Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What in the world is going on over there? Sport all over Europe pretty much went off without a hitch - most soccer leagues have just finished up. Just copy the Germans. Always copy the Germa

no one could have predicted this....

Fitting that Derek Jeter would ruin all of sports and, by extension, America.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, rldev said:

You like to keep pointing out deaths. It is not just about deaths. People are getting sick. Many are experiencing lasting negative effects. Eduardo Rodriguez of the Sox is having heart problems after having Covid. At this time, nobody knows the long term health issues that apparently a third of infected people are experiencing. The ill effects are quite broad in scope. I know three people in fairly good shape in their 30's and early 40's that "beat" Covid in March. None are back to normal yet. I also know a handful of people that are dead. 

It's about deaths and keeping the most susceptible safe. 

• Post of the Week 1
3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

That's so nice of them. Tell them I say hi back.

C'mon rogue asteroid lets make 2020 really fun. See most of you in hell 😜.

comedy central love GIF by CsaK

Nope, heaven is for Jets fans, we've been through hell already.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't have much of an experience to draw from on this, but I would suggest that signing "retired" linemen is not a good idea.

Pure iron chips with a high purity iron cube

+

Lightning letter E Stock Photo - 46712410

10 minutes ago, rldev said:

You like to keep pointing out deaths. It is not just about deaths. People are getting sick. Many are experiencing lasting negative effects. Eduardo Rodriguez of the Sox is having heart problems after having Covid. At this time, nobody knows the long term health issues that apparently a third of infected people are experiencing. The ill effects are quite broad in scope. I know three people in fairly good shape in their 30's and early 40's that "beat" Covid in March. None are back to normal yet. I also know a handful of people that are dead. 

Covid is a very skillful virus with many health effects.  Some of which may take years to uncover.  And no matter how hard folks try to downplay the number, our country is approaching 150,000 dead from the coronavirus.   But thank God we're not in Brazil, where they had about 21,000 deaths in mid-May.  According to Johns Hopkins, they're now over 87,000.  That's f*ckin' scary.

24 minutes ago, EM31 said:

With all respect the National team plays so few games.  I am worried about the wear and tear he will get every week playing for the Blues if he is drawing special attention from other teams (as he already is apparently)

Lampard's aiming for some decent squad rotation next season.  He won't be just thrown out there every week.  As for the US squad ability around him.  Who knows.  I will say that this is the most notable amount of Euro prospects I have seen in a while along with some good MLS talent (Sargent, Long, Sands, Pomykal, Aarronson.)  But for every one guy who does decent (home or abroad) there are three or four players who flame out.  Plus the USSF is such a horribly run organization and both teams advocates are always at each other throats. 

9 minutes ago, rldev said:

“A third of infected people” is incorrect. In fact the WHO estimates that less than 1/10 of covid cases are diagnosed. Even if you are talking about 1/3 of confirmed cases, please show me a source or data showing that 1/3 are suffering from long term effects. 

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

“A third of infected people” is incorrect. In fact the WHO estimates that less than 1/10 of covid cases are diagnosed. Even if you are talking about 1/3 of confirmed cases, please show me a source or data showing that 1/3 are suffering from long term effects. 

Well, there are no long term effects yet as this thing is still relatively new. But  saying "we dont know the long term effects" is also a way to leverage more strict lockdowns, which I think are wrong at this point. 

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I would love to live in your world.

I bet you were one of those who held onto the "not all scientists agree" mantra on the dangers of smoking until big tobacco settled the class action and stopped paying off the one scientist on the planet who allowed them to say "not all scientists agree...."

Same thing with global warming I bet.  Or coal mines not actually polluting the air and water.

It must be good to consume your news from a single source but confusing too, I bet when Trump flip flops on what is orthodoxy five times in the same week and Fox jumps to change the messaging 180 degrees.

Never mind there is still One America News or Alex Jones or even Rush.

Does Alex sell any potions for COVID?

Alex does have a Covid potion. He's sold out out.

3 hours ago, usanyj said:

Working as an admin in a school in Jersey right now. It’s a daunting task that I don’t see being successful. If a billion dollar industry like MLB can write a 150 page plan and not be able to keep millionaire athletes healthy for at least a week. What hope do schools have? Plus with reports of house parties in south jersey leading to positive tests and not cooperating with contact tracing, I just don’t see how in 30 days we open schools. I’d agree and predict you’ll see a spike in a few weeks with everyone being down the shore and on top of one another.

First off, thank you for what you guys do.  Jersey schools are excellent, we're extremely happy.

And, yes, you said it all.  No way that school's can be safe for the kids or the teachers when the teens and parents that these kids live with are out and about disrespecting distancing and masks. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, I never said YOU were an idiot lol.  I'm kind of in the same boat as GL.  I think you are smart and sane individual.  I mean, you eventually came around on Jamal Adams all by yourself lmao, so it's clear that you are sane.  I don't really understand why you defend the loons down there.

It's a pet peeve, if you will.  I lived in different areas of the country, I've worked nationally for over a decade.  Stupid is everywhere and not exclusive to FL and it irks me when NE'ers say it because like 75% of this State if from the Northeast. lol

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Covid is a very skillful virus with many health effects.  Some of which may take years to uncover.  And no matter how hard folks try to downplay the number, our country is approaching 150,000 dead from the coronavirus.   But thank God we're not in Brazil, where they had about 21,000 deaths in mid-May.  According to Johns Hopkins, they're now over 87,000.  That's f*ckin' scary.

The number (150k) is obviously serious but also very misleading. 45% of covid deaths have been in nursing homes, the average life expectancy of someone in a nursing home is 13 months. 90k people die in nursing homes every month before covid.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Lampard's aiming for some decent squad rotation next season.  He won't be just thrown out there every week.  As for the US squad ability around him.  Who knows.  I will say that this is the most notable amount of Euro prospects I have seen in a while like some good MLS talent (Sargent, Long, Pomykal, Aarronson.)  But for every one guy who does decent (home or abroad) there are three or four players who flame out.  Plus the USSF is such a horribly run organization and both teams advocates are always at each other throats. 

It is true that Chelsea can go into the market place and create a deeper squad unlike last year with the ban.  I think there will always be pressure to play impact players more minutes.   If Pulisic does does as well as some of us think/hope then i think he will see lots of time on the field as a result.  It is a full year next year including Champions League play (good result on Sunday).  If he is not as impactful on the field then he will be played less and targeted less frequently by opponents.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Well, there are no long term effects yet as this thing is still relatively new. But  saying "we dont know the long term effects" is also a way to leverage more strict lockdowns, which I think are wrong at this point. 

Agreed 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

You could stay inside for 5 months & go to the grocery store & oops, touched my face. 

It's why I don't understand testing at all.  You go today, get test results on Thursday, and then what?  If you didn't bubble for Monday thru Thursday, the test is meaningless.   If you did bubble and then go out on Friday, then what?  You could get it immediately.

Having been to Asia 50 times in the last 25 years, they wear masks all the time when they are contagious and that's why, culturally, they are doing well right now.  We should be so lucky.

SAR I

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Puli is the most talented American since Tab Ramos. He’s also actively in a form so good he has few peers on the same level. Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema, Bruno Fernandes and Kevin DeBruyne and that’s about it. 

He needs to get over his injury bug, I think since he’s American he’s keen towards physicality rather than self preservation. He likes to take contact more than similarly sized players but if he does stay healthy then the sky’s the limit.

Hahahahahahahaha. Robert Lewandowski, Jamie Vardy, Ciro Immobile and many others say hello. I love Puli, but come on. Maybe in a couple of years. 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's why I don't understand testing at all.  You go today, get test results on Thursday, and then what?  If you didn't bubble for Monday thru Thursday, the test is meaningless.   If you did bubble and then go out on Friday, then what?  You could get it immediately.

Having been to Asia 50 times in the last 25 years, they wear masks all the time when they are contagious and that's why, culturally, they are doing well right now.  We should be so lucky.

SAR I

There is testing capability which would give you results in about 30 minutes.  Problem is that we as a nation have not invested in this technology.  It's not too late to get that production ball rolling.  But there needs to be a desire to accomplish it.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Politics

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's a pet peeve, if you will.  I lived in different areas of the country, I've worked nationally for over a decade.  Stupid is everywhere and not exclusive to FL and it irks me when NE'ers say it because like 75% of this State if from the Northeast. lol

Gotcha lol.  I will fully acknowledge stupidity is, in fact, everywhere and nothing I said applied to you specifically.

Ilu.

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

There is testing capability which would give you results in about 30 minutes.  Problem is that we as a nation have not invested in this technology.  It's not too late to get that production ball rolling.  But there needs to be a desire to accomplish it.

Sorrento Therapeutics has an 8 minute antibody test that they submit for approval 48 days ago. Of course they just gave another 474 million dollars to Moderna (who has never produced a drug in their life) for vaccine research. 

The Sorrento test is for both the long term antibodies that you continue to have after you are sick and the short ones that develop after you've been exposed for a few days. It's not perfect, but helpful.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, rldev said:

Hahahahahahahaha. Robert Lewandowski, Jamie Vardy, Ciro Immobile and many others say hello. I love Puli, but come on. Maybe in a couple of years. 

I’m talking about form. Lewandowski has been on the bench for a month, Vardy hasnt returned to pre-COVID form and Immobile was an oversight.

22 minutes ago, EM31 said:

It is true that Chelsea can go into the market place and create a deeper squad unlike last year with the ban.  I think there will always be pressure to play impact players more minutes.   If Pulisic does does as well as some of us think/hope then i think he will see lots of time on the field as a result.  It is a full year next year including Champions League play (good result on Sunday).  If he is not as impactful on the field then he will be played less and targeted less frequently by opponents.

My guess is that Lampard will continue to have Pulisic on the left wing in the Hazard role.  He'll probably be spelled by Willan from time to time with Havertz playing on the right also in a rotation with Willan.  Then in an emergency have a versatile striker fill in for Chrstian.  Timo Werner can play winger can't he?  Then just put in Giroud to striker.  Lampard thought he'd probably have more money but he's got to replace Kepa the goalie.  Who's fallen off the planet.

Sorry if I don't talk too much about the PL.  I am a very happy Man City fan.  And I want to tell every single club (esp Arsenal, Man U and Pool fans they can kiss my ____ing ass.)

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Sorrento Therapeutics has an 8 minute antibody test that they submit for approval 48 days ago. Of course they just gave another 474 million dollars to Moderna (who has never produced a drug in their life) for vaccine research. 

The Sorrento test is for both the long term antibodies that you continue to have after you are sick and the short ones that develop after you've been exposed for a few days. It's not perfect, but helpful.

Appreciate this information.  I was commenting on the positive/negative Covid test.  But the antibody aspect is really the major place where we should be heading.   Thanks again.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

My guess is that Lampard will continue to have Pulisic on the left wing in the Hazard role.  He'll probably be spelled by Willan from time to time with Havertz playing on the right also in a rotation with Willan.  Then in an emergency have a versatile striker fill in for Chrstian.  Timo Werner can play winger can't he?  Then just put in Giroud to striker.  Lampard thought he'd probably have more money but he's got to replace Kepa the goalie.  Who's fallen off the planet.

Sorry if I don't talk too much about the PL.  I am a very happy Man City fan.  And I want to tell every single club (esp Arsenal, Man U and Pool fans they can kiss my ____ing ass.)

City have been riding high for a while and like Chelsea they seem to have access to effectively unlimited amounts of money and the criticism from other clubs and their supporters who have to make do with less.  It is a challenge to reload without missing a beat.  Or at least without missing much of a beat.  We shall see.  It is hard to do.

As for Chelsea I like the approach of going with the kids and now that the transfer restrictions have been lifted I think it is likely they will spend to shore up the back.

Please God just say no to the idea of spending $150M for a 35 year old Christiano Ronaldo

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

sh*tting on other states is always silly, but good lord the northeast has zero room to talk about anything here.

Sure we do. We dealt with it and flattened it and didn’t reopen too soon. It may come back, but wearing no masks to make a political point and willingly ignoring the virus; how’s that working out? 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

Sure we do. We dealt with it and flattened it and didn’t reopen too soon. It may come back, but wearing no masks to make a political point and willingly ignoring the virus; how’s that working out? 

I will never understand the reluctance to wear a mask.  If not for yourself, do it for another person (family member, friend...) in society who might not do too well if infected.  It's not a big deal.  Until we discover, and mass produce, a vaccine and/or drug therapy, it's our best defense against COVID-19.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
24 minutes ago, EM31 said:

City have been riding high for a while and like Chelsea they seem to have access to effectively unlimited amounts of money and the criticism from other clubs and their supporters who have to make do with less.  It is a challenge to reload without missing a beat.  Or at least without missing much of a beat.  We shall see.  It is hard to do.

As for Chelsea I like the approach of going with the kids and now that the transfer restrictions have been lifted I think it is likely they will spend to shore up the back.

Please God just say no to the idea of spending $150M for a 35 year old Christiano Ronaldo

The transfer ban actually worked for Chelsea.  They played a bunch of kids Lampard rated from a ridiculously deep academy they never fully use except for $$$$.  And Lampard, fortunately, had the makings of a good manager.  Chelea had a good run of luck off the pitch.  Even if their defense fell apart a good part of the time on it.

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I will never understand the reluctance to wear a mask.  If not for yourself, do it for another person (family member, friend...) in society who might not do too well if infected.  It's not a big deal.  Until we discover, and mass produce, a vaccine and/or drug therapy, it's our best defense against COVID-19.

completely agree, as someone extremely skeptical of relevance, I do it out of consideration and not being an overarching a$$hole

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

not the sh*t soccer they play in MLS, no...

that's like saying: I don't support my local pizza place because the pizza in Brooklyn is THE BEST.

You can enjoy Brooklyn Pizza AND your local pizza joint.

Can't compare one to the other.

I live in LA.  I enjoy a slice from my local place.  It's solid.  It's edible.  It's good.

The BEST pizza is in NY/NJ but, that doesn't keep me from eating pizza here in LA.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, HessStation said:

completely agree, as someone extremely skeptical of relevance, I do it out of consideration and not being an overarching a$$hole

It still uplifts your spirit to do something good for someone else.  This simple gesture might be, quite literally, life saving.

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

that's like saying: I don't support my local pizza place because the pizza in Brooklyn is THE BEST.

You can enjoy Brooklyn Pizza AND your local pizza joint.

Can't compare one to the other.

I live in LA.  I enjoy a slice from my local place.  It's solid.  It's edible.  It's good.

The BEST pizza is in NY/NJ but, that doesn't keep me from eating pizza here in LA.

Back in the 80's, I spent a bunch of time in LA.  There was one pizza joint owned by a NYC transplant that was very, very close to pies back here.  Sorry, can't recall the name.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the 80's, I spent a bunch of time in LA.  There was one pizza joint owned by a NYC transplant that was very, very close to pies back here.  Sorry, can't recall the name.

Mulberry Pizza in Beverly Hills?