Ranking the 5 best Jets trades from 2000-present

In light of yesterday's big move, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a positive slant on Jets history and rank the top trades from 2000-present.  

1.  WR Keyshawn Johnson to Buccaneers for two 2000 1st round picks (# 13, # 27)  -- April 12, 2000

This trade maintains the top slot in Jets' history, primarily because the Jets were able to land 2 first round picks in the immediate draft class in exchange for their disgruntled star.  Not to mention, they were able to use one of those 1sts (# 13) on DE John Abraham, the last elite pass rusher the Jets have had in the last 15 years.  

2.  S Jamal Adams and 2022 4th round pick to Seahawks for two 2021 1st round picks, 2021 3rd round pick and S Bradley McDougald  -- July 25, 2020

While we haven't seen the fruits of this deal pay off yet, there's simply no doubt at this time that the Jets received as much value as possible out of a SS who simply doesn't want to be a Jet.  Tack on a solid, known quantity in McDougald into the mix and it's a complete win for 2nd year GM Joe Douglas.

3.  CB Darrelle Revis to Buccaneers for 2013 1st round pick (# 13), 2014 4th round pick -- April 21, 2013

Coming off a bad knee injury that cost him the final 14 games on the 2012 season, Revis's future was uncertain and his best days were behind him.  Knowing this, GM John Idzik was able to execute a solid trade for a top half pick in the 2013 draft, along with a 2014 mid rounder.  With that 2013 pick, he took DT Sheldon Richardson, who totaled 18.0 sacks in 4 seasons with the team, reaching the Pro Bowl in 2014.

4.  EDGE John Abraham, 2006 3rd round pick, 2007 4th round pick to Falcons for 2006 1st round pick (# 29) -- March 23, 2006

This trade was bittersweet, as the Jets had to give up their last true elite EDGE rusher in Abraham in the deal.  He went on to have 8 more productive seasons in the NFL, racking up 68.5 sacks over 7 seasons with Atlanta and another 11.5 with Arizona in 2013.  Still, the end result is what made this trade good enough to appear on t he list.  Not only did they free up cap space with the move, the Jets locked in their Center for the next decade in Nick Mangold, easing the transition at the position from all-time great Jet Kevin Mawae.

5.  DT Leonard Williams to Giants for 2020 3rd round pick, 2021 5th round pick  --  October 28, 2019

Joe Douglas earns 2 of the 5 spot on the list in fleecing Giants GM Dave Gettleman.  A non-impactful DT should not be able to net an early 3rd rounder plus another mid round pick from a rebuilding team, but that's exactly what happened.  Now, the Giants sit with a run-stopping franchise tagged DT on a team that is, shocker, still bad.  Meanwhile, the Jets freed up the cap space and also were able to take promising FS/CB Ashtyn Davis with the 2020 3rd round pick, a player they evidently graded as a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect.  Davis will certainly play a major role in the team's future, especially with Adams out of the picture.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, I heard that if it's raining in Seattle on Draft Day then it turns into a 2nd rounder. lol

That sounds like a jeweler in my town.  He gives people their wedding rings free, retroactively, if it rains on their wedding day.  

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

The Leo trade was pretty meh imo

I also considered the Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis swap OR the Richardson deal for that # 5 spot. 

What put the Leo deal over the top for me is the large amount of cap space saved by not keeping Leo compared to what the Giants will have to pay Leo. 

Plus the fact that Leo was an expiring contract.  The Giants could have easily waited for Leo to hit free agency if they liked him that much.

Surprisingly there weren't THAT many trades over the last 20 years to choose from.  I thought there were a lot more than what showed up in my search.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also considered the Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis swap OR the Richardson deal for that # 5 spot. 

What put the Leo deal over the top for me is the large amount of cap space saved by not keeping Leo compared to what the Giants will have to pay Leo. 

Plus the fact that Leo was an expiring contract.  The Giants could have easily waited for Leo to hit free agency if they liked him that much.

Surprisingly there weren't THAT many trades over the last 20 years to choose from.  I thought there were a lot more than what showed up in my search.

Well you left out the #1 and #2 trades in franchise history.