jets are never in win now mode

kmnj

23 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Preach it SAR!

Mosley + Williamson + more opportunistic safeties = Improved D

Simple, right?

It's like the whole world forgets that the Jets were 7-9 completely injured and would have been 10-6 or better completely healthy.  All the so-called experts are going to be stunned when the Jets win the division.  But not us.  We have, you know, eyes and brains.

SAR I

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

And this off season has been the biggest throwing up of the white flag I can remember.  
We actually took the worst roster in the NFL and made it worse. 

And the fan base is glorifying the GM for it. That’s how bad Jet fans have been beaten up. 

very sad. 

Idiot post of the year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Idiot post of the year

You can't argue with a SOJF.  They just want to be miserable.  They spin everything to the negative.  They are the reason Manish and Boningo exist.  Willing, able, and gullible.

SAR I

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

how is the roster worse?

In his world we "lost" out on "legit" talent like Robby Anderson, the now fourth option on Carolina. We replaced the one lost WR with "Garbage" like Perriman and Mims.

He fancies himself a talent evaluator/ capologist and would rather a Jamal Adams to a (Healthy) Mosely.

It's the internet he's one of the resident Eeyores here. Acknowledging his "takes" just feed his schtick. Which is a good thing, I applaud feeding unwitting trolls without the sustenance they starve .... It's sad have you ever seen an emaciated troll.

not-sure-if-troll.png.e2ceff40d948247c956daa01f18bbc2a.png

13 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

In his world we "lost" out on "legit" talent like Robby Anderson, the now fourth option on Carolina. We replaced the one lost WR with "Garbage" like Perriman and Mims.

He fancies himself a talent evaluator/ capologist and would rather a Jamal Adams to a (Healthy) Mosely.

It's the internet he's one of the resident Eeyores here. Acknowledging his "takes" just feed his schtick. Which is a good thing, I applaud feeding unwitting trolls without the sustenance they starve .... It's sad have you ever seen an emaciated troll.

not-sure-if-troll.png.e2ceff40d948247c956daa01f18bbc2a.png

That’s hurtful.  

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

The Jets trading Adams is another example of this.

No, it really isn't.

We were not in "win now" mode with Adams. 

We are in exactly the same place without Adams that we were with him. 

We're a slightly below-average talented team that was not likely to compete for a title in 2020.

And I'll be honest, I don't think we will be any worse in 2020 without Adams than we otherwise would have been with him.

This was the right move.  Now Douglas needs to make something out of all the draft capital he has acquired.

• Upvote 3

No one wants to hear that their team is in a rebuild, especially when the rebuild has been taking place for the better part of a decade. The bottom line is that there is a proven way to build a team, and that by drafting well, extending your drafted players before they have a chance to hit free agency and maximize their value, and invest your biggest resources in the most important positions. 

Over the past decade, during the "rebuilds" the Jets simply haven't done that. No offensive lineman drafted in the first round, they didn't invest in a QB until Darnold, they whiffed on guys at premium positions (Coples, Trumaine Johnson, etc). So while a rebuild is pathetic at this point its a reality. 

Put it this way, say you decided to build a new house. You hire contractor A, and he goes to build your house and after a year the entire thing falls down because he screwed up the foundation. You fire contractor A, and hire contractor B, that guy does the same thing. You may be as frustrated as all hell, but the reality is you still need to start from the foundation and build the house the right way - that doesn't change just because contractor A and B were complete dunces. 

Well for the Jets contractor A and B were John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan. You may hate the fact that we are no further along right now than we were when Idzkik took over, but the truth remains, if you want to build a great team it needs to start with an investment in key positions primarily through the draft... I'm confident Joe D can do that so another rebuild it is...

• Upvote 1

The last time the jets were in a Super Bowl window, they had:

- a rock solid offensive line - Mangold, Ferguson, Woody, Faneca, Moore

- an excellent secondary - Revis and cromartie, good depth w/ Leonard, poole

- a strong defensive line - Ellis, pouha, devito

- decent LB coverage - Harris, scott

- decent pass/run game to support a game managing rookie QB

How many first rounders do you see there? 

That's the key. Hitting on those first round picks, and surrounding them with complementary pieces (acquired via trade or FA). Accumulating first round picks is not just a favourable strategy, its the ONLY proven strategy for building a contender. There's no other way. 

The best thing about the current Jets team is Sam Darnold. For the first time in Jets history, the potentially elite QB is already there. Building around a good QB is far easier (and faster) than building a team to limit a mediocre QBs mistakes. 

Keeping all this in mind, the extra draft picks from the Adams trade are immensely valuable. If all goes well,  we'll be looking at a Super bowl contender as early as 2023. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

And this off season has been the biggest throwing up of the white flag I can remember.  
We actually took the worst roster in the NFL and made it worse. 

And the fan base is glorifying the GM for it. That’s how bad Jet fans have been beaten up. 

very sad. 

We were 16-32 with Jamal.  What in the world are you up in arms about?  We beat teams in the second half of the year last year that were rolling out second stringers.

We can completely suck without a guy that is a total immature jerk. Odell, Brown.  These guys don't change.  

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Oline is worse. 
upgraded center for sure. But a clear downgrade at T. Possibly both tackles. 

The OL in everyone’s estimation is a work in progress but has been approved no matter how many times you and your extremely limited ability to decide they haven’t keeps repeating it over and over again.  Saying they downgrading at T, given their play in 2019 just drives home that point

• Upvote 1

Where do you guys get the notion that we have one of the worst rosters in football?! 

Did you see our IR list last year??? Those players including the RIGHTFUL leader of this defense is returning. 

we’ve thrown  wayyyyyyy less talented rosters out there in the past decade.

I agree we have a lot of unproven players.....or players that are reaching put up or shut up time.... but “one of the worst rosters in the league “ is ridiculous. One of the worst rosters in the league won 7 games last year with half the roster on IR 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s just plain laughable 

Not hidden at all

Why does replacing Jags with Jags make them better?

The oline was the biggest problem last year and will remain that way this year.  Except now we also lost out best offensive weapon and best defensive player. 

how can any of you look at this roster and think it’s better.  Honestly, I get you’re a fan and want to see the best and hope - and maybe I see the negative more. But you can’t give up your best player on offense and defense and expect to be better. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The oline was the biggest problem last year and will remain that way this year.  Except now we also lost out best offensive weapon and best defensive player. 

how can any of you look at this roster and think it’s better.  Honestly, I get you’re a fan and want to see the best and hope - and maybe I see the negative more. But you can’t give up your best player on offense and defense and expect to be better. 

injury

in·ju·ry | \ ˈinj-rē
, ˈin-jə- \
plural injuries

1 : hurt, damage, or loss sustained

Just now, carlito1171 said:

Where do you guys get the notion that we have one of the worst rosters in football?! 

Did you see our IR list last year??? Those players including the RIGHTFUL leader of this defense is returning. 

we’ve thrown  wayyyyyyy less talented rosters out there in the past decade.

I agree we have a lot of unproven players.....or players that are reaching put up or shut up time.... but “one of the worst rosters in the league “ is ridiculous. One of the worst rosters in the league won 7 games last year with half the roster on IR 

Who’s worse?  We just traded away our only all pro. 
this is a team of JAGs and less, now with not a single play maker on either side of the ball. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But you can’t give up your best player on offense and defense and expect to be better. 

Our best player on defense is CJ Mosely.  He didn't play last year.  That's an addition.  That's like the best FA pickup of 2020.

Our best payer on offense is Sam Darnold.  He was injured for 8 games last year.  If he can last a full season, that's an addition, that's like the best FA pickup of 2020.

Look at all the players that were injured last year, look at all the new signings this year, you'll see that our roster is better this year.  If Mosely and Williamson played last season and we were 7-9 I would agree that losing Adams is awful.  But they didn't, and the reason Adams was our entire pass rush last year is because Mosely and Williamson weren't in the middle where they belonged.

As for Robbie, please, he was a scrawny one-hit-wonder.  A homerun hitter with too many strikeouts.  Herndon, Mims, Perriman, and the returning Crowder can more than make up for his production.  Healthy Darnold trumps all the changes.

The roster is better than last year because last year we were completely injured.  And we went 7-9.  We would have been 10-6 if completely healthy.  Hell, if we merely had a competent kicker we'd have gone 9-7 even with all the other injuries.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The OL in everyone’s estimation is a work in progress but has been approved no matter how many times you and your extremely limited ability to decide they haven’t keeps repeating it over and over again.  Saying they downgrading at T, given their play in 2019 just drives home that point

The reason I repeat myself so often is I continue to read the nonsense that somehow this team is much better.

When y’all stop talking about how much better this team and treating JD like a god, I’ll stop repeating myself and pointing out what’s obvious to everyone other than people on this board. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Every team has injuries. Some overcome them. Some don’t. 

There are 22 starters on an NFL roster.  At various points of the season, we lost 13 of them, maybe more, I stopped keeping count at one point.

That's not "overcoming injuries".  That's an outrageous ask. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Just to clarify when you say "best player on offense" you do mean The Robby Anderson correct?

Yes. Who was better? 
you wanna say Sam? I can give you that on potential (btw, I’m a huge Sam supporter and believe he has top 5 QB potential) but who else?

if you’re gonna say Bell, then let’s not even bother. 

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Our best player on O last year was Sam Darnold.   Crowder was our most effective weapon on O.  Robbie Anderson ranked 45 in reception yards in the NFL last year and 64th in catches.   By today's standards he is a 3rd or 4th option WR, mediocre at best.  You really need to catch up on how good and how many NFL WR are more productive than Robbie Anderson.  A healthy Herndon on the roster from day 1 coupled with our FA and draft the Offensive roster is miles better than last year.  

Adams is a legitimate great player.  RA is a legitimate 3 or 4 in today's NFL.  Last years O was horrendous by any standard.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who’s worse?  We just traded away our only all pro. 
this is a team of JAGs and less, now with not a single play maker on either side of the ball. 

Mark my words losing Jamal won’t impact the defense as much as you think. CJ Mosley was always the best player on this defense.....rewatch the 1st 3 Quarters of week 1 last year 

Im concerned about the lack of weapons as well but it will be fine. If the OL can hold up Darnold will make somethings happen. I think Mims will make some sick plays his rookie year.  We have ammo to bring playmakers in Next offseason and the one after that. Patience was always gonna be needed with Joey D coming in.......Trading away Jamal doesn’t change that.

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Mark my words losing Jamal won’t impact the defense as much as you think. CJ Mosley was always the best player on this defense.....rewatch the 1st 3 Quarters of week 1 last year 

Im concerned about the lack of weapons as well but it will be fine. If the OL can hold up Darnold will make somethings happen. I think Mims will make some sick plays his rookie year.  We have ammo to bring playmakers in Next offseason and the one after that. Patience was always gonna be needed with Joey D coming in.......Trading away Jamal doesn’t change that.

We have no idea what Mosley will be when he’s back. Typically you don’t get nearly the player you had after an injury like that.  If he does play at his previous level, he’s fantastic and probably more impactful than Adams. But that’s a major question mark at this point and can’t be counted on. 

I love the Mims pick and the Zuniga pick. But again, every other team had draft picks too. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It isn’t. 

If we didn’t lose Sam to mono, a far inferior team would have gone 10-6 last year, made the playoffs, and getting all the hype that the Bills are getting.  

We are a 10-6 team adding Mosely and Williamson to offset Adams, adding a markedly improved OL, adding new K and P, and getting NFL-caliber receivers back on the field in a division where we have the best quarterback.  

Don’t listen to the SOJF weeping.  We’re winning the division. 

SAR I

Agree there is good reason to be positive with JD on the job, but this is not going to be the Jets year this year.  It will be the Jets decade starting 2021 once Gase is gone and we get Greg Roman.

Not saying the Jets will win the div every year with BB still coaching in NE, but the Jets are going to be competitive for a while to come...

3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Hard to know.  Last years D played very well.  If the OL gels and is significantly better coupled with a much better punter the D will be on the field less and teams will have to drive the ball a longer way to score.  While not having Adams may make driving the ball down the field easier, it also increases the likelihood of a penalty or turnover.  

There are lots of ways to win games in the NFL.  Having a good OL changes the equation on both sides of the ball.  Having a great punter and cover team adds yards to your team and takes them away from the opposition.  Douglas and Gase seem to be building a team from the OL out.  

• Upvote 1