Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

Just now, Philc1 said:

Have you seen the stats coming out of Florida?

Yes, I have.  It's unfortunate but still trails California and New York and Texas is right behind them.  IDK, might have something to do with Population but I'm not a scientisiteist 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

sh*tting on other states is always silly, but good lord the northeast has zero room to talk about anything here.

Actually, you're way off base.  NY has been doing far better after the initial surge.  Florida just keeps getting worse and worse.  The chart below tells a chilling story.

image.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JiF said:

Yes, I have.  It's unfortunate but still trails California and New York and Texas is right behind them.  IDK, might have something to do with Population but I'm not a scientisiteist 

Florida is testing a lot more than it was a month ago with people returning to the office and schools potentially reopening. The mortality rate thankfully remains relatively low and the average age of a positive case is like 37.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yankees-Phillies cancelled now too.

What does MLB do if an entire 4 game series is cancelled in July?  Do they play it eventually?  Is winning percentage going to decide playoff berths if teams don't play the exact same number of games?

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

Florida is testing a lot more than it was a month ago with people returning to the office and schools potentially reopening. The mortality rate thankfully remains relatively low and the average age of a positive case is like 37.

Oh I thought it was because we are stupid.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let’s just say it’s not a surprise a team in Florida had this happen.  And the nba restart I can’t wait to see that turn into a debacle

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually, you're way off base.  NY has been doing far better after the initial surge.  Florida just keeps getting worse and worse.  The chart below tells a chilling story.

image.png

Average age and mortality rate in Florida paints a different picture. The initial panic in NY/NJ with the nursing homes is what caused a lot of the issues. Florida has separated seniors who test positive from living assisted places.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

All I can say is this is some hoax 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What does MLB do if an entire 4 game series is cancelled in July?  Do they play it eventually?  Is winning percentage going to decide playoff berths if teams don't play the exact same number of games?

SAR I

I don't believe anyone has thought that far out. They are kind of winging it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

MLB players didn’t want the bubble because they wanted to see their families. Now they’re putting hotel people at risk, clubhouse personnel at risk, and their families at risk. It’s insanity. Like biking uphill into 40 MPH winds. 

Not entirely true. MLB owners realized that in order to maximize revenue, they could still receive local signage revenue by playing in home parks. At least that was part of it.

Blame on both sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Let’s just say it’s not a surprise a team in Florida had this happen.  And the nba restart I can’t wait to see that turn into a debacle

19 teams have players who have tested positive, all 19 teams play in Florida. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

37? That's like toddler aged in Florida years. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

MLB players didn’t want the bubble because they wanted to see their families. Now they’re putting hotel people at risk, clubhouse personnel at risk, and their families at risk. It’s insanity. Like biking uphill into 40 MPH winds. 

Agreed. It's a tough ask, but you are going to make millions of a dollars. Just go into a bubble for 3 months. Players that wanted to opt out of that could do so and forfeit their salary. 

The NFL is going to be far worse. Season lasts 6 months. Players are generally more likely to make dumb decisions. Not good. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. It's a tough ask, but you are going to make millions of a dollars. Just go into a bubble for 3 months. Players that wanted to opt out of that could do so and forfeit their salary. 

The NFL is going to be far worse. Season lasts 6 months. Players are generally more likely to make dumb decisions. Not good. 

After November 4th no one will care, NFL will be fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

• Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that 11 of the 33 players in the Marlins' traveling party and two coaches are COVID positive.

We learned Monday morning that eight more Marlins players and two coaches tested positive. The Marlins are dealing with an outbreak in their clubhouse, with the potential for wide-ranging implications. The team is still in Philadelphia and Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that they are waiting on more test results. Their home opener against the Orioles in Miami has been cancelled on Monday. The Marlins are going to have to dip into their 60-man player pool, likely with prospects and minor league coaches, in order to continue the season.

Jul 27, 2020, 10:40 AM ET

•