What do you think the Jets plans for Adams were before he went scorched earth?

Do you think they were gonna extend  him they just wanted to wait till next year to do it? 

Do you think they had no intentions of giving him franchise Qb money because he’s a safety and knew all along they’d eventually have to  trade him but it got accelerated because of Adams antics?

we really never heard Douglas’ side of this.

According  to Jamal Douglas told  him he’d get paid then went completely silent on him throughout this thing which who knows if it’s true but is weird to me if it was.

You would think you’d have a dialogue with your best player who wants to get paid especially when Jamal took it to social media.

I think they were always interested in moving him. I just don't think the timeline of the Jets rebuild and the salary Adams wanted matched up. Adams kind of makes sense for a team like the Seahawks who have a franchise QB in his prime and want to win a Super Bowl right now. Teams with as many needs as the Jets can't pay a safety $20+ mm a year. They were talking to teams before the deadline last year because the team was 1-7 and it was clear we needed more draft capital.

If Adams were willing to sign for less, maybe he'd be part of the plan. But it's clear that Douglas has a price he'll go to and that's that.

The real question is how committed is Douglas to Darnold right now. That's what I'm really curious about.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Dallas Jet game other then that I don't know??

Even that game the biggest play of the game was actually made by Quinnen williams, jamal just cleaned up and pranced around and of course the camera jumped on him and the commentators gave him the credit.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think the plan was get good trade value or get a reasonable contract extension done. Barring either, let him play on his existing deal and rinse repeat the next year. 

If we've learned nothing about Joe Douglas it's that he's very disciplined with his assessment of value. It's pretty refreshing. 

For once we have a GM that is smarter than most JN posters.

The only real knock I have for Douglas to date was failing to trade Robby Anderson at the deadline in October, even if it would have only gotten us something like a 4th rounder back.  I don't think there was reason to believe at that time that Anderson would get extended, nor could I imagine a scenario where Douglas thought he'd get a comp pick back (given all the team's needs).  By failing to trade him we essentially gave up a pick for just 9 more games of Anderson's presence in the huddle.  I don't think that was worth it.

At this stage he doesn't have any other serious blemishes to date.  If George Fant busts that will be his 2nd one.  And that's about it.  If some of his high 2020 picks bust, at least they were picks that had logic and balls behind them. 

And even having said the above regarding Anderson, we got that extra 2020 4th rounder in a trade down with the Patriots anyways.  It just would have been nice to have an additional one.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Do you think they were gonna extend  him they just wanted to wait till next year to do it? 

Do you think they had no intentions of giving him franchise Qb money because he’s a safety and knew all along they’d eventually have to  trade him but it got accelerated because of Adams antics?

we really never heard Douglas’ side of this.

According  to Jamal Douglas told  him he’d get paid then went completely silent on him throughout this thing which who knows if it’s true but is weird to me if it was.

You would think you’d have a dialogue with your best player who wants to get paid especially when Jamal took it to social media.

It was reported yesterday that the deal was in the works a month ago.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It was reported yesterday that the deal was in the works a month ago.

I think douglas never had any plan to tie up so much cap space in Adams, which is why he strung him along about a new contract which propped up his value while quietly trying to negotiate the right trade.  If the draft says anything about douglas, it’s that he’s patient and willing to take risks.  He was not going to panic on an adams trade.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think douglas never had any plan to tie up so much cap space in Adams, which is why he strung him along about a new contract which propped up his value while quietly trying to negotiate the right trade.  If the draft says anything about douglas, it’s that he’s patient and willing to take risks.  He was not going to panic on an adams trade.

Correct.  I would have been happy with any result OTHER than extending his contract.  I would have taken a 3rd round pick, or a comp pick after Jamal's deal expired.  Anything rather than paying him.

We can't assume too much, but it sure seems to me that Douglas had zero intention of really making Jamal a "Jet for life", demonstrating he has a good understanding of how to build a roster.  Or, at the very least, he knew that handing a SS about 10 % of the cap is NOT a good way to build a roster.  Getting this haul of picks out of the deal is just gravy.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  I would have been happy with any result OTHER than extending his contract.  I would have taken a 3rd round pick, or a comp pick after Jamal's deal expired.  Anything rather than paying him.

We can't assume too much, but it sure seems to me that Douglas had zero intention of really making Jamal a "Jet for life", demonstrating he has a good understanding of how to build a roster.  Or, at the very least, he knew that handing a SS about 10 % of the cap is NOT a good way to build a roster.  Getting this haul of picks out of the deal is just gravy.

ed reed is arguably worth that kind of money, b/c he causes so many turnovers and really got into the head of qbs.  but so few safeties are worth that money and it's precisely those type of poor investments based on positional value over the years that has hurt the jets.  how many times have the jets overpaid for ILBs, rbs or DTs, both in terms of FA money and draft capital?  i like that the first two draft picks this year were premium positions.  it's reassuring that douglas understands positional value, draft capital, cap management and waiting for another team to panic

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This.

I'm sure Douglas might have entertained keeping Adams on a "reasonable" deal, but I think in any case, he was a goner once Seattle offered what they did.

3 minutes ago, viffer said:

Most?

ALL JN POSTERS!

Yes, but I was moreso taking a shot at Macc with that.  Macc was dumber than many/most JN posters. 

A coalition of JN draftniks would have this franchise in great shape right now if they were making the picks from 2008-2019.

This would be my "starting 5":

@Paradis @RobR @#27TheDominator @HessStation @JiF

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, but I was moreso taking a shot at Macc with that.  Macc was dumber than many/most JN posters. 

A coalition of JN draftniks would have this franchise in great shape right now if they were making the picks from 2008-2019.

This would be my "starting 5":

@Paradis @RobR @#27TheDominator @HessStation @JiF

lol, yea but put us all in a room together and get us to agree on who to draft and you'll return to find--

584d1ec3ae89528aa9eb1c55530081fe.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol, yea but put us all in a room together and get us to agree on who to draft and you'll return to find--

584d1ec3ae89528aa9eb1c55530081fe.jpg

Probably.  Still far better than the TannenRex, Idzik, or Macc eras. 

At least you guys would probably end up arguing between 2 or 3 very good players, where no answer would really be wrong.  Like Mahomes vs Watson or something like that.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably.  Still far better than the TannenRex, Idzik, or Macc eras. 

At least you guys would probably end up arguing between two very good players, where no answer would really be wrong.

haha, it would be tremendous fun tho. Can you imagine getting paid to do that? smh. 

You'd never have to have to worry about a Hack-gate, or a Polite sneaking in - i can tell you that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

haha, it would be tremendous fun tho. Can you imagine getting paid to that? smh. 

You'd have to have to worry about a Hack-gate, or a Polite sneaking in - i can tell you that. 

Exactly.  There'd be sound logic and reasoning behind the picks.  It's acceptable to get picks wrong.  Having poor logic and a poor process is the unforgivable part.  Hence why some GMs always seem to do well and some GMs always seem to suck. 

The draft is a game of poker, not roulette.  About 25 % luck but 75 % skill.  I'm always amazed how many people still argue its all luck.

• Sympathy 1