Trade Value Chart: Adams - Mack - Ramsey

I think the Mack contract issue was a little further along.  He had already played 4 years and was legit holding out on the option.  I think Ramsey and Adams were in pretty much the same place.  

I think Mack had more leverage because positional value was on his side. A lot of folks derided the deal for the Raiders, but the Bears probably have to regret that one now.

In Adam's case, I think positional value hurts his worth.

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

When the college football season is canceled, these picks lose value compared to previous years. The players need games to develop. Everyone says that the Jets got a haul in picks but these are not great picks. They just aren't. Not without a cfb season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

If its more of a crap shoot having more picks gives us more chances.

Since all teams are st th same disadvantage theres a bigger chance a great player could fall to the Jets 

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

All three deals were the same, a pick next season, then another the year after.

Sure, but the draft value number posted would be incorrect.  

Note the contracts were very different.  Khalil Mac was at the end of his contract, whereas Adams has two+ years left.  That’s the reason the compensation was so reduced for Khalil relative to his value as a player.

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think Mack had more leverage because positional value was on his side. A lot of folks derided the deal for the Raiders, but the Bears probably have to regret that one now.

In Adam's case, I think positional value hurts his worth.

Agreed.  I was just pointing out that part of Mack's slightly lesser haul related to the point when the deal happened.  He was already holding out and had only one year (5th year option) left.  Adams has a season, plus the 5th year.  Ramsey was just into his 4th season and had the 5th year left.  I think the Jags were already pretty much out of it by the time they pulled the trigger.   Pass rusher and CB will go for more than safety, but Adams contract and the fact that they get to integrate him in whatever camp there is made him more attractive.  Of course, all the insta-warrior bluster of Adams pales in comparison to Ramsey brawling with the head coach on the sideline and being on the inactive list for multiple games, or Mack being several games into a legit holdout.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, Hael said:

What’s missing here is that we are getting a first in the following year.  It’s not two firsts next year.

roughly speaking in GM land a pick loses roughly a round value for every year.  So in 2020 draft value it’s more like a late first and a late second and a swap between a third and a fifth (in 2020 value) + a decent starter.

This is about equal to the 10th overall pick in total draft value.  

Now of course, most GMs don’t trade their future first round picks for instant gratification second round picks so the comparison isn’t quite right, but well there it is.

the loss of round valuation is already factored in to everyone's mathematical models.  Also the inclusion of McDougald should be, but wasn't here.  He's worth a day 3 at least.