Costello on The Jamal Fiasco

16 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The victory lap some posters seem to be taking seems a bit misguided in my opinion.

Adams fetched two first round picks, a solid veteran starter at SS, and the equivalent of a sixth round pick (Jets trade up from fourth to third).  This is quite a significant haul which is representative of a top player in the league.  This is much higher compensation than many on the the anti-Jamal side were expecting.

I didn't see many people on the pro-Jamal side highlighting his leadership skills.  I think it goes without saying that this guy is not a good leader in the locker room.  He has always been a vocal player with a me-first attitude since his days at LSU.  He is a great, game changing talent entering his prime, and the trade compensation reflected it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

The pro jamal people were always bleating about his leadership.

Also, huge error in your last line.  He is 100% for sure not a game changing talent.  Three years and there is one debatable game that could be considered game changing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

It bothers me still all these draft experts go crazy about guys being "best player in the draft" at nonpremium positions. There's no cost to them to write that, but it's nonsense. Adams, even being a turd of a human being, is a very good safety. Same thing with the #92 Williams brothers. But unless that guy is off the charts, Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed or Hali Ngata or Kris Jenkins-can't miss beast, 24/7 no stop 24/7 football animal-you cannot pick a guy at those positions. As an aside, see the same kind of braindead thinking that led to the Q pick (oh, he's going to actually deign to work out this offseason, that's big of the fat ass). And Adams is not and is never going to be that. On draft day '17 I was all over Watson; good kid, winner everywhere he's been , talented, smart, face of the franchise. And I still think that's the case. But how can an NFL GM miss on Mahomes? The history of the draft is littered with scared GMs taking the safe "best player in the draft" or on some board rather than going for a serious star. 

A safety...WTF. 

Actually pretty easily. There's been boat loads of Qb's that flourished in run & gun offenses in College that crashed and burned in the NFL.  It just happens Mahomes was an outlier just like Brady was. Right place , right time , right team and right coach . Put Mahomes on the Jags and we may not even be talking about him today. 

If Jamal did not have a big mouth and personality he would hardly even be known across the league. I for one commend him for running his mouth. People seem to think big talkers are automatically big players, and it worked for Jamal. Reality is he never moved the needle in a game, he’s just another of 11 guys.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

in fairness to Jamal.  Seattle is a well managed team and they gave up a ransom to get him.  They don't need him to be a leader they need him to ball.  

I have no idea what Joe D and Gase think of Mosley but I suspect him to be the leader by example for the D.  Seattle has a winning culture and veteran leadership.  The Jets don't.  

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

$50 to a mutually agreed upon charity that Adams isn’t on the Seahawks for the 2023 season. He makes it two years there, max

They've invested too much in him to give up on him IMO.

It would have to be an unmitigated disaster for them not to sign him or they get another huge offer down the line. 

Ian Rapoport RapSheet‬⁩

From ⁦‪@gmfb‬⁩: The tense relationship between the #Jets and Jamal Adams began to crumble when he reached out to #Cowboys players during the trade deadline in an effort to convince Dallas brass to deal for him. The culmination of all of that landed him in Seattle instead.

7/27/20, 9:56 AM

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m just happy it’s all over.  

I wanted him to rot on our bench, see his value plummet, and teach him a lesson.

But, f-it.  Four 1's in the next two seasons gives Sam all the weapons he needs to win a Super Bowl.  I'm keeping my Adams jersey.  Going to wear it to the parade to honor the man who made it all happen.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Actually pretty easily. There's been boat loads of Qb's that flourished in run & gun offenses in College that crashed and burned in the NFL.  It just happens Mahomes was an outlier just like Brady was. Right place , right time , right team and right coach . Put Mahomes on the Jags and we may not even be talking about him today. 

Mahomes on the Jets would’ve been a lot like Darnold. The people paying attention would see the talent, but it wouldn’t’ve shown up in the stats. 

25 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

They've invested too much in him to give up on him IMO.

It would have to be an unmitigated disaster for them not to sign him or they get another huge offer down the line. 

All it will take is Seattle dragging their feet another year and a regime change. Once he’s in their building, he’ll immediately become less attractive. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Mahomes on the Jets would’ve been a lot like Darnold. The people paying attention would see the talent, but it wouldn’t’ve shown up in the stats. 

All it will take is Seattle dragging their feet another year and a regime change. Once he’s in their building, he’ll immediately become less attractive. 

and darnold woulda thrown for 50 tds and 5k ydson the chiefs?

Keanu Reeves Bill S Preston Esquire GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport RapSheet‬⁩

From ⁦‪@gmfb‬⁩: The tense relationship between the #Jets and Jamal Adams began to crumble when he reached out to #Cowboys players during the trade deadline in an effort to convince Dallas brass to deal for him. The culmination of all of that landed him in Seattle instead.

7/27/20, 9:56 AM

Oh look.  As if people didn't mention months ago that it was Jamal, more than the Jets, who wanted Jamal-to-Dallas to happen and his little post-deadline tirade was about NOT getting traded.

Some conspiracy theories are correct.

@Trolly McTrollface  @T0mShane  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The victory lap some posters seem to be taking seems a bit misguided in my opinion.

Adams fetched two first round picks, a solid veteran starter at SS, and the equivalent of a sixth round pick (Jets trade up from fourth to third).  This is quite a significant haul which is representative of a top player in the league.  This is much higher compensation than many on the the anti-Jamal side were expecting.

I didn't see many people on the pro-Jamal side highlighting his leadership skills.  I think it goes without saying that this guy is not a good leader in the locker room.  He has always been a vocal player with a me-first attitude since his days at LSU.  He is a great, game changing talent entering his prime, and the trade compensation reflected it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

So you think us anti-Jamal folks were HOPING for less trade compensation so we could say we were right about his value?  Nah.  I thought Jamal's actions were cratering his trade value.  I would have gladly accepted a 2nd round pick for him.   Happy to be wrong about what we got back for him even after all of his b*tchy behavior.

Though even having said that, @Sperm Edwards made a convincing argument that Dallas' 2020 first alone would have been more valuable than the haul we got from Seattle.  I don't really agree with it, as in the end I think Denzel Mims + Seattle compensation will be >>>> just Cee Dee Lamb alone.  But it's a convincing argument nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

If Jamal did not have a big mouth and personality he would hardly even be known across the league. I for one commend him for running his mouth. People seem to think big talkers are automatically big players, and it worked for Jamal. Reality is he never moved the needle in a game, he’s just another of 11 guys.

He hasn't gotten paid yet, so let's hold off on saying whether it worked or not.  There's a point where Jamal will go too far, and will cost himself a shot at a mega deal from Seattle. 

We'll see what his market value looks like after ousting himself off 2 teams.

He's definitely on a contender though, so in that sense, he got a win.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

So you think us anti-Jamal folks were HOPING for less trade compensation so we could say we were right about his value?  Nah.  I thought Jamal's actions were cratering his trade value.  I would have gladly accepted a 2nd round pick for him.   Happy to be wrong about what we got back for him even after all of his b*tchy behavior.

Though even having said that, @Sperm Edwards made a convincing argument that Dallas' 2020 first alone would have been more valuable than the haul we got from Seattle.  I don't really agree with it, as in the end I think Denzel Mims + Seattle compensation will be >>>> just Cee Dee Lamb alone.  But it's a convincing argument nonetheless.

Just to clarify: I never said we'd have been better off with pick #17 instead of these picks (not that such an offer was even there). I merely said the value on paper was greater that way if there was, since it was a scenario we discussed here plenty before the draft, and right up to the point Dallas made their pick without trading it.

We'd need the benefit of hindsight to know which scenario is actually better. Just like it's obvious pick #10 is more valuable than pick #110. But once they become players and not just picks, the value can - and often does - change dramatically with respect to the original draft slot.

Also the comparison would not be Mims + Seattle's compensation vs Cee Dee Lamb alone.

• We wouldn't have been docked our 2nd rounder and would have taken someone else, of course; or potentially we would have ended up with Lamb AND Mims.
  • The comparison would be Lamb (or another player if that's what Douglas would've done) vs Seattle's compensation.
  • And even that presumes a theoretical offer with Dallas would have been limited to just the #17 pick with nothing else thrown in beyond that.

;) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just to clarify: I never said we'd have been better off with pick #17 instead of these picks (not that such an offer was even there). I merely said the value on paper was greater that way if there was, since it was a scenario we discussed here plenty before the draft, and right up to the point Dallas made their pick without trading it.

We'd need the benefit of hindsight to know which scenario is actually better. Just like it's obvious pick #10 is more valuable than pick #110. But once they become players and not just picks, the value can - and often does - change dramatically with respect to the original draft slot.

Also the comparison would not be Mims + Seattle's compensation vs Cee Dee Lamb alone.

• We wouldn't have been docked our 2nd rounder and would have taken someone else, of course; or potentially we would have ended up with Lamb AND Mims.
  • The comparison would be Lamb (or another player if that's what Douglas would've done) vs Seattle's compensation.
  • And even that presumes a theoretical offer with Dallas would have been limited to just the #17 pick with nothing else thrown in beyond that.

;) 

All right all right I give you're right!

over it monday GIF by Michelle Porucznik

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Simply wonder, as with most of  Bon Jovi songs, when did he steal this from Southside Johnny or Springsteen, and was it before or after he discovered autotune and hair extensions? 

I just loved this tattoo made in Russia. As for the rest, not a Jon Bovi fan.