Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Did you read any of those articles? No where does it say that a large % of patients suffer long term lung damage. Yes, in some cases, when patients have pre existing lung conditions there can be damage just like with any pneumonia. 

It is not large it is ANY.

If you are a 30M per year baseball player why take that risk at all?

And my point is that it is very far from being BS as you claimed.  Extent and severity may need further study but it is most definitely not "BS"

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

If your kid wants to get a college shcholarsip and has decent athletic skills, Lacrosse is the way to go. Mid-Atlantic is a huge recruiting area for all D1 schools.

Use to be Long Island. It was huge into Lacrosse, moved away in 85 so not sure if it still is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Here are some fun facts; roughly 26% of Florida residents, were born in Florida. US citizens move to Florida, more than any other state in the country (last I checked we were getting 1,200 new residents a day).   The #1 state people move to Florida from, is New York.  Followed by Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio.  

So yes, it must be the......water.

It's the place to go to die when you can no longer compete in the big city. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Your not funny. I’m a guy that believes, yes, wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance but im not under some stupid illusion that it’s not going to run through everyone at some point that has to make a living. 
The elderly? People with underlying conditions? Yes, stay home, be careful, but everyone else is only trying to flatten the curve. 
Most immunologists thought it would be much worse, so far we’re actually lucky millions haven’t died. 

Yeah, well, perhaps it shouldn't run through everybody at once? Because that's going to put a serious cramp in the making a living thing.

I've been sliding food under the door for Grandma for a while now, I push it with a broomstick.  You?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, well, perhaps it shouldn't run through everybody at once? Because that's going to put a serious cramp in the making a living thing.

I've been sliding food under the door for Grandma for a while now, I push it with a broomstick.  You?

Places are looking for workers. Florida will recover quickly, the death rate is WAY BELOW NY & NJ & CT

11 minutes ago, EM31 said:

It is not large it is ANY.

If you are a 30M per year baseball player why take that risk at all?

And my point is that it is very far from being BS as you claimed.  Extent and severity may need further study but it is most definitely not "BS"

none of the examples of permanent lung damage come from athletes in their 20s and 30s.... an athlete could be hit by lightning too, guess they should never go outside 

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What specifically is Florida doing wrong ? The hotspots have all had mask mandates for like 2 months.

It's the lack of central leadership in fighting and mitigating the transmission and spread disease. In other words the governor is failing and resorts to misinformation and an allegedly firing someone for not doctoring numbers. You also seek to like to keep touting Florida's death rate which, unfortunately, is currently starting to spike along with the massive number of cases they report every day.

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

none of the examples of permanent lung damage come from athletes in their 20s and 30s.... an athlete could be hit by lightning too, guess they should never go outside 

I guess I will wait for Fox News to tell you when to change your mind. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You need to put the pipe down.  No one cares about the MLS.

Hell I have to think about the 3 letters in the leagues name.  

Soccer is boring as all F*%k, kids will never play so it will never take hold here.    

never take hold here.

you must also be a supporter of the current admin because if you look at the rapidly changing demographics in this country: EVERY SINGLE PERSON ENTERING THIS COUNTRY (legally or illegally) is coming from a place and a country where soccer is first and foremost and far outpaces any of this other nonsense.

enjoy florida.

#floridaman

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Watch "Laurel Canyon" on Epix. Remarkable 2 episode documentary.

Seen it, love it.  Isn't it called, Echo in the Canyon?  Or is this a different one?

Better rock docs: The Eagles Documentary and Sonic Highways with Dave Grohl.

Thank me later!  

5 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

It's the lack of central leadership in fighting and mitigating the transmission and spread disease. In other words the governor is failing and resorts to misinformation and an allegedly firing someone for not doctoring numbers. You also seek to like to keep touting Florida's death rate which, unfortunately, is currently starting to spike along with the massive number of cases they report every day.

Should he be in the lab working on the vaccine? More press conferences? What type of leadership would you like to see? The person was fired like 4 months ago and the numbers are the numbers. Mask mandates have been in place. Bars/clubs are closed. The media reporting new cases with Kennedy assassination like coverage doesnt help matters either.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

never take hold here.

you must also be a supporter of the current admin because if you look at the rapidly changing demographics in this country: EVERY SINGLE PERSON ENTERING THIS COUNTRY (legally or illegally) is coming from a place and a country where soccer is first and foremost and far outpaces any of this other nonsense.

enjoy florida.

#floridaman

Soccer is a great sport. Probably the preeminent sport in the world in terms of revenues, butts in seats and eyes on TV screens.

The US has so many sports where they are the best that I doubt that it will gain the acceptance of a fan base if they have to concede that their national team is not even in the top-20.  Tough sell.,

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

This has been debunked.  

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/27/cdc-warns-many-young-adults-with-covid-19-report-severe-long-term-side-effects/

Information from the first few weeks is still floating around but young people are displaying long-term effects more frequently now.  Keep in mind this is all still very new and doctors still don't know a lot about it but remember that we don't have anyone who has had it more than 5 months so it's impossible to predict how long symptoms might last yet.

Now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is trying to quash this popular misconception that younger people simply don't get very bad cases of coronavirus. Indeed, as the CDC pointed out in a report, many young people are suffering severe long-term health consequences after contracting the disease — even though their over rate of mortality is quite low. 

In its regular Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) writes that "prolonged symptom duration and disability are common in adults hospitalized with [COVID-19]."

The CDC conducted a multistate telephone survey of a random sample of adults between April 15 and June 25, 2020. In this survey, the researchers found that roughly 19 percent of adults between the ages of 18 and 34 who had tested positive for COVID-19 did not return to their usual state of health within two to three weeks after they were tested.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Here are some fun facts; roughly 26% of Florida residents, were born in Florida. US citizens move to Florida, more than any other state in the country (last I checked we were getting 1,200 new residents a day).   The #1 state people move to Florida from, is New York.  Followed by Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio.  

So yes, it must be the......water.

"When those states send their people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're retirees. And some, I assume, are good people."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This has been debunked.  

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/27/cdc-warns-many-young-adults-with-covid-19-report-severe-long-term-side-effects/

Information from the first few weeks is still floating around but young people are displaying long-term effects more frequently now.  Keep in mind this is all still very new and doctors still don't know a lot about it but remember that we don't have anyone who has had it more than 5 months so it's impossible to predict how long symptoms might last yet.

2-3 weeks is not long term. It can take a year to recover from mono, it doesn’t make it a chronic disease. No one is saying that young healthy people can’t get sick. But the fact of the matter is that the chances of serious illness are incredibly low, especially when you use math that includes asymptomatic and projected cases that where never tested. The chances of death for someone in the physical profile of a professional athlete is lower than getting hit by lightning. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Seen it, love it.  Isn't it called, Echo in the Canyon?  Or is this a different one?

Better rock docs: The Eagles Documentary and Sonic Highways with Dave Grohl.

Thank me later!  

This is a different, and I feel a better one. You have to have the Epix Network.

The Eagles and Sonic Highways were also awesome!!!

• Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the vast majority of Nationals players voted against playing a series against the Marlins in Miami this weekend.

The final decision rests with MLB, but it's hard to see them going against a team like this. Perhaps a compromise could be made, with the series being held in D.C. instead. The Marlins have a COVID-19 outbreak in their clubhouse and it might still be a while before we know the full extent of the spread. There are countless reasons for the Nationals to be concerned, but manager Davey Martinez -- who had a heart procedure -- said on Monday that he was "scared" about the outbreak. This whole situation needs to be a wake-up call for everyone.

RELATED: 
    Jul 28, 2020, 12:06 PM ET

•  

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

2-3 weeks is not long term. No one is saying that young healthy people can’t get sick. But the fact of the matter is that the chances of serious illness are incredibly low, especially when you use math that includes asymptomatic and projected cases that where never tested. The chances of death for someone in the physical profile of a professional athlete is lower than getting hit by lightning. 

This doesn't mean they were sick for 2-3 weeks and got better.  It means that they have been sick for longer than that and are most likely still sick, which for this purpose is being used to qualify 'long-term'.  Think of how many cases are less than 4 weeks old, and many of those younger patients are still suffering from the illness.  It could get better tomorrow for many, or last months or years.  We just don't know yet.  But saying "young people don't suffer long term effects" is misleading and very dangerous.  I have two teenagers and have to drum this into their heads almost daily because of all the stupid crap being tweeted out.

Just to set context, one of my best friends is a pediatrician and his daughter is pursing her PhD in virology at a top school so she is very much in a lab on the front line of this illness.  I'm taking my information directly from her since she knows far more about this than me or any talking head on the TV or web.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

In Florida, the governor would have shown up like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused.

Yes, yes a party at a state that stayed locked down until the numbers came WAY down and has 440 cases a day and in which three people were arrested for holding the party is basically the same thing as the petri dish that is Florida. 

Ah, hyperbole (good movie though)... I live in NJ. Please stop acting like NJ is a responsible state. The state of NJ simply caught it earlier and it ran through the state like poop through a goose. So don't tell me people here were hyper responsible and vigilant about it because they weren't and in general aren't past wearing a mask in a store. People were having gatherings prior to the lock down ending. 700 people at a party and only takes 1 and then 700 people go back to where they live then a percentage of those people potentially spread it to their family and friends who then go to their own parties. Yeah sure, that isn't a large risk with an airborne virus. Just like when thousands of people shoulder to shoulder shouting for hours didn't lead to a surge in covid, but small memorial day bbqs are apparently a scourge...The northeast is being very hypocritical at this point.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

2-3 weeks is not long term. No one is saying they young healthy people can’t get sick. But the fact of the matter is that the chances of if are incredibly low, especially when you use math that includes asymptomatic and projected cases that where never tested. 

Professional athletes are in the TOP 1% of physical fitness/performance

When the long term effect are not known, why even take a risk that you may lose 5% or more lung capacity?

After all nobody haws proven that bottled water from Chernobyl is contaminated right?

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Should he be in the lab working on the vaccine? More press conferences? What type of leadership would you like to see? The person was fired like 4 months ago and the numbers are the numbers. Mask mandates have been in place. Bars/clubs are closed. The media reporting new cases with Kennedy assassination like coverage doesnt help matters either.

i'm not gonna get into a back and forth about what he should do and what he has or hasn't done because it will possibly steer this thread too far into a political discussion and it will be closed. let's just say i pay some attention to whats going on down there and i don't think he's done enough and i don't think he is a trustworthy person. and the blueprint he chose to follow is failing right now

to comment on your last statement though. why shouldn't the case numbers be reported daily? this is important information. people want to know whats going on. i guess your advocating for less transparency as far as that goes. seems like an strange stance to take that you'd want a less informed public. this is peoples health we are talking about. 

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Ah, hyperbole (good movie though)... I live in NJ. Please stop acting like NJ is a responsible state. The state of NJ simply caught it earlier and it ran through the state like poop through a goose. So don't tell me people here were hyper responsible and vigilant about it because they weren't and in general aren't past wearing a mask in a store. People were having gatherings prior to the lock down ending. 700 people at a party and only takes 1 and then 700 people go back to where they live then a percentage of those people potentially spread it to their family and friends who then go to their own parties. Yeah sure, that isn't a large risk with an airborne virus. Just like when thousands of people shoulder to shoulder shouting for hours didn't lead to a surge in covid, but small memorial day bbqs are apparently a scourge...The northeast is being very hypocritical at this point.  

Like poop through a goose. Well, Florida is approaching NJ's poop through a goose number pretty quickly by percentage of gooses to poop. I'm sure that number will be coming down.

New Jersey peaked on April 23rd and have steadily been going down since. I doubt they were at goose pooping point then.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

When the long term effect are not known, why even take a risk that you may lose 5% or more lung capacity?

After all nobody haws proven that bottled water from Chernobyl is contaminated right?

Yes we are talking about professional athletes in this thread. There is no risk of losing 5% lung capacity. It’s the equivalent of not going outside because you think a frozen turd is going to fall from an airplane and kill you.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

For sure!

I give up. Boobs make the front page, yes? - Imgur

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You need to put the pipe down.  No one cares about the MLS.

Hell I have to think about the 3 letters in the leagues name.  

Soccer is boring as all F*%k, kids will never play so it will never take hold here.    

Actually soccer is on the rise slowly but surely in the US regardless of personal opinions. https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellore/2019/04/26/soccers-growth-in-u-s-has-international-legends-buzzing/#1e28f49b17f1 https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/07/mls-is-back-tournament-opener-delivers-second-highest-mls-regular-season-audience-on-espn-in-three-seasons/ Soccer is less boring than MLB (only watch the playoffs), NASCAR (people watch for crashes), NBA (the travel league), Golf, and Bowling. As more young people grow up playing it its ratings will follow (over 3 million kids between 5-19 are playing it these days). 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yes we are talking about professional athletes in this thread. There is no risk of losing 5% lung capacity. It’s the equivalent of not going outside because you think a frozen turd is going to fall from an airplane and kill you.

and you know this how?

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Why do pro athletes take illegal steroids, blood dope and otherwise try to cheat to gain a small edge.  Take away 5% of the lung capacity on the front 7 and you probably need to add 2 more DL men to your roster just to rotate in.  Guys are taking oxygen on the sidelines before covid.  

You think co-morbidy doesn't exist in pro athletes?   Most of the guys in the NFL are probably borderline diabetic.  

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why do pro athletes take illegal steroids, blood dope and otherwise try to cheat to gain a small edge.  Take away 5% of the lung capacity on the front 7 and you probably need to add 2 more DL men to your roster just to rotate in.  Guys are taking oxygen on the sidelines before covid.  

You think co-morbidy doesn't exist in pro athletes?   Most of the guys in the NFL are probably borderline diabetic.  

I don’t know why we are talking about this 5% lung capacity nonsense. It hasn’t happened, it doesn’t happen, it’s completely hypothetical like any infinite of theoretical side effects that I could dream of for any disease. You guys have lost your god dammed minds 

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

So now we are dealing in baseless hypotheticals? Should we all stay inside for 5 years in case covid has a dormant symptom that takes 5 years to develop? 

it's not really hypothetical.....its happening

well at least the idea that there are long term health effects is not baseless. 

https://www.bannerhealth.com/healthcareblog/teach-me/what-long-term-effects-could-covid19-have-on-your-lungs