Clowney wants to play for Jets!

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If its not Clowney, we should look to sign Logan Ryan and Everson Griffen to 1-year deals instead when the time is right.  

1-year deals for days.  Let's Ozzie Newsome/Moneyball this thing.  

What’s wrong with getting all three ??‍♂️

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Jets have almost 20MM tied up in Quincy Enunwa, Josh Bellamy, Jamal Adams, Trumaine Johnson, and Jachai Polite. 

Which was the dumbest contract?

Enunwa after a broken neck

Trumaine Johnson mega deal

Jachai Polite getting any contract after his draft process?

The depth of McCoffee's incompetence is hard to fathom. Like if you tried to be as bad just random luck would prevent you from reaching his depths

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really.  If there's no real interest from any other team out there, Douglas has the ability to wait it out and see if Clowney comes down a bit on his demands just to ensure he gets on a team.  Bidding against himself would be a Maccagnan-like move.

With the uncertainty of whether a 2020 season will happen, the onus is on Clowney to be the one to blink first on this one.  Lock in those 2020 paychecks while you can.

I agree you never want to bid against yourself but there comes a time when u stop playing chess and just say I like this guy so lets go get him. its not like he hasn't had an offer. sometimes pennywise equates to no player. I'm not a big Clowney guy but I believe him to be a very good football player that does not cost draft picks. We have a need. He plays that need. Get him and players around the league will also take note. An investment for future free agents.

i

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Which was the dumbest contract?

Enunwa after a broken neck

Trumaine Johnson mega deal

Jachai Polite getting any contract after his draft process?

The depth of McCoffee's incompetence is hard to fathom. Like if you tried to be as bad just random luck would prevent you from reaching his depths

To me it was Bellamy as he was signed to play a role that should be filled by a young WR trying to make a name for himself. Josh Bellamy contributed nothing to this franchise and will earn $6MM. 

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Costello on WFAN made the point that they may want to use the $20 million in cap space as carryover into next year to extend Sam to a team-friendly deal and maybe trade and sign Yannick for 2021.

I think people need to give up on Yannick Ngakoue ever ending up a Jet.  Not only did he get in a Twitter war with the owner, he's really not a great athlete. 

Neither of those factors scream him being a Joe Douglas guy, and certainly not one he'll give up draft capital and big money to acquire.  Douglas wants elite athletes who are also high character guys, where possible.  Ngakoue is neither of these things.

We need an EDGE rusher badly but Ngakoue isn't the route to get there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Apparently he's willing to sign a one year deal but for in the high teens. The thing is when evaluating a contract the amount of money fans have to realize the numbers have gone up dramatically. Seattle wasn't willing to pay Clowney but they will Jamal. But a player at a certain level who a few years ago might have commanded a 10 mil per contract with 25-30% guaranteed the market is now higher for the same talent level. The pot for the players is being upgraded. So do the Jets want to spend this much money on him even for a one year deal. Do you think he's worth it. 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:10 PM, British Jet said:

Why didn’t he take that from the Browns?

Admittedly it was the Browns. 

The reason why he did not accept the Browns gig was purely humanitarian. How could he resist destroying Mayfield even if it is only in practice? He is a better man than I. 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, David Harris said:

Clowney would be exciting but he only got 3 sacks- jets are already good at stopping the run.  

He may not have gotten a lot of sacks but he got a lot of pressures. There were games where he took over. He runs hot and cold. I would not commit long term but a one year deal while we develop our young D-line and guys like Zuniga, no problem. 

11 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Costello on WFAN made the point that they may want to use the $20 million in cap space as carryover into next year to extend Sam to a team-friendly deal and maybe trade and sign Yannick for 2021.

Costello on WFAN should do a little more research.  It's not set in stone but under the current rules, with the CBA expiring this year, there is no carryover allowed.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-some-of-the-different-salary-cap-rules-for-2020/

7. There may be no Cap Carryover for 2021

Technically the CBA ends in 2020 so the concept of carrying over space seems unlikely. The last CBA was somewhat different with regard to carryover rules so its not fair to lean on that for information but it was a “start over” in 2011.  So it’s possible that the NFL would agree to just keep things going as if there was no interruption in 2021 but there is also no guarantee. Rather than chance losing it the smart teams should be putting voids and buyback options into player contracts this year which should be a way to accelerate future prorated money into 2020 and thus use up the cap room. Likewise if you want to cut a player who is underperforming you can do it after the season is over and use up some of that cap room that you have and get the player off the books for 2021.

It does seem like we could use some of that cap room to get out of bad contracts (which we have already been doing so I'm not sure how much remains).  But if we have some cap that is in a "use it or lose it" status, I'd rather see us use it on a player than on some new toys for Woody and CJ.

[EDIT: Realized afterwards that the OTC article was old and there apparently *is* a rollover this year]

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Is there an opportunity to sign Clowney AND trade a 2nd for Ngakoue?  They can still clear cap space by cutting Avery Williamson and/or Brian Winters.

I’d argue the Jets could do both, and sign Ryan.  Yes this doesn’t get Sam weapons, but it takes a hell of a lot of pressure off of him, think Bills, and Allen except Darnold is twice as good.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Costello on WFAN should do a little more research.  It's not set in stone but under the current rules, with the CBA expiring this year, there is no carryover allowed.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-some-of-the-different-salary-cap-rules-for-2020/

It does seem like we could use some of that cap room to get out of bad contracts (which we have already been doing so I'm not sure how much remains).  But if we have some cap that is in a "use it or lose it" status, I'd rather see us use it on a player than on some new toys for Woody and CJ.

The CBA was renewed man

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I have to think that a premiere Edge Rusher of some sort is the next target for the Jets.  We've been dancing around it for years.  I'd guess that if not drafted then we'll trade for a stud somehow, leveraging the picks we got for Adams.  

With Hightower, Cannon & Chung opting out in New England, the team to beat is Buffalo. And with our revamped backfield, and a bunch of bodies for GW to work with, Mosely & Williamson return, QW in his 2nd year, adding Clowney speeds up Josh Allens throws into the turf. LETS DO IT! 

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Lupz27 said:

I’d argue the Jets could do both, and sign Ryan.  Yes this doesn’t get Sam weapons, but it takes a hell of a lot of pressure off of him, think Bills, and Allen except Darnold is twice as good.

I love the argument “we have to save $40 mil in cap room to extend Sam”

If the Jets go 5-11 next season why would we even want to extend Sam?

• Sympathy 1