Jets "Fleeced" Seattle? Perhaps Both Sides Did Well

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

JD had a group of players grouped along with Mims with the 2nd round pick. He wasn’t gambling that Mims would be there after moving back but was certain one of those players would be there.   Big difference. 

I understand that

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

We didn't fleece Seattle.  Seattle doesn't get fleeced.  They are a very strong organization that figures out how to win football games.  They got a very good football player.  We got rid of a contract problem and got a lot of future value.  If Douglas turns it into high productivity on the football field this could be a game changer going forward.  Anyone selling Seattle's management short is a fool.  

Seattle paid thru the nose, man. They might not ordinarily get fleeced (I’d agree), but this time Carroll’s small window and his love of safeties has led the team to make a solid short term move, but a very questionable move looking a year or two down the road. Sooner than that if they drag their feet on his extension (I would) and/or if the team misses the playoffs this year. 

If they win a Super Bowl in the next two years, this trade goes down as a win-win. If Douglas Maccagnan’s the picks, maybe they’d even be the winner. But outside of those scenarios, the Jets are the clear winner in this trade, netting more for him than any of us thought he could. 

My prediction? Seattle will have a regime change in the next couple/few years, and Jamal will be one of the first players to go. Douglas found the perfect trade partner in Pete Carroll. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

This is it in a nutshell. The Jets’ biggest question marks are still at WR, OL, and CB until they prove otherwise, and the Jets have five picks in the top 100 next year and an extra $10M in cap to fix what they need to. Flipping a safety to bolster more important positions is how the professionals build a team. 
Edge ????

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Guys telling themselves that Jamal is generational talent must really hate the reality that Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James both came out after Jamal and one is on par with him and the other is very close.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

I definitely agree that the picks will be iffier than in an ordinary year, but they’ll still have a couple /few years of tape on everyone, and the combine to put them in some sort of order. What will be interesting to see is if there’s a greater disparity between the so-called experts next year. There’s almost always a media consensus on the top five, ten, thirty, next year should be different. 

I do expect some college football, though, even though I wouldn’t recommend it. 

Who knows. OL and LB seem to be consistent but you never know what you have with skill position guys at least into their junior years, especially the speed and agility positions. There's no way anything on quarterbacks or ends will be trustworthy without a season to go off of, that's for damn sure.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Walter football grade - hmmm

Seahawks acquire S Jamal Adams and 2022 4th-round pick from Jets for 2021 1st- and 3rd-round picks, 2022 1st-round pick, S Bradley McDougald 
It's hard to believe the Jets actually traded Jamal Adams. I know it's been a rumor that has circulated for quite some time, but I thought that the Jets would either find a way for Adams and beleaguered head coach Adam Gase to reconcile, or just outright fire Gase for not being able to generate any sort of enthusiasm from his players. 

The Jets have obtained two first-round picks for Adams, but I can't say they won this deal. They'll be drafting in the 20s because the Seahawks always find a way to reach the playoffs with Russell Wilson, and that was before Adams. It's likely their two choices will be in the 25-32 range, so that's not enough for Adams, who is arguably the best player at his position in the entire league. It's disappointing that the Jets didn't fire Gase instead. Barely anyone on the Jets' roster likes Gase, and now the players will have even less respect for their coach. Gase will probably be axed after the 2020 season, so why not just get rid of him now and retain Adams? 

I've seen the argument that the Jets won this trade because they acquired two first-round picks. I'd ordinarily agree, but two things must be considered: First, both choices, as mentioned, will be toward the end of the opening round. Second, the Jets have a small window to win during Sam Darnold's tiny rookie contract. Trading Adams away will negate that. 

The Seahawks, meanwhile, have given themselves a much better chance of winning the Super Bowl. With Adams joining Quandre Diggs, Shaq Griffin and potentially Quinton Dunbar, they may just have assembled the Legion of Boom 2.0. If Dunbar can get past his legal issues, it'll be extremely difficult to throw on the Seahawks. 

Grade for Seahawks - A 
Grade for Jets - D 

The hated losing Jamal more than most, but you can’t knock the Jets for this trade. Two firsts and a third is a major haul anyway you slice it. 

Also how does this guy know where Seahawks are going to be picking? Especially in 2022.  They’ve been a consistent organization and have a top  QB, but you can never say for sure in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Walter football grade - hmmm

Seahawks acquire S Jamal Adams and 2022 4th-round pick from Jets for 2021 1st- and 3rd-round picks, 2022 1st-round pick, S Bradley McDougald 
It's hard to believe the Jets actually traded Jamal Adams. I know it's been a rumor that has circulated for quite some time, but I thought that the Jets would either find a way for Adams and beleaguered head coach Adam Gase to reconcile, or just outright fire Gase for not being able to generate any sort of enthusiasm from his players. 

The Jets have obtained two first-round picks for Adams, but I can't say they won this deal. They'll be drafting in the 20s because the Seahawks always find a way to reach the playoffs with Russell Wilson, and that was before Adams. It's likely their two choices will be in the 25-32 range, so that's not enough for Adams, who is arguably the best player at his position in the entire league. It's disappointing that the Jets didn't fire Gase instead. Barely anyone on the Jets' roster likes Gase, and now the players will have even less respect for their coach. Gase will probably be axed after the 2020 season, so why not just get rid of him now and retain Adams? 

I've seen the argument that the Jets won this trade because they acquired two first-round picks. I'd ordinarily agree, but two things must be considered: First, both choices, as mentioned, will be toward the end of the opening round. Second, the Jets have a small window to win during Sam Darnold's tiny rookie contract. Trading Adams away will negate that. 

The Seahawks, meanwhile, have given themselves a much better chance of winning the Super Bowl. With Adams joining Quandre Diggs, Shaq Griffin and potentially Quinton Dunbar, they may just have assembled the Legion of Boom 2.0. If Dunbar can get past his legal issues, it'll be extremely difficult to throw on the Seahawks. 

Grade for Seahawks - A 
Grade for Jets - D 

This has to be one of the dumbest articles I’ve ever read.  How on earth can you give the Jets a D after getting 2 firsts, a third, and another pretty Good safety.  It’s amazing how some overrate Adams.  They act like he is a top 3 defensive player in the entire NFL ?

• Upvote 3

not to nitpick as i do like the deal and not having read all of the thousands of reviews here, but note these draft picks are all delayed a year and clearly lower on the value scale than a trade exercised before the most recent draft. made it palatable to SEA.
havent seen this considered in win/loss opinions but still happy.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Not even close.  

I was at a jets / ravens game in 1998, testaverde threw a pass from the 50 into the end zone and ed reed sprinted acrosss the whole end zone to pick it and return it to mid field. His vision was uncanny and changed how qbs saw the field.  Adams is a box safety who qbs want dropping back into coverage.  Generational, not even close 

Forgetting a moment the point of this story, I must say I'm fairly certain this event didn't actually occur as described, considering Reed was a college rookie in 98.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Guys telling themselves that Jamal is generational talent must really hate the reality that Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James both came out after Jamal and one is on par with him and the other is very close.

Minkah made GAME CHANGING plays last year. 
Adams stole the ball from a Rookie QB, picked off Stidham IN HIS FIRST SNAPS, got a pick on a deflection from another rookie, and got a free run at Dak on a 4th down blitz. 
Did I miss anything? 

So to recap, a thread a day to dump Adams, some wanted him cut, others would have traded him for less than a 1st.  JD gets two 1s, which 99% said would never happen, a 3rd and a competent player and we worry that Schneider can’t do wrong, that JD hasn’t proven a thing yet so it can’t be a win?

Thats the paranoia of being a Jet fan and assuming we lose, just because.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Minkah made GAME CHANGING plays last year. 
Adams stole the ball from a Rookie QB, picked off Stidham IN HIS FIRST SNAPS, got a pick on a deflection from another rookie, and got a free run at Dak on a 4th down blitz. 
Did I miss anything? 

Reality?

A free reign on the Dallas blitz, doesn’t count

Takong the ball away from a QB on a blitz?  Was a rookie, doesn’t count

Stidman INT, again didn’t happen.  Rookie

Minkah?  All his imagined game changing plays were against all pros.  

He’s at worst one of top at his position,  but somehow when talking talent only others Who we dont even see are Much better

2 hours ago, King P said:

Ed Reed didn't turn pro until 02

Testaverde wasn't on the team in 04.

I get that you're trying to knock Jamal Adams, but you don't have to make stuff up to do it

Correct, and it was the immortal Quincy Carter who started the Jets 2004 game vs the Ravens.  And I'm fairly certain the only INT that happened in that game was the one thrown by precision-passer LaMont Jordan.

Reed is unquestionably infinitely better than Adams as far as I'm concerned, but this is definitely a cringe-worthy argument being made.

15 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

The hated losing Jamal more than most, but you can’t knock the Jets for this trade. Two firsts and a third is a major haul anyway you slice it. 

Also how does this guy know where Seahawks are going to be picking? Especially in 2022.  They’ve been a consistent organization and have a top  QB, but you can never say for sure in the NFL. 

OVERRATED!!!

If the Jets lost 3 of their last 4 games of the season & 3 of those losses were to EVERY TEAM IN YOUR DIVISION would you be so optimistic about a Super Bowl by trading away two 1sts, a 3rd, and giving the Jets a decent safety? 
This article is madness. 
They beat 2 teams with winning records, Eagles & Vikings. 
Because of injuries the Eagles starting WRs were Greg Ward, Jordan Mathews (is there anyone slower & Miles Sanders). Carson Wentz fumbled 2 times, Godert fumbled & Wentz threw 2 picks (5 turnovers). 
They beat the Vikings at home 37-30. The Vikings ran for 29 yards that day & still scored 30 points? 

Seattle were road warriors in 2019 going 7-1. Can they repeat that road record? Will they have the 12th man at home where they only went 4-4 last year? 
The Seahawks 2019 season was far from impressive regardless of the 11-5 record. 

• Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Reality?

He’s at worst one of top at his position,  but somehow when talking talent only others Who we dont even see are Much better

Minkah was a BEAST last year! In 14 games he had 5 interceptions returned 1 for a TD, and recovered 2 fumbles! That 7 turnovers! 

So in 14 games he had 3 more interceptions than Adams had in 3 years!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Minkah was a BEAST last year! In 14 games he had 5 interceptions returned 1 for a TD, and recovered 2 fumbles! That 7 turnovers! 

So in 14 games he had 3 more interceptions than Adams had in 3 years!

I’m sure you watched him play 14 games and analyzed every big play.  I hope better than seeing Jamal get to Dak untouched. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Reality?

So you’re back up to full strength, are you? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have been an advocate for Adams play on the field for a long time.  I still am.  He is/was better than most people give him credit for.

He's not a "generational talent" however.

Can this officially be the end of using that term to describe Jamal Adams?

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sure, Hiroshima took a short-term loss, but on the other hand they were able to revisit their outmoded building codes and archaic infrastructure development program.

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sometimes you need to quell the desire to go for the tasteless joke. That’s in poor taste IMO

waah35ql8te21.gif

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Forgetting a moment the point of this story, I must say I'm fairly certain this event didn't actually occur as described, considering Reed was a college rookie in 98.

It was 2004, i looked it up.  Memory foggy but reed returned a pick for 78 yards.  

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Yawn ... Adams a SS vs probably the best FREE Safety ever... It's getting old.

The fact that there's such a massive gulf between Reed and Adams is part of the point.  FS's matter.  SS's don't. 

If you want to talk SS vs SS, then we can talk Troy Polamalu, Ken Houston, Kenny Easley, Rodney Harrison, Donnie Shell, John Lynch, Darren Woodson and Dennis Smith.  Maybe not one "generational talent" among them.  But all were better than Jamal Adams is or ever will be.  

Harrison, Lynch, Woodson and Smith aren't in the HOF, btw.  4 all-time great SS's.  Talk about a good understanding of positional importance from the folks in Canton!

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Correct, and it was the immortal Quincy Carter who started the Jets 2004 game vs the Ravens.  And I'm fairly certain the only INT that happened in that game was the one thrown by precision-passer LaMont Jordan.

Reed is unquestionably infinitely better than Adams as far as I'm concerned, but this is definitely a cringe-worthy argument being made.

Yes and reed picked off a pass in his own end zone and ran it back 78 yards.  

6 hours ago, CTM said:

I was thinking this is almost a good a day as the day Mac got canned but then I realized that the trade never happens if Mac was still GM.  Ousting Mac just looks better and better 

Honestly getting a bit optimistic about this sh*theel team for the first time in a decade. 

Glad to see you're finally coming around on Douglas!  Been here for months waiting for you.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

His career is off to a generational start .. and he just got traded to the coach that knows how to use safeties better than anyone alive.

Time will tell.

No, its not, and no it won't.  Adams is what he is.  We've basically seen his ceiling.  That's the problem for guys who only have slightly above average athleticism compared to their peers.  They lack that "extra gear". 

Gregg Williams did a great job putting him in a position to succeed here.  Seattle's scheme won't magically turn him into a guy who picks off passes.