How things look for the Jets moving forward post-Jamal (2021-22 offseasons)

Per overthecap.com (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), with Adams being traded, the Jets now save $3.5M in 2020 cap space.  We now should have about $25.2M in cap space for any remaining moves Douglas would like to make this offseason.

We also suffer a $3.5M in dead cap hit, which will impact the 2021 cap.  We also save the $9.9M in 2021 cap space that Adams would have been due, for a 2021 net gain in cap space of $6.4M.  

If the cap drops to $175M next season (the minimum as noted in the NFLPA-NFL COVID agreement), we'll be projected to have about $15M in cap space.  That could go up, however, depending on how much revenue ends up coming in.  

Scheduled Free agents after 2020 include:

• S Bradley McDougald (acquired from Seattle)
  • S Marcus Maye
  • ILB Avery Williamson
  • OLB Jordan Jenkins
  • CB Pierre Desir
  • CB Brian Poole
  • CB Arthur Maulet
  • NT Steve McLendon
  • WR Breshad Perriman
  • QB Joe Flacco
  • RB Frank Gore
  • OLB Tarell Basham
  • ILB Patrick Onwuasor
  • G Brian Winters
  • G Josh Andrews
  • C Jonotthan Harrison
  • ILB Neville Hewitt
  • ILB James Burgess
  • CB Nate Hairston
  • CB Quincy Wilson
  • WR Josh Doctson
  • QB David Fales

A long list of fairly significant FA's for sure, as created by the many 1-year deals JD signed.  But that should also lead to comp picks down the road.

We'll be able to free up additional 2021 cap space through the release/trade of the following:

• RB Le'Veon Bell ($9M savings; $4M dead cap hit in 2022)
  • WR Jamison Crowder ($10.5M savings; $1M dead cap)
  • DE Henry Anderson ($8.2M savings; $1.3M dead cap)
  • WR Quincy Enunwa ($6M savings; $3.6M dead cap)
  • OT George Fant ($7.4M savings; $2M dead cap)
  • G Alex Lewis ($5.4M savings; $1.7M dead cap)

Some of these players won't get cut or traded.  Crowder, in particular; I imagine we may try to extend or restructure his deal to ease the 2021 cap hit.  

Still, these 6 players can rack up a hefty bit of cap savings, up to $46.5M.  So even in a worst-case scenario where the cap is set at $175M, the Jets will be in very good shape financially compared to the rest of the league.

Meanwhile, we have the following picks in 2021/22 to work with:

2021 picks (as many as 11):

• Jets 1st
  • Seahawks 1st
  • Jets 2nd
  • Jets 3rd
  • Seahawks 3rd
  • Jets 4th
  • Giants 5th
  • Jets 5th
  • Jets 6th (unconfirmed; may have received this pick back from NE in a 2020 draft trade down)
  • Jets 7th
  • Seahawks 7th (conditional; depends on playing time/performance of CB Parry Nickerson, sent to Seattle in trade)

2022 picks (7):

• Jets 1st
  • Seahawks 1st
  • Jets 2nd
  • Jets 3rd
  • Jets 5th
  • Jets 6th
  • Jets 7th

That's a lot of resources available to Joe Douglas over the next 2 offseasons.

Keep in mind that the following are among the list of scheduled 2021 free agents (UFAs) that may be of interest to the Jets:

WR

• Chris Godwin
  • JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Allen Robinson
  • Keenan Allen
  • Cooper Kupp
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Marvin Jones
  • Will Fuller
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Larry Fitzgerald
  • A.J. Green
  • Corey Davis
  • Curtis Samuel
  • Kenny Stills
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Tajae Sharpe
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • John Ross
  • David Moore

Offensive Line

• G Brandon Scherff
  • G Joe Thuney
  • G Pat Elflein (Vikings)
  • G Austin Blythe (Rams)
  • G Dan Feeney (Chargers)
  • RT Matt Feiler (Steelers)
  • RT Mike Remmers (Giants)
  • RT Germain Ifedi (Seahawks)
  • G Mike Iupati (Seahawks)
  • G Lane Taylor (Packers)
  • G/T Darryl Williams (Panthers)
  • G/T Caleb Benenoch (Buccaneers)

EDGE

• Joey Bosa
  • Yannick Ngakoue
  • Shaquil Barrett
  • Bud Dupree
  • Matt Judon
  • Justin Houston
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Olivier Vernon
  • Bruce Irvin
  • Tyrone Crawford
  • Vic Beasley

CB

• Patrick Peterson
  • Jalen Ramsey
  • Richard Sherman
  • Xavier Rhodes
  • Jason McCourty
  • Ronald Darby
  • Prince Amukamara
  • Shaquill Griffin
  • Chidobe Awuzie
  • Desmond King (FS/CB)
  • Kevin King
  • Bashaud Breeland
  • Jason Verrett
  • Michael Davis
  • Vernon Hargreaves
  • T.J. Carrie

RB

• Alvin Kamara
  • Dalvin Cook
  • Joe Mixon
  • Aaron Jones
  • Kenyan Drake
  • Leonard Fournette
  • Chris Carson
  • James Conner
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Todd Gurley
  • Tevin Coleman
  • Damien Williams
  • Matt Breida
  • James White
  • Tarik Cohen
  • Adrian Peterson
  • Mike Davis
  • Dion Lewis
  • Upvote 2

Going into today, this was one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. It just got a lot worse going into Training Camp.

I'm not into fantasies about who's going to be a FA in '21, and who we can draft in two years. We have 6 weeks before the '20 season starts.

Camp opens in 3 days. All I care about is what this team will do on  this year, and whether or not Sam can prove he's a FQB. When the season is over, there will be plenty of time for the other stuff.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

OL OL AND MORE OL

Depends on how the current crop of OL replacements do.  Obviously we should hopefully have our franchise LT plus an upper tier C in McGovern (27 yrs old) for the foreseeable future.

Fant I imagine will be considered a band-aid even if he performs well, and we'll need at least one upgrade at Guard.  Fortunately, those spots can be addressed without having to use high picks or a lot of cap dollars.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Depends on how the current crop of OL replacements do.  Obviously we should hopefully have our franchise LT plus an upper tier C in McGovern (27 yrs old) for the foreseeable future.

Fant I imagine will be considered a band-aid even if he performs well, and we'll need at least one upgrade at Guard.  Fortunately, those spots can be addressed without having to use high picks or a lot of cap dollars.

still need more.

13 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Going into today, this was one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. It just got a lot worse going into Training Camp.

I'm not into fantasies about who's going to be a FA in '21, and who we can draft in two years. We have 6 weeks before the '20 season starts.

Camp opens in 3 days. All I care about is what this team will do on  this year, and whether or not Sam can prove he's a FQB. When the season is over, there will be plenty of time for the other stuff.   

Agreed, the most important question this year. Not far behind, though......can Gase get this offense to click?  Is Q gonna show he's really a difference maker, or just a product of playing with numerous really good players in college?

• Upvote 1

One thing is for certain is Douglas has all the assets in the world to build this team however he wants. He has his QB in place and he has all the cap room and draft picks in the world to make it work. Should be interesting to see how long it takes for him to build a contender. (I don’t think it’ll be that long)

• Upvote 2

"Least talented roster" is just complete BS. We are signiicantly better than last year roster wise and we were not the worst roster last year either. Plus safety is better today than it was in 2019.  Jets roster is both much better and much deeper than people realize.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

People like you always confuse me.

We suck.

we need to reubuild.

we were never winning the superbowl this year.

0-16 and the team that loses in the superbowl are the same: losers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Got a lot worse?

Jamal Adams will be totally forgotten by game 8.  People will look back and say "Now just what did he do to make us so much better?"  And will come up with nothing.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Got a lot worse?

Jamal Adams will be totally forgotten by game 8.  People will look back and say "Now just what did he do to make us so much better?"  And will come up with nothing.

Especially as they watch McDougald pick off his 3rd pass of the season with 8 games still to go.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Especially as they watch McDougald pick off his 3rd pass of the season with 8 games still to go.

Hoping we see a Wayne Chrebet moment from McDougald this year.  Remember, after the Jets traded Keyshawn Johnson to Tampa Bay the Jets went down there and won the game on TD reception by Chrebet.  Anyone who remembers the situation between Keyshawn and Chrebet knows this was a bit of a revenge moment.

Would love to see the Jets pull off a huge upset against Seattle with McDougald picking off Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Got a lot worse?

Sure.  We got worse.  But he is missing the big picture.  Let's just say that the Jets tomorrow traded Mikal Becton to the Giants for their next 10 #1 draft picks in the next 10 years.  Would the Jets be better this year, or not?

They would not be better.  But they would have the next 10 years of the Giants #1 draft picks.

A very ridiculous argument.  Add to the fact that the Jets were not going to the Super Bowl this year, and the argument of the Jets being worse off this year is even more absurd.  

The point is that it is the GM's job to build a Super Bowl contender for the future,  not make the team better this year, so that the Jets could be 8-8 instead of 7-9 or 6-10.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Meanwhile, about 15-20 teams in the league will look like this with a $175M cap:

scared on fire GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Eagles:  $94M over the cap
  • Saints:  $74M over
  • Falcons:  $41M over
  • Chiefs:  $28M over
  • Texans:  $19M over
  • Steelers:  $16M over
  • Bears:  $13M over
  • Vikings:  $14M over
  • Raiders:  $11M over

I think some of you are selling Gase and Greg Williams short? We lost Williamson and Mosley by the fourth quarter of the first game last year.

We literally were taking guys off the street that I have never heard of and were very productive.

The Jets became a way better team by trading away Adams because of everything he was doing off the field. I'm very sure between Maye, Macdougald and Davis, we can make up for whatever he did on the field.

I am very much so looking forward to not seeing Adams out there, and I have faith in our coaching staff.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think some of you are selling Gase and Greg Williams short? We lost Williamson and Mosley by the fourth quarter of the first game last year.

The anger misdirected at Gase should really be towards Macc for his systematic destruction of an already bad roster over 5 years.  This is still a bottom 5 roster.

It's not mutually exclusive to suggest Gase sucks too.  I myself think he sucks, and isn't the long-term answer for this team as a HC.  But he deserves a bit of a grace period all the same.  

I didn't mention Gase in the OP, because he's largely inconsequential to the Jets' future when compared to the many rebuilding steps still needed to fixing the roster.  Whether he's here or not in 2021 or 2022 doesn't matter much to me.

And in the end I'll be eternally grateful to Gase for ridding us of Macc and essentially hiring Douglas.  All hail Emperor Gase.

On 7/26/2020 at 1:08 PM, Arsis said:

People like you always confuse me.

We suck.

we need to reubuild.

we were never winning the superbowl this year.

0-16 and the team that loses in the superbowl are the same: losers.

It’s fans like that, that would make our other GMs to make moves like extending Adams, sign Clowney

hope to go 8-8, rinse, repeat, mediocrity for the next 5 years

Douglas has a plan, a patient plan, and I love it 

Edited by Obrien2Toon
  • Upvote 2

@Jetsfan80 Good thread btw!

Of the list of pending Jets free agents I actually would only keep about 7 of them next year. Desir, Poole, Burgess, Hewitt, Maye, Perriman and we'll see how Macdougald pans out with Davis in the mix.

To me the rest are just Jags, special teamers, and bottom of the roster guys and we know that's always in flux.

I also think Crowder will be a Mainstay here for a few years and he's not going anywhere. I also would like to go out on a limb and say that George Fant is going to surprise, and be a lot more steady and sturdy then some of us think. Sayonara to everybody else on that part of your list lol!

As far as your UFA list, that's one hell of a wish list! But we all know we may only get one or two of those guys. As for Bosa, Godwin, Kupp, Schuster, Ramsey and Kamara.. that's just pipe dreams.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

As far as your UFA list, that's one hell of a wish list! But we all know we may only get one or two of those guys. As for Bosa, Godwin, Kupp, Schuster, Ramsey and Kamara.. that's just pipe dreams.

Haha that wasn't my "wishlist" per say.  I listed quite a few guys on there that I'm not interested in, in the name of being comprehensive.

Basically just pointing that the 2020 FA class is an intriguing one.  Even if very few of those names actually make it to free agency.

• Upvote 1