Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

completely agree, as someone extremely skeptical of relevance, I do it out of consideration and not being an overarching a$$hole

I live in  Arizona.  A month ago people were slut shamming mask wearers.   Not anymore.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

not my cup of tea over there.

there are some decent slices out here but, nothing like back home.

Geez, I'm talking about 40 years ago.  I bet so much has changed.  I loved hanging out in LA.  One of my favorite thing to do was driving Mulholland to PCH, breakfast at the Malibu Inn and heading up to Zuma Beach.  

EDIT: Oh, and is Inn of the Seventh Ray (Topanga Canyon?) still there.  Trippy place to take a date for dinner outside on the hillside.

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I live in  Arizona.  A month ago people were slut shamming mask wearers.   Not anymore.  

btw can someone explain to me the NYers slut shamming the Florida people when last I looked NY has 31k deaths, 6-12k directly at the governors hands of sending patients into old people homes ....and Florida has 5k. I don’t get it. 

5 hours ago, EM31 said:

I do think they are suppressing the numbers for a variety of reasons not least of which were interviews yesterday with a former employee of their department of health who was claiming that she was fired for refusing to doctor the numbers.

That and the fact that they seem to be moving heaven and earth to prevent the numbers from being reported via normal channels.

I am guessing those things never made it onto Fox News

Not saying just saying

EDE2E752-DDA7-4BC8-B9E3-0FD7941CCA03.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not saying just saying

Meanwhile, in Florida, a man killed in a Motorcycle accident had his cause of death listed as....."Covid-19 related".

It's ALL absurd. There is no answer but to plow through it.

• Upvote 3

I think much of it is attributable to beaches and South Beach bars/clubs/restaurants being shown with wall to wall people as the NE was suffering through their Covid peak.  Add to that Florida's governor chastising the media for "exaggerating" the deadly impact of the virus on Florida's population.

I hate that folks are shaming anyone or place.  We can get a handle on this disease if we all work together.  It's that simple.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I think much of it is attributable to beaches and South Beach bars/clubs/restaurants being shown with wall to wall people as the NE was suffering through their Covid peak.  Add to that Florida's governor chastising the media for "exaggerating" the deadly impact of the virus on Florida's population.

I hate that folks are shaming anyone or place.  We can get a handle on this disease if we all work together.  It's that simple.

The bars and clubs closed in Florida in mid March. Your timeline is off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Geez, I'm talking about 40 years ago.  I bet so much has changed.  I loved hanging out in LA.  One of my favorite thing to do was driving Mulholland to PCH, breakfast at the Malibu Inn and heading up to Zuma Beach.  

EDIT: Oh, and is Inn of the Seventh Ray (Topanga Canyon?) still there.  Trippy place to take a date for dinner outside on the hillside.

Yeah 40 years ago LA was LA.

I can't even imagine.  I really can't.

I've been out here for 7 years and I love the place (no city is better than NYC, hands down) and I won't be coming back (to live) anytime soon...I am here...this is my place and I love it.

I can't imagine this place in the 60s-70s-80s.  I am a huge music fan and a huge history of music fan and I love the stories of Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, the Eagles, etc. at the Troubadour, etc.  I can't even imagine!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not saying just saying

Pretty compelling if you understand basic math.  Florida did nothing to change the trajectory at that time and in fact the trajectory for the next 3-4 weeks was already baked into the disease pipeline and here, as if by magic (or manipulation) the numbers magically change.

1) Infection,

lag

2) Recovery or Positive test (in some cases),

lag

3) Recovery or Hospital admission (in some cases),

lag

4) Recovery or ICU Bed (in some cases),

lag

5) Recovery or Ventilator (in some cases),

Lag

6) Recovery or Death

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I live in a state that isn't stupid and is now one of like, 3 that have it under control.  NY is irrelevant to me.

What state isnt stupid? I have news for you the states with the worst outbreak are ny, nj, ct, etc.. it's "under control" because significant portions of their population already had it in March/April. Wich is is why the death rates around NYC are higher than anywhere in the world 

38 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Yeah 40 years ago LA was LA.

I can't even imagine.  I really can't.

I've been out here for 7 years and I love the place (no city is better than NYC, hands down) and I won't be coming back (to live) anytime soon...I am here...this is my place and I love it.

I can't imagine this place in the 60s-70s-80s.  I am a huge music fan and a huge history of music fan and I love the stories of Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, the Eagles, etc. at the Troubadour, etc.  I can't even imagine!

I'm a rocker from way back in the 60s (NYC, not LA).   I spent many a night on the Strip in LA checking out bands in places like The Troubadour, Gazzarri's and The Rainbow.  Actually bough Lemmy a drink once and had Sam Kinnison almost run me over as he was speeding through an alley.  Gave me a look like I was the one who had done something wrong.  lol

Enjoy it out on the West Coast.  Beautiful place to live.   Just watch yourself and make sure you wear a mask.  

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yea faking covid numbers makes tons of sense. It’s not there are thousands of stakeholders involved, like the labs running tests or the hospitals administering the tests, that would raise an eyebrow. 

The same people saying Florida is "at the brink" are also saying they're cooking the books. ICU beds are still fine. There is no ventilator shortage. The hotspots are not the backwood "Florida-man" enclaves. They are  in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade, which has a bevy of folks from the tri-state, who probably came down during the spike up north. Florida has plenty of problems, but the nonsense that's getting spewed here is ridiculous and flat out false.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

btw can someone explain to me the NYers slut shamming the Florida people when last I looked NY has 31k deaths, 6-12k directly at the governors hands of sending patients into old people homes ....and Florida has 5k. I don’t get it. 

Because the media and pols are out right lying at this point..

Paul Krugman, noble winning economist posting clear distortions. Look at his post vs what it looks like when go back to March and standardize Y axis

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1286624035195977731

1595688647995812391355324142693_6529175881308.png

ICUs are designed to always run at 90-100% capacity. It doesn’t make financial sense for hospitals to set up ICUs with hundreds of empty beds. When they say Florida ICUs are at at 90% capacity it’s... by design. What the media doesn’t report,  or know, is what the capacity is of hospitals to set up additional/make shift covid beds. 

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

ICUs are designed to always run at 90-100% capacity. It doesn’t make financial sense for hospitals to set up ICUs with hundreds of empty beds. When they say Florida ICUs are at at 90% capacity it’s... by design. What the media doesn’t report,  or know, is what the capacity is of hospitals to set up additional/make shift covid beds. 

Of course lol, dozens of ceo's have come out and said this literal obvious thing.

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

What is your point?

Krugman compared Florida to Italy to shame Flordia and had the Y axis much different plus off Italys peak. His presentation made Florda look much worse than Italy when the full data shows the opposite. Even population adjusted Italy did way worse.

You can argue that Italy was earlier in the game and less chance to prepare..  fine.. but make that point.. dont purposely skew the numbers and put in on blast to manipulate people for political ends 

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Krugman compared Florida to Italy to shame Flordia and had the Y axis much different plus off Italys peak. His presentation made Florda look much worse than Italy when the full data shows the opposite. Even population adjusted Italy did way worse.

You can argue that Italy was earlier in the game and less chance to prepare..  fine.. but make that point.. dont purposely skew the numbers and put in on blast to manipulate people for political ends 

Oh ok totally agree 

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

So Florida not being worse than Italy is the standard now?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm a rocker from way back in the 60s (NYC, not LA).   I spent many a night on the Strip in LA checking out bands in places like The Troubadour, Gazzarri's and The Rainbow.  Actually bough Lemmy a drink once and had Sam Kinnison almost run me over as he was speeding through an alley.  Gave me a look like I was the one who had done something wrong.  lol

Enjoy it out on the West Coast.  Beautiful place to live.   Just watch yourself and make sure you wear a mask.  

I figured with your little profile pic there, that's why I mentioned music...

Gazzarri's--I've heard legendary stories of that place.  It was long, long gone by the time we got here.

And as for the masks: the #1 most compliant zip code in LA when it comes to masks, you might ask?  90042.  That's where we live.  We don't leave home without it and nor do any of our peers, pals or neighbors.  We are,  certainly, doing our part.

All the best and Go Jets!

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

So Florida not being worse than Italy is the standard now?

Yes cause that's what I said. I wasn't pointing out how a prominent member of the media is clearly distorting data in very obvious ways to make Red states look bad. Not my point at all

This is a few days old direct from the CDC, you explain to me how the below jives with the narrative  for the past month that Florida did so badly and NYC did so great.  Your 7 day moving average for deaths in the entire country today is like 37% of what it was in March for basically the tri state area.

Fully agree there is lots of time left for these numbers to evolve and further agree that Florida isn't handling it well and should have mandatory masks. However, the MSM narrative of the past month is so far removed from reality its hard to believe anyone buys it at this point.

image.thumb.png.4413a348ce79afa0c510de8553e38ec6.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Thought leader Paul Krugman? I don’t make a move without him.

haha, doesn't he write for the NYT? I honestly don't know but I know he won a Nobel prize in economics and certainly knows what he's doing