Jump to content

NFL insider Peter King rips Jets for throwing away good players.


joewilly12
 Share

Recommended Posts

*Peter King is a NY Jets hater

Jamal Adams trade: NFL insider Peter King rips Jets for ‘throwing away good players’

Today 10:00 AM 
Jamal Adams

The Jets traded safety Jamal Adams to the Seahawks on Saturday.ASSOCIATED PRESS

 
 
 

Most NFL insiders and analysts agree New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas was smart to take an offer he couldn’t refuse: safety Bradley McDougald, first-round picks in 2021 and 2022, and a third-round pick in 2021 for disgruntled safetyJamal Adams.

But Douglas’ deal Saturday with the Seattle Seahawks points to a bigger problem for the Jets, according to NBC Sports NFL insider Peter King:

 

I agree that the deal was too good to walk away from. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Jets are a lesser team today without Adams, in a division that is suddenly up for grabs. The Jets look like the last-place team in the AFC East for the fourth year in the last five. They’ve got to stop throwing away good players, and they’ve got to start building the type of culture and team that attracts good players instead of repelling them. On the bright side, New York is in the best reconstruction position of any NFL team in the next two drafts, the only team with four first-round picks in 2021 and ’22 combined. Joe Douglas was hired to rebuild this team, and now he’s got the best ammo of any team in football to do so.

Getting the draft picks for Adams is one thing. Using them smartly is another story altogether. And it’s a story which hasn’t been a good read for the Jets for several years now, according to King. 

 

In the last four years, they’ve finished last, last, last and second-to-last in a weak division (other than New England) and gone 21-43. A big part of that reason is that their building blocks have been awful. Look at the 10 first-round picks from 2010 to 2018, who should have provided a foundation for the future: Kyle Wilson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Quentin Coples, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold. Only Darnold remains. Disgraceful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PETER KING

FOOTBALL MORNING IN AMERICA

July 27, 2020

From the Jets’ standpoint: I believe GM Joe Douglas would have hung onto Adams and forced him to come to camp, even after his rip-job of coach Adam Gase to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News on Friday. But two first-round picks made that point moot. I agree that the deal was too good to walk away from. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Jets are a lesser team today without Adams, in a division that is suddenly up for grabs. The Jets look like the last-place team in the AFC East for the fourth year in the last five. They’ve got to stop throwing away good players, and they’ve got to start building the type of culture and team that attracts good players instead of repelling them. On the bright side, New York is in the best reconstruction position of any NFL team in the next two drafts, the only team with four first-round picks in 2021 and ’22 combined. Joe Douglas was hired to rebuild this team, and now he’s got the best ammo of any team in football to do so.

I wouldn’t trade two ones for a safety,” one veteran GM told me Saturday night. “Particularly when you’ve got to pay the safety a lot of money. I like what the Jets did.” That was a common belief around the league after the Adams trade went down. But Seattle in this era will take the proven player over the maybe, and a motivated-to-stick-it-to-his-doubters Adams could be the best safety in football in 2020. The best safety in football is surely worth two picks in the twenties.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I wouldn’t trade two ones for a safety,” one veteran GM told me Saturday night. “Particularly when you’ve got to pay the safety a lot of money. I like what the Jets did.” That was a common belief around the league after the Adams trade went down. But 

I know people are probably thinking it after this quote, but rest assured, I am not a 'veteran GM.'

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't really see Jamal as being a factor in the Jets winning or not winning the division. CJ Mosley? Sam Darnold? Possibly even Le'Veon Bell? Yes, they could all be factors.

 

I'm trying to think of one game we could say Adams won for the Jets...am I missing something, I cant remember any?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peter King is Patriot-loving asshat.  We all know the history.  Jamal (as much as I loved his on-the field play) drove his own exit.  Joe D brought home an amazing haul.  In the long run, we have resources to build around Darnold.  Even though I still suspect we have a chance at the division/wild card without Adams this year.  This all boils down to whether or not Joe D can draft.  If yes, we have a future, if not, well more of the same from the past decade.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Look like the last place team for the fourth year out of five"

I love how articles and analysts like this just gloss over us not being last in the division last year under a new regime and then lump that in with the previous inept 3 years under Slapnuts Macagnan and Toilet Bowles. 

Agree or disagree with Gase all you want, what does the previous regime have to do with the current regime at all, anyone with an ounce of objectivity can see the difference between the current front office and the previous. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Wasn’t there one in preseason a few years back 🤔

ha, but I was actually being serious...he brought big hits but no game changers that i can recall. I still remember plays Ed Reed made, and Darrol Ray for that matter lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved Jamals game here but let’s be honest... his crowning moments here were a pick 6 against Jarret Stidham (backup) and a mauling of Daniel Jones (future backup).

He got abused by Gardner Minshew and it’s becoming clear now that his teammates don’t like him. He might be the best safety in the league but that is up for debate depending on who you ask... He’s a great player but some in the media need to stop acting like he’s something he’s not.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cimini started this crappy narrative the other day. 
People need to stop using the 70s,80s and even 90s model of sports teams management. Gone are the days of non salary cap and the 10 yr coaches and GMs remaining with the same team. 

These Jets players were all drafted by one GM and were moved on from by a different GM. 

It’s just how sports management is done now. And add in the social media platform used by players to say whatever they want, fans and media members fanning flames from that, especially the media for clicks and eyeballs, and it all leads to these decisions needing to be made. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant logic from the Patriots fanboy.  Um... It is not good that the Jets get rid of good players, but I would have made the trade too.

All the world trembles before the fiery logic of King's sports intellect...

I guess he's just sad that Tommy left New England... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

*Peter King is a NY Jets hater

Jamal Adams trade: NFL insider Peter King rips Jets for ‘throwing away good players’

Today 10:00 AM 
Jamal Adams

The Jets traded safety Jamal Adams to the Seahawks on Saturday.ASSOCIATED PRESS

 
 
 

Most NFL insiders and analysts agree New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas was smart to take an offer he couldn’t refuse: safety Bradley McDougald, first-round picks in 2021 and 2022, and a third-round pick in 2021 for disgruntled safetyJamal Adams.

But Douglas’ deal Saturday with the Seattle Seahawks points to a bigger problem for the Jets, according to NBC Sports NFL insider Peter King:

 

I agree that the deal was too good to walk away from. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Jets are a lesser team today without Adams, in a division that is suddenly up for grabs. The Jets look like the last-place team in the AFC East for the fourth year in the last five. They’ve got to stop throwing away good players, and they’ve got to start building the type of culture and team that attracts good players instead of repelling them. On the bright side, New York is in the best reconstruction position of any NFL team in the next two drafts, the only team with four first-round picks in 2021 and ’22 combined. Joe Douglas was hired to rebuild this team, and now he’s got the best ammo of any team in football to do so.

Getting the draft picks for Adams is one thing. Using them smartly is another story altogether. And it’s a story which hasn’t been a good read for the Jets for several years now, according to King. 

 

In the last four years, they’ve finished last, last, last and second-to-last in a weak division (other than New England) and gone 21-43. A big part of that reason is that their building blocks have been awful. Look at the 10 first-round picks from 2010 to 2018, who should have provided a foundation for the future: Kyle Wilson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Quentin Coples, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold. Only Darnold remains. Disgraceful.

Here is a better question for Peeta King. 

How many of those guys are still in the league ?

If he wants to rip the Jets Drafts the past 10 years feel free....you wanna rip Woody for asking the NFL for help in getting a head coach and getting Bowles and McCags recommened be my guest.

Jamal turned into a tool. He had to go and Douglas got well beyond I think Adams was worth.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, jetswin said:

I'm trying to think of one game we could say Adams won for the Jets...am I missing something, I cant remember any?

Possibly the Giants game which included the strip-sack-touchdown from him otherwise no.  

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

ha, but I was actually being serious...he brought big hits but no game changers that i can recall. I still remember plays Ed Reed made, and Darrol Ray for that matter lol

With the exception of the Jamal strip TD, I remember more Jim Leonard plays. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Pretty mild article tbqh.  

Read the first line, it's the only one that really matters. He's have made the trade too.

We all know the history, we don't need Peter King to tell us.

This trade is about the future, not our past.

Precisely, Lumping different management teams together to make stupid statements about the "Jets" or any team is really stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Here is a better question for Peeta King. 

How many of those guys are still in the league ?

If he wants to rip the Jets Drafts the past 10 years feel free....you wanna rip Woody for asking the NFL for help in getting a head coach and getting Bowles and McCags recommened be my guest.

Jamal turned into a tool. He had to go and Douglas got well beyond I think Adams was worth.

BINGO.... good players like who.... Wilkerson - we paid him and look what happened.  Richardson - Look at how his career ended up, Pryor - Meh

Lee - a backup  - Williams - solid but never lived up to his draft position.   Milner - Injury prone.     Listen all of these guys flashed potentia, not one was consistent.   Adams is a great player with 3 years of great play but like you said Jamaal forced this trade.   And for the record even if Jamaal was happy as can be being a Jet and the Seahawks offered this trade I gotta think 8 out of 10 GM's make this trade. That is a crazy haul for a Safety

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Pretty mild article tbqh.  

Read the first line, it's the only one that really matters. He's have made the trade too.

We all know the history, we don't need Peter King to tell us.

This trade is about the future, not our past.

This is just King seeing a chance to take a shot at the Jets.  And we all know he will never turn that down.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...