Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think the whole thing is showing how utterly useless and ridiculous pro sports really is. 

Yea we should live in a grey distopia where we go to work sleep and eat, no one needs enjoyment in life, totally useless and ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Harsh reality is if you don't play some games, especially playoff games,  you can never get the TV revenue back. There's no way to ever recoup that money.

I don't understand how the NBA and NHL sensibly both thought a bubble cut down some risk, and MLB did not do that. The NFL still can. The bubble doesn't eliminate risk but if think about it, it has to cut out some element of risk by limiting travel. And for all these sports if there's no fans where you physically play doesn't matter as much as people not getting sick. 

To be fair-NBA and NHL just had to finish their season. Much easier to sell this to the players than MLB which hadn’t even started. The NFL also shutdown the bubble idea pretty quickly. 

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This goes totally against conventional medial experience.  Herd immunity almost always requires >50% immunity to be effective.  

This note from Johns Hopkins suggest 50-90% is required normally and at least 70% for COVID-19.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/04/30/herd-immunity-covid-19-coronavirus/

This one from the Mayo Clinic points out that 94% is needed for Measles Herd Immunity and reinforces that 70% is estimated for COVID-19.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808

Just because one person in Glasgow has a theory that the number should be lower doesn't make it true.  I would certainly not gamble on it at this point in time.  I would put my trust in the to medical institutions that have been studying epidemiology and virology for the past few decades.  

Whether 25% stops COVID  cold or not wasn't my point, my point was that there is growing evidence that much lower levels of herd immunity can could limit R naught enough to prevent explosive growth. (the kind that over runs hospitals). Remember too that this only 1 arrow in the quiver of controlling outbreak, it's combined with masks, better hygiene, prevention of large gatherings, modest social distancing.. etc.

Both of those articles indicate how contagious the disease is has an impact, there are several studies that show immunity of 25% can stop the flu dead in it's tracks.  Remember early estimates of everything COVID were skewed towards bettter safe than sorry, effectively erring on the side of caution. The initial IFR estiamtes of 2-2.5% were way overstated and it's now looking more and more like .3-.5%

And it's not just 1 persons opinion, many experts have that opinion as well as growing research

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/22/science.abc6810

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-tricky-math-of-covid-19-herd-immunity-20200630/

image.png.6431860ac93a0f9cc36646c5d150fb81.png

The bubble idea is absurd. Let’s keep the entire leuage in a fish bowl so that if there is an outbreak everyone gets it. It’s not like the staff working in these bubbles isn’t going home likely through public transport in many cases. 

if players are responsible there should be no major issues. The NFL is testing players daily. If anything travel minimizes risk because it mimics a bubble scenario. The entire team takes a private plane and stays at a hotel...essentially a bubble. 

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The bubble idea is absurd. Let’s keep the entire leuage in a fish bowl so that if there is an outbreak everyone gets it. It’s not like the staff working in these bubbles isn’t going home likely through public transport in many cases. 

if players are responsible there should be no major issues. The NFL is testing players daily. If anything travel minimizes risk because it mimics a bubble scenario. The entire team takes a private plane and stays at a hotel...essentially a bubble. 

The idea is to create 32 bubbles.

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The bubble works. Watch the NHL. Every player has been tested (over 800) numerous times in last week with 4k test done and zero positives. They will now isolate and not have any close contact with anyone until their season is done. 

It's much easier and smarter than trusting 800 players to do the right thing in their homes, with their wives and kids who may be getting exposed at work/play dates etc.. and bringing it home. 

That is why you will see the NHL and NBA restarts work MUCH better than MLB. 

You are right, there is no guarantee that a player in the bubble won't test positive, but that is why these leagues are testing these players constantly even while in the bubble to nip any outbreak before 11 players test positive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, but in New York in March it was different and five months later with all the advance warning it’s just bad luck

Yeah not like NYC had Italy or China to go by, or seattle pocket. Not to mention the obvious issues with population density. My stock broker brother in law had enough sense to abandon the city by the end of February, he must be a sage. I also am dumb founded at Cuomo's rotten luck, who couldve guessed it

Weak sauce 

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yeah not like NYC had Italy or China to go by, or seattle pocket. Not to mention the obvious issues with population density. My stock broker brother in law had enough sense to abandon the city by the end of February, he must be a sage. I also am dumb founded at Cuomo's rotten luck, who couldve guessed it

Weak sauce 

Famously, both Italy and China had roundly defeated Covid back in February.

• Haha 1

Screenshot_20200728-224841.thumb.png.67e05177df84ab0d27e33659e16d461c.png

Look at total deaths by age group. If you are 35 and under there have been over 56,000 deaths this year. only 1061 are from covid. That means 55,000 people in that age group died from something other than Corona.

In life there are risks. These athletes are more likely to die in a car accident driving to the stadium, than from the Rona.

Play ball

Screenshot_20200728-224001.png

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Famously, both Italy and China had roundly defeated Covid back in February.

Remember when the evil private capitalist basketball organization suspended their crass money making operation before the heroic and wise civil servants of NY put their constituents health before $$? I wonder what information they were drawing on.. It's a mystery

Cuomo handled this terribly T0mblehead. De Santis is doing almost as poorly and may surpass him. Both things can be true. If DeSantis starts to get in Cuomo's league for death totals, can I come to your party?

On 7/27/2020 at 10:36 AM, SAR I said:

It isn't under control.  Millions have vacated Manhattan for the summer.  Tens of millions are working from home.  Camps are closed.   When the kids go back to school and families say, screw it, might as well go back to the office, it's all over. September is going to be awful, October takes us back to April, just watch.

SAR I

Honest question...do you think we will have a full NFL season?  I have no idea at this point.

10 hours ago, HessStation said:

I was saying CT has had 4K deaths w 3MM people and FL has 6k w 20mm people....CT is being celebrated FL is getting sh*t on. 

Death per capita seems like the best barometer to me unless I was a democrat or republican with confirmation bias. 

Yes you did.  In the recent past, Connecticut piled up a whole bunch of Coronavirus deaths, until we and the rest of the Northeast, as well as Illinois, learned quickly to deal with it.  Heck, when the virus first hit here, the CDC wasn't even recommending masks! So we applied the new knowledge to fight the virus and now Connecticut has the deaths down to 2 a day. For Florida, with 6 times Connecticut's population, the equivalent would be 12 deaths a day.  Instead, Florida is presently up to 186 deaths a day, and climbing.

Why didn't Florida adopt the same methods which have been shown to work in Connecticut and other states right away.  Why did the governor and state administration sit back and deny, deny, deny, until this thing became a raging wildfire?

Coronavirus: Florida reports 186 residents’ deaths, a new high, with 9,230 more COVID-19 cases

Healthcare worker Rahaana Smith instructs passengers how to use a nasal swab Friday at a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site at the Miami-Dade County Auditorium. Healthcare worker Rahaana Smith instructs passengers how to use a nasal swab Friday at a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site at the Miami-Dade County Auditorium. (Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.Florida reported 186 more residents’ deaths from COVID-19 on Tuesday, the most the state has announced in a day since the start of the pandemic. The health department also confirmed 9,230 new cases of COVID-19 in the state.

16 hours ago, Jetster said:

How dare you downplay death? People die, all day everyday. The media is loving this & creating panic. If the media reported every car accident that resulted in death the way they report these Corona cases no one would drive a car because they'd be too scared! 40,000 people die EVERY YEAR in horrific mangled twisted metal. Imagine if every newscast they announced the death, photos of the car, tubes coming out of survivors noses in hospital beds. You'd be a anxious mess everytime you got in your car. 

The media has people believing that staying home & hiding will make this thing go away, it's not going away. It's everywhere, it's going to make its way through the population like every virus before it. Unions like the NEA are disgustingly using this virus to try & defund Police & have a moritorium to close Charter Schools? WTF? More kids will be domestically abused, or malnourished than what this Virus will kill. We have 350 million people here & the media is always chirping about positive tests, well no sh*t we'll have more positive tests, we'll also test millions more people being asymptomatic. 

Rational people are losing their minds. 

This isn't the thread for this stuff. This thread is about baseball.

Go to the club if you want to discuss covid. This goes for anyone else as well.

I started to clean this thread up and well, I am not going to spend more time on this.

This thread was about sports. Everyone wants to fight partisan politics and bicker over weird state stuff.

This is now locked. We have an opt in forum for anyone that wants to talk about Covid without fighting.

https://forums.jetnation.com/clubs/