Did Seattle Put The Hammer In Adams Hand?

Reading another post made me think about something I didn't  see discussed here (admittedly  I have neither the time or patience to read every Adams was traded post). Did Seattle just commit to signing Adams at any cost? We don't  normally  see a trade like this without the player already being signed to a long term deal. Adams is still on his rookie deal and Seattle has yet to offer him a new deal and since Adams needs to be on good behavior  now, all they have bought is a year of silence so far with player and draft picks (well at least until they put him on a 7AM flight). Are the Seahawks now committed to signing him at whatever the cost needs to be? I mean they can't  just say screw you, we are not paying you what you are asking for and if you think a better deal is out there, take it. 

• Upvote 1

There’s a tweet posted somewhere saying that Jamal and his camp agreed that he’d play on his rookie deal this year with no guarantees of a future contract being offered. 

But yeah, it was all about money. Hope the Jets get to be the team that knocks them out of the playoffs this year. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, slats said:

There’s a tweet posted somewhere saying that Jamal and his camp agreed that he’d play on his rookie deal this year with no guarantees of a future contract being offered. 

But yeah, it was all about money. Hope the Jets get to be the team that knocks them out of the playoffs this year. 

As if he has a choice.  He is boxed in and has to prove he can tow the line if he wants to get paid.  Seattle has taken very tough lines with players who are just as good as Adams.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

As if he has a choice.  He is boxed in and has to prove he can tow the line if he wants to get paid.  Seattle has taken very tough lines with players who are just as good as Adams.  

I agree. It was, “take the same money from the Jets or us, your call.” And then Jamal’s entire case that it was all about the money suddenly flew right out the window. 

Two years from now, Carroll, Schneider, and Adams could easily all be off that team. Adams is the kind of guy who’ll play for a minimum of four or five teams in his career, never satisfied. 

• Post of the Week 1

Everything is "rainbows & unicorns" now but SEA has given all leverage to Adams.
He knows the price they paid to get him and he'll use that to get the contract
he's looking for.  And I don't believe Adams will be satisfied with being the
highest paid safety (14-15 million), he's going to look for pass rusher money
in the 17-20 million range.  SEA has empowered a diva and they are going to
pay in money and/or drama, its only a matter of time  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, slats said:

The darker side of me would love to see Kittle blast him right out of his cleats in week 8.

33 minutes ago, slats said:

Seriously?  This has leaked, what a freaking turd.  That said, how are you going to give up 2 #1's and not sign him long term?  That would be insane.

I hope we knock them out too, we'd be hoisting a Lombardi!  lol

• Upvote 1

Odd scenario for Seattle... But we are free of him once the physical is done and clear. 

wayward pines GIF

Who knows Seattle could suck or the rest of Jamal's career trajectory could look like his father's. I'd rather he just get exposed by Kittle for the remainder of his career but I'll get a chuckle out of any of the above.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I wanted Adams traded. I’m shocked at what Seattle gave up to get him. I would never pay him this $20M/year figure that gets thrown around and, frankly, I don’t think anyone’s paying him that kind of money in the next two years. He wants 33% more than the next highest paid safety? **** off! 

And Seattle will have to weigh that for themselves. I think they’ve made a mistake here (and I’m grateful!). Giving this narcissist a big contract will not make him happy. He’ll always be a malcontent. If Pete retires in two years, does the organization still need an overpriced Jamal Adams? 

And Seattle sucks.  A Texas boy is going to hate it up there, for sure.  He wont be happy in Seattle, deal or no deal.  He's just a turd.

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This is not a normal situation. Seattle paid a ton for him. I doubt  they said let's  do this for a two year rental. 

58 minutes ago, slats said:

knocks...them...out...of...the...playoffs?

43 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Very good point.  Players like Adams and Revis have a lot less leverage when they play for teams  that actually know what they are doing...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

And Seattle sucks.  A Texas boy is going to hate it up there, for sure.  He wont be happy in Seattle, deal or no deal.  He's just a turd.

Yeah, he doesn’t seem like a heroin and grunge kinda guy. 

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

knocks...them...out...of...the...playoffs?

Not in, out. Kinda like Dallas last year. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seattle is gorgeous.  Something wrong with a view of Mount Rainier. 

Seattle sucks.  Go live their for a year.  You can see Rainier 2 months out of the year.

Place is miserable and completely assbackward. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I believe part of the appeal was having Adams cheap for 2 years 

he may accept a year at the rookie rate to play for a winner 

well see 

Seattle had Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor so they think Adams is as good as those guys

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Seattle sucks.  Go live their for a year.  You can see Rainier 2 months out of the year.

Place is miserable and completely assbackward. 

I lived there for 2 years.  I’ll take Seattle weather over the northeast any time.  It never goes below 40 degrees in the winter and it rains the same amount as NY

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seattle is gorgeous.  Something wrong with a view of Mount Rainier. 

Well being able to see Mount Rainer or the Puget Sound isn’t as nice as having a view of the slums of Newark or living in a cornfield in Kansas

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I lived there for 2 years.  I’ll take Seattle weather over the northeast any time.  It never goes below 40 degrees in the winter and it rains the same amount as NY

You could pay me enough to live in either.    Both are miserable. 

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Seriously?  This has leaked, what a freaking turd.  That said, how are you going to give up 2 #1's and not sign him long term?  That would be insane.

I hope we knock them out too, we'd be hoisting a Lombardi!  lol

Exactly.  Seattle 100% plans for him to be a Seahawk longterm.  But, part of the appeal and what has apparently been agreed to is that Adams will play this season under his rookie contract (something like ~$3.5M I believe).  They're getting a known Pro Bowler (no risk of Draft bust) at a rock bottom price for one year, and have some control for two years beyond that. Adams is under contract for 2020, 2021 (5th year option), and Seattle could use the Franchise Tag for 2022 if things got ugly....which they might.  But my guess is they get an extension done after the season.  Even Adams isn't dumb enough to go nuclear on two different teams in a 12 month period....he'd be showing that he's the problem, not the teams.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Reading another post made me think about something I didn't  see discussed here (admittedly  I have neither the time or patience to read every Adams was traded post). Did Seattle just commit to signing Adams at any cost? We don't  normally  see a trade like this without the player already being signed to a long term deal. Adams is still on his rookie deal and Seattle has yet to offer him a new deal and since Adams needs to be on good behavior  now, all they have bought is a year of silence so far with player and draft picks (well at least until they put him on a 7AM flight). Are the Seahawks now committed to signing him at whatever the cost needs to be? I mean they can't  just say screw you, we are not paying you what you are asking for and if you think a better deal is out there, take it. 

It's going to end up a rough situation for them regardless.  Signing Adams for $20M a year is bad.  If he doesn't end up playing a crucial role in the team winning a title in the next 2 seasons, letting him walk after coughing up two first rounders is also bad.  

On a lesser scale it's similar to the situation the Giants are in with Leonard Williams.  They have to decide between a pricey extension on a non-premium position OR letting him walk after 1.5 seasons, after having given up a 3 and a 5 to get him.

JD got the better of Schneider and Gettleman with these deals. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly.  Seattle 100% plans for him to be a Seahawk longterm.  But, part of the appeal and what has apparently been agreed to is that Adams will play this season under his rookie contract (something like ~$3.5M I believe).  They're getting a known Pro Bowler (no risk of Draft bust) at a rock bottom price for one year, and have some control for two years beyond that. Adams is under contract for 2020, 2021 (5th year option), and Seattle could use the Franchise Tag for 2022 if things got ugly....which they might.  But my guess is they get an extension done after the season.  Even Adams isn't dumb enough to go nuclear on two different teams in a 12 month period....he'd be showing that he's the problem, not the teams.

I never expected the levels he went to to get off the Jets. At this point, I’d put nothing past him. I didn’t think Antonio Brown was as nuts as he turned out to be, either. Having a dad who played in the league was supposed to be this big plus, but it didn’t help Kellen Winslow all that much. 

I would think that their hope is to resign him, but after his antics to leave here, I’m sure Seattle is interested in seeing how good a fit he is for a year (or two) before committing. 

• Upvote 1

Here is what I think Seattle is thinking.  Thes next two years they want a Super Bowl obviously.  If things go wrong and they don’t win or have issues with Adams they will look to trade him.  Obviously they will never get close to what they gave up but will get some type of compensation 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1