Jets "Fleeced" Seattle? Perhaps Both Sides Did Well

Many across Jets land & in here have declared victory in this trade, patting Joe Douglas on the back. My take is both sides may have done well.* Sure it looks good on paper for the Jets but consider:

1) Many saying Joe Douglas "fleeced" Seattle and by extension GM John Schneider - I doubt it. Douglas has exciting pedigree and promise. Yet it's unknown how he pans out long term. Meanwhile Schneider has developed a perennial top 5 program since he drafted Russell Wilson. He's collected one Lombardi trophy and highly likely has a second if Carroll runs Marshawn Lynch on the 1-yard line three times in a row v NE.

Schneider is a premier NFL GM who gave up a lot for Adams. But like all successful leaders understanding greatness requires calculated boldness: he knew it was a risk worth taking for such an impactful talent like Adams, a luxury he could afford since he annually fields a team led by a special QB.

2) The folks laughably de-valuing Jamal as some mere "box safety": is ya crazy? He is an all-around amazing safety and special football talent - they don't give out All Pro for nothing like they do Pro Bowls. I just saw on ESPN his amazing pass coverage stats. His only weakness is his lack of picks.

There's a reason Douglas would only trade Jamal for a king's ransom: Adams is that good, a HOF in the making.

3) *In sum, obviously: we won't know the true value of any trade like this for some time. Jamal could slot in to Seattle helping them to another Super Bowl berth (they were close to the NFC championship last year and match up well with SF). Or he could blow out his knee and the deal blows up in Seattle's face. 

Douglas hopefully parlays all that draft capital in to a dominant offense and pass rush**. Towards fielding a perennial AFC powerhouse. Yet there is probability he'll miss on some of the players he drafts with said draft capital. He just can't miss by too much. 

**Would've been fun seeing a great Jets pass rush with Adams as part of it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Scoring a sh*t ton of points or a box safety making a few stuffs in the backfield? 
How many times did we stuff the run for a 2 yard loss vs Brady, only to have him convert a 2nd & 12 to Gronk for 13 yards & a 1st down. 
I can’t even believe the haul we got for safety that is average at best in coverage. 
We have a mother load of draft picks to surround Sam with playas. 
History will show that there is a fool born every day (Seattle GM). How long has every been watching the NFL? 
When I turn on an NFL game I can’t wait to comment on the safety play. Adams can’t hold Ed Reeds jock strap! 
Just imagine if Bill Belichick made this trade. We as Jet fans would be like, OMG, Seattle just set them up for another 10 years of winning. What is Seattle without Russell Wilson? Look at the TEs in the AFC East last year & look at Kittle. Jamal gets to test himself against the best TE in the league...twice. He didn’t do well against Gronk at the END OF HIS CAREER. 
Pass me the popcorn. 

This exactly.  If the jets chose another player to blitz that often he would also have some sacks.  Jordan Jenkins had 8 sacks last year and  i think we can all agree he looks stiff much of the time.  The jets need to get more athletic on defense all over the field, and if guys like Zuniga and Q actually improve the d will barely miss adams’ inflated production.

• Haha 1

Plain and simple, Seattle over paid. Do you really think Adams was the piece they needed to add to win a SB? I Don't  and if they don't  win one in the next 2 years while they watch the Jets use there picks on possible future impact players, you might see a fan revolt in Seattle and calls for Pete Carroll to be replaced. Making this trade is the equivalent to going all in in a poker game. Seattle is betting the farm on Adams. 

12 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Many across Jets land & in here have declared victory in this trade, patting Joe Douglas on the back. My take is both sides may have done well.* Sure it looks good on paper for the Jets but consider:

1) Many saying Joe Douglas "fleeced" Seattle and by extension GM John Schneider - I doubt it. Douglas has exciting pedigree and promise. Yet it's unknown how he pans out long term. Meanwhile Schneider has developed a perennial top 5 program since he drafted Russell Wilson. He's collected one Lombardi trophy and highly likely has a second if Carroll runs Marshawn Lynch on the 1-yard line three times in a row v NE.

Schneider is a premier NFL GM who gave up a lot for Adams. But like all successful leaders understanding greatness requires calculated boldness: he knew it was a risk worth taking for such an impactful talent like Adams, a luxury he could afford since he annually fields a team led by a special QB.

2) The folks laughably de-valuing Jamal as some mere "box safety": is ya crazy? He is an all-around amazing safety and special football talent - they don't give out All Pro for nothing like they do Pro Bowls. I just saw on ESPN his amazing pass coverage stats. His only weakness is his lack of picks.

There's a reason Douglas would only trade Jamal for a king's ransom: Adams is that good, a HOF in the making.

3) *In sum, obviously: we won't know the true value of any trade like this for some time. Jamal could slot in to Seattle helping them to another Super Bowl berth (they were close to the NFC championship last year and match up well with SF). Or he could blow out his knee and the deal blows up in Seattle's face. 

Douglas hopefully parlays all that draft capital in to a dominant offense and pass rush**. Towards fielding a perennial AFC powerhouse. Yet there is probability he'll miss on some of the players he drafts with said draft capital. He just can't miss by too much. 

**Would've been fun seeing a great Jets pass rush with Adams as part of it. 

This was strictly a capitalization on the expected drop in revenues from the pandemic - I doubt Seattle gives away a second first projecting a raise in revenue next year. So yeah JD did own them if he can just pick properly 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We traded a player that 90% of the fanbase considered overrated for the biggest haul in 20 years. We fleeced the Seahawks like a North Face store in November 

From you lips to Darrnolds ears ..

Great trade!

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Plain and simple, Seattle over paid. Do you really think Adams was the piece they needed to add to win a SB? I Don't  and if they don't  win one in the next 2 years while they watch the Jets use there picks on possible future impact players, you might see a fan revolt in Seattle and calls for Pete Carroll to be replaced. Making this trade is the equivalent to going all in in a poker game. Seattle is betting the farm on Adams. 

Seahawks don't really value 1st round picks as highly.

Their office has a much better track record with day 2 and day 3 picks.

Look at who they've taken in the first round:

James carpenter, bruce irvin, germaine ifedi, Rashad penny, LJ Collier, jordan brooks. 

If they're gonna reach for prospects in the 1st round, they're better off trading picks for players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

I did a separate thread on this, and based upon my subjective draft values (guessing at the position of the Jets and Seahawks 2021 and 2022 draft slots), the deal worked out to be the value of an overall  #7 pick.

That seems fair to both sides.

The no doubter that everyone has said, is Douglas needs to hit.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Seattle will regret their awful decision.

Check out Seahawk fan boards right now.  Majority are extrememly unhappy.

There is no doubt about it.  It couldn't be any worse for them.  First round picks are gold.  And they traded two of them for a guy who will whine and tweet till he gets 20 mil per year.  This will set them back years.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We traded a player that 90% of the fanbase considered overrated for the biggest haul in 20 years. We fleeced the Seahawks like a North Face store in November 

Just because our fan base thought he was overrated doesn’t mean that he was.  

we just traded away our only quality player for some players we won’t see on the field for two years. Eventually you have to field a competitive team. 

We’re going to have to watch the garbage this franchise is going to put out there every week this year. 

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Seahawks don't really value 1st round picks as highly.

Their office has a much better track record with day 2 and day 3 picks.

Look at who they've taken in the first round:

James carpenter, bruce irvin, germaine ifedi, Rashad penny, LJ Collier, jordan brooks. 

If they're gonna reach for prospects in the 1st round, they're better off trading picks for players. 

That is BS. First round picks are an extremely  valuable commodity in the NFL. GM's look at them as the best chance to develop their teams and as chips to make bets with. Seattle pushed a lot of draft capital into the middle of the table here. If Adams was a guy that changes the complexion of a franchise, I get it and this isn't saying Adams is not a good or even great player, I just don't  think he is the final piece to put Seattle in position  to win a SB. The Seahawks added a piece to having a SB chance, not a guy that is putting the team on his back and carrying them to one and that is the price they paid for Adams. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I did a separate thread on this, and based upon my subjective draft values (guessing at the position of the Jets and Seahawks 2021 and 2022 draft slots), the deal worked out to be the value of an overall  #7 pick.

That seems fair to both sides.

The no doubter that everyone has said, is Douglas needs to hit.

you can't  value this trade now. There is no way to know how well Seattle plays. 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have been an advocate for Adams play on the field for a long time.  I still am.  He is/was better than most people give him credit for.

He's not a "generational talent" however.

Not even close.  

I was at a jets / ravens game in 1998, testaverde threw a pass from the 50 into the end zone and ed reed sprinted acrosss the whole end zone to pick it and return it to mid field. His vision was uncanny and changed how qbs saw the field.  Adams is a box safety who qbs want dropping back into coverage.  Generational, not even close 

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

you can't  value this trade now. There is no way to know how well Seattle plays. 

I slotted them at #25 for for the next 2 years. I slotted the Jets pick at #13 next year. Very subjective, I know.

But, even if the slots vary slightly, the value stays relatively stable. The biggest piece of this is Seattle's record, and they are not going to fall down the board precipitously.

• Upvote 1

Super talented, Adams was worth two first round picks and change that Seattle paid for him.

He was an unneeded luxury on a team that is essentially rebuilding.

That said, he is a most annoying loudmouth, I'm delighted to not hear his endless chatter anymore.

• Upvote 3

Generational talent!? Are you clinically insane? The only generational talent the jets have had in their HISTORY is Darrell Revis (maybe also Namath from a pure talent perspective). Jamal Adams is a very good player, he will not SNIFF the HOF. Guys like Reed or Polamalu made more plays in one season than Jamal will make in his entire career. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is BS. First round picks are an extremely  valuable commodity in the NFL. GM's look at them as the best chance to develop their teams and as chips to make bets with. Seattle pushed a lot of draft capital into the middle of the table here. If Adams was a guy that changes the complexion of a franchise, I get it and this isn't saying Adams is not a good or even great player, I just don't  think he is the final piece to put Seattle in position  to win a SB. The Seahawks added a piece to having a SB chance, not a guy that is putting the team on his back and carrying them to one and that is the price they paid for Adams. 

I agree, they're looking to win a SB. Its short term thinking. 

But some teams are better at drafting than others. 1st round picks are valuable only if you can scout the right players. If you're missing on them as frequently as the seahawks do, then maybe they aren't worth as much. 

• Upvote 1