to a deal and Jamal for some reason felt slighted.  I assume as the best player on the team, a 2x pro bowl and and all pro who is viewed as the best at his position, they knew he was going to want $15-$20 mi.  $20 mil is the perfect match to the Dallas conversation, makes it two subjects talked about as if they were facts, two that no one knows was fact.  

Youre right, I dont agree that a 17 is worth more than 2 !'s in the 20s.  And the draft value chart on pro football reference doesnt agree with your statement that the 1y is worth more.  Dallas 17 is worth 950.  Seatttles pick is 680.  Quick math is around 1360 to 950.  Then add is a pretty decent player with starting ability to the trade.  Hardly the case of Dallas's pick was far superior as you stated.  And no matter the #s, I take two players who as 1st should start over one.  Every day, all day.

Its the new me, the post COVID-19 redo.  No insults, just football talk, for fun.  All the youre lucky to be alive talk by doctors puts a different perspective on things.  Hope your not disappointed, LOL ?

No, you’re reading the chart wrong. You’re assuming - incorrectly - that a pick next year carries the same trade value as a pick this year. Then you’re compounding the mistake & doubling down on it by further assuming a pick 2 years from now carries the same trade value as a pick today in that same slot.

That’s not how draft pick trades are valued. Look at the trade for the pick that became Brandon Shell. Macc traded a Jets’ 2017 4th rounder so he could add a 5th rounder in the 2016 draft. That is how draft picks are valued in the NFL. So next year’s pick #25 (or whatever number) is worth less than pick #25 this year. Pick #25 two years from now is worth still less in trade. 

I’m thoroughly enjoying the new Nut. Glad to still have you around here.

14 hours ago, slats said:

I understand the value aspect, how next year’s picks are generally graded down a round. The Jets are downgraded this season. That’s a fact. Also a fact is that not many people see the Jets as a playoff team this year. People were happy with JD’s first draft, but generally felt we were another year away. 

Now next year, the Jets have extra 1st & 3rd round picks. Seattle may have a deep playoff run, but the Jets will still have five picks in the top 100. And Seattle is in a very tough division. Anything could happen there. 

The following year, the Jets get Seattle’s #1 again while the Jets send them a 4th rounder. Seattle will be paying Adams at least $10M, with a huge extension on the way, while the Jets are free and clear. 

So yeah, the paper value is lower. We don’t have CeeDee Lamb right now. But the Jets are set up for the long haul. This is the beauty of a six-year contract and a patient executive. The next two years, those aren’t going to feel like “future picks,” they’re gonna feel like, “holy **** that’s right, we got another first rounder for Jamal coming!” 

The team would be better today with the ‘Boys trade, but they’ll almost certainly be better over the next three years with this one. 

Perhaps yes, but perhaps no. Everything changes everything so one doesn’t know the result of the butterfly effect.

Maybe we’d have drafted Lamb and he’d have been a total bust; in that case what we’ve got now is ridiculously better. Maybe we’d have also kept our original 2nd rounder and would have taken some overvalued college stud whose game doesn’t translate as well to the next level, making the team that much better still this way.

Maybe Mims will always have nagging injuries that prevent him from reaching his potential (or perhaps that potential was overrated from the start), but just enough of a tease that Douglas steers clear of acquiring other WRs in his stead, in which case this is not only worse short term but also long term. Maybe we’d have doubled up on the OL and still ended up with Mims, and the team would have been better off long term because the guard we reach for with Seattle’s 1st rounder never turns into a reliable starter (let alone a stud). 

There’s also the other aspect, which I’ve brought up twice and others have mentioned before that, which is the 2021 pick(s) may be outright busts because we weren’t able to properly evaluate them after this covid college season. Unless that extra 2022 pick is gangbusters out of the gate, this superior long term value wouldn’t be realized until 2023 or 2024 when he hits his stride. 

Hard to say which is more valuable. The picks on paper are worth less this way, but picks don’t take the field; the prospects we drafted with those picks do. Also I said from the start it’s not known such a trade offer was even on the table; only that Dallas was interested in trading for Adams within the past year and they had a pick right around what Adams’ value should have been, but as likely as not Dallas valued their cheap #17 pick more than Jamal Adams seeking $22MM/year.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, you’re reading the chart wrong. You’re assuming - incorrectly - that a pick next year carries the same trade value as a pick this year. Then you’re compounding the mistake & doubling down on it by further assuming a pick 2 years from now carries the same trade value as a pick today in that same slot.

That’s not how draft pick trades are valued. Look at the trade for the pick that became Brandon Shell. Macc traded a Jets’ 2017 4th rounder so he could add a 5th rounder in the 2016 draft. That is how draft picks are valued in the NFL. So next year’s pick #25 (or whatever number) is worth less than pick #25 this year. Pick #25 two years from now is worth still less in trade. 

I’m thoroughly enjoying the new Nut. Glad to still have you around here.

I'm dont see how I'm reading their chart wrong, those were the numbers given for the Dallas slot and Seattles slot this year.  Why would the Seattle slot be worth less next year?  And what changes for Seattles slot of 25 that doesnt also reduce the value of 17?   

I had said earlier, I dont care about charts etc.  I would rather have two players who should start, contribute if picked correctly in the 1st than one.  Bottom half of the first picks are more hit and miss, 17 not less than 25

Funny how lifes priorities can and have changed Sperm.  Passion is still there but trying to bludgeon people with the message isnt worth it anymore.  But one thing, I'm very happy to be back, thanks!!!

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm dont see how I'm reading their chart wrong, those were the numbers given for the Dallas slot and Seattles slot this year.  Why would the Seattle slot be worth less next year?  And what changes for Seattles slot of 25 that doesnt also reduce the value of 17?   

I had said earlier, I dont care about charts etc.  I would rather have two players who should start, contribute if picked correctly in the 1st than one.  Bottom half of the first picks are more hit and miss, 17 not less than 25

Funny how lifes priorities can and have changed Sperm.  Passion is still there but trying to bludgeon people with the message isnt worth it anymore.  But one thing, I'm very happy to be back, thanks!!!

Because 2021 picks are next year’s picks. It’s arbitrary, but the consensus is that future picks’ value diminish by one round for every year out they are. So the 2020 #17 is worth what it’s worth, but the 2021 first would be valued as a second for for trade purposes. 

I tend to agree that a pick is a pick, but they needed to devalue future picks somehow because, as we see with this trade, Seattle wins for 2020. Hands down, they improved their SS position and the Jets downgraded theirs. But when the Jets are preparing for the draft next year, it’ll be with two firsts and two thirds while Seattle waits for the second day to make their first pick, and the third day to make their second. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, slats said:

Because 2021 picks are next year’s picks. It’s arbitrary, but the consensus is that future picks’ value diminish by one round for every year out they are. So the 2020 #17 is worth what it’s worth, but the 2021 first would be valued as a second for for trade purposes. 

I tend to agree that a pick is a pick, but they needed to devalue future picks somehow because, as we see with this trade, Seattle wins for 2020. Hands down, they improved their SS position and the Jets downgraded theirs. But when the Jets are preparing for the draft next year, it’ll be with two firsts and two thirds while Seattle waits for the second day to make their first pick, and the third day to make their second. 

I can get the point that next years picks can be worth less than this years draft picks but as I said earlier there is nothing that says there was a trade proposal with Dallas Before last years draft, I’m operating under the idea there wasn’t going to be a trade until the last month And change when Jamal stepped up the pressure criticizing, Woody, then JD and really attacking Gase.  
His list of teams etc were also post draft.  So a Dallas trade would have been for next season, if the values change for next year they should change for both slots, right?  
And through it all I still think a first, in the mid 20s should bring a starter just like 17 should.  I’ll still prefer 2 starters to one every time. 

I think Sperm is forgetting one important issue here:

The "trade" last year would have included Adam's services in 2020. If Jamal had played with the Cowboys for 9 games in 2020 then we wouldn't be talking about a #17 pick in the 2020 draft. The Cowboys wouldn't have lost 5 of their last 9 games, they would have had a better record, won their division, made the playoffs, and their #17 pick in the 2020 draft would have been lower - perhaps substantially lower. This is (of course) assuming that Adams would have helped them win games.

Also, in theory it's OK to say that draft picks in future years is less than a draft pick today. However in reality it does work out quite that way. If you want to deal with someone and want the highest "near term value" (say two #1 next year) your pool of available partners just dropped because very few teams have that resource to give. With less teams bargaining for your asset, your asset has less value.

The difference between theory and reality can be seen in another way. Take the trade as it happened as an example. The supposition is that the trade as it was consumated is equal to getting Seattle's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks next year. In theory this might be true, but in reality no team is going to give up all of their top draft choices in one single draft for a player - unless perhaps for a "generational" QB.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I can get the point that next years picks can be worth less than this years draft picks but as I said earlier there is nothing that says there was a trade proposal with Dallas Before last years draft, I’m operating under the idea there wasn’t going to be a trade until the last month And change when Jamal stepped up the pressure criticizing, Woody, then JD and really attacking Gase.  
His list of teams etc were also post draft.  So a Dallas trade would have been for next season, if the values change for next year they should change for both slots, right?  
And through it all I still think a first, in the mid 20s should bring a starter just like 17 should.  I’ll still prefer 2 starters to one every time. 

I said in the opening post with this discussion that it was only IF there was such an offer then this is worth less in trade.

I don’t agree that Douglas or Gase was hell-bent on keeping Adams until this past month. Either/both of them (or anyone in the Jets’ FO) said what they did because otherwise it is a totally unnecessary, self-inflicted wound that eliminates their fallback position of eventually extending Adams. They’d be cutting their own balls off if they told the world they want to dump him no matter how low the top offer is. 

Another way of looking at it, and I think the more accurate way, is to look at the actual series of events, both known and presumed: 

• Douglas surely caught wind of the kind of numbers Adams was seeking, and further that he’d be seeking it already in the 2020 season.
  • So he made it known that he was open to trading Adams as early as the week(s) leading into the 2019 trade deadline.
  • That didn’t go off the table after the season, and there isn’t a GM in the league that held back from making an offer because of the thought, “Oh well, I guess now the Jets want to keep Adams forever; I best not waste my valuable time making any offers.” They all know what was going on because they play the same game with their own players they’d like to move if the right offer came in.
  • It makes no sense to have a desire to trade Adams in October and then want to keep him - with no extension, much to the player’s dismay - after the season is over. Douglas gives Adams some lip service about looking into his contract/extension after the season without actually being committal on it. (e.g. something like, “Well we can’t extend you by CBA mandate at this time, but we all agree here you’ve outplayed your rookie deal and will address it after this season,” where “address it” can mean 2 different things depending on one’s POV).
  • Adams interprets that as a team promise to give him an extension. Yet no extension came. 
  • It leaks to the public Adams is not only still insulted about being on the trade block in Oct, but is miffed about not getting a huge pay raise. He wasn’t exactly secretive about his discontent. Still no offer came in from the Jets, who continued to pay mere lip service about wanting Jamal around for the long term, but without putting their money where their mouth is.
  • From whichever camp I don’t recall, but the public becomes aware of the Adams demands/desires to be paid like one of the league’s top defenders, “well above” $20MM per season. 
  • The draft came and went without a good enough offer. Douglas was supposedly still seeking two 1st rounders (or that was his opening line in the sand before actual close offers came in). Even the biggest Adams fans thought that was unrealistic.
  • Then after the draft Adams tried other ways of taking matters into his own hands, including tweeting a list of teams he’d be willing to go to without an extension until after the season. Still no movement from the Jets because there was no offer good enough. Also offers probably dried up in part because in the spring the prospect of a season looked closer to 50-50 (or at times, worse).
  • It’s now late July. The league and NFLPA have reached agreements. The season is now just weeks away and - barring a major uptick in covid spread - every indication now points to them playing. 
  • Training camp is about to start. There’s also an additional news leak that Woody made some bigoted comments, and Adams calls him out on it. 
  • Pete Carroll has an unhealthy obsession with the SS position, yet his own SS sucks (12 missed tackles in 14 games is an eyepopping number) and is a UFA after the season anyway. Carroll comes in with the Douglas Dream of two 1st round picks (plus a little padding, since he gets the player now but doesn’t have to give up anything until next year).
  • The 2020 draft is already in the rear view mirror so this is the best offer Douglas can get (unless a worse team made the same offer, which couldn’t happen because only a current contender with a specific SS hole/need would make such an offer in the first place). 

The too-simple (if not wishful) way of looking at it is, “Adams criticized Woody so they traded him.” A whole lot happened in addition to that, and with the recent announcements/agreements that the season is moving forward, and it’s just convenient to ignore it all. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I think Sperm is forgetting one important issue here:

The "trade" last year would have included Adam's services in 2020. If Jamal had played with the Cowboys for 9 games in 2020 then we wouldn't be talking about a #17 pick in the 2020 draft. The Cowboys wouldn't have lost 5 of their last 9 games, they would have had a better record, won their division, made the playoffs, and their #17 pick in the 2020 draft would have been lower - perhaps substantially lower. This is (of course) assuming that Adams would have helped them win games.

Also, in theory it's OK to say that draft picks in future years is less than a draft pick today. However in reality it does work out quite that way. If you want to deal with someone and want the highest "near term value" (say two #1 next year) your pool of available partners just dropped because very few teams have that resource to give. With less teams bargaining for your asset, your asset has less value.

The difference between theory and reality can be seen in another way. Take the trade as it happened as an example. The supposition is that the trade as it was consumated is equal to getting Seattle's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks next year. In theory this might be true, but in reality no team is going to give up all of their top draft choices in one single draft for a player - unless perhaps for a "generational" QB.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

No, I’m not forgetting. The trade offer at the deadline in 2019 did not include the 1st round pick in 2020. That was about player(s)-for-player(s) swap, and Dallas balked at Douglas’s asking price.

I was referring to the possibility of an offer from Dallas AFTER the 2019 season was over and the draft slot was already known. We discussed it here plenty, and the reason was simple: Dallas expressed interest in him before, so they’d be the most likely to have the greatest interest now. Plus their pick isn’t too high (nor too low). 

In actuality we have no knowledge - not even a rumor - that Dallas in fact offered their 1st round pick. It’s just that if they did make such an offer, leading up to the draft, then this would amount to a lesser trade on paper.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The too-simple (if not wishful) way of looking at it is, “Adams criticized Woody so they traded him.” A whole lot happened in addition to that, and with the recent announcements/agreements that the season is moving forward, and it’s just convenient to ignore it all. 

And that argument would be severely flawed given the information we've seen suggesting this trade had been in the works for a month, well before the Woody situation came to the forefront.

• Upvote 2

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:25 AM, shawn306 said:

I give it an A for the haul he got. Flat out stunning.

it doesn’t make the Jets better in 2020 and for Douglas he has to hit on the these picks.

agreed !.. also,... i think our gm has more  " tradin' to do "   :beer: