Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

A microcosm of what can occur when you start putting dozens of people together such as an NFL training facility:

STRAWBERRY, Ala. (AP) — More than 40 people were infected with the coronavirus after attending a multi-day revival event at a north Alabama Baptist church, according to the congregation's pastor.

“The whole church has got it, just about,” Al.com quoted pastor Daryl Ross of Warrior Creek Missionary Baptist Church in Marshall County as saying.

The pastor says the churchgoers, including himself, tested positive after the congregation held a series of religious services featuring a guest pastor over the course of several days last week.

Over the weekend, dozens more fell ill, Ross said, adding: “I’ve got church members sick everywhere."

“We knew what we were getting into,” he said. “We knew the possibilities."

Ross said only two members’ cases were serious, and as of Sunday, nobody had been hospitalized, though many had reported having fevers, headaches and respiratory issues.

He said some social distancing measures were in place during the services, which were held multiple times a day, and most members skipped the events out of concern for the virus. Those that attended sat with their own families. Masks were not required, the newspaper reported.

“We let everybody do what they felt like. ... If you were comfortable shaking hands, you shook hands. If you didn’t, you didn’t,” the pastor said.

The church is located in a small community called Strawberry, about 60 miles (97 kilometers) northeast of Birmingham.

https://news.yahoo.com/pastor-40-infected-coronavirus-church-113729563.html

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The season hasn’t started yet and the Chiefs already had to sign semi-retired Kelechi Osemele to protect their $45 million dollar quarterback.

I don't have much of an experience to draw from on this, but I would suggest that signing "retired" linemen is not a good idea.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A microcosm of what can occur when you start putting dozens of people together such as an NFL training facility:

STRAWBERRY, Ala. (AP) — More than 40 people were infected with the coronavirus after attending a multi-day revival event at a north Alabama Baptist church, according to the congregation's pastor.

“The whole church has got it, just about,” Al.com quoted pastor Daryl Ross of Warrior Creek Missionary Baptist Church in Marshall County as saying.

The pastor says the churchgoers, including himself, tested positive after the congregation held a series of religious services featuring a guest pastor over the course of several days last week.

Over the weekend, dozens more fell ill, Ross said, adding: “I’ve got church members sick everywhere."

“We knew what we were getting into,” he said. “We knew the possibilities."

Ross said only two members’ cases were serious, and as of Sunday, nobody had been hospitalized, though many had reported having fevers, headaches and respiratory issues.

He said some social distancing measures were in place during the services, which were held multiple times a day, and most members skipped the events out of concern for the virus. Those that attended sat with their own families. Masks were not required, the newspaper reported.

“We let everybody do what they felt like. ... If you were comfortable shaking hands, you shook hands. If you didn’t, you didn’t,” the pastor said.

The church is located in a small community called Strawberry, about 60 miles (97 kilometers) northeast of Birmingham.

https://news.yahoo.com/pastor-40-infected-coronavirus-church-113729563.html

God and Guns baby !!!!!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Well, it can be argued. He’s playing well, really well, but 1700 or so minutes of Premier League football doesn’t make him one of the most dangerous players in the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/ng-interactive/2019/dec/17/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2019

There’s a reason he wasn’t listed in the Top 100 players as recently as January. He’s a good player, maybe even great player, but there are many better ones. 

Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

January?!?!?!?!

JANUARY?!?!?!?!

That was LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BEFORE his recent run of form where he looked like an absolute world beater.  

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I have family in Florida.  I've heard stories about how people there are treating it. 

Yeah, the state, and the people within it, aren't the brightest when it comes to this virus.  I'm not going to get political, but, frankly, I'm not surprised.

I just went to a Publix a few days ago that was "mandating" masks, lo and behold there were still people walking around with no mask in sight. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

January?!?!?!?!

JANUARY?!?!?!?!

That was LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BEFORE his recent run of form where he looked like an absolute world beater.  

Puli is the most talented American since Tab Ramos. He’s also actively in a form so good he has few peers on the same level. Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema, Bruno Fernandes and Kevin DeBruyne and that’s about it. 

He needs to get over his injury bug, I think since he’s American he’s keen towards physicality rather than self preservation. He likes to take contact more than similarly sized players but if he does stay healthy then the sky’s the limit.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

January?!?!?!?!

JANUARY?!?!?!?!

Edit. I can’t be bothered to have this argument. 

50 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Well, it can be argued. He’s playing well, really well, but 1700 or so minutes of Premier League football doesn’t make him one of the most dangerous players in the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/ng-interactive/2019/dec/17/the-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2019

There’s a reason he wasn’t listed in the Top 100 players as recently as January. He’s a good player, maybe even great player, but there are many better ones. 

Form is temporary, class is permanent. 

His skill level is more than any American player I have ever seen.  And I have been watching American soccer since the NASL of astroturf and sweaty head bands.  You want to say he's "good."  That's fine.  I wasn't the one who said he's a star player.  Gary Lineker said that and not me.  You don't see an American player where Chelsea fans are going, "Lampard better sub 'em him off!  If he's injured... we've had it! 

Claudio Reyna cut the mustard.  Donovan was good.  Dempsey and Friedal as well.  Pulisic has raised his level passed any US player I have ever seen.  Say what you want about his form.  I know greatness when I see it.  If he doesn't maintain that level well that's his fault.  But he's been one of the top 3 players since the restart.

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

His skill level is more than any American player I have ever seen.  And I have been watching American soccer since the NASL of astroturf and sweaty head bands.  You want to say he's "good."  That's fine.  I wasn't the one who said he's a star player.  Gary Lineker said that and not me.  You don't see an American player where Chelsea fans are going, "Lampard better sub 'em him off!  If he's injured... we've had it! 

Claudio Reyna cut the mustard.  Donovan was good.  Dempsey and Friedal as well.  Pulisic has raised his level passed any US player I have ever seen.  Say what you want about his form.  I know greatness when I see it.  If he doesn't maintain that level well that's his fault.  But he's been one of the top 3 players since the restart.

I'd add Lalas (first American to play in Serie A), McBride, Tim Howard, Keller and Clint Dempsey to your list as great American players who "cut the mustard".

And imagine what the USMNT could have been if Giuseppe Rossi had decided to play for us instead of Italy.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Pulisic has raised his level passed any US player I have ever seen.  Say what you want about his form.  I know greatness when I see it.  If he doesn't maintain that level well that's his fault.  But he's been one of the top 3 players since the restart.

Fine, I’ll bite. 

Yes, Pulisic has raised the bar in terms of the ability of an American soccer player. But with the greatest respect, the bar wasn’t that high to begin with. 

There’s no denying he has natural talent, coached well by Dortmund, but even at Dortmund he had not scored more than 7 goals in a Bundesliga season. 

He is in great form, but is not near the top of any goal scoring charts, nor is he near the top of any chances created charts since the restart after lockdown. 
He has produced a few highlight reel moments which I’m sure are getting plenty of air time in the States, most notable in the Liverpool defeat. But he has yet to prove he is one of the top players in the world. 

Oh, and using Gary Lineker’s opinion as a reference point. ?

15 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Fine, I’ll bite. 

Yes, Pulisic has raised the bar in terms of the ability of an American soccer player. But with the greatest respect, the bar wasn’t that high to begin with. 

There’s no denying he has natural talent, coached well by Dortmund, but even at Dortmund he had not scored more than 7 goals in a Bundesliga season. 

He is in great form, but is not near the top of any goal scoring charts, nor is he near the top of any chances created charts since the restart after lockdown. 
He has produced a few highlight reel moments which I’m sure are getting plenty of air time in the States, most notable in the Liverpool defeat. But he has yet to prove he is one of the top players in the world. 

Coached well by Dortmund?  I'd say he was coached to be an investment.  That's not good coaching... that's taking a youth on trial and then signing them because they cost anything.  He was on the squad until Chelsea bit at a high transfer fee.  Pulisic's ability is down to him being an exceptionally talented player and Lampard seeing that.  But Jadon Sancho was the player that Dortmund were interested in making sure their coaches didn't f' up.  Pulisic was just cheap beef.  Just like all American players.  Cheap labor in a UEFA league that can't compete with the Premier and La Liga.  If Pulisic failed he would just be more proof that Americans can't play soccer. 

(cue Men in Blazers side gag about US players first touch skills)

20 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Fine, I’ll bite. 

Lifetime Chelsea fan here albeit from a distance since I moved to New York from south London in the early 1980s.

Pulisic absolutely looks like the real deal and will likely crack that top 100 list as early as a year or two if he keeps going.  Like Hazard he is going to have to demonstrate that he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy and effective even when he is targeted to be slowed down by the other team.

Goalkeepers aside he is probably already the best US player ever.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

IB4TL

Because the lock, you know it's coming

Hopefully we don't have to lock this but you are probably right.

Just a reminder there is a Club for Covid talk for people who want to do it in a civil fashion.

https://forums.jetnation.com/clubs

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fitting that Derek Jeter would ruin all of sports and, by extension, America.

If you get Covid the weight loss might make the medium shirt finally fit.  :)

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

People actually think the Jersey Shore is nice.

Jersey Shore is beautiful. Take it back lol. I get that people are being unfair to Florida but I will answer seriously.

Go look at Sea Bright NJ and what happened there. I live pretty close to that and post Sandy it is amazing what it looks like now.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I don't want to read this entire thread. Anyone notice any reason to lock it yet. Hit me up yo!

I got this one Crush.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, King P said:

This guy gets it

Agree with Brandt. Professional athletes are at no risk from Covid... a single NFL play is much more dangerous for a players health than covid... the "health and safety argument" is a joke.  The idea that a highly controlled professional sports league where everyone is tested daily could promote the spread of the virus in any tangible way is also laughable. 

Just now, EM31 said:

Lifetime Chelsea fan here albeit from a distance since I moved to New York from south London in the early 1980s.

Pulisic absolutely looks like the real deal and will likely crack that top 100 list as early as a year or two if he keeps going.  Like Hazard he is going to have to demonstrate that he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy and effective even when he is targeted to be slowed down by the other team.

This.  When playing for the USMNT he's really the only significant threat at this point.  Your strategy against the US has to be take him out of the game, double him, bracket him, whatever..... Pulisic is nowhere near what a Ronaldo or Messi is, but you can see that guys like that can effectively be limited (especially Messi when trying to carry the entire Argentina squad).  The baseball analogy as to be to protect Pulisic at the plate by having good players batting behind him.  Otherwise, teams will effectively "walk" Pulisic by letting him do whatever he wants on his own half of the field and then clamping down once he tries to build up something or stretch the field when attacking.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Hopefully we don't have to lock this but you are probably right.

Just a reminder there is a Club for Covid talk for people who want to do it in a civil fashion.

https://forums.jetnation.com/clubs

If you get Covid the weight loss might make the medium shirt finally fit.  :)

Jersey Shore is beautiful. Take it back lol. I get that people are being unfair to Florida but I will answer seriously.

Go look at Sea Bright NJ and what happened there. I live pretty close to that and post Sandy it is amazing what it looks like now.

I got this one Crush.

Fair enough lol. I will say my experience is probably clouded by Seaside, Wildwood and LBI. LBI aint bad but people swear by those beaches and town and its kinda like really?

33 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'd add Lalas (first American to play in Serie A), McBride, Tim Howard, Keller and Clint Dempsey to your list as great American players who "cut the mustard".

And imagine what the USMNT could have been if Giuseppe Rossi had decided to play for us instead of Italy.

I don't blame Rossi for not playing for the US.  It was the best Azzurri era since the mid 90's.  I would have done the same thing most likely.  And I don't know how big a difference he would have made.  The US won't become a Top 5 to 10 team until they produce depth.  That takes decades to achieve.  Not having the talent gap in the late 2000s like we've had would probably be a stepping point though.  We lost an entire generation of players for some reason nobody has figured out.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Coached well by Dortmund?  I'd say he was coached to be an investment.  That's not good coaching... that's taking a youth on trial and then signing them because they cost anything.  He was on the squad until Chelsea bit at a high transfer fee.  Pulisic's ability is down to him being an exceptionally talented player and Lampard seeing that. 

Ohhh no. You cannot discredit Dortmund’s coaching system in the role they played in his development.

Dortmund have long been known to give young players a chance in the first team and have been developing talent since Klopp changed the game from 2008. 

They took Haaland and he’s exploded (far more “dangerous” than Pulisic for what it’s worth), and they’ve just spent a fortune on a young English player (17 years old) as another one to develop. Players want to be there because they will be supported, coached and given the opportunity to play in European competition.  

You surely cannot be saying that Lampard has contributed to Pulisic’s development because he bought Pulisic? ? The deal for Pulisic was done in Jan 2019. Lampard became Chelsea boss in July 2019. 

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Agree with Brandt. Professional athletes are at no risk from Covid... a single NFL play is much more dangerous for a players health than covid... the "health and safety argument" is a joke.  The idea that a highly controlled professional sports league where everyone is tested daily could promote the spread of the virus in any tangible way is also laughable. 

Let's be a little careful here.  That's not true.  It's just the case that we haven't seen a significant case yet of an athlete ending up in an ICU yet or something.  But pro athletes are absolutely, 100% being affected in some cases.

1915641056_ScreenShot2020-07-27at12_30_06PM.thumb.png.b962b6a8ca0d19bd1f5c618c94d1f663.png

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You could make the case that the stringent every day testing makes it safer for them than being on their own and not playing. Either way, you are going to come in contact with others. But the risk factor for athletes in their 20's and 30's is miniscule. 

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I don't blame Rossi for not playing for the US.  It was the best Azzurri era since the mid 90's.  I would have done the same thing most likely.  And I don't know how big a difference he would have made.  The US won't become a Top 5 to 10 team until they produce depth.  That takes decades to achieve.  Not having the talent gap in the late 2000s like we've had would probably be a stepping point though.  We lost an entire generation of players for some reason nobody has figured out.

I would have done the same thing, too.   Like playing for the Yankees, who passes up a chance to don Italy's legendary sky blue jersey?  I just like to imagine the possibility.  We have never had a forward with that kid's natural talent and nose for the goal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I do?  Pretty sure that was Moggles.

I mean, I never said YOU were an idiot lol.  I'm kind of in the same boat as GL.  I think you are smart and sane individual.  I mean, you eventually came around on Jamal Adams all by yourself lmao, so it's clear that you are sane.  I don't really understand why you defend the loons down there.

10 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Ohhh no. You cannot discredit Dortmund’s coaching system in the role they played in his development.

Dortmund have long been known to give young players a chance in the first team and have been developing talent since Klopp changed the game from 2008. 

They took Haaland and he’s exploded (far more “dangerous” than Pulisic for what it’s worth), and they’ve just spent a fortune on a young English player (17 years old) as another one to develop. Players want to be there because they will be supported, coached and given the opportunity to play in European competition.  

You surely cannot be saying that Lampard has contributed to Pulisic’s development because he bought Pulisic? ? The deal for Pulisic was done in Jan 2019. Lampard became Chelsea boss in July 2019. 

Of course they had some effect on his development... every stop on a starlet's organizational chart has an effect.  (Chelsea's academy is exceptional.. they deserve some credit for signing and realizing KDB's talent.)  But I am not going to give them credit for giving him the break through that turned him into the player he has finally become.  Dortmund fans told me he had the talent... but he was as frustrating as he was exceptional.  It was obvious that Chelsea's staff saw the lack of fitness, realized his runs through the box were counterproductive and that he really needed to work on that... as well as his finishing with Lampard.  And Chelsea fans have said that they both really stayed in the practice area and woodsheded on that.  As far as Dortmund goes, look at it this way... how are they treating Reyna's kid?  He's been talked up since the moment he got there.  They see he's got a future in the club.  I think they saw Pulisic (past a certain point) as a quick pay day.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, I never said YOU were an idiot lol.  I'm kind of in the same boat as GL.  I think you are smart and sane individual.  I mean, you eventually came around on Jamal Adams all by your lmao.  I don't really understand why you defend the loons down there.

I mean the counties with the highest amount of cases are mostly transplanted folks from the northeast. Palm Beach, Broward and Miami Dade isnt backwoods.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This.  When playing for the USMNT he's really the only significant threat at this point.  Your strategy against the US has to be take him out of the game, double him, bracket him, whatever..... Pulisic is nowhere near what a Ronaldo or Messi is, but you can see that guys like that can effectively be limited (especially Messi when trying to carry the entire Argentina squad).  The baseball analogy as to be to protect Pulisic at the plate by having good players batting behind him.  Otherwise, teams will effectively "walk" Pulisic by letting him do whatever he wants on his own half of the field and then clamping down once he tries to build up something or stretch the field when attacking.

With all respect the National team plays so few games.  I am worried about the wear and tear he will get every week playing for the Blues if he is drawing special attention from other teams (as he already is apparently)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean the counties with the highest amount of cases are mostly transplanted folks from the northeast. Palm Beach, Broward and Miami Dade isnt backwoods.

Now this ain't won't argue.  Where my family is (Boca Raton) it's all transplants from NY and, yes, NJ who seems to think that the virus is a hoax that can't hurt them more than wearing a mask.

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let's be a little careful here.  That's not true.  It's just the case that we haven't seen a significant case yet of an athlete ending up in an ICU yet or something.  But pro athletes are absolutely, 100% being affected in some cases.

1915641056_ScreenShot2020-07-27at12_30_06PM.thumb.png.b962b6a8ca0d19bd1f5c618c94d1f663.png

congrats you found one example of someone having a fever. Sounds like he was having a panic attack from knowing he had covid and a fever. 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's not. But testing up by a lot. The average age of those contracting it now is low. The mortality rate (while all death is bad) remains fairly stagnant. I don't get why people are flat out ignoring this. A positive test for a sports team obviously messes things up, bu it's not an indication of much either as long as those who are susceptible are kept away.

You like to keep pointing out deaths. It is not just about deaths. People are getting sick. Many are experiencing lasting negative effects. Eduardo Rodriguez of the Sox is having heart problems after having Covid. At this time, nobody knows the long term health issues that apparently a third of infected people are experiencing. The ill effects are quite broad in scope. I know three people in fairly good shape in their 30's and early 40's that "beat" Covid in March. None are back to normal yet. I also know a handful of people that are dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1