Clowney wants to play for Jets!

Positives: It’d cheer Gregg up and it’d burn Jamal’s balls to see them give Clowney $20 mil

Negatives: Douglas has been saying all day that they weren’t going to pay Jamal because no one is sure what the financial picture looks like short-term. Hard to see them handing Clowney huge up-front money without knowing if they’re even going to play.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Positives: It’d cheer Gregg up and it’d burn Jamal’s balls to see them give Clowney $20 mil

Negatives: Douglas has been saying all day that they weren’t going to pay Jamal because no one is sure what the financial picture looks like short-term. Hard to see them handing Clowney huge up-front money without knowing if they’re even going to play.

1 year deal

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No.

Build for the future.

He doesn’t want to play for the Jets either. He wants to play for the team who pays what he wants.

and guess what?

With Joe D, we ain't paying some dickhead just to pay him....so don't you worry about that

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would for sure look into it seriously, one year deal, even if it is an over pay, he walks we probably get  comp pick.

Bingo. We can see his versatility in Williams’ defense. I feel like this is a very low risk - high reward type move. One year deal and his contract will be off the books after next season. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been on the wanting of Clowney all offseason. He’d be our best pass rusher and we’d be able to keep him fresh with a strong rotation. Clowney was injured last year and the usage on the Seahawks was weird. Apparently, he only blitzed once all year. That’s crazy. He still put up good pressure numbers even though he was asked to do it all himself.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Jets better be prepared to pay Clowney a lot more( Ny state tax) versus Tennessee ( No State income tax) .    Money Talks with pro athletes .

There should be two ******* salary caps. One for teams in states with no state tax and the other for states where they roast your ******* balls.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So you hand him a one year deal at $20 mil and the season gets shortened/canceled and you just gave a dude $20 mil for nothing.

it would have to be prorated and have mile markers in there for games played and what not.  I dont think you could realistically sign anyone to a long term deal right now unless you are 100% sure of the player (like mahommes).  Clowney I like but I'm not sure I love enough to offer a long term deal right now in these uncertain times. 

48 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I love the Clowney concept on the surface, but I can’t help feeling a little Le’Veon, Ryan Kalil-type reticence. Hasn’t Clowney’s  production been slipping a bit? 

He's not asked to strictly rush the passer like some would think, but when he does, he does it extremely well.  Against the run, he might be the best OLB in the game.

Best article I've seen so far breaking down his impact: 

http://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/11/14/20962452/jadeveon-clowney-seahawks-defense-touchdown-49ers-texans-film-breakdown

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's not asked to strictly rush the passer like some would think, but when he does, he does it extremely well.  Against the run, he might be the best OLB in the game.

Best article I've seen so far breaking down his impact: 

www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/11/14/20962452/jadeveon-clowney-seahawks-defense-touchdown-49ers-texans-film-breakdown

Clowney has been a good pro so far.  He hasn’t been as good as he could be but he’s been good all around.  The people acting like he’s Gholston are ignorant 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I love the Clowney concept on the surface, but I can’t help feeling a little Le’Veon, Ryan Kalil-type reticence. Hasn’t Clowney’s  production been slipping a bit? 

Kalil sucked because he was ancient.  Clowney is still in his prime

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I would do it. He would be able to match the sack total / impact the run game just like Adams. And as a matter of fact, Clowney HAS single handedly destroyed games before... so it might even be an upgrade 

This would allow the secondary to roam and pick off passes like they’re supposed to

College bowl games don’t count.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Jets better be prepared to pay Clowney a lot more( Ny state tax) versus Tennessee ( No State income tax) .    Money Talks with pro athletes .

You guys do realize these players pay taxes in all states they play away games in? 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

You guys do realize these players pay taxes in all states they play away games in? 

Eight games is still a big amount of money to throw away( talking millions of dollars - do the math) .  The Jets if they are serious for Clowney they are going to Have to up it that it’s competitive with the Titans offer.    Only way a player takes less is if that team on cusp of Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Eight games is still a big amount of money to throw away( talking millions of dollars - do the math) .  The Jets if they are serious for Clowney they are going to Have to up it that it’s competitive with the Titans offer.    Only way a player takes less is if that team on cusp of Super Bowl.

You’re actually only talking about $900,000 dollars extra over the course of a season if the player is making $20,000,000 a year. That’s a lot of money to most people but barely a blip in negotiations. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Clowney would be exciting but he only got 3 sacks- jets are already good at stopping the run.  

Clowney had 9.5 sacks in 2017 and 9 sacks in 2018. And he's still only 27.

Khalil Mack only had 8.5 sacks last year. 

Sacks are a very volatile statistic. 

Clowney brings you a very good all around defensive end. There are players who will get you more sacks but only come on the field on obvious passing plays but are liabilities otherwise. 

The only issue I have with clowney is his health.

• Upvote 4