Insightful Trade Breakdown (Bart Scott)

KRL

I'm pretty sure I've heard Marcus himself talk about how the safety positions are interchangeable in this defense. I think he could definitely take the Jamal role. We also drafted a pure free Saftey with Davis and I'm not sure about this guy from Seattle we got who plays it also. I think it'll be a rotation this year with Maye leading it and we won't miss any important production.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Just look at the first game last year. You could see the loss of Mosley cost us a win. The difference in our ability to stop the run in the second half, where as he shut it down the first half. Jamal will never have an impact like that and our pass coverage is absolutely better without him. He sucked in coverage,  even if it doesn't improve it will be minimal and we just got 2 first and a 3rd to find out 

Up the off was probably  also the reason we lost. #imdebbiedowner #butright

7 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Jamal’s “role” only existed because it tailored to Jamal’s skill set and maybe more importantly kept from exposing his weakness. I personally like a more well rounded safety. Polamalu is what Adams “should” be given his draft status and legend in his own mind status. While TP could lay the thunder on a QB and RB, he also was dangerous in coverage. Adams is a straight up liability in covg. He’s looking to get paid so he can afford the lunch that TE’s and WR’s keep stealing from him. It’ll be nice to have more traditional Safeties again so Williams can dial more aggression from his front 7.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know everyone hates Jamal Adams but since coming into the league was the 4th ranked S in coverage.

He allowed only 50.4% of passes to be completed.  I'm guessing one of the 3 above him isnt Maye.  The whole he sucks in coverage is wrong.  Do is the he was at the point of attack because he couldn't cover theory. 

I'm sure that makes him probably at the top of the SS list

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I know everyone hates Jamal Adams but since coming into the league was the 4th ranked S in coverage.

He allowed only 50.4% of passes to be completed, guessing one of the 3 above him isnt Maye.  The whole he sucks in coverage is wrong.  Do is the he was at the point of attack because he couldn't cover theory. 

Watch what Kittles does to him.  You are so wrong.  Relying on what kind of metrics here?  Try INTs and PDs for starters.  He's solid in tackles.  Much more like LB stats than DB stats.  He's not used in coverage as much as other strong safeties.  The metrics do not tell the whole story.  He is very often late to the passing play and has taken himself out of range.  Yuck.  That is mediocre coverage.  No team should pay a premium for that particular set of skills.  Waste of money.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Watch what Kittles does to him.  You are so wrong.  Relying on what kind of metrics here?  Try INTs and PDs for starters.  He's solid in tackles.  Much more like LB stats than DB stats.  He's not used in coverage as much as other strong safeties.  The metrics do not tell the whole story.  He is very often late to the passing play and has taken himself out of range.  Yuck.  That is mediocre coverage.  No team should pay a premium for that particular set of skills.  Waste of money.

Those are the numbers and his ranking ESPN put up on a graphic.  

Passes defensed, comp % against.

He was used more in coverage than fans think, he isnt referred to as versatile or a Swiss Army Knife because hes only at the line, more of a LB.

I'll have to disagree here

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

my recollection of watching him in coverage was that too often he was a step or two late and the pass was completed.  

adams is a good football player, perhaps very good, but his stats were definitely inflated b/c the jets blitzed him a ton, and b/c they had nobody else to feature.  heck, jordan jenkins led the team with 8 sacks and he looks slow and awkward out there.  but if you blitz him enough he will get sacks.  this doesn't mean he's a stud.  i think guys like zuniga have more upside based on athleticism and that's what douglas is bringing in.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mosely + Williamson make up for Jamal's pressures.

Maye + Davis + McDougal improve Jamal's coverages.

Two first rounders turn into shutdown corner and edge rusher either via FA or draft.

And just like that, the Jets have a Top 5 defense.  Thank you, Jamal.

SAR I

make no mistake, adams was a very good player but i do agree the draft picks will go a long way to helping this team and possibly putting them over the top in the next couple of drafts.  and for all those who say the draft is a crap shoot they need to be reminded that over the past 7 drafts the jets had idzik and mac making the choices and even if the players they picked were decent they had substandard coaching staffs.  whatever was is history.  not to say douglas/gase will be wildly successful, just that they are a huge breath of fresh air over what was.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Those are the numbers and his ranking ESPN put up on a graphic.  

Passes defensed, comp % against.

He was used more in coverage than fans think, he isnt referred to as versatile or a Swiss Army Knife because hes only at the line, more of a LB.

I'll have top disagree here

there's no doubt adams is a very good player.  he didn't make all pro on looks.  anyone who thinks differently just doesn't know what they're looking at.  of course adams' bombast overshadowed his on field play, but that's another story.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He allowed only 50.4% of passes to be completed.  I'm guessing one of the 3 above him isnt Maye.  The whole he sucks in coverage is wrong.  Do is the he was at the point of attack because he couldn't cover theory. 

McDougald was 5th in coverage just saying

• Upvote 4

The mental gymnastics around here trying to justify the trade and even more ridiculous is trying to explain away Jamals talent. 
if you want to say we’re rebuilding and paying a safety big money at this point, even an elite one, doesn’t make sense - so let’s get picks.  while I don’t agree I can certainly understand the sentiment.  
but please stop pretending he wasn’t any good in The first place.  

He was all over the field and was actually very good in coverage.  He’s an elite talent and we traded him. Let’s at least have the courage to admit that. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Who was Adams shutting down in our division in coverage? Gronk retired & the Pats TEs were worst in the league last year! who is the Bills TE? We lost to Miami, the offenses in the NFC West are nothing to sneeze at. 

I cant wait to Adams vs Kittle. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That may be the case, may be true.

And I hope it is.  

Doesnt change the fact that he didnt suck in coverage.  

"Also, his 62.7 passer rating allowed in man coverage is fifth among defensive backs who were targeted at least 20 times."

https://nypost.com/2020/07/26/bradley-mcdougald-excited-to-be-joining-the-jets/

And has twice as many turnovers in the last 2 years as Adams... There is not going to be a steep drop off as some may seem to think.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Adams is a very good player, but his production is comfortably 90% replaceable. Mosley will be doing most of the stuff in the box that Adams was doing last year (Adams was basically subbing for Mosley there), McDougald, Maye, and Davis will handle the safety duties just fine, and they'll replace him with an extra LB on obvious running/short yardage downs. 

He's not worth $15M/year, and he's not worth two first round picks, either. I'm glad the Seahawks disagree, but they're wrong and they're gonna find that out. 

Just commenting on @Jet Nutthat Adams was the 4th best safety in coverage and I was saying that McDougald was the 5th best DB in man coverage. Meaning he was asked to cover a lot as a safety and Adams was not... Adams coverage was a liability even though his stats look good, GW understood his short comings as a player and tried not to put him in those situations. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Skeptable said:

Just commenting on @Jet Nutthat Adams was the 4th best safety in coverage and I was saying that McDougald was the 5th best DB in man coverage. Meaning he was asked to cover a lot as a safety and Adams was not... Adams coverage was a liability even though his stats look good, GW understood his short comings as a player and tried not to put him in those situations. 

I tend to agree. This is why I'm not concerned about any real fall off from the defense this year. Gregg Williams will put these players in a position to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The mental gymnastics around here trying to justify the trade and even more ridiculous is trying to explain away Jamals talent. 
if you want to say we’re rebuilding and paying a safety big money at this point, even an elite one, doesn’t make sense - so let’s get picks.  while I don’t agree I can certainly understand the sentiment.  

He was all over the field and was actually very good in coverage.  He’s an elite talent and we traded him. Let’s at least have the courage to admit that. 

Justify?  You would have been a panic on the Cowboys boards in 1990.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yes to all-over-the-field

no to "actually very good in coverage"  LOL  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

McDougald was 5th in coverage just saying

McDougal is very good in coverage, especially in the slot (for a safety).  Hes not a great in run support but thankfully thats a strength of the team whereas we need some help in coverage.  I dont see him as interchaneable with Maye as much as he is interchangeable with Poole.  Bot he and Poole can play the slot, blitz and drop in zone coverage.  That should allow GW to disguise what the secondary is doing, run some trap coverages with a blitzer and keep Maye as the centerfielder.  

Frankly, to get a veteran player like McDougal as part of this trade is a huge get and really softens the blow of losing Adams for the 2020 defense.  I think our fan base is gonna be pretty happy seeing how solid mcdougal is as a player.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If we could have had on-field Jamal without the whole off-field Jamal I'd have been perfectly happy. Sadly that was never going to be an option.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Which is encouraging that he adapts his scheme to fit his talent - too many coaches try to do it the other way round.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mosely + Williamson make up for Jamal's pressures.

Maye + Davis + McDougal improve Jamal's coverages.

Two first rounders turn into shutdown corner and edge rusher either via FA or draft.

And just like that, the Jets have a Top 5 defense.  Thank you, Jamal.

SAR I

Of the four 1st rounders the next 2 years the other 2 need to likely go to Oline and WR. We need the O to continue to be in step with the talent we add on D. I would contend that having a top 10 O would get you into the playoffs quicker than having a top 10 D, which we have had a lot like last year and end up missing the playoffs much of the time with that D ranking.  I was just using that as a measuring stick, since the Jets would be hard pressed to have a top 10 O. I'll settle for middle of the road like 16th and that could even get us to the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BCJet said:

McDougal is very good in coverage, especially in the slot (for a safety).  Hes not a great in run support but thankfully thats a strength of the team whereas we need some help in coverage.  I dont see him as interchaneable with Maye as much as he is interchangeable with Poole.  Bot he and Poole can play the slot, blitz and drop in zone coverage.  That should allow GW to disguise what the secondary is doing, run some trap coverages with a blitzer and keep Maye as the centerfielder.  

Frankly, to get a veteran player like McDougal as part of this trade is a huge get and really softens the blow of losing Adams for the 2020 defense.  I think our fan base is gonna be pretty happy seeing how solid mcdougal is as a player.

https://www.nfl.com/players/bradley-mcdougald/

There is a D at the end of his name... Common misspelling on this site and I'm not calling you out just using your post to try and correct the issue.