Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What exactly are you arguing here? The obvious error was the nursing home decision, it's the biggest reason behind the difference in mortality rate. The timeline of infection isnt overly meaningful with such a contagious virus. It was going to spread. Belgium is currently spiking too. We know more now thankfully and keeping the most susceptible away is by far the most important, while younger people are more frequently testing positive and are surviving. 

what he is saying is that you don't just go out raw dogging every chick you meet because HIV is mostly treatable now and that we don't see the same deaths we saw in the 80's

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

You sound just like Desantis. "Florida is doing great, we are stabilizing" As the cases spike and every other day they set a new record for daily deaths. I didn't say anything about ICU numbers I said number of hospitilizations are an indication that the positive test rates are not being driven by an increase in testing. The increase in testing is finding more cases for sure, but number of hospitilizations spiking tells you that transmission is also spiking.

The link I posted had ICU beds available. 

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

what he is saying is that you don't just go out raw dogging every chick you meet because HIV is mostly treatable now and that we don't see the same deaths we saw in the 80's

You think folks not wearing masks/social distancing isnt happening in the tri-state? Did you see the concert that was posted?

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

and can you imagine what the #'s would be like if NY and NJ didnt take the meausres they did (albeit far too late) and just syaed open like Sweden? 

i dont even want to think abbout that.

What I’m saying is, based on Sweden death rates per cap vs NYC, they’d have been of little difference statistically speaking? If not better? 

that said NYC is a geographical anomaly and it’s not apples to apples.

my point was that Sweden faired fine, statically speaking, without going into full lockdown and panic mode. Minus smugly sending sick into nursing homes via the Governor, I have no problem with trying to take the extra precautions that they took here.

but my issue is when people in the NE/NY/NJ get smug about it. 

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

NY death rates were far worst than Sweden’s

NY 20MM, 31k deaths

Sweden 10MM, 5k deaths 

Nnot destroying their economy didn’t help their economy”?

Compare the Rust Belt or Mid Atlantic to Metro NY...they’ve fared far better

Pretty slick comparing Sweden to NY. Perhaps we should compare their mortality rate to the US per capita or their neighbors? What do you think that number is? And that's with Swedish people being ten times better at being unselfish human beings than Americans and following strict social distancing.

it's called deflection. when you can't prove your point you just bring up something else. it works like this:

Liberal: "Trump's response to the pandemic has been a disaster"

Conservative: "If we had Hillary it would've been worse. That criminal let those guys in Benghazi die and Obama dumped millions in cash into Iran, just flew it in and dumped it off. Lock them up!!"

You're invoking politics here. And as I pointed out earlier- the spikes in cases in Florida are not in conservative areas, far from it. Not that it matters.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You think folks not wearing masks/social distancing isnt happening in the tri-state? Did you see the concert that was posted?

I never said that wasn't happening anywhere in NY. But hell at least they have a state-wide mask mandate

it's called deflection. when you can't prove your point you just bring up something else. it works like this:

Liberal: "Trump's response to the pandemic has been a disaster"

Conservative: "If we had Hillary it would've been worse. That criminal let those guys in Benghazi die and Obama dumped millions in cash into Iran, just flew it in and dumped it off. Lock them up!!"

Which is why I’d probably be a decent person to have a conversation w on either side as I...

a) have no party affiliation, vote for neither

b) somewhat pay attention

c) am somewhat open minded and respect everyone’s opinions 

but

d) am pretty sure Antarctica is off limits bc Aliens 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It works when you spew bullsh*t. Your "argument" deserved nothing more than what I gave you. Probably less.

Still not sure what you're arguing. Since NY got hit first and worst- there shouldn't be any cases in the country and everyone else is doing bad?  Unpack it for me here. Unless you are just in favor of full on lockdowns, there were always going to be positive cases (which is not a major cause for alarm unless you fall in to the two buckets)

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Still not sure what you're arguing. Since NY got hit first and worst- there shouldn't be any cases in the country and everyone else is doing bad? Unpack it for me here. Unless you are just in favor of full on lockdowns....

What do you suggest Florida does? Stay the course? 

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Pretty slick comparing Sweden to NY. Perhaps we should compare their mortality rate to the US per capita or their neighbors? What do you think that number is? And that's with Swedish people being ten times better at being unselfish human beings than Americans and following strict social distancing.

US is favorable per cap death rate. But to be fair via size we should probably compare US to Eastern europe overall. Our states are more like their countries.

38 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Excellence? No. Debunked of what? They have completely flattened the curve to almost zero while incorporating policies closer to the US states in question without completely destroying their middle class economics, while maintaining a death rate lower than multiple European counties who were hit at the same time. 

Sweden screwed the pouch compared to their neighbors.  Sweden, unlike the USA, has universal health care.  They also have a Social safety net which allowed everyone who wasn't feeling well or didn't want to go to work to get fully compensated if they didn't go in.  In spite of that the cavalier attitude of their health department rubbed off on the public and they failed relative to their neighbors.

In Sweden, unlike the USA, people could actually make a choice because they have a great social safety net.  The USA doesn't have universal health care.  Millions are losing or in jeopardy of losing their employer based health care as they become permanently laid off.  In the USA if you aren't feeling well and you were an essential worker you went to work.  That's one of the reasons our meat packing and farms were over run with Covid.  In this country if benefits aren't extended immediately, there are going to be people kicked into the street if they can't go to work or find work.   They will not be making an informed choice like the Swedes.

I fully support people making an informed decision about the risk.  By informed based on information we have today that will be changing continually over both the short term and long term based on science.

I'm frankly appalled by the libertarian lie that on the one hand says people need to make real choices for themselves while absolutely spewing nonsense to try and make it appear to all that the risk isn't there.  

Make a choice for yourself but don't pretend you have any real scientific knowledge to create a false sense of security.  The data is changing all the time.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

LMAO yeah because we should have had this disease on LOCK at the beginning when no one had ever seen the thing. Get the **** out of here.

Doesn't really matter, what happened happened, what's gonna happen is gonna happen, and no one will STOP IT just like every pandemic that makes its way through a country. It's always been about not overwhelming hospitals. You telling necessary Cuomo didn't BLOW IT when it came to nursing homes is revisionist history. He's a murderer. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Still not sure what you're arguing. Since NY got hit first and worst- there shouldn't be any cases in the country and everyone else is doing bad?  Unpack it for me here. Unless you are just in favor of full on lockdowns, there were always going to be positive cases (which is not a major cause for alarm unless you fall in to the two buckets)

I would suggest they take what actually worked in NY and NJ and implement some form of it. What he is doing now isn't working

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

Doesn't really matter, what happened happened, what's gonna happen is gonna happen, and no one will STOP IT just like every pandemic that makes its way through a country. It's always been about not overwhelming hospitals. You telling necessary Cuomo didn't BLOW IT when it came to nursing homes is revisionist history. He's a murderer. 

Did I say that? 

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

The problem areas remain confined to the southeast portion of the state. It's a big state and not a one size fits all solution here. Mask mandates are in effect for most counties (all counties that have major populations). Bars and clubs are closed. Testing is up tenfold. What is the state currently doing wrong specifically?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

So i'm thinking that makes Desantis a murderer as well? There are plenty of deaths happening in Florida right now that are a direct result of his screw ups in response to the pandemic

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I think through context of FL elderly population, if there were any state that should need more strict NE-like rules enforced, it would be FL. I also think people are drawing to many conclusions to equates as successful too though. Due to the questionable validity and increase of testing, I’m more inclined to continue tracking actual deaths vs cases. Although, so sad to say, even validly of death comes into question 

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The problem areas remain confined to the southeast portion of the state. It's a big state and not a one size fits all solution here. Mask mandates are in effect for most counties (all counties that have major populations). Bars and clubs are closed. Testing is up tenfold. What is the state currently doing wrong specifically?

What is he doing to try to mitigate it from spreading to the parts of the state that are in better shape right now? Or is it more of the same? You're right in that there isn't much he can do about the fact that he reopened too early and now the state is spiking.  Is he forcing tightter restriction in those areas or just throwing his hands up? is he learning the lesson and putting in restrictions for the places in the state that haven't spiked yet? Or is he still taking his victory lap for those areas while blaming the spike on Mexican farmers?

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Sweden screwed the pouch compared to their neighbors.  Sweden, unlike the USA, has universal health care.  They also have a Social safety net which allowed everyone who wasn't feeling well or didn't want to go to work to get fully compensated if they didn't go in.  In spite of that the cavalier attitude of their health department rubbed off on the public and they failed relative to their neighbors.

In Sweden, unlike the USA, people could actually make a choice because they have a great social safety net.  The USA doesn't have universal health care.  Millions are losing or in jeopardy of losing their employer based health care as they become permanently laid off.  In the USA if you aren't feeling well and you were an essential worker you went to work.  That's one of the reasons our meat packing and farms were over run with Covid.  In this country if benefits aren't extended immediately, there are going to be people kicked into the street if they can't go to work or find work.   They will not be making an informed choice like the Swedes.

I fully support people making an informed decision about the risk.  By informed based on information we have today that will be changing continually over both the short term and long term based on science.

I'm frankly appalled by the libertarian lie that on the one hand says people need to make real choices for themselves while absolutely spewing nonsense to try and make it appear to all that the risk isn't there.  

Make a choice for yourself but don't pretend you have any real scientific knowledge to create a false sense of security.  The data is changing all the time.  

I fully and completely agree with your last paragraph. Basically what I’ve been saying??.

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

So i'm thinking that makes Desantis a murderer as well? There are plenty of deaths happening in Florida right now that are a direct result of his screw ups in response to the pandemic

No. He is a Trump Republican

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/342364-beyond-the-veil-what-face-mask-requirements-are-in-place-in-florida

Can you make heads or tails of that? 

EVERYONE in NYC wears a mask. I'd say about 75 percent wear one outdoors and 100 percent indoors. That's a start. 

I don't think masks are necessary outdoors unless you're right on top of somebody.

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

What is he doing to try to mitigate it from spreading to the parts of the state that are in better shape right now? Or is it more of the same? You're right in that there isn't much he can do about the fact that he reopened too early and now the state is spiking.  Is he forcing tightter restriction in those areas or just throwing his hands up? is he learning the lesson and putting in restrictions for the places in the state that haven't spiked yet? Or is he still taking his victory lap for those areas while blaming the spike on Mexican farmers?

I think we see the significance of a positive test differently. I understand your points and Im frustrated that the numbers seem to be going up, but keeping the most susceptible safe is the one course of action that's the most important imo. Also juggling the reopen safely.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think through context of FL elderly population, if there were any state that should need more strict NE-like rules enforced, it would be FL. I also think people are drawing to many conclusions to equates as successful too though. Due to the questionable validity and increase of testing, I’m more inclined to continue tracking actual deaths vs cases. Although, so sad to say, even validly of death comes into question 

Hospital capacity numbers as well. In NYC, 1.2 percent of tests are coming back positive. About 25k are being tested every day or so. 

In FL, it's like 20 percent or something, the last I saw. 

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Florida is a big state with a lot of (vacant) land and some pretty desolate counties. Counties that have high populations (Palm Beach, Broward, Hillsborough, Orange Dade, Pasco, Pinellas) all have mask ordinances. Are people in Oniontown NY wearing masks? I doubt it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

What I’m saying is, based on Sweden death rates per cap vs NYC, they’d have been of little difference statistically speaking? If not better? 

that said NYC is a geographical anomaly and it’s not apples to apples.

my point was that Sweden faired fine, statically speaking, without going into full lockdown and panic mode. Minus smugly sending sick into nursing homes via the Governor, I have no problem with trying to take the extra precautions that they took here.

but my issue is when people in the NE/NY/NJ get smug about it. 

i was very interested in the outcome of Sweden as a scientist ( that's what pays the bills, i am a lab scientist)

they didnt do very well..

i posted the per/100k worse than the our whole USA ( not than NYC) 

Tho I am from long island i havent lived in NY state since...2001....

The fact that cases are spiking in Florida and Texas and such does have a lot to do with non compliance...  

what can you do? people are stubborn and proud and sometimes stupid. ( i would know, since i am also a people)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

What is he doing to try to mitigate it from spreading to the parts of the state that are in better shape right now? Or is it more of the same? You're right in that there isn't much he can do about the fact that he reopened too early and now the state is spiking. But is he learning the lesson and putting in restrictions for the places in the state that haven't spiked yet? Or is he still taking his victory lap for those areas?

The victory laps have been going on in all NE states too, which has been my major issue. There were no victories here. Stop shaming different states that are trying to work it out on different time lines and approaches as there’s no text book winning one size fits all approach. 

hence why I brought up Sweden as reference...and not as net greater or less than, but to show there has been no perfect solutions here. Grandstanding politicians on both sides however 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I would suggest they take what actually worked in NY and NJ and implement some form of it. What he is doing now isn't working

Well, I guess we'll see won't we. With the largest elderly population in the country it's pretty freaking amazing how low the death rate has been with the spike in positive cases. It tells me that protocols have been put into place for the vulnerable & the young people are just going about their business, not social distancing & letting Covid rip through knowing they have ways to suppress the Virus when caught early. 

Right now this argument about dumb Floridians is ridiculous since 95 South has been flooded with New Yorkers heading South to escape New York. I live on the coast in SC & just today I saw at least 9 cars with New York plates on a 8 mile ride.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think we see the significance of a positive test differently. I understand your points and Im frustrated that the numbers seem to be going up, but keeping the most susceptible safe is the one course of action that's the most important imo. Also juggling the reopen safely.

I honestly was rooting for Florida. I was hopeful that it wouldn't happen the way it is right now. I'm sick of this ******* virus like everyone is. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Florida is a big state with a lot of land. Counties that have high populations (Palm Beach, Broward, Hillsborough, Dade, Pasco, Pinellas) all have mask ordinances. Are people in Oniontown NY wearing masks? I doubt it.

I was in Duval for almost four months. When I got there, there were 435 cases. Now there are 20,000. Jacksonville is the biggest city landwise in the country.

People in Oniontown are certainly wearing masks when shopping etc.