Jump to content

Jets "Fleeced" Seattle? Perhaps Both Sides Did Well


Jetster
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The draft next year will likely be much more crap-shooty than most drafts, which people like to describe as crap-shoots, but I’m perfectly content to have those extra picks. Gives Douglas a lot of options, including trading 2021 picks for higher 2022 picks. 
 
There’s almost certainly gonna be some college football this year. It’ll be different, maybe less, but there’s just too much money involved for the schools and for the star players who want to showcase themselves before declaring for next year’s draft. It may not be wise, but it’s gonna happen. There will be a combine, players will be tested, and those picks will have value. I doubt we’ll be discussing next year’s draft much differently than most. We’ll all have players we like and don’t like every year. 

On the other side of things what if the Seahawks are ravaged by Covid or Russell Wilson gets hurt? What if the NFL season doesn’t make it though?

It’s always a risk when you are talking about trading first round picks .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone studied Seattles schedule last year & their 11-5 record? 

You guys talk about the Jets easy schedule. 

They beat Cincy by 1 at home. They beat the Steelers (Jets beat the Steelers), Cards, Rams, Vikings (home), Falcons, Bucs, Eagles (played terrible last year), Browns, Panthers.

But here's the kicker. They lost 3 of their last 4 games! THREE VS THEIR DIVISION! They lost to the Cards, Rams, Niners. 

They aren't that good! Wilson is 85% of that team making sh*t happen. They are a Wilson tweaked hammy away from a top 5 pick for us.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One criticism I had of Jamal was that he preyed in the bottom feeders and has invisible vs the big time opponent. You see that in all the highlight clips being circulated now

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Totally just like you preyed on Rob gronkowski in the end zone twice in a row to disallow any TD's that were being thrown his way totally get it Total garbage time

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Everyone talks about 1 year deals for our Jets players by JD, well the players Lewis at G and Griffin at TE showed they were worth keeping longer term than that with their level of play and got extended. Others that didn't weren't retained and that is how it will go moving forward and should. Prove yourself and you'll be a part of the future, if not you won't be. That makes sense doesn't it?. Who should be retained for doing sub-par work?.

Agreed.  FidelioJet just likes to complain.  If you go back to every thread of every move Douglas has made he has bashed it.  He thinks if you don’t spend millions of dollars on a players you are getting a bad player 😂 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell is finished.  He’s too slow right now to be a quality player.  

This team had two players last year that anyone worried about. - Adams and Anderson - both are gone.

I don’t understand how this fan base can be happy with continuing to field garbage teams with garbage coaching.  

And yes, maybe I am overstating things but I’m frustrated.  I wish I could have even a bit of hope - but right now the Jets will be fighting for the floor of the AFC East with the Dolphins. Another 5-6 win, listless year to come.

Jamaal and RA wereNOT going to make this team decidedly better this year. We have Sam going into his 3rd season. We need to be ready to contend year 4 & 5. JD is setting us up for that with draft and financial capital these next 2 years. This year he will evaluate Sams true potential and what holes need to be filled talent wise.

Also assessing whom to extend going into 21 season. Crowder and/or Perriman? Maye or one of the CB’s? Which OLineman deserve extension?

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jamaal and RA wereNOT going to make this team decidedly better this year. We have Sam going into his 3rd season. We need to be ready to contend year 4 & 5. JD is setting us up for that with draft and financial capital these next 2 years. This year he will evaluate Sams true potential and what holes need to be filled talent wise. Also assessing whom to extend going into 21 season. Crowder and/or Perriman? Maye or one of the CB’s? Which OLineman deserve extension?

 

 

Sam might not even be here in year 4 if he doesn't do more this year. sh*t just got real for him. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Has anyone studied Seattles schedule last year & their 11-5 record? 

You guys talk about the Jets easy schedule. 

They beat Cincy by 1 at home. They beat the Steelers (Jets beat the Steelers), Cards, Rams, Vikings (home), Falcons, Bucs, Eagles (played terrible last year), Browns, Panthers.

But here's the kicker. They lost 3 of their last 4 games! THREE VS THEIR DIVISION! They lost to the Cards, Rams, Niners. 

They aren't that good! Wilson is 85% of that team making sh*t happen. They are a Wilson tweaked hammy away from a top 5 pick for us.

Disagree-Their problems last year were on defense and adding Adams is huge for those guys. On offense they are pretty loaded with Wilson, Metcalf, Lockett, and Carson (they’ve got a number of good RBs). They do play in arguably the best division in the league so there is certainly room for regression, but I think their floor is 8-8 assuming Wilson stays healthy. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, slats said:

The draft next year will likely be much more crap-shooty than most drafts, which people like to describe as crap-shoots, but I’m perfectly content to have those extra picks. Gives Douglas a lot of options, including trading 2021 picks for higher 2022 picks. 
 
There’s almost certainly gonna be some college football this year. It’ll be different, maybe less, but there’s just too much money involved for the schools and for the star players who want to showcase themselves before declaring for next year’s draft. It may not be wise, but it’s gonna happen. There will be a combine, players will be tested, and those picks will have value. I doubt we’ll be discussing next year’s draft much differently than most. We’ll all have players we like and don’t like every year. 

I think when people, myself included, refer to the draft as a crapshoot they are specifically referring to the aspect of chance that happens within the top 100 or so guys. Narrowing it down to that is actually not so random. Without a season it’s going to be bad. Judging football players without having any football to judge them by? Oof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dunnie said:

Sam might not even be here in year 4 if he doesn't do more this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Regardless...... the main points of my post remain the same. Just insert another FA or 1st rd. QB into the equation. Surrounding that player with talent is the key. 
 

If anything the additional draft picks allow for a greater opportunity to land a FQB

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Because draft picks are such a lock to be good emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji1.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app
 

 

Given the team's awful track record with draft picks, skepticism is warranted.

 

But you're also more likely to find foundational players in the first round, so with improvements in scouting and player evaluation, those extra 1st rd picks could pay off big time. That's what we're counting on. 

Look at all the top safeties in the league, the highest paid is Eddie jackson, a 4th rounder. Its not like we're trading an indispensable player for lottery tickets. The team could realistically draft a replacement for Adams with one of those 1sts (i hope they don't, i'd rather they get a good o-lineman or cornerback). 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No College football is interesting but we’re now coming to the home stretch of surrounding Sam with playmakers! 
I would imagine there was already a consensus of the top WRs, RBs, TEs at the top of the 2021 draft. 
In 2021 or maybe B4, we could be looking at Mims, another top flight WR, maybe Juju if JD could swing a deal? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think when people, myself included, refer to the draft as a crapshoot they are specifically referring to the aspect of chance that happens within the top 100 or so guys. Narrowing it down to that is actually not so random. Without a season it’s going to be bad. Judging football players without having any football to judge them by? Oof.

I definitely agree that the picks will be iffier than in an ordinary year, but they’ll still have a couple /few years of tape on everyone, and the combine to put them in some sort of order. What will be interesting to see is if there’s a greater disparity between the so-called experts next year. There’s almost always a media consensus on the top five, ten, thirty, next year should be different. 
 
I do expect some college football, though, even though I wouldn’t recommend it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Not even close.  

I was at a jets / ravens game in 1998, testaverde threw a pass from the 50 into the end zone and ed reed sprinted acrosss the whole end zone to pick it and return it to mid field. His vision was uncanny and changed how qbs saw the field.  Adams is a box safety who qbs want dropping back into coverage.  Generational, not even close 

What makes that even more amazing is Ed Reed was in his freshman year at Miami in 1998.. When he came out in 2002 we could have drafted him but took Bryan Thomas DE  a few picks before the Ravens.. Too much tailgating at that game I guess?? :beer:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Disagree-Their problems last year were on defense and adding Adams is huge for those guys. On offense they are pretty loaded with Wilson, Metcalf, Lockett, and Carson (they’ve got a number of good RBs). They do play in arguably the best division in the league so there is certainly room for regression, but I think their floor is 8-8 assuming Wilson stays healthy. 

Adding a safety doesn’t change the fact they lost to every team in their division at the END OF THE SEASON! All 3 of those teams got better also! All 3 of those teams have good offenses, this isn’t Adams playing against Miami, and the Bills in that NFC West. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m sorry but this is an old argument.  Watch film of him in Pitt then watch him last year there’s a clear decline in his speed.   Yes, he’s a smart patient runner but he lost the burst he had.  He waits for the hole to open and then hit it.  He’s just not getting through that hole anymore. Just too slow. 

You just described his entire career in Pit. He never had this burst you speak of. You clearly are not familiar  with his running style.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seahawks board Jamal thread

They aren't happy. Link above with some quotes below:

"Love the player, hate the cost. 2 Firsts for a Safety is horrible value."

"Man, they paid a hefty price, esp with a huge contract they must give him! Not too happy about this!"

"Outrageous price. 2 First Rounders?!"

"Not worth it. They over-paid compared to the LAST 3 YEARS WORTH OF TRADES. Grats I guess? Hope it was worth it. Stupid trade. Stupid stupid stupid and they will regret it. Dumb considering he isn't signed long-term."

"Dang....2 1sts, 1 3rd and McDougald? Plus a huge contract? Way too steep for my liking. Plus his antics the last few months with the Jets have been ridiculous. PLUS, what does this mean for Blair moving forward?"

"This seems like a massive overpay for a position that was not an area of need. A trade for defensive end or corner would make sense but strong safety? What an overpay for a guy that was pushing his way out anyway."

"Okay like the player, the price way to steep if true. Does not solve our biggest problem pass rush and pass blocking So makes no sense."

"Adams is a great player, but when you trade THAT MUCH DRAFT CAPITAL WHEN HE STILL NEEDS TO BE SIGNED IS ABSURD."

"We massively overpaid for a guy fighting his way off his team and constantly complaining. Cant see how this could go wrong. Compare this trade to Minkah Fitzpatrick last year. We paid a ton more in draft capital plus we gave them Mcdougald who is a good player. I may finally be ready for regime change. This reeks of desperation and all in attitude for the next 2 years. Not at all a win forever move."

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

What makes that even more amazing is Ed Reed was in his freshman year at Miami in 1998.. When he came out in 2002 we could have drafted him but took Bryan Thomas DE  a few picks before the Ravens.. Too much tailgating at that game I guess?? :beer:

It was 2004, ed reed had a pick and returned it 78 yards.  Something adams will never do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He was never a fast back, but he was still explosive. 

Revis despite a good 40 time was never a burner at CB, but was fast enough combined with perfect technique and instincts to be an elite HOF player. You saw however when he lost a step late in his career the technique and instincts didn’t save him. 
 

I fear the same situation with Bell-He used to be fast/explosive enough combined with everything else he did, but now he is not. 

 

What I saw in Pit was a back that waited for his line to open a hole and the hole was so big, he ran through it untouched most of the time. Anyone will look explosive running through an OL untouched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  FidelioJet just likes to complain.  If you go back to every thread of every move Douglas has made he has bashed it.  He thinks if you don’t spend millions of dollars on a players you are getting a bad player 😂 

He preferred Macc's style of GM to that of Douglas.  Much more sensational to write about.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

He preferred Macc's style of GM to that of Douglas.  Much more sensational to write about.

I guess.  Look nobody is asking him to kiss  JD’s ass.  But at least be objective.  I’ve pointed out the Kalil signing as Being bad.  But other than that you have to be thrilled with what JD has done.  It’s impossible to fix the whole team in one year but he has given us a lot of flexibility both in the cap and in draft capital.  His first draft was very good.  He did a good job improving the oline while also building it fit the future.  Now we have more picks to go after weapons for Sam 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jets723 said:

I guess.  Look nobody is asking him to kiss  JD’s ass.  But at least be objective.  I’ve pointed out the Kalil signing as Bering bad.  But other than that you have to be thrilled with what JD has done.  It’s impossible to fix the whole team in one year but he has given us a lot of flexibility both in the cap and in draft capital.  His first draft was very good.  He did a good job improving the oline while also building it fit the future.  Now we have more picks to go after weapons for Sam 

And add the right kind of players on defense, pass rushers, edge rushers, athletic guys like Zuniga. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And add the right kind of players on defense, pass rushers, edge rushers, athletic guys like Zuniga. 

Agreed.  Even how he handled the Mims pick.  He saw that Mims was falling and took a chance to acquire more draft capital and still get Mims

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And next year’s wr class is supposedly loaded and with all these team who took wrs in round 1 this year, the jets could actually land a stud wr next year and still use another 1st rounder on D or OL.  

Agreed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Seattle is in the same division as SF, LA and the Cardinals.  SF zone running game and has maybe the best blocking pass catching TE in the league in Kittle.  Both LA and the Cardinals use a lot of motion and zone running schemes.  Arizona had a very good offseason.  All 3 of their opponents have young aggressive offensive coaches.  Adams is a player Carroll obviously thinks he needs to deal with his division.  They may be in the toughest division in the league going forward. 

It's a high risk trade for Seattle.  That's a lot to give up for a Safety.  Based on risk/reward we have the better deal on paper.  If it works out it's probably a good trade for both teams.  

Adams is also going to cost a fair amount of cap space to keep him happy.  That allows us to sign another FA that we couldn't have if we wanted to keep Adams long term.  

We didn't fleece Seattle.  Seattle doesn't get fleeced.  They are a very strong organization that figures out how to win football games.  They got a very good football player.  We got rid of a contract problem and got a lot of future value.  If Douglas turns it into high productivity on the football field this could be a game changer going forward.  Anyone selling Seattle's management short is a fool.  

Great post, I couldn't agree with you more.

I was one of the biggest Adams supporters on this board, but he's a Seahawk now, He's not wearing our laundry anymore, so to me he's just a memory now. I'm done rooting for, and talking about him.

I think we did very well in this trade, so now it's all about biting the bullet this year, and hoping JD hits on his picks. If he does, we'll be fine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And next year’s wr class is supposedly loaded and with all these team who took wrs in round 1 this year, the jets could actually land a stud wr next year and still use another 1st rounder on D or OL.  

This is it in a nutshell. The Jets’ biggest question marks are still at WR, OL, and CB until they prove otherwise, and the Jets have five picks in the top 100 next year and an extra $10M in cap to fix what they need to. Flipping a safety to bolster more important positions is how the professionals build a team. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one of the rare moments in our history where we actually have ammunition to rebuild the right way, akin to the 2000 Keyshawn trade.

4 first rounders over the next 2 years.

Multiple 3rds as well.

This is exactly how you break away from what we’ve always done, which is a tram core built from overspending in free agency.

We have the franchise quarterback, and with all of these picks (ifJoe D really is the draft guru we think he is) we can a young talented core on rookie deals without being in cap hell.

Spending over 17 million on any defensive player that doesn’t int QB’s or sack them consistently is a waste in today’s game. You spend big $ on defensive players that are edge, corners, or aaron donald. Jamal adams is none of that, and that’s okay. We’ve finally moved on from what was always a mistake draft pick. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Not even close.  

I was at a jets / ravens game in 1998, testaverde threw a pass from the 50 into the end zone and ed reed sprinted acrosss the whole end zone to pick it and return it to mid field. His vision was uncanny and changed how qbs saw the field.  Adams is a box safety who qbs want dropping back into coverage.  Generational, not even close 

Ed Reed didn't turn pro until 02

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It was 2004, ed reed had a pick and returned it 78 yards.  Something adams will never do

Testaverde wasn't on the team in 04.

I get that you're trying to knock Jamal Adams, but you don't have to make stuff up to do it

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  Even how he handled the Mims pick.  He saw that Mims was falling and took a chance to acquire more draft capital and still get Mims

JD had a group of players grouped along with Mims with the 2nd round pick. He wasn’t gambling that Mims would be there after moving back but was certain one of those players would be there.   Big difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...