Clowney wants to play for Jets!

Clowney doesn’t always have traditional production but he’s still really disruptive and needs to be accounted for. Would add that piece back to the defense - only at an important position this time. One of need, too. Would be fantastic.

• Upvote 2

Yeah he wants to play for the Jets because no one has picked him up. That should tell you something. Seems like at times he’s an impact player and other times he’s invisible. And with his injury history to boot...  Pass.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and let's say worst case scenario we sign Clowney to a 1-year, $20M fully guaranteed deal, and there is no season, pushing the Clowney $20M cap hit onto the 2021 payroll.

Let's also say the cap drops to the minimum, $175M.  Obviously a nightmare scenario for much of the NFL.

We'd only be projected to be about $1M over the cap in 2021, with a lot of routes to creating cap space.  Cutting/trading Bell, Henry Anderson, Enunwa and Alex Lewis would free up $31.1M in cap space.  Then, we could get some more by restructuring/extending the deals for Crowder ($10.5M) and George Fant ($7.4M).  Or cutting/trading them, if need be.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Yeah he wants to play for the Jets because no one has picked him up. That should tell you something. Seems like at times he’s an impact player and other times he’s invisible. And with his injury history to boot...  Pass.

Wrong. He's turned down offers from other teams and the browns offered him a lot of money. He said no thanks.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

With Jamal gone, the Jets really have nobody up for contract over the next 2 years.  They could give Clowney more for longer but be wise with it where they can get out after 2 years.  I think it will be money well spent.  He's an effort guy and I think would flourish under Williams and he just fills such a huge hole.  I also think he could be huge for QW.  There really isnt another double team kind of guy on the front 7.

A big reason I say 1-year deal is not the cap space aspect.  It's the comp pick aspect.

I want Douglas to go hard after comp picks next season.  We still have so many needs, so we'll need to add some decent FA's.  Clowney would help us in the comp pick battle.

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, and let's say worst case scenario we sign Clowney to a 1-year, $20M fully guaranteed deal, and there is no season, pushing the Clowney $20M cap hit onto the 2021 payroll.

Did you just make that entirely up or was it even suggested in an official statement?  I have never heard anything remotely like that and it makes no sense in any case for so many reasons.  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Did you just make that entirely up or was it even suggested in an official statement?  I have never heard anything remotely like that and it makes no sense in any case for so many reasons.  

Like I said.  Worst case scenario.  My point was to demonstrate that there's little downside to signing Clowney to an expensive 1-year deal prior to knowing whether the season gets played or not.

I have no idea whether it would push to 2021.  I'm making an assumption.  If there's no season, it would make sense to me that everything gets pushed back a year, to 2021.  

What's the alternative?  

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Like I said.  Worst case scenario.  My point was to demonstrate that there's little downside to signing Clowney to an expensive 1-year deal prior to knowing whether the season gets played or not.

I have no idea whether it would push to 2021.  I'm making an assumption.  If there's no season, it would make sense to me that everything gets pushed back a year, to 2021.  

What's the alternative?  

No.  If the season doesn't happen, the contracts don't roll out a year.  The NFL has already stated that clearly:

• If the season is canceled before final training camp roster cutdown, any player who is on a training camp roster and earned a 2019 credited season or was drafted in 2020 will get a $250,000 stipend and his NFL player health insurance. A player who did not earn a 2019 credited season or was undrafted in 2020 will get a $50,000 stipend. If the season is canceled before final roster cutdowns, all contracts toll.

• If the season is canceled after final cutdown, a player who is on the roster at the time of cancellation will get a stipend of $300,000 offset by any salary he earned during the season, plus health insurance. Practice squad players will get $100,000 stipends (offset by any salary already earned) and health insurance

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No.  If the season doesn't happen, the contracts don't roll out a year.  The NFL has already stated that clearly:

So all players would get paid for the full season?  

I thought Week 1 of the season needed to happen for that to be the case.  Interesting.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Our interior Dline was one of the best in the league last year. Plus their upside is huge as Shepard was just getting in his groove, Foley & Phillips will have experience now & our LBs are back. 

You add Clowney or Ngokeou to that line with our LBs & NO ONE is running on the Jets. GW instantly has the upper hand regarding making a team one sided & bringing the pressure from everywhere. 

F*ck the Johnsons money. Spend it as long as it doesn't hurt future cap. I want to win the division THIS YEAR, Jim Kelly & Marino, nor Brady are QBs in this division anymore! Allen? Injured Cam? Fitz? What are we waiting for? Let's go win us a division while we're have a young gunslinging QB. 

If Clowney is on the Jets in 2020 you can almost bet he will injure one of the AFC East QB's. Lord help Tua if he has Clowney chasing him.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So all players would get paid for the full season?  

I thought Week 1 of the season needed to happen for that to be the case.  Interesting.

My wrongness on the NFL/NFLPA agreement aside, my point still stands:  If all we're risking it Woody and Chris Johnson's money, I'm OK with that. 

In no scenario will signing Clowney to a 1-year deal prevent us from bringing in someone else we like, whether that's in 2020 or beyond.  

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My wrongness on the NFL/NFLPA agreement aside, my point still stands:  If all we're risking it Woody and Chris Johnson's money, I'm OK with that. 

In no scenario will signing Clowney to a 1-year deal prevent us from bringing in someone else we like, whether that's in 2020 or beyond.  

I agree with you about that.  A 1-year deal, possibly with a team option for a 2nd year, has no real downside if we have the cap for it.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I thought JD kicked the tires on Clowney 2 months ago.  Maybe he is slow playing it, but you'd think the deal would need to be done soon if it were going to happen. Soon like within the week.

Not really.  If there's no real interest from any other team out there, Douglas has the ability to wait it out and see if Clowney comes down a bit on his demands just to ensure he gets on a team.  Bidding against himself would be a Maccagnan-like move.

With the uncertainty of whether a 2020 season will happen, the onus is on Clowney to be the one to blink first on this one.  Lock in those 2020 paychecks while you can.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Ugh... @Jetsfan80 I think I may have been wrong so I want to own it.  I misread my own post.  If contracts toll, that means they do pause and get resumed next season.  I did a quick scan of the rules (which are very long) and it looks like guaranteed money does roll into next year.  I don't know if and how that might apply to a player in the last year of his contract though.

So for now, I'm just gonna say it's not clear to me at least and maybe someone who has time and interest can summarize it better.  I think KRL put up a post about this recently as well.

Sorry, man.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Ugh... @Jetsfan80 I think I may have been wrong so I want to own it.  I misread my own post.  If contracts toll, that means they do pause and get resumed next season.  I did a quick scan of the rules (which are very long) and it looks like guaranteed money does roll into next year.  So for now, I'm just gonna say it's not clear to me at least and maybe someone who has time and interest can summarize it better.  I think KRL put up a post about this recently as well.

Sorry, man.

It's all good.  I think Week 1 is the important date.  If Week 1 happens, they can no longer push the salaries to 2021. 

Hence why the NFLPA was pushing for no preseason.  They didn't want the league to have 1-2 preseason games to test out their COVID precautions, only to pull the plug on the season just before Week 1 if things went to sh*t.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A big reason I say 1-year deal is not the cap space aspect.  It's the comp pick aspect.

I want Douglas to go hard after comp picks next season.  We still have so many needs, so we'll need to add some decent FA's.  Clowney would help us in the comp pick battle.

This man gets it!!! I don't see the negatives. There is no reason not to sign Clowney to a 1 year deal. He is a disrupter and must be doubled teamed. If he isn't getting sacks someone else will. He killed us the last time we played the Texans. He lived in the backfield. Plus it show's the team and the fans that we aren't punting the season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

This man gets it!!! I don't see the negatives. There is no reason not to sign Clowney to a 1 year deal. He is a disrupter and must be doubled teamed. If he isn't getting sacks someone else will. He killed us the last time we played the Texans. He lived in the backfield. Plus it show's the team and the fans that we aren't punting the season.

If its not Clowney, we should look to sign Logan Ryan and Everson Griffen to 1-year deals instead when the time is right.  

1-year deals for days.  Let's Ozzie Newsome/Moneyball this thing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If its not Clowney, we should look to sign Logan Ryan and Everson Griffen to 1-year deals instead when the time is right.  

Let’s get both Clowney and Ryan

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh, he’s a former #1 overall pick in his 20’s.  Probably odds are he’s much better than the late 3rd RD pic. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like this too...but would prefer Clowney.  We’ve been burned on so many CBs I have ptsd.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, he’s a former #1 overall pick in his 20’s.  Probably odds are he’s much better than the late 3rd RD pic. 

In which case we can always re-sign him.  With the uncertainty of the season even happening, a "show me" deal is all I'd be willing to extend.  But in return, I'd be willing to go pretty high with what I'd offer in the 1-year deal.  $20M fully guaranteed?  Sure, why not?