Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

30 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

yes

Wilpons are Brooklyn Dodgers whihc is pretty bad but Arod is a Yankee, There is nothing worse

The Mets need a modern Bill Veeck with a modern Buzzy Bavasi as GM

ARod grew up a Met fan.

My fear is a ton of investors acting like investors and not Mets fans might not be as inclined to spend on players, scouting etc as one whale Mets fan like a Cohen

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

How dare you downplay death? People die, all day everyday. The media is loving this & creating panic. If the media reported every car accident that resulted in death the way they report these Corona cases no one would drive a car because they'd be too scared! 40,000 people die EVERY YEAR in horrific mangled twisted metal. Imagine if every newscast they announced the death, photos of the car, tubes coming out of survivors noses in hospital beds. You'd be a anxious mess everytime you got in your car. 

The media has people believing that staying home & hiding will make this thing go away, it's not going away. It's everywhere, it's going to make its way through the population like every virus before it. Unions like the NEA are disgustingly using this virus to try & defund Police & have a moritorium to close Charter Schools? WTF? More kids will be domestically abused, or malnourished than what this Virus will kill. We have 350 million people here & the media is always chirping about positive tests, well no sh*t we'll have more positive tests, we'll also test millions more people being asymptomatic. 

Rational people are losing their minds. 

Yeah, I almost caught a car accident the other day. Just had heart, lung and kidney damage though. No big deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

The media has done a pretty awful job at reporting where the risks are.  Take Florida for instance.  There are still lots of cases, but what’s missed is that they put in policies nearly a month ago that has really reduced the acceleration of the spread.  That’s a big deal, and indeed we now see finally the cases turning around for them.

its this delay effect that’s a real problem for sports.  Policies you put in place don’t take effect for nearly three weeks, and if you wait a few days too long you can have  catastrophic consequences to your healthcare system and force shutdowns

Here is a site that models the R value..  rt.live

notice the problem in a lot of states that have small current case counts.  Well, be sure that they will be in the news a month from now.  They’ll be the new Floridas.

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Wow this whole Florida thing really strikes a nerve with you lol.

It's an admitted pet peeve of mine, the whole country is doing the same sh*t but Florida is the stupid state.  So, I will continue to share stories of the stupid states like Florida.  I give NY and NJ as the first examples. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's an admitted pet peeve of mine, the whole country is doing the same sh*t but Florida is the stupid state.  So, I will continue to share stories of the stupid states like Florida.  I give NY and NJ as the first examples. 

There are moron's everywhere, but i swear there is something in the water in Florida.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately the MLB took this risk of playing outside of a bubble and it's coming back to haunt them.  If the Marlins do play again soon, they will be basically fielding a farm lineup two weeks.  If they infected a good amount of Phillies then MLB should probably shut down and figure out how to get into a bubble fast if they want to continue playing the season.  

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

Unfortunately the MLB took this risk of playing outside of a bubble and it's coming back to haunt them.  If the Marlins do play again soon, they will be basically fielding a farm lineup two weeks.  If they infected a good amount of Phillies then MLB should probably shut down and figure out how to get into a bubble fast if they want to continue playing the season.  

Zero Phillies tested positive today, but it is still early. 

If they stop this season, there is no way they re-start.

22 hours ago, southtown24th said:

a lot more

You need to put the pipe down.  No one cares about the MLS.

Hell I have to think about the 3 letters in the leagues name.  

Soccer is boring as all F*%k, kids will never play so it will never take hold here.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

It's a good start but I don't believe the results can be trusted until they test around Thursday I guess.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You need to put the pipe down.  No one cares about the MLS.

Hell I have to think about the 3 letters in the leagues name.  

Soccer is boring as all F*%k, kids will never play so it will never take hold here.    

Where do you live? We got soccer for days around here. Pretty sure my kids are the only ones around here that fight play it. Yet, Lacrosse is really gotten big here in the last decade. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Where do you live? We got soccer for days around here. Pretty sure my kids are the only ones around here that fight play it. Yet, Lacrosse is really gotten big here in the last decade. 

If your kid wants to get a college shcholarsip and has decent athletic skills, Lacrosse is the way to go. Mid-Atlantic is a huge recruiting area for all D1 schools.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

There are moron's everywhere, but i swear there is something in the water in Florida.

Here are some fun facts; roughly 26% of Florida residents, were born in Florida. US citizens move to Florida, more than any other state in the country (last I checked we were getting 1,200 new residents a day).   The #1 state people move to Florida from, is New York.  Followed by Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio.  

So yes, it must be the......water.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If your kid wants to get a college shcholarsip and has decent athletic skills, Lacrosse is the way to go. Mid-Atlantic is a huge recruiting area for all D1 schools.

Most importantly, most, if not all the big LAX schools around here, are great academic institutions. D2 and D3 as well.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Younger boy played but ended up way more interested in chasing girls than lacrosse balls. Older one sized out in like 6th grade. 

• Upvote 1

Hightower just opted out of the season.  That makes 5 Patriots apparently.

I am guessing that the concern stems not from the initial effects of the virus which young people are overwhelmingly able to beat.  The concern may stem from the fact that even among "recovered" people that the effects of the disease can show up on chest X-rays.  In other words it it can/does leave permanent damage in some cases.

If you are professional athlete and your livelihood depends on being in the top 1% of physical ability/performance what happens if your lungs only leave you with 90% or 95% of the capacity that was there before?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Also I wanted to add.  If I'm the MLB, I would be working with the players union now to figure out how to get into a bubble by midseason at least.  They should at least try to figure it out.  

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I am guessing that the concern stems not from the initial effects of the virus which young people are overwhelmingly able to beat.  The concern may stem from the fact that even among "recovered" people that the effects of the disease can show up on chest X-rays.  In other words it it can/does leave permanent damage in some cases.

If you are professional athlete and your livelihood depends on being in the top 1% of physical ability/performance what happens if your lungs only leave you with 90% or 95% of the capacity that was there before?

Yet only an irrelevant number of players will / have opted out. Because what you just said is absolutely BS.

Just now, EM31 said:

Also Hightower just had a kid I believe this week. 

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here are some fun facts; roughly 26% of Florida residents, were born in Florida. US citizens move to Florida, more than any other state in the country (last I checked we were getting 1,200 new residents a day).   The #1 state people move to Florida from, is New York.  Followed by Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio.  

Florida is America's Community College.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-charged-police-n-j-215058804.html

"police in New Jersey spent nearly five hours shutting down the event that drew more than 700 people Sunday night to an Airbnb rental, authorities said."

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-charged-police-n-j-215058804.html

"police in New Jersey spent nearly five hours shutting down the event that drew more than 700 people Sunday night to an Airbnb rental, authorities said."

In Florida, the governor would have shown up like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused.

Yes, yes a party at a state that stayed locked down until the numbers came WAY down and has 440 cases a day and in which three people were arrested for holding the party is basically the same thing as the petri dish that is Florida. 

23 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yet only an irrelevant number of players will / have opted out. Because what you just said is absolutely BS.

What I said is absolutely BS eh?

Johns Hopkins: What COVID does to the lungs

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs

BBC: Warning thousands could be left with lung damage

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

Daily Mirror: Coronavirus X-Rays show terrifying damage in the lungs of COVID-19 victims

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-x-rays-show-terrifying-21672219

And about 12 million others....  That was just the top of the page on Google search.

I guess they must have doctored the X-rays in English newspapers so that Trump would be damaged politically on the other side of the Atlantic eh?

fkneejits

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, I almost caught a car accident the other day. Just had heart, lung and kidney damage though. No big deal.

Glad you survived, but can you post the video of you trying to fistfight the airbag afterwards? Thanks. 

• Haha 1

Tank for Trevor is on!!! This is in jest of course.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

In Florida, the governor would have shown up like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused.

Yes, yes a party at a state that stayed locked down until the numbers came WAY down and has 440 cases a day and in which three people were arrested for holding the party is basically the same thing as the petri dish that is Florida. 

What specifically is Florida doing wrong ? The hotspots have all had mask mandates for like 2 months.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

3 hours ago, JiF said:

and to risk it all for the a god awful band like the Chainsmokers?  WTF NY???

Humanity was a nice experiment.  It's time to move on and let the other species rule the planet.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Williamsburgh features a drive in movie theater right against the East River. Nobody has a problem with that, nor should they. The governor is a toolbag, not politics, simple fact. This....man...is now babbling how wings and sandwiches are not food, and you cannot order a drink unless you order some "substantial " food. Science behind that is...?

Uhh, did you actually click the link?  If they stayed in their cars, they were fine.  They didn't.  A bunch of people apparently got out of their cars and were standing close together in front of the stage.

17 minutes ago, EM31 said:

What I said is absolutely BS eh?

Johns Hopkins: What COVID does to the lungs

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs

BBC: Warning thousands could be left with lung damage

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

Daily Mirror: Coronavirus X-Rays show terrifying damage in the lungs of COVID-19 victims

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-x-rays-show-terrifying-21672219

And about 12 million others....  That was just the top of the page on Google search.

I guess they must have doctored the X-rays in English newspapers so that Trump would be damaged politically on the other side of the Atlantic eh?

fkneejits

Did you read any of those articles? No where does it say that a large % of patients suffer long term lung damage. Yes, in some cases, when patients have pre existing lung conditions there can be damage just like with any pneumonia. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

All states are stupid.  Florida is still among the most stupid.  Probably not as stupid as Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas.  But certainly top 5.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Your not funny. I’m a guy that believes, yes, wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance but im not under some stupid illusion that it’s not going to run through everyone at some point that has to make a living. 
The elderly? People with underlying conditions? Yes, stay home, be careful, but everyone else is only trying to flatten the curve. 
Most immunologists thought it would be much worse, so far we’re actually lucky millions haven’t died. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It attracts stupidity, yes.  If northerners want hotter temps, they have other options outside of Florida.